Obama Says Hillary Vote Opened The Door To War With Iran

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
source: Union Leader.com

Sen. Barack Obama: Five years after Iraq war vote, we're still foolishly rattling our sabers
By SEN. BARACK OBAMA

19 hours, 15 minutes ago

ON THE FIFTH anniversary of the Senate's vote to authorize an open-ended war in Iraq, we should resolve to never repeat the terrible mistake of launching a misguided war. But unfortunately, the Senate risked doing exactly that when it recently opened the door to an extension and escalation of the ongoing war in Iraq to include military action against Iran.

There is no doubt that Iran poses a threat. It has armed terrorists beyond its borders, maintains an illicit nuclear program, and its leaders have issued belligerent threats that are a concern to us all. But our first and most important avenue to contain Iranian aggression is to try the tough and direct diplomacy that the Bush administration has too often disdained. Instead of encouraging that diplomacy, an amendment passed last month by the Senate could be used by the President as justification to strike Iran under the authority granted to him by the 2002 Iraq war resolution.

The amendment, offered by Sens. Joe Lieberman and Jon Kyl, directly links the ongoing war in Iraq -- including our troop presence -- to checking the threat from Iran. The amendment opens with 17 findings that highlight Iranian influence within Iraq. It then states that we have to "transition(s) and structure" our "military presence in Iraq" to counter the threat from Iran, and states that it is "a critical national interest of the United States" to prevent the Iranian government from exerting influence inside Iraq.

Why is this so dangerous? The Bush administration could use language like this to justify a continued troop presence in Iraq as long as it perceives a threat from Iran. Even worse, the Bush administration could use the language in Lieberman-Kyl to justify an attack on Iran as a part of the ongoing war in Iraq.

As my colleague Sen. Joe Biden, chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee, said in opposing the amendment, "I do not want to give the President and his lawyers any argument that Congress has somehow authorized military actions."

He is exactly right. Because as we learned with the original authorization of the Iraq war -- when you give this President a blank check, you can't be surprised when he cashes it.

I strongly differ with Sen. Hillary Clinton, who was the only Democratic presidential candidate to support this reckless amendment. We do need to tighten sanctions on the Iranian regime, particularly on Iran's Revolutionary Guard, which sponsors terrorism far beyond Iran's borders. But this must be done separately from any unnecessary saber-rattling about checking Iranian influence with our "military presence in Iraq." Above all, it must be done through tough and direct diplomacy with Iran, which I have supported, and which Sen. Clinton has called "naive and irresponsible."

Sen. Clinton says she was merely voting for more diplomacy, not war with Iran. If this has a familiar ring, it should. Five years after the original vote for war in Iraq, Sen. Clinton has argued that her vote was not for war -- it was for diplomacy, or inspections. But all of us knew what the Senate was debating in 2002. John Edwards has renounced his own vote for the war, and he should be applauded for his candor. After all, we didn't need to authorize a war in order to have United Nations weapons inspections. No one thought Congress was debating diplomacy. No newspaper headlines ran on Oct. 12, 2002, reading, "Congress authorizes diplomacy." This was a vote to authorize war, and without that vote, there would have been no war.

America needs a leader who will make the right judgments about matters as grave as war and peace, and America needs a leader who will be straight with them. When I spoke out against going to war in Iraq in 2002, I knew that I was putting my political career on the line. Going to war was popular; so was President Bush. But I felt strongly that a war in Iraq would lead to an open-ended and destructive occupation of Iraq, and weaken us in the fight against al-Qaida in Afghanistan. And I felt a responsibility to say so.

Now, the Senate has once again voted for an amendment that goes out of its way to draw connections between distinct threats, and that replaces judicious policy-making with unnecessary saber-rattling. And once again, we hear that it is not really a vote for more war, it is a vote for more diplomacy.

But the way to support diplomacy is to actually pursue it, which is what I have called for in this campaign. Not the ad hoc Bush-Cheney diplomacy of not talking to people we don't like, but real, direct, and sustained diplomacy that exhausts all of our options instead of rushing to war.

In choosing their next President, the American people need to look at the judgments each of the candidates has made on war in the past, and at who has clearly learned the lessons of this disastrous war going forward.

This is not a debate about 2002; it's about the future, and in that debate I can run on, and not from, my record.

Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., is running for the Democratic nomination for President.

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Obama: Bye-Bye Mr. Nice Guy?

By John McCormick | Tribune staff reporter
7:35 PM CDT, October 11, 2007

It may be bye-bye Mr. Nice Guy for Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama, who said Thursday that he is opening the "next phase" of his campaign and plans to more pointedly and aggressively go after frontrunner Sen. Hillary Clinton.

"Now is the time where we're going to be laying a very clear contrast between myself and Senator Clinton," the Illinois Democrat told CNN. "Not just on the past, not just on Iraq, but on moving forward."

Obama's campaign has focused heavily on his biography, and he has been criticized by some supporters for not more forcefully challenging the New York senator, who has a wide lead in national polls and in some early voting states.

A tired looking Obama, speaking from Chicago on a day off from the campaign trail, said he is not concerned about his polling numbers and does not expect them to change soon.

"Senator Clinton remains the default candidate nationally," he said. "Those national polls aren't going to change too much until the early state votes take place."

An area where Obama plans to further challenge Clinton is on a recent Senate "Sense of the Senate" vote that the United States should designate the Iranian Revolutionary Guard as a terrorist organization. She and Sen. Dick Durbin of Illinois, a close Obama ally, voted as part of a strong majority to pass the measure, while Obama skipped the vote to campaign in New Hampshire.

"This is one of the problems with running for president," Obama said. "You can't always anticipate which votes are which, but I put out a statement at the time stating that this was a bad idea and that I would have voted against it."

Obama blamed scheduling for the missed vote.

"If you're in New Hampshire, then it's hard to get back," he said. "But this wasn't a close vote. What it should have been, though, was a vote that sends a message to the American people that we're not going to keep on giving George Bush a blank check, and that's just what we did."

Asked about Clinton as a possible running mate, Obama said he is not contemplating such matters.

"Senator Clinton is a very capable person," he said. "Right now my goal is to make sure that I am the nominee and that she is still the senator from New York."

In response, Phil Singer, a Clinton spokesman, said, "It's unfortunate that Senator Obama is abandoning the politics of hope and embracing the same old attack politics, even though one of his earliest and most vigorous supporters has said this was not a vote for war. If Senator Obama felt so strongly about this resolution, why didn't he speak out against it or vote against it?"

mccormickj@tribune.com

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...maclinton,0,27913.story?coll=chi_tab01_layout

nyyyyce

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Obama has got the funds to compete but not the heart. I really want to support this dude but he keeps f-n up big time. If you really read this, and understand what he is implying you will see that he is worse than Hillary on this issue.

I posted a link two weeks ago on this Kyl-Lieberman resolution vote. They even mentioned it at the last Dem. debate. Hillary got pelted good. I was happy about that. The sad part was that Obama was silent on the stage that night. NOT a PEEP from him on the issue (of any substance). Why, because HE DID NOT VOTE YEA OR NAY on the amendment. This cat left DC "without" voting?!?!?1 (He also backedout ton the moveon.org vote too). Gravel and even Edwards went on record exposing this faulty bill and Hillary's yea vote.

He now wants to get on the bash Hillary train?!?!? I sent an e-mail to the Obama campaign board. They said that "most people don't realize that not voting is 'like' a 'no' vote. BS. A "NO" is a "NO" vote.

Watch what happens when Hillary's camp tunrs their attention towards him and his statements this week. He needs to stop taking 20 minutes to answer basic questions. He is sounding too presidential for me. Mitt Romney lit him up, Hillary, lit him up, Biden and Richardson have taken shots at him and he is not deflecting anything well. I hope he gets his stuff together because he is squandering a perfect opportunity to capitalize on the disgust of the people IMO.

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The democratic leadership which is the DLC has decided that they want Hillary to win the nomination. Obama did not back out of the Kyle/Lieberman vote. Harry Reid, who is a member of the DLC moved the vote up and Obama was on a flight. In the thread I recently posted, Harry Reid, the president of the senate’s son is on the Clinton bandwagon. Obama made his views quite clear on the Iranian issue. Don’t believe the polls. Now I read that the media is playing up the fact that women (white women) would be happy to see a woman as president. Well, how about a BLACK MAN as president. White women have ridden the backs of black civil rights for too long. Obama has sufficient money to mount a strong campaign and the powers that be want to put space between Hillary and Barack before they get down to the debates, when they are most likely the two or three remaining candidates. Don’t believe the hype!

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Since Hillary came in a distant 3 in Iowa, I wonder if she will modify her campaign message to an anti war message. I doubt it. Take note DLC!