So U Ballin' - U Want 2 Buy A Ferrari

Heist

Rising Star
Registered
For the more well off on the board who want to drop big $$$ on a hot car ... like I always tell a lot of my new money friends who think they're balling, "Yes, you can buy a Ferrari, but can you afford to own one."

I usually get a strange look in return. But once I break it down for them, they get what I'm saying ...

Here's a perfect example of what it cost to own a USED 98' 550 Maranello.

http://www.sportscarmarket.com/articles/archives/939

I had a used 355 for less than one summer and after finding out what I needed to do each 12,000 miles to keep that bitch in top shape - I sold it at the end of the driving season!

It was the best investment decision I've ever made! :lol:

BDR

BeatDownRecs
BGOL Investor
For the more well off on the board who want to drop big $$$ on a hot car ... like I always tell a lot of my new money friends who think they're balling, "Yes, you can buy a Ferrari, but can you afford to own one."

I usually get a strange look in return. But once I break it down for them, they get what I'm saying ...

I had a used 355 for less than one summer and after finding out what I needed to do each 12,000 miles to keep that bitch in top shape - I sold it at the end of the driving season!

And this is news because? first off those exotics are not made to be everyday cars.

I would drive them maybe once a week for no more that 5 to 10 miles or once a month.

And of course if you can afford to buy one you can afford to maintain it and the insurance cost. Just umbrella the car under your homeowners insurance.

Diamels

Star
Registered
Just like upkeep on a large mansion can be killer. It is these costs that overlooked when purchases are made...

BigDaddyBuk

still not dizzy.
Platinum Member
cot DAMN...and i was bitching and moaning about my bimmer.

shit, it's like i'm back to driving my '94 Eclipse in comparison.

i don't care HOW rich i get, i CANNOT waste money like that.

Heist

Rising Star
Registered
Yea, it's some crazy shit. $2,900 for two new rear tires, oil and filter change, and coolant change.

The Enzo, that shit is even more insane.
A oil change is $600 and uses 12 quarts of a special blend designed by Shell specifically for the engine.

When it's time for a brake change all around, $25,000!!!

MoneyInTheBank

Unstoppable..............
Certified Pussy Poster
l_b6c15a0d17ba29075590964ee9794c5e.jpg

Deuterion

Support BGOL
Registered

The Europeans get by selling their expensive pieces of garbage off name alone and it's ridiculous. That's why I'm happy the Japanese are stepping up with the new Nissan GT-R and the New Lexus LF-A. Maybe they can show the Europeans that you can get exotic-ness with reliability too.

Deuterion

Support BGOL
Registered
Lexus LF-A

5.0-liters in its front-mounted V10, sending over 500 hp down to a transmission fitted between towards the back for optimal weight balance.

lfa_conv_live_15.jpg

lfa_conv_live_13.jpg

lfa_conv_live_26.jpg

lexus-lfa-roadster-interior1.jpg

dasureshot

Star
Registered
^^^^^Good Night!!!
That looks like a pure monster. Is this a concept or have they planned on mass producing this?? Better yet have then planned on mass producing and releasing it in the US?

Deuterion

Support BGOL
Registered
^^^^^Good Night!!!
That looks like a pure monster. Is this a concept or have they planned on mass producing this?? Better yet have then planned on mass producing and releasing it in the US?

Toyota hasn't made an official announcement yet but it is said to be released in 2009. The car has been caught testing on the famous track Nurburgring and has been shown at auto shows consistently which leads everyone to believe that Toyota has every intention to release it. Here's some pictures taken in 2007 at the Chicago autoshow of the coupe version:

lexus-lf-a---12.jpg

lexus-lf-a---01.jpg

lexus-lf-a---09.jpg

XavierBlack

Potential Star
Registered
Toyota hasn't made an official announcement yet but it is said to be released in 2009. The car has been caught testing on the famous track Nurburgring and has been shown at auto shows consistently which leads everyone to believe that Toyota has every intention to release it. Here's some pictures taken in 2007 at the Chicago autoshow of the coupe version:

lexus-lf-a---12.jpg

lexus-lf-a---01.jpg

lexus-lf-a---09.jpg

:eek:

sick.

Heist

Rising Star
Registered
As much as I love Japanese super cars, with the exception of the NSX - they always come up lacking in feedback. Technically and engineering wise, they can hang - but it's the analog feedback and tactile sensentiations that they can't get right.

They always numb things up too much ....

Case and point, albeit on a smaller and much less expensive scale - drive a 3-series and then go drive a Lexus IS300 and you'll see exactly what I mean.

Deuterion

Support BGOL
Registered
As much as I love Japanese super cars, with the exception of the NSX - they always come up lacking in feedback. Technically and engineering wise, they can hang - but it's the analog feedback and tactile sensentiations that they can't get right.

They always numb things up too much ....

Case and point, albeit on a smaller and much less expensive scale - drive a 3-series and then go drive a Lexus IS300 and you'll see exactly what I mean.

Comparing a 3-Series to a Lexus IS is like comparing a Mustang to an Altima coupe. Yes, they both have two doors but that doesn't mean they are competition. BMW first of all doesn't even consider themselves a luxury automaker and prides themselves on driving performance. Lexus on the other hand makes cars that focus on luxury, comfort, and reliability. That's not to say that Lexus cars are not agile or fast because they are but they offer a level of quality, reliability, and comfort that the other luxury marques can't match. Lastly, on your points about Japanese Supercars, the GT-R smacks down everything you just said do your research on it.

Last edited:

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Everything is relative. If you're worried about maintenance on a Ferrari, then that's not the car for you. And that goes for any car but that's a hard lesson to learn.

And if I had the Ferrari in the article, it would've been traded in once it started falling apart!

Deuterion

Support BGOL
Registered
Everything is relative. If you're worried about maintenance on a Ferrari, then that's not the car for you. And that goes for any car but that's a hard lesson to learn.

And if I had the Ferrari in the article, it would've been traded in once it started falling apart!

I hate when people say that, just because someone has money doesn't mean that they shouldn't have a concern with spending it wisely. I don't know about you but if I bought a Ferrari maintenance costs would be on my mind before anything because who wants to shell out 2k here and there when things go wrong. Second, the frequency of maintenance also comes into factor because if it was 2-4k every 50k miles that would be ok but from the articles it was about every 4-8k miles which starts to add up. Then you compare all that money you're spending to how much you get to drive it and then you realize it wasn't a good deal. Ferrari's are really nice cars but only when they work. Prestige is everything, it's like if Payless and Jordan released the same exact shoe under their respective brands...which shoe would most think was better? Exactly.

Thick Johnson

Star
Registered
No fucking way.

Whatever that shit was shoulda been under warranty or that shit
would be at a chop shop somewhere.

Any car you have to spend that much money on before 50k miles is a piece of shit
no matter how fast it is or how nice.

Heist

Rising Star
Registered
I own an f355gtb what type did you have. what kind of trands,what year?

97 GTS in traditional Rosso, no shields. I got it in March of 2005 sold it Late of October of the same year and only put on about 2400 miles.

I picked it up on the cheap (relatively speaking) because it was the year before the F1 tranny dropped and most of the cars without it took a bit of a hit. Not to mention it was in a minor front end accident before so I thought I was getting a mega-steal. Didn't really do my homework on the total cost of ownership, but I thought it couldn't be much worse than owning a Porsche, which isn't much worse than a BMW. I'd figured I pay a 10%-15% servicing premium...

WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG!!! :smh:

Once I found out it needed to have the timing belt changed every 15K(!) and that alone would cost me $5-6K, and that when I needed an Oil change I would have to use the special Ferrari blended Shell Oil at $25-30/qt, I fucking put that bitch on the FOR SALE block.

Heist

Rising Star
Registered
Comparing a 3-Series to a Lexus IS is like comparing a Mustang to an Altima coupe. Yes, they both have two doors but that doesn't mean they are competition. BMW first of all doesn't even consider themselves a luxury automaker and prides themselves on driving performance. Lexus on the other hand makes cars that focus on luxury, comfort, and reliability. That's not to say that Lexus cars are not agile or fast because they are but they offer a level of quality, reliability, and comfort that the other luxury marques can't match. Lastly, on your points about Japanese Supercars, the GT-R smacks down everything you just said do your research on it.

You don't know what you're talking about. Let's just say, when you were playing them on Playstation 2, I was driving them in real life. I have an SCCA license, raced half the road courses in the N.E. and Mid-Atlantic, and been through more heat cycled tires than you have condoms. Trust. :lol:

First, BMW considers themselves a premium brand. Lexus considers themselves a luxury alternative brand, so right there you have a difference in philosophy.

To your point, do you research - Lexus realized the best selling entry level luxury car in the world is the BMW 3-Series and Lexus who goal was to benchmark IS300 against it. It's whole reason for being in exsistence was to steal sales from BMW and create a new entry level luxury sport sedan for Lex. Thus the reason they went for to an inline six engine and rear wheel drive. Until then, no Toyota luxury sedan product used an inline six and RWD - they just duplicated BMW's formula.

As to the GT-R, it's a great car. I was the first to post what kind of beast it was going to be 2 years ago when the specs were released, but bear in mind - it's not the END ALL BE ALL. Again, the GT-R was benchmarked against the 911 Turbo and designed to beat that car first and foremost. They wanted to take a bite out of Porsche sales which has always been considered the "every exotic" sports car.

Now for what it has in techno wizardry, slick tranny, and grip and holding it trades off for being a HEAVY CAR first, and second being a little too computer controlled. Top drivers are saying it's so "smart" it makes you feel like you don't need to be there - like the car would rather not have you drive it since you're just messing up the computers guidance.

Again, like Lexus, and Honda, it's the tragic Achilles heel in Japanese cars - they engineer out the excitement and tactile feedback. It's the difference between a fast car and a fast "driver's car."

That's why I respect the NSX so much. It was a very capable and involving car. And that was because as opposed to letting engineers drive the development, Honda had Aryton Senna intimately involved with design and feedback and driving dynamic.

Last edited:

mk23666

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
That's why I respect the NSX so much. It was a very capable and involving car. And that was because as opposed to letting engineers drive the development, Honda had Aryton Senna intimately involved with design and feedback and driving dynamic.

This must be the reason they are taking sooooo long to bring the NSX successor out. They haven't found the balance.

Heist

Rising Star
Registered
This must be the reason they are taking sooooo long to bring the NSX successor out. They haven't found the balance.

Yes, that and the super car market didn't come back alive until the last 4-5 years or so, so there was no imperative. They wanted to spend the R&D on trucks/SUV hydrids and building out the brand.

Devilstrider

Rising Star
OG Investor
cot DAMN...and i was bitching and moaning about my bimmer.

shit, it's like i'm back to driving my '94 Eclipse in comparison.

i don't care HOW rich i get, i CANNOT waste money like that.

CO-SIGN! That shit was outlandish. You could buy another fucking house.