RIP Earl DMX Simmons

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

DMX’s Official Cause of Death Revealed
By Victoria Bekiempis

DMX. Photo: Taylor Hill/WireImage

DMX officially died from a cocaine-induced heart attack that caused a lack of blood circulation to his brain, a source from the Westchester County medical examiner’s office told Vulture. “It was cardiac arrest for a period of time, so there was no circulation to the brain,” the source said, later explaining that acute cocaine intoxication had “caused this chain of events.”

The “Party Up (Up in Here)” rapper, whose legal name was Earl Simmons, died on April 9 at age 50 in Westchester County, New York. Simmons was hospitalized on April 2. It was previously reported that he had suffered a drug overdose and a heart attack, though specifics were inconsistent.
An analysis of Simmons’s urine showed the presence of cocaine. The medical examiner’s office did not perform an autopsy, as they had determined the cause of death based upon documentation furnished by medical professionals and police, the source said.

The source explained that someone had called for emergency help at 10:03 p.m. on April 2, and paramedics were dispatched one minute later. They arrived on the scene at 10:09 p.m. and started trying to revive Simmons at 10:10. There was about a 30-to-40-minute interval between the arrival of paramedics and Simmons’s arrival at the hospital. Although his heart was revived at one point and there was a pulse, his brain was already dead.
“His death literally happened immediately because the brain was dead,” the source added.

“So obviously, there were a number of days where he was on ventilatory support and so forth in the hospital,” the source said. “However, he was diagnosed brain-dead early on … He never woke up from [a] coma.”

Murray Richman, Simmons’s longtime attorney, slammed unsubstantiated rumors that his death had anything to do with the COVID-19 vaccine. “Persons who made that statement had no basis to formulate a belief,” Richman said. He also confirmed that Simmons never had COVID nor did he receive the vaccine.

Following Simmons’s death, his family said in a statement, “Earl was a warrior who fought till the very end.”

“He loved his family with all of his heart, and we cherish the times we spent with him. Earl’s music inspired countless fans across the world, and his iconic legacy will live on forever.”

Simmons, who grew up in Yonkers, started performing in 1984. He made his name in the underground rap scene, initially as a beatboxer for Ready Ron and eventually with his own demos and mixtapes.

After Simmons worked with New York City rap titans Jay-Z, LL Cool J, Ma$e, the LOX, and Lil’ Kim in the 1990s, he ultimately signed with Def Jam Recordings. His debut single with Def Jam, “Get at Me Dog,” quickly became a hit, reaching the Hot 100’s Top 40.

He put out his first album, It’s Dark and Hell Is Hot, in May 1998; it debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 and is considered a 1990s hip-hop classic that solidified Simmons’s characteristically grave subject matter and his raspy voice. His eighth album, Exodus, was posthumously released in May.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

859ea425cca146a9bc8e528a9f20d852_md.jpg

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Ruff Ryders’ Anthem​

DMX
Lyrics About Tracklist Comments
“Ruff Ryders' Anthem”, released as a B-side to “Slippin'”, was the fourth and final single from…
Read More

1403.4K110

Translations

Ruff Ryders’ Anthem Lyrics​

[Produced by Swizz Beatz]

[Intro]
Uh
Something new

[Chorus]
Stop, drop, shut 'em down, open up shop
Oh, no, that's how Ruff Ryders roll

logo_7585.png

Kaliii “Area Codes” (Live Performance) | Open Mic

[Verse 1]
Niggas wanna try, niggas wanna lie
Then niggas wonder why niggas wanna die
All I know is pain, all I feel is rain
How can I maintain with that shit on my brain?
I resort to violence, my niggas move in silence
Like you don't know what our style is, New York niggas the wildest
My niggas is with it, you want it? Come and get it
Took it then we split it, you fuckin' right we did it
What the fuck you gon' do when we run up on you?
Fuckin' with the wrong crew, don't know what we goin' through
I'ma have to show niggas how easily we blow niggas
Lemme find out there's some more niggas that's runnin' with your niggas
Nothin' we can't handle, break it up and dismantle
Light it up like a candle just 'cause I can't stand you
Put my shit on tapes like you bustin' grapes
Think you holdin' weight then you haven't met the apes

[Chorus]

[Verse 2]
Is y'all niggas crazy? I'll bust you and be Swayze
Stop actin' like a baby, mind your business, lady
Nosy people get it too, when you see me spit at you
You know I'm tryin' to get rid of you, yeah I know, it's pitiful

That's how niggas get down, watch my niggas spit rounds
Make y'all niggas kiss ground just for talkin' shit, clown
Oh, you think it's funny? Then you don't know me, money
It's about to get ugly, fuck it, dawg, I'm hungry
I guess you know what that mean, come up off that green
Rob niggas on Ravine, don't make it a murder scene
Give a dog a bone, leave a dog alone
Let a dog roam and he'll find his way home
Home of the brave, my home is a cage
And, yo, I'm a slave 'til my home is the grave
I'ma pull capers, it's all about the papers
Bitches caught the vapors and now they wanna rape us

[Chorus]

[Verse 3]
Look what you done started, asked for it, you got it
Had it, shoulda shot it, now you're dearly departed
Get at me, dawg, did I rip shit? With this one here I flip shit
Niggas know when I kick shit it's gon' be some slick shit
What was that look for when I walked in the door?
Oh, you thought you was raw? Boom, not anymore
'Cause now you on the floor wishin' you never saw
Me walk through that door with that four-four
Now it's time for bed, two more to the head
Got the floor red, yeah, that nigga's dead
Another unsolved mystery, it's goin' down in history
Niggas ain't never did shit to me, bitch-ass niggas can't get to me
Gots to make a move, got a point to prove
Gotta make 'em groove, got 'em all like, "Ooh"
So 'til the next time you hear this nigga rhyme
Try to keep your mind on gettin' pussy and crime

[Chorus]

[Outro]
Talk is cheap, motherfucker!
You might also like

Love Language
SZA

Seven (Explicit Ver.)
Jung Kook (정국)

Special
SZA

Embed

About​

Genius Annotation7 contributors
“Ruff Ryders' Anthem”, released as a B-side to “Slippin'”, was the fourth and final single from the album, and peaked at #93 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1998. After DMX’s death on April 9, 2021, the song re-entered the Hot 100 and reached a new peak of #16, the week ending April 15, 2021. VH1 ranked it #79 on their list of greatest hip hop songs.
Producer Swizz Beatz provided some background information on the track in an interview with Complex:
I made the ‘Ruff Ryders Anthem’ beat in Atlanta. It was me just bugging out, having my New York influence and having my Atlanta influence. That track was the perfect blend which was awkward and different at the time because nobody had ever heard anything like that—including my clique.
DMX didn’t want to do it. He was like, ‘Man, that sounds like some rock ‘n’ roll track, I need some hip-hop shit. I’m not doing that. It’s not hood enough.’ I told him, ‘Yo, we can make it hood!’ […] Then he came in and did it and we were just hyping him up. The ‘What!’ ad-lib and all of that came about in the middle of us hyping him up. We left it in the track to add energy. Collectively, we came up with that vibe. It was his best shit at that time. Since then, X has trusted my judgment.
The background vocals and beat follow the rhythm of a military cadence. This reflects on the hook’s theme of being a cohesive unit.