Osso Buco with Polenta Recipe

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator
1577603137042.png

Osso Buco Recipe

Osso Buco Ingredients:
  • 4 pieces of Beef Osso Buco (Beef Shank), with nerves cut, and seasoned with salt and black pepper
  • 32 oz. homemade sauce, or store bought pureed tomato sauce
  • 9 Plum tomatoes, skin removed, some seeds removed and chopped
  • 3 cloves of garlic,chopped
  • 2 cloves of garlic, whole
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1/2 cup of white wine, I use Pinot Grigio
  • Olive Oil, for frying
  • All-purpose flour, seasoned with salt and black pepper
Polenta Ingredients:
  • 1 cup of corn flour
  • 4 cups of water

Osso Buco
Ingredients for Osso Buco
raw-meat-close-up-1024x683.jpg
Close up of Osso Buco
raw-meat-close-up2-1024x683.jpg
Osso Buco
tomatoes-close-up-1024x683.jpg
Fresh plum tomatoesWe will first start by preparing our sauce for the recipe. In a large pot, add about an ounce or two of olive oil, and put the heat on medium-high. Once the oil is warm, add in the chopped onions and garlic, and stir around with a wooden spoon. After about 2 minutes, you will add in the chopped plum tomatoes, give it a quick stir, then add in the jar of tomato sauce. At this point, you can lower the heat so that it has a slow boil. Now let’s move onto the Osso Buco.
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Coat each side of the Osso Buco in the seasoned flour. I like to put the flour in a big dish, then pat each side of the Osso Buco onto the flour. Next, in a big frying pan, add 2 ounces of olive oil and the 2 whole cloves of garlic on medium-high heat. Let the garlic fry for about 30 seconds. Then place the Osso Buco in the pan. You will cook each side of the meat for about 4 minutes. After you cook the second side, you can pour in the white wine. Cook in the wine for about a minute, then flip the Osso Buco to the other side, and cook for another minute. The alcohol in the wine will evaporate, meanwhile enhancing the flavor of the meat. Turn off the heat and set the meat aside.

Osso-Buco-cooking-1024x683.jpg
Osso Buco cookingNow in a big baking pan, coat the bottom with a few ladles of sauce. Next, place the Osso Buco over the sauce, and also add in the leftover olive oil and meat juices from the pan over the meat; you can remove the garlic if you’d like. I like to also cover the meat with a few more ladles of sauce before going into the oven. Place into the oven, and cook for an hour. Now let’s start the polenta.
Osso-buco-in-the-oven-1024x683.jpg
Osso Buco in the ovenBring four cups of water to a boil. Add in a teaspoon of salt, and about a tablespoon of olive oil. Next slowly add in the corn flour into the boil water while stirring with a whisker. Make sure to take your time doing this, or else the corn flour will clump. I’d recommend to add the one cup of corn flour over a period of 2-3 minutes, while constantly stirring with the whisker. After all the corn flour is added, set the heat to medium-low, so that it can cook slowly making sure it does not burn. Every minute or so, mix the corn flour with a wooden spoon. This will cook for about 20 minutes.
After an hour, the Osso Buco is complete and it is ready to be enjoyed with your side of polenta. I like to serve this with a little extra sauce covering the Osso Buco, as well as over the polenta. Salute! Cin cin!

Osso Buco recipe

OssoBuco recipe

Print Recipe
Osso Buco with Polenta Recipe

Today I would like to share with you my Osso Buco with Polenta recipe. This recipe is great for the meat lovers out there, and it’s perfect with either a side of risotto, or the way I like to serve it, with a side of homemade polenta. Osso Buco means “bone with a hole” and it refers to the marrow at the center of the cut.

Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time1 hr
Total Time1 hr 15 mins

Course: Main Course
Cuisine: Italian
Keyword: osso buco, polenta

Author: Pasquale Sciarappa
Ingredients
Osso Buco Ingredients
  • 4 Beef Osso Buco (Beef Shank) with nerves cut, and seasoned with salt and black pepper
  • 32 oz homemade sauce, or store bought pureed tomato sauce
  • 9 Plum tomatoes skin removed, some seeds removed and chopped
  • 3 Cloves of Garlic chopped
  • 2 Cloves of Garlic whole
  • 1 Small onion chopped
  • 1/2 cup White wine (optional) Pinot Grigio, or any other dry white wines
  • Olive oil for frying
  • All purpose flour seasoned with salt and black pepper
Polenta Ingredients
  • 1 cup Corn flour
  • 4 cups Water
Instructions
Preparing the Sauce and Osso Buco
  • We will first start by preparing our sauce for the recipe. In a large pot, add about an ounce or two of olive oil, and put the heat on medium-high. Once the oil is warm, add in the chopped onions and garlic, and stir around with a wooden spoon. After about 2 minutes, you will add in the chopped plum tomatoes, give it a quick stir, then add in the jar of tomato sauce. At this point, you can lower the heat so that it has a slow boil. Now let’s move onto the Osso Buco.
  • Preheat oven to 400°F.
  • Coat each side of the Osso Buco in the seasoned flour. I like to put the flour in a big dish, then pat each side of the Osso Buco onto the flour. Next, in a big frying pan, add 2 ounces of olive oil and the 2 whole cloves of garlic on medium-high heat. Let the garlic fry for about 30 seconds. Then place the Osso Buco in the pan. You will cook each side of the meat for about 4 minutes. After you cook the second side, you can pour in the white wine. Cook in the wine for about a minute, then flip the Osso Buco to the other side, and cook for another minute. The alcohol in the wine will evaporate, meanwhile enhancing the flavor of the meat. Turn off the heat and set the meat aside.
  • Now in a big baking pan, coat the bottom with a few ladles of sauce. Next, place the Osso Buco over the sauce, and also add in the leftover olive oil and meat juices from the pan over the meat; you can remove the garlic if you’d like. I like to also cover the meat with a few more ladles of sauce before going into the oven. Place into the oven, and cook for an hour.
Polenta Recipe
  • Bring four cups of water to a boil. Add in a teaspoon of salt, and about a tablespoon of olive oil. Next slowly add in the corn flour into the boil water while stirring with a whisker. Make sure to take your time doing this, or else the corn flour will clump. I’d recommend to add the one cup of corn flour over a period of 2-3 minutes, while constantly stirring with the whisker. After all the corn flour is added, set the heat to medium-low, so that it can cook slowly making sure it does not burn. Every minute or so, mix the corn flour with a wooden spoon. This will cook for about 20 minutes.
  • After an hour, the Osso Buco is complete and it is ready to be enjoyed with your side of polenta. I like to serve this with a little extra sauce covering the Osso Buco, as well as over the polenta. Salute! Cin cin!