Picard Patrick Stewart New Star Trek Series (February 2022)

Gemini

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Watch Patrick Stewart Announce His Return as Jean-Luc Picard in New ‘Star Trek’ Series (Video)

Patrick Stewart is making a comeback as his iconic character Jean-Luc Picard in an upcoming new “Star Trek” series for CBS All Access to join the year-old “Star Trek: Discovery,” the star announced on Saturday.

Stewart made the announcement in a surprise showing at the Las Vegas “Star Trek” Convention, and shared it soon after on Twitter. You can watch his surprise announcement at the convention above.

“I will always be very proud to have been a part of ‘Star Trek: The Next Generation,’ but when we wrapped that final movie in the spring of 2002, I truly felt my time with ‘Star Trek’ had run its natural course,” Stewart said. “It is, therefore, an unexpected but delightful surprise to find myself excited and invigorated to be returning to Jean-Luc Picard and to explore new dimensions within him. Seeking out new life for him, when I thought that life was over.”

CBS confirmed Stewart’s involvement to TheWrap.

The new series, whose premiere date has yet to be announced, will be spearheaded by “Star Trek: Discovery” co-creator and executive producer Alex Kurtzman.

Stewart carved out his place in “Star Trek” history while playing Picard for seven seasons on “The Next Generation,” as well as in four movies. The 78-year-old Englishman said on Saturday the the time felt especially right to bring the character back to life.

“During these past years, it has been humbling to hear many stories about how ‘The Next Generation’ brought people comfort, saw them through difficult periods in their lives or how the example of Jean-Luc inspired so many to follow in his footsteps, pursuing science, exploration and leadership,” Stewart said.

He added: “I feel I’m ready to return to him for the same reason – to research and experience what comforting and reforming light he might shine on these often very dark times. I look forward to working with our brilliant creative team as we endeavor to bring a fresh, unexpected and pertinent story to life once more.”

https://www.thewrap.com/patrick-stewart-new-star-trek-jean-luc-picard-return/

praetor

Rising Star
OG Investor
I like Discover it’s not bad I like it it just needs to be on terrestrial TV

Discovery can't follow canon for 5 minutes.

When the VR game Star Trek Bridge Crew came out, everyone was begging for a TNG bridge. Not one person asked for a Discovery bridge. Lol.

I think most fans liked Discovery in the way that a dude who's been locked up enjoys a fat nasty female prison guard, it's been a long time and it's their only option. :lol:

ThaBurgerPimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
I wonder what other Ex next generation stars will now say they want to come back

Marina Sirtis and Wil Wheaton probably calling their agents now :lol:

When the VR game Star Trek Bridge Crew came out, everyone was begging for a TNG bridge. Not one person asked for a Discovery bridge. Lol.

I think most fans liked Discovery in the way that a dude who's been locked up enjoys a fat nasty female prison guard, it's been a long time and it's their only option. :lol:

They starting to incorporate Discovery into Star Trek Online :rolleyes::smh:

Gemini

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I hope they go back to the old Klingon look. That's the only thing i hate about the new Star trek.

tumblr_pbgriodM4r1tt8mf2o1_250.jpg

tumblr_opdvzgtyUe1wohuxco1_500.gif

DKl_qMaVAAIe00v.jpg

DKl_oF3VAAMbn_h.jpg

DKl_YlLVAAANPfB.jpg

praetor

Rising Star
OG Investor
Marina Sirtis and Wil Wheaton probably calling their agents now :lol:

They starting to incorporate Discovery into Star Trek Online :rolleyes::smh:

Star Trek online is free to play. People were taking the "shut up and take my money" position at the thought of being able to sit in Picard's chair in VR.

man-machine

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I like Discover it’s not bad I like it it just needs to be on terrestrial TV

I mostly agree with you. Except its time for Trek to move forward. As I said in another thread here is a show about the future stuck in the past. Having Picard back will be nice but it is still going back to some degree although I would imagine he would be 20yrs further along in life. Even with that the last episode of TNG gave us glimpse of his future when he kept phasing in and out of time. So it will be interesting to see what they do with Picard without ruining that part of TNG mythos.

Nzinga

Lover of Africa
BGOL Investor
He killed the movies based on TNG when he decided that he did
not want to do any more movies with "dark themes", i.e, killing
bombing etc... He probably wanted them to do more operas....

Oh well, I wonder if Brent Spiner, Michael Dorn, etc will reprise
their roles... I do not think the series can be, or go, without Data

Last edited:

veritech

Black Votes Matter!
Platinum Member
Are the Klingons gonna look like Klingons again !?!

I hope they use the style of Klingon they use when the next generation was on

I hope they go back to the old Klingon look. That's the only thing i hate about the new Star trek.

tumblr_pbgriodM4r1tt8mf2o1_250.jpg

tumblr_opdvzgtyUe1wohuxco1_500.gif

DKl_qMaVAAIe00v.jpg

DKl_oF3VAAMbn_h.jpg

DKl_YlLVAAANPfB.jpg

i don't know what everyone's gripe with the klingon look in discovery is.

the looks of the klingons in the TOS and TNG were limited by budget and technology. the klingon look in TOS series is comical looking back. also the look of the klingons evolved through TNG and into DS9. specifically look at the klingons heads and teeth at the start of TNG and later. then into DS9.

i think that discovery is very well done and it is up there with TOS and TNG for me. voyager and DS9 were just okay for me. i think that technology has finally caught up with the shows. discovery keeps me on the edge of my seat just like the expanse.

i have no idea where all of this hate is coming from. just like the abrams star trek movies. they are great movies to me.

for what its worth i grew up watching TOS and actually watched TNG as it aired. both my parents are trekkies.

Last edited:

easy_b

Look into my eyes you are getting sleepy!!!
BGOL Investor

the looks of the klingons in the TOS and TNG were limited by budget and technology. the klingon look in TOS series is comical looking back. also the look of the klingons evolved through TNG and into DS9. specifically look at the klingons heads and teeth at the start of TNG and later. then into DS9.

i think that discovery is very well done and it is up there with TOS and TNG for me. voyager and DS9 were just okay for me. i think that technology has finally caught up with the shows. discovery keeps me on the edge of my seat just like the expanse.

i have no idea where all of this hate is coming from. just like the abrams star trek movies. they are great movies to me.
I like the Klingons on the next generation and the old Star Trek movies

praetor

Rising Star
OG Investor

for what its worth i grew up watching TOS and actually watched TNG as it aired. both my parents are trekkies.

Firstly I like tits and the old look showed off cleavage, but more importantly how do you make the new look make any kind of sense in the timeline.

They look like humans in TOS because they experimented with human augment DNA in Enterprise. So they found a way to reverse it, then made the same mistake again, then reversed it again??? It made a lot more sense the way it was before Discovery messed it up.

ThaBurgerPimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Oh well, I wonder if Brent Spiner, Michael Dorn, etc will reprise
their roles... I do not think the series can be, or go, without Data

Dorn probably will..Jonathan Frakes might direct a few episodes like he did some of the other Trek shows

The Pope

His Holiness Pope Francis
Registered
Picard's last canonical appearance was in the 2002 film Star Trek: Nemesis. Nemesissuffered from waning interest in the franchise, a largely unimaginative plot, and a director who had an almost comedically hostile attitude toward the franchise in Stuart Baird (he infamously referred to Geordi LaForge actor LeVar Burton as "Laverne" on more than one occasion). The film was met with hostile reviews and failed at the box office, abruptly ending the story of the Next Generation crew.

Perhaps sensing the end was near, Nemesis did manage to wrap up several long running storylines for its core cast of characters. Commander Riker (Jonathan Frakes) and Counselor Troi (Marina Sirtis) were finally married in a service officiated by Picard. Riker and Troi departed the Enterprise at the end of the film, as Riker took command of the USS Titan, leaving Picard without his longtime first officer. Dr. Beverly Crusher (Gates McFadden), Picard's oldest friend and occasional love interest, departed the Enterprise to head Starfleet Medical on Earth. Lieutenant Commander Data (Brent Spiner) sacrificed himself to save Picard from his own evil clone, Shinzon (played by a very young Tom Hardy). At film's end, Picard's surrogate family had mostly left him behind, with only LaForge and Lieutenant Commander Worf (Michael Dorn) remaining on the Enterprise. Frankly, Picard and his crew deserved a much better ending than what Nemesis offered them.
https://screenrant.com/star-trek-jean-luc-picard-story-nemesis/