Seeing old Morris Day & The Time videos made me think...

CaliChampNo.1

Star
Registered
I don't know about you guys but I'm tired of the typical cookie cutter R&B/hip-hop shit. Watching the train wreck that was the BET awards reinforced my original opinion of the state of music today. Besides Prince, we need more real funky music like this back in the music game (or at least something similar)!

Blunt

Rising Star
Registered
i agree. i'm growing tired of programmed beats and the inability of rappers to give a good live performance

Music fans got sick of The Time after a half-a-minute too. One-trick pony in terms of their sound. Continuing to make movies with Prince was also a killer. (Morris Day's ego and madness didn't help.)

JD Walker

Star
Registered
The market isn't there. The music industry basically caters to dumb bitches who listen to this mickey mouse bullshit you see on BET.

Let's be real, who's at home watchin' BET all day? Bebe with with her litter of kids.

Simply_Black

International
International Member
I got sick of The Time after a half-a-minute. One-trick pony in terms of their sound. Continuing to make movies with Prince was a killer too. (Morris Day's ego and madness didn't help.)

FIXED ( speak for yourself 'shit head' )

DjMorpheus

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Music fans got sick of The Time after a half-a-minute too. One-trick pony in terms of their sound. Continuing to make movies with Prince was also a killer. (Morris Day's ego and madness didn't help.)
GottDAMN you're a fuckin dumbass mouthin off shit from your point of view thinkin it's the world's point of view.

Delusional fuck.

freshnclean

Rising Star
Registered
I don't know about you guys but I'm tired of the typical cookie cutter R&B/hip-hop shit. Watching the train wreck that was the BET awards reinforced my original opinion of the state of music today. Besides Prince, we need more real funky music like this back in the music game (or at least something similar)!

C/S...More original artists/groups who arent scared to be themselves and think outside the box...Back in the day, the majority strived to be different, nowadays the majority strives to be all the same..I hope the major labels lose all their money and crumble, so this shit can be built back in a form that allows ppl to be who they are artistically...The artistry is definitely dead, everything is in black and white...Most so called "artists" these days are scared to mess with different colors and paint pictures musically

CaliChampNo.1

Star
Registered
C/S...More original artists/groups who arent scared to be themselves and think outside the box...Back in the day, the majority strived to be different, nowadays the majority strives to be all the same..I hope the major labels lose all their money and crumble, so this shit can be built back in a form that allows ppl to be who they are artistically...The artistry is definitely dead, everything is in black and white...Most so called "artists" these days are scared to mess with different colors and paint pictures musically

:yes:

dzlkdd

Star
Registered

The worst thing about rap....

they sucked the funk out of R&B... then they killed the funk because you can't be funky and gangsta at the same time... :smh:

TB1996

Star
Registered
" black" music has been trash every since hip hop went from political message rap, to the trash that it is today. its soo bad that thugs even gasped at that bullshit on bet last night.:smh::smh::smh::smh:

Silencer

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
When "Jamie Starr" got bored writing their music, playing all the instruments and singing backgrounds on their albums they faded out.

They were Prince's hobby.

Prince wouldn't let them branch out when they wanted to. The success of Harris & Lewis as producers proves him wrong on that score.

Blunt

Rising Star
Registered
Prince wouldn't let them branch out when they wanted to. The success of Harris & Lewis as producers proves him wrong on that score.

Prince ALWAYS was The Time. Harris and Lewis weren't gonna get anywhere there as second and third bananas behind Prince and/or Day. They went as far as they could go.

Morris Day has severely limited talent. Mostly just showmanship, which got played-out fairly quickly (though it's fun now as nostalgia).

morris%20day%20what%20time.gif

Last edited:

VAiz4hustlaz

Proud ADOS and not afraid to step to da mic!
BGOL Investor
Prince ALWAYS was The Time. Harris and Lewis weren't gonna get anywhere there as second and third bananas behind Prince and/or Day. They went as far as they could go.

Morris Day has severely limited talent. Mostly just showmanship, which got played-out fairly quickly (though it's fun now as nostalgia).

morris%20day%20what%20time.gif

Blunt, I bet if we were talking about Wendy & Lisa or Sheila E, you'd come up with every excuse as to how they were first-rate talents hemmed up by Prince's ego, sexism and narcissism.

Blunt

Rising Star
Registered
Blunt, I bet if we were talking about Wendy & Lisa or Sheila E, you'd come up with every excuse as to how they were first-rate talents hemmed up by Prince's ego, sexism and narcissism.

Uhh, no.

(Though Wendy & Lisa have certainly done some good soundtrack work on their own. They weren't into the Prince trip. They were just good musicians who worked 9-5 for him and played along with the gimmicks.)

What exactly is the reason for your defense of Morris Day?? What's he ever done that's worth a damn since his riding-the-coattails-of-Prince days?

Last edited:

BIGGSARGE

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
Those Were Tha Days...i Need To Go To A Live Concert And See The Time, And Other Bands Of That Era. Todays Music Is A Bunch Of Nothingness And Nastyness W/o A Message Other Than The Woman Body.

VAiz4hustlaz

BGOL Investor
Uhh, no.

(Though Wendy & Lisa have certainly done some good soundtrack work on their own. They weren't into the Prince trip. They were just good musicians who worked 9-5 for him and played along with the gimmicks.)

What exactly is the reason for your defense of Morris Day?? What's he ever done that's worth a damn since his riding-the-coattails-of-Prince days?

Not necessarily defending Morris Day, but you seem to have something against him. None of Prince's proteges did anything significant, other than Jam & Lewis, after leaving him.

oolong tea

Rising Star
Registered
Well, are you ready for the return of rap groups as opposed to rap soloists? How about rappers that can tackle pianos, guitars, etc. live in concert? At least, Mos Def come out with rapping and playing the drums. What concentration.

I heard Lauryn Hill got booed once; she came on with a guitar on the set. With the advent of downloading, rappers are lucky to have whatever money they can get. I think in the next decade, we're going to see a lot of Diamond Ds, Kanyes and Soulja Boys: entertainers that program their own beats and rap.

VAiz4hustlaz

BGOL Investor
Well, are you ready for the return of rap groups as opposed to rap soloists? How about rappers that can tackle pianos, guitars, etc. live in concert? At least, Mos Def come out with rapping and playing the drums. What concentration.

I heard Lauryn Hill got booed once; she came on with a guitar on the set. With the advent of downloading, rappers are lucky to have whatever money they can get. I think in the next decade, we're going to see a lot of Diamond Ds, Kanyes and Soulja Boys: entertainers that program their own beats and rap.

Please God NO!

But, haven't Dre and RZA and Quik been doing this for years anyway?

Megazell

Star
Registered
If you really don't want to support the BS art that is out there - Hit up the local spots where music like what you seek is being played.

Once something goes mainstream you got to walk away from that shit if you want to hear some new sounds and get some consistent substance.

rNubb

Rising Star
Registered
I'll say it again. Performers perform. Singers sing. Musicians play music.

There has been a sharp decline in the work ethic of the contemporary musicians. They want record sells and ringtones downloaded. They want easy britney spears money. but forget that she tours.

What's the formula followed by BB King, Chuck Berry, James Brown or Bob Marley? Doing live shows.

If you have a band then you are looking for the next stage to perform on. Ask Earth Wind and Fire. Ask Maze featuring Frankie Beverly. Ask the Dave Matthews Band.

Record companies care about record sales. Musicians care about the next venue to perform.

Sheila E is paid, but it is not from record sales.

I hear Yung Joc say he was getting $85k a single show. Do you know how many units would have to sell to put $85k in his bank account?

These new performers are too busy trying to get sign to a record label instead of trying to perform.

Morris Day and the Time are still on the grind. My wife saw them recently. Live music ain't going anywhere.

Live rap is so lame. A bunch of lurking and inaudible voices talking over each other.

I have seen Chuck Brown, Teena Marie, Mint Condition, En Vogue, the SOS Band, Troop, Will Downing, Ready for the World and many others recently. They are all still in the game and making dollars. You don't need a #1 song or the Source Magazine or Billboard to do your thing.

Acur

wannabe star
Registered
A live band is great. Motown, Morris day, Mike, Prince, Teena Marie, Rick James and others all make classic music.

I've been to some what kids would call old skool concerts. I've seen Bebe King perform the show was live.

I've seen Teena Marie and Kemistry all in one show. They tore the house down.

Blaq

Boss Soul
OG Investor
I have seen Chuck Brown, Teena Marie, Mint Condition, En Vogue, the SOS Band, Troop, Will Downing, Ready for the World and many others recently. They are all still in the game and making dollars. You don't need a #1 song or the Source Magazine or Billboard to do your thing.

I'm listening to RFTW as I type this. How were they in concert?

dawilleyone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The Time is one of my favorit acts. But thats what they were an act. Even when they had Jesse Johnson , Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis back for the Pandemonium Album writing and producing, the only two tracks that charted (Jerk Out and Chocolate) were both Prince throw aways.

I'd still pay to see them perform live.

777-9311 is the funkiest bass line ever.

Gigolo's get Lonely too smooth groove

Girl classic slow jam

Chilli Sauce/If the Kid Can't Make You Come Classic Morris Day comedy

and of course

Jungle Love, The Bird and Ice Cream Castles for the Purple rain references

Last edited:

rNubb

Rising Star
Registered
I'm listening to RFTW as I type this. How were they in concert?

Melvin still has his voice. He got rid of the drip drip. They did there thing. The ladies seemed to enjoy his performance too. They performed for like 45 mins. I was impressed.

Melvin is a tiny dude.

Blaq

Boss Soul
OG Investor
Melvin still has his voice. He got rid of the drip drip. They did there thing. The ladies seemed to enjoy his performance too. They performed for like 45 mins. I was impressed.

Melvin is a tiny dude.

Cool.

Cuts like "Ceramic Girl" reminds me of The Time. I never heard their last album but even the album "Straight Down To Business" had a few nice cuts on it. "Would You Make Me," "Can He Do It," & the video version of "Straight Down To Business" specifically.

I agree with the OP, 99.9% of what's being played today is str8 garbage.