Official 2024 NFL off season Discussion!!!

darth frosty

Dark Lord of the Sith
BGOL Investor
EzXiwH6UcAAHLNp

CurtDawg

Rising Star
Platinum Member
And the "dumbest mutha fucka of the year" award goes to.....

This just happened Thursday April 15th.....

Then just 2 days later, this happened on Saturday April 17th.....

:hithead::hithead::hithead::hithead::hithead::hithead::hithead:

Last edited:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Warrant issued for Seattle Seahawks DE Aldon Smith on battery charge in Louisiana
2:12 PM ET

210419-aldon-smith-ew-643p_03deb8679b96a492a0754b68e01577ba.fit-760w.jpg

A warrant has been issued for the arrest of Seattle Seahawks defensive end Aldon Smith for an alleged second-degree battery that occurred in the New Orleans area on Saturday evening, St. Bernard Parish District Attorney Perry Nicosia confirmed.

Nicosia said that Smith allegedly choked a victim unconscious during a confrontation that began inside a coffee shop in Chalmette, Louisiana, and that the warrant was signed by the court a day later.

The alleged incident rises to a second-degree battery because the victim was rendered unconscious, according to Nicosia. He said the victim was taken to a hospital but did not have to stay overnight.

In a news release, the St. Bernard Parish District Attorney's office said that the alleged victim suffered "severe injuries" and that an offender convicted of second-degree battery faces a fine of up to $2,000 and/or up to eight years in prison.

According to a news release from the St. Bernard Parish Sheriff's Office, deputies responded to a call for medical assistance, and when they arrived, they came into contact with a male victim who said he had been assaulted by an acquaintance of his. Detectives with the Criminal Investigations Bureau identified the suspect as Smith.

New Orleans television station WDSU was first to report that Smith was wanted for the incident, adding that some of the incident was believed to have been captured on video. Nicosia said he was not sure how much was captured on video.

According to a wanted bulletin from the St. Bernard Parish sheriff that was shared by WDSU, Smith does not have a local address but has relatives in the New Orleans area. Smith, 31, signed a one-year deal with the Seahawks just two days earlier, on April 15, after resurrecting his career with the Dallas Cowboys in 2020. Details of Smith's one-year deal with Seattle aren't known.

"We are aware of the reports regarding Aldon Smith. Aldon notified us and we are gathering more information. We have no further comment at this time," the Seahawks said in a statement.

Smith's agent could not be reached by phone.

Before his return to the field last season, Smith missed more than four seasons because of an indefinite suspension by the NFL for multiple off-field incidents and violations of the league's substance abuse policy.

Smith rose to stardom with a record 33.5 sacks in his first two NFL seasons with the San Francisco 49ers, with that total rising to a record 42 after three seasons. He was the seventh overall pick in the 2011 NFL draft.

But Smith got sidetracked off the field.

In 2013, he was arrested on suspicion of DUI after crashing his truck into a tree in a residential neighborhood in San Jose, California. In 2014, the NFL suspended him for nine games for violating the league's personal conduct and substance abuse policies.

In August 2015, Smith was released by the Niners the day after he was arrested on hit-and-run, DUI and vandalism charges. He signed with the Raiders a month later but was suspended for a year for violating the league's substance abuse policy.

Smith was released by the Raiders in 2018 after he was arrested on multiple charges, including domestic violence, assault and false imprisonment. Smith pleaded no contest to a pair of misdemeanor charges in November 2018 to settle his domestic violence case from earlier that year.

He was reinstated last year and started all 16 games for the Cowboys after signing a one-year, $4 million contract. He had five sacks.

Last offseason, cornerback Quinton Dunbar was accused of armed robbery two months after the Seahawks acquired him in a trade. The NFL placed him on the commissioner's exempt list, then removed him from the list after Broward (Florida) prosecutors declined to file criminal charges against Dunbar because of insufficient evidence.

Last edited:

darth frosty

Dark Lord of the Sith
BGOL Investor
Breaking down the NFL’s 6 new rules for 2021 season
A closer look at the NFL’s new rules for the 2021 season.
By Jeremy Reisman@DetroitOnLion Apr 21, 2021, 4:45pm EDT

1300903289.0.jpg

Photo by Patrick Smith/Getty Images

On Wednesday, NFL owners approved of six new rules for the 2021 season. Several rule proposals—like the Eagles’ fourth-and-15 proposal to replace onside kicks—were tabled for further discussion, leaving no major rule changes coming this season. Still, there will be some noticeable differences coming this summer, so let’s break them all down.
A list of the six adopted rule changes are here, but we’ll go into further detail below.
1. Eliminate overtime in the preseason
This one is self explanatory. Any of the (now) three preseason games that end in a tie score will remain a tie. Previously, overtime rules in the preseason were the same as regular season rules. Regular season overtime will remain untouched, but there will be no overtime in the preseason anymore.

2. Establishes maximum number of players in the “setup zone” during a free kick (kickoff)

This is a bit of an unknown rule, but in 2020, teams that received a kick had to have at least eight players lined up in what they called the “setup zone” up until the moment the ball is kicked.

For the receiving team, this “setup zone” is the space between 10 yards in front of the teed ball (the restraining line) and 15 yards in front of that. So if the ball is teed up at the 35-yard line (as usual on a kickoff), eight players on the receiving team had to be set up between the opponent’s 45-yard line and their own 40-yard line.

Here’s how it looked last year:

kickoff_line.png

The rule change is simple. Prior to this rule change, eight was the minimum amount of players in this setup zone, but there was no maximum. Now there is a maximum of nine, meaning there needs to be at least two players outside of this zone for the receiving team.

Why? Well, the reason is simply listed as “Provides excitement and competition.” The real reason likely has to do with low conversion rates of onside kicks. Previously, teams would crowd this zone with at least 10 players to recover an onside kick. For example:

kickoff_now_illegal.png

This is now an illegal formation. Two players will have to be beyond the 40-yard line, leaving fewer players on the receiving team to record an onside kick.

3. Replay officials can now provide certain objective information to on-field officials

The NFL didn’t fully adopt a “sky judge” this time around but this was a bit of a compromise. Now the officials in charge of replay can assist on the following new rule applications without the need for a challenge:
  • Possession of the ball
  • Completed or incomplete pass
  • Touching of a loose ball, boundary line, goal line or end line
  • Spot of the ball/player in relation to sidelines, line of scrimmage, line to gain or goal line
  • Down by contact (when not ruled down on the field)
These issues can still be challenged by a team, but now the on-field officials can consult with replay officials if there is a “clear and obvious” issue with the call on the field.

4. Ensure the enforcement of all penalties committed by either team on extra point/two-point conversion attempts

This rule simply adds these words to an already existing rule (new part is bolded):
If a foul results in a retry, Team A will have the option to enforce the penalty from the spot where it attempted the try (previous spot) or from the yard line for the other try option, the location of which is determined by any previously enforced penalty, if applicable.
I believe this simply means they will tack on penalties if they occur on back-to-back try attempts.

5. Add a loss of down to the penalty of a second forward pass

Previously, when a team committed a penalty for two forward passes on one play, the enforcement was simply a 5-yard penalty. Now teams will also incur a loss of down for the same penalty, in addition to the 5 yards.

This new rule addition also impacts the very rare occasion in which the ball crosses the line of scrimmage, then goes back behind the line of scrimmage, then a forward pass is attempted. That is still illegal, but it will now also incur a loss of down in addition to the 5-yard penalty.

6. JERSEY NUMBER CHANGES!

The NFL has limits on what positions can hold what numbers. The main purpose of this is to designate eligible receivers from non-eligible receivers. This year the NFL has loosened those restrictions, but kept the eligible/ineligible designations intact. Here are the new legal numbers by position:

QB: 1-19
RB: 1-49, 80-89
TE: 1-49, 80-89
WR: 1-49, 80-89
OL: 50-79
DL: 50-79, 90-99
LB: 1-59, 90-99
DB: 1-49

One note on this rule: If a player desires to change numbers for the 2021 season, they will have to personally buy out the remaining stock of their jerseys from distributors, according to ESPN’s Kevin Seifert. If they want to change next year, they are not required to do so. This is long-standing rule in the NFL, and it may cause players to wait a year to change numbers.

In addition to these six new rules, the NFL also adopted a new way in which teams will report visits. Here’s the specific language:
Amend Article XII, Section 12.4 of the Constitution and Bylaws to require clubs to submit tryouts and visits to the League office throughout the entire year; however, such transactions will only be reported to clubs from the start of training camp through the conclusion of the Super Bowl, unless it is with a Restricted or Unrestricted Free Agent.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

George Floyd's brother Philonise backs Raiders owner Mark Davis after tweet fallout: 'Let's take this breath together'
Jason Owens
Wed, April 21, 2021, 4:09 PM·3 min read

A day after a Las Vegas Raiders tweet stirred up a social media firestorm, George Floyd's brother Philonise is standing in support of team owner Mark Davis.
As teams and leagues across sports issued statements on the on the Derek Chauvin guilty verdict for murdering Floyd on Tuesday, the Raiders issued the following tweet:

The tweet immediately drew widespread condemnation on social media. The unclear messaging appeared to reference Floyd's repeated pleas of "I can't breathe" as Chauvin pressed his knee against Floyd's neck for more than nine minutes, resulting in his death.
'I can breathe' was a rallying cry to dismiss police brutality
"I can breathe" was also previously used as a slogan to dismiss the concerns of protestors calling for action after the police killing of Eric Garner. In 2014, New York police officer Daniel Pantaleo placed Garner in a chokehold in the moments leading up to his death. Like Floyd, Garner pleaded "I can't breathe" as Pantaleo maintained the chokehold.
Garner's final words became a rallying cry of protestors calling for police reform and accountability following Garner's death. Counterprotestors rejecting those concerns showed up to a rally wearing hoodies emblazoned with "I can breathe" and shouting "don't resist arrest" in an effort to blame Garner for his own death.

Philonise Floyd thanked Mark Davis for the Raiders' support and called for unity in the fight for social and racial justice. (AP Photo/Julio Cortez)
Davis wasn't aware of phrase's history, 'deeply dissapointed'
Davis addressed the backlash to the tweet Tuesday evening, telling reporters that it was his idea alone. He said that he strictly intended the message as an ode to Floyd's brother Philonise Floyd, who said in a news conference Tuesday: "Today we are able to breathe again."
"If I offended the family, then I'm deeply, deeply disappointed," Davis told The Athletic's Tashan Reed.
He also said that he wasn't previously aware of the "I can breathe" messaging surrounding Eric Garner's death.
"Let me say this right off the bat: I was not aware of that," Davis continued. "Absolutely not. I had no idea of that. That's a situation that I was not aware of. I can see where there could be some negativity towards what I said based on that."
Raiders didn't delete tweet
Davis declined to delete the tweet, telling the Associated Press that he wouldn't because the statement was already out there.
“It’s a tough situation,” Davis said. “I feel bad it was taken in a way it wasn’t meant to be done. That can only be my fault for not explaining it.”
George Floyd's brother: 'Deepest gratitude' to Raiders
On Wednesday, Philonise Floyd issued a statement supporting Davis and thanking him for his support while calling for a united front in the fight for social and racial justice.
“On behalf of our family, I would like to extend our deepest gratitude to the Las Vegas Raiders organization and its leadership for their support of our family and for our nation’s ongoing pursuit of justice and equality for all. Now more than ever, we must come together as one and continue on in this fight.
“For the first time in almost a year, our family has taken a breath. And I know that goes for so many across the nation and globe, as well. Let’s take this breath together in honor of my big brother who couldn’t. Let’s do it for George.”

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
@cli-terminator
Hey fam, do you think this is a good signing?
A one year deal, as a #3 or #2 RB? :dunno:
Maybe for some short yardage situations
I really don't know much about him at all...

Yeah he's a good RB. I would've loved to have kept him but I know he wanted to be a RB1 and that wasn't gonna happen with Saquon. I don't know how y'all will use him but he's a good RB that can catch outta da backfield. I don't think he's an every down back though