President Lincoln was black?

ronmch20

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Who gives a fuck?. Lincoln freed the slaves not because it was the right thing to do but rather because he wanted to preserve the Union by defeating the Confederacy. As Nikki Says in "Great Pax Whitey", starting at 3:18 The Great Emancipator was a bigot.

Ceenote

Thinkn with My 3rd Eye!
Platinum Member
Who gives a fuck?. Lincoln freed the slaves not because it was the right thing to do but rather because he wanted to preserve the Union by defeating the Confederacy. As Nikki Says in "Great Pax Whitey", starting at 3:18 The Great Emancipator was a bigot.

Noted...but the only point i had was to show he was black n many other were as well.. thats all.. i wasn't getting into the political side of n e thing..but i understand

ronmch20

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Noted...but the only point i had was to show he was black n many other were as well.. thats all.. i wasn't getting into the political side of n e thing..but i understand

I hear you. My only concern was even if he was in fact black it's hard to claim him as such given he really wasn't the abolitionist everybody seems to think he was. His primary reason, and maybe his only reason, for freeing the slaves was to relieve the South of all that free labor and make it easier to defeat them militarily. That said I don't doubt, like you, that he was black and was passing for white like so many others did.

Ceenote

Thinkn with My 3rd Eye!
Platinum Member
I hear you. My only concern was even if he was in fact black it's hard to claim him as such given he really wasn't the abolitionist everybody seems to think he was. His primary reason, and maybe his only reason, for freeing the slaves was to relieve the South of all that free labor and make it easier to defeat them militarily. That said I don't doubt, like you, that he was black and was passing for white like so many others did.

Well i posted the video only cause i wanted n e one that was interested to watch how we can be deceived from barber shop talk and actually know that he never passed for white.. his skin is copper color..

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor

President Washington was black?

I watched part of the video, but stopped when I realized it ignored a lot of context.

There is a drawing of Lincoln presented like a Moore, the people have used Photoshop to make similar pictures of Joe Biden. You probably seen the meme of him standing outside of a liquor store wearing cornrows and a Newport sweat suit.

As for people referring to Lincoln's coarse hair and dark skin....

Keep in mind that back in those days the main beauty standard was to have pale alabaster white skin. Not only did it show off your European heritage, it meant that you we're rich enough to not have to work like everyone else.

This went completely contrary to the "Honest Abe" image. Lincoln was portrayed as a everyman who chopped his own wood and built his own cabin. Having tanned skin would be a part of that.

This was also a time when politicians used to insult each other by claiming their opponent was racially mixed, especially if that opponent was a Republican.

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor

Yes, he was a bigot! By today's standards he would be a monster.

But again, it comes down to context.

This was a time when abolition was wildly unpopular in most of the country. The Republicans were considered a fringe party full of radical upstarts.

If Lincoln, or any other candidate, had come out of the gate condemning slavery or preaching racial equality they never would have come anywhere near the white house. In fact, his damning quote about preserving the union without freeing a single slave was still so controversial that he never even made it on the ballot in some Southern states.

To make a modern comparison, imagine that "the squad" broke away from the Democrats to start their own independent party. Their main platforms are the green new deal, reparations, and the end of domestic terrorism.

What kind of candidate would they need to run to make these ideas acceptable to the American public?

Ceenote

Thinkn with My 3rd Eye!
Platinum Member
I watched part of the video, but stopped when I realized it ignored a lot of context.

There is a drawing of Lincoln presented like a Moore, the people have used Photoshop to make similar pictures of Joe Biden. You probably seen the meme of him standing outside of a liquor store wearing cornrows and a Newport sweat suit.

Keep in mind that back in those days the main beauty standard was to have pale alabaster white skin. Not only did it show off your European heritage, it meant that you we're rich enough to not have to work like everyone else.

This went completely contrary to the "Honest Abe" image. Lincoln was portrayed as a everyman who chopped his own wood and built his own cabin. Having tanned skin would be a part of that.

This was also a time when politicians used to insult each other by claiming their opponent was racially mixed, especially if that opponent was a Republican.

Even if i take what your saying in to consideration his own description of himself doesnt mean anything? Im not even talking about pictures. They are there just to give a visual, but his own description describes himself as dark complexion or did i miss something?

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
Even if i take what your saying in to consideration his own description of himself doesnt mean anything? Im not even talking about pictures. They are there just to give a visual, but his own description describes himself as dark complexion or did i miss something?

People spent a lot more time in the sun back then. As a result white people tended to be darker than they are now, especially the working class. Lincoln described himself as dark-skinned as a way to identify with the everyman.

Keep in mind that when Lincoln wrote that autobiography he was still president at a time when there was no term limits. It was a form of political propaganda, much like the autobiographies presidents write in modern times.

Ceenote

Thinkn with My 3rd Eye!
Platinum Member
People spent a lot more time in the sun back then. As a result white people tended to be darker than they are now, especially the working class. Lincoln described himself as dark-skinned as a way to identify with the everyman.

Keep in mind that when Lincoln wrote that autobiography he was still president at a time when there was no term limits. It was a form of political propaganda, much like the autobiographies presidents write in modern times.

I agree to disagree..cause to me what u just said dont make no sense!

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

President Washington was black?

serious question,

do you know of any cacs named washington??

I know Plenty of FAM but not too many cacs...

You want to hear another secret??

We didnt take on cacs last names..

THEY TOOK ON OURS...!!

cacs are the original slaves..

They owe us, because england treated them like shit,

we treated them like family,

and THEY TURNED ON US!!!

THEY KNOW WHAT WE DID AND THEY KNOW WHAT THEY DID....

they literally took part in the genocide of the people that,

Treated them like family.. the truth is coming out..

Ceenote

Thinkn with My 3rd Eye!
Platinum Member
serious question,

do you know of any cacs named washington??

I know Plenty of FAM but not too many cacs...

You want to hear another secret??

We didnt take on cacs last names..

THEY TOOK ON OURS...!!

cacs are the original slaves..

They owe us, because england treated them like shit,

we treated them like family,

and THEY TURNED ON US!!!

THEY KNOW WHAT WE DID AND THEY KNOW WHAT THEY DID....

they literally took part in the genocide of the people that,

Treated them like family.. the truth is coming out..

Agreed!! And o yeah my our next door neighbor growing was mr washington..trust me everyday im learning more n more! Including the names aspect

Ceenote

Thinkn with My 3rd Eye!
Platinum Member
You know good and damn well George Washington wasn't black and even in he was he was still a slave owner. His being black if true does nothing for me.

Well im not having baber shop talk.. but your talking about him owning slaves.. well many had to own their own families..before this slavery you speak of was indentured servants...which had terms/contracts. History and much info about it is not taught to you how it really was, but it seems you came to this thread upset already before you even have a look at the information!

Darkness's

" Jackie Reinhart is a lady.."
Registered
Well im not having baber shop talk.. but your talking about him owning slaves.. well many had to own their own families..before this slavery you speak of was indentured servants...which had terms/contracts. History and much info about it is not taught to you how it really was, but it seems you came to this thread upset already before you even have a look at the information!
Nah no that ain't it. I stopped reading at indentured servants a d owning their own families.

Ceenote

Thinkn with My 3rd Eye!
Platinum Member
Nah no that ain't it. I stopped reading at indentured servants a d owning their own families.

Here is one instant where a brother owned his on brother. Name of the book is "levelers and fugitives: runaway advertisements and the contrasting political economics of mid-eighteenth century Massachusetts and Pennsylvania".

ronmch20

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

This was a time when abolition was wildly unpopular in most of the country. The Republicans were considered a fringe party full of radical upstarts.

If Lincoln, or any other candidate, had come out of the gate condemning slavery or preaching racial equality they never would have come anywhere near the white house. In fact, his damning quote about preserving the union without freeing a single slave was still so controversial that he never even made it on the ballot in some Southern states.

To make a modern comparison, imagine that "the squad" broke away from the Democrats to start their own independent party. Their main platforms are the green new deal, reparations, and the end of domestic terrorism.

What kind of candidate would they need to run to make these ideas acceptable to the American public?

Pretty thoughtful comment and I agree.

scullydog

Rising Star
Platinum Member

If you look at the historical record, you will find that his mother was of mixed ancestry. She was in fact, black. They know who he was. There were four other men who passed for white who became president. There is only one president who didn't pass, and that is Obama.

scullydog

Rising Star
Platinum Member

Even in Lincoln's time he would be considered a bigot. It was acceptable behavior. Hell, it was expected. There is no contexted here. If you are a bigot, then you are a bigot. He was and most of America was. That goes down to a lot of folk who were in the anti-slavery movement.

COINTELPRO

Transnational Member
Registered
“As White as Most White Women”

The Gibsons were hardly alone in their journey from black to white. Hundreds of families of color had gained their freedom in the colonial era because they had English mothers, and within a generation or two, they could claim to be white. Their claims were supported by law, which never drew the color line at “one drop” of African ancestry in the antebellum era. Most Southern states followed a one-quarter or one-eighth rule: anyone with a black grandparent or great-grandparent was legally black, and those with more remote ancestry were legally white.

Because the slave owners were hammering away at their slave for many generations, some of them upon escape could gain their freedom by passing for white. It is entirely possible that Lincoln could be black. The South allowed people to be considered white if their black ancestry was remote.