BrockLanders

Support BGOL
Registered
If this guy doesn't win boy oh boy!:smh:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/obama_college

Obama promises tuition tax credit
By NEDRA PICKLER, Associated Press Writer
14 minutes ago

TAYLOR, Mich. - Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama recalled paying off his own mountain of student loan debt and promised struggling college students Tuesday he would help them pay for school.

Obama said he would give students a $4,000 tax credit to help pay tuition and fees in exchange for 100 hours of community service. The campaign said the program would cost $10 billion a year.

"You get a hand living your dreams, and then you help your fellow citizens live theirs," the Illinois senator told a small group of students in a courtyard at Wayne County Community College. He listened as they told stories of balancing family demands, high fuel prices and school costs.

The event combined a couple of campaign goals, stressing Obama's plans to help Americans struggling in a tough economy while showing voters in the critical swing state of Michigan more about his modest roots.

Michigan Republicans have been trying to portray him as an elite senator out of touch with the daily struggles in the state, which has the nation's highest unemployment rate. "His two biggest accomplishments in the U.S. Senate are becoming a millionaire and running for president," GOP Rep. Mike Rogers told reporters in a conference call as Obama began a two-day visit to the state.

Obama began his speech to the students, recorded by a bank of television cameras, by telling them about his humble roots — a teenager mother and a father who left when he was 2. He also told them that his wife, Michelle, had a father with multiple sclerosis who still went to work every day at the local water filtration plant.

"I was given love, and I was given support, but most importantly, I was given an education that put me on a pathway to my dreams," he said. "The same was true for Michelle.

"Unfortunately, another thing that Michelle and I have in common is that we left school with a mountain of debt," he said. "Michelle I know had at least $60,000. I had at least $60,000, so when we got together we had a lot of loans to pay. In fact, we did not finish paying them off until probably we'd been married for at least eight years, maybe nine. And like a lot of families, we were still dealing with the cost of our own education when we had to start thinking about saving for our children."

Barack Obama graduated from Columbia University and Michelle Obama received her undergraduate degree from Princeton. Both earned law degrees from Harvard.

The Obamas income has spiked dramatically in recent years with high sales of his two books. They made $4.2 million last year, and Senate financial disclosure forms released Friday showed they used some of the money to buy college savings plans, valued at $100,000-$250,000 each, for their two daughters.

Earlier, he met one-on-one with dental hygiene student Marilyn Pace, who broke down in tears talking about how she is falling behind in school fee payments to pay for $4 a gallon gas to get to campus. Obama put his arm around her shoulders to comfort her and said, "You are going to make it. ... You'll be cleaning teeth in no time."

Suavehova

Support BGOL
Registered
wrd 4k? That might pay for parking nowadays. That would have been like a year's tuition back in my day. NOw it aint shiiiet

BrockLanders

Support BGOL
Registered
He said it would cost around 10 billion so I would have to say so. I am assuming 4 year colleges though not Community College just based on how high that credit is. Either way thats better than nothing because it only requires 100hrs of service thats not much at all. It's like you are getting paid $40 and hour to help the community.

BrockLanders

Support BGOL
Registered
wrd 4k? That might pay for parking nowadays. That would have been like a year's tuition back in my day. NOw it aint shiiiet

Depends where you go. 4k at a lot of schools is almost or is 1 semester. The idea isn't to give you free tuition but help student debt so when you get out and make paper you can get in the black quicker. Never look a gift horse in the mouth brother.

Chitownheadbusa

♏|God|♏
BGOL Investor
sounds kool to me.

but, i wonder how many tax payers wil bitch about this.
i mean they already bitch about their taxes going to people on welfare.......but dont bitch about their money funding crooked wars and goingg into private bank accounts...:smh:

this probably wont go to well.
especially if this is benefiting more blacks than whites.
dont all me a pessimistic...lets just say im aware of the country i live in...and the ignorant people i live around.

Slayde

Potential Star
Registered

But hey any little bit helps, and that would be 4,000 less you would have to pay. Hell I'd be happy with $400 to cover my books for a semester (Chemistry and Biology books are a bitch).

BrockLanders

Support BGOL
Registered
^^ I assume what they will say instead that it's an elitest policy that only helps those who are not blue collar. So essentially those who don't plan to go to college will be funding those who do. But if you look at it the poor could be helped because thats where a lot of the community service could be done. Only like 38% of americans go to college so we shall see. I rather have him talking about stuff like this instead of MCcain who hasn't said shit about any kind of change yet.

Dr. Truth

GOD to all Women
BGOL Investor
Why don't he just make college free for everybody. You just have to have the grades to get in.

moblack

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
And the tax payers who don't fit into his brackets will pay for this shit. Next story please.

DeSiRe

The Get It Girl
BGOL Investor
i was doing public service a couple times a week thru out college and im $40,000 in debt

can i get back pay or something:angry:

xeon

Star
Registered

Exactly!!

Depends where you go. 4k at a lot of schools is almost or is 1 semester. The idea isn't to give you free tuition but help student debt so when you get out and make paper you can get in the black quicker. Never look a gift horse in the mouth brother.

Actually there used to be many programs that helped people pay for college. Now they've all become loans that you have to pay back. So instead of being instantly productive when you get out of school, now you're in a mountain of debt. 4K is alright if your at a community college but a private school it just means you have 3 months before they come get you out of class.

4ce of n8ur

Star
Registered

yup. a significant percentage of students in the US - college - are going to state schools, JuCos, and vocational schools - where 4K is a whole semester of shit - especially if you commuting and not on campus.

this is a good look. he should also do flat numbers: top ten percent of your graduating class gets you free ride (instant admission) to state schools. top 20% gets you 50% off. something like that.

DeSiRe

The Get It Girl
BGOL Investor
Better start sucking dick, you'll make it back in two weeks.

come on...try again:smh:
you-not-funny.jpg

histick

Potential Star
Registered
sounds kool to me.

but, i wonder how many tax payers wil bitch about this.
i mean they already bitch about their taxes going to people on welfare.......but don't bitch about their money funding crooked wars and goingg into private bank accounts...:smh:

this probably wont go to well.
especially if this is benefiting more blacks than whites.
don't call me a pessimistic...lets just say I'm aware of the country i live in...and the ignorant people i live around.

Tax payers should be thankful something like this is even considered. Think of it as money for R&D. Never know when something a kid learns something in class that sets off an idea in his or her head that may end up being the foundation for a company (you know...those things that provide jobs?). Those employees then go spend money which helps to sustain and even create jobs.

I can see why you may have some concerns. The system could be abused just like any other system. Even if the system is only 30% effective, it is a step forward from where we are now.

^^ I assume what they will say instead that it's an elitest policy that only helps those who are not blue collar. So essentially those who don't plan to go to college will be funding those who do. But if you look at it the poor could be helped because thats where a lot of the community service could be done. Only like 38% of Americans go to college so we shall see. I rather have him talking about stuff like this instead of MCcain who hasn't said shit about any kind of change yet.

How is this elitist? They, I can assume you mean GOP, all probably went to some high end school. They have no business in calling Obama's plan elite.

Who cares about those who don't plan to go to college but will be funding those who do. There are people that pay a shit ton in taxes and will never get a welfare check, bother with Social Security, or any other of that shit. Why should they pay for someone else's? See where I am getting at? If anything, this country need more welfare geared towards education: it's the only acceptable welfare!

Our country needs more students in college especially students who come from families with no history of higher education. They are an untapped resource for innovation.

I think one thing that Obama ought to mention is that teachers need to step forward and expose students to the school money available to them. Our school system needs such a big overhaul it is not even funny. Students and their parents could use a kick in the ass as well.