Oakland

cocobeauty

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Ok, I will be in Oakland, CA for the weekend for a family event. We're flying into Oakland, but the event is in Discovery Bay. Anything special about this area, any good restaurants, or should the name Oakland put fear in me?

We will only be there for a couple of days...all day Friday and all day Saturday.

followup

BGOL Investor
this weekend? there is lots to do in the bay area, but discovery bay is kinda out there..if you like reggae & dancehall, reggae gold is going down in SF...there is tons of stuff to do in Oakland specifically though if that is the main place you are going. What are you into and will there be any kids?

cocobeauty

Rising Star
Super Moderator
this weekend? there is lots to do in the bay area, but discovery bay is kinda out there..if you like reggae & dancehall, reggae gold is going down in SF...there is tons of stuff to do in Oakland specifically though if that is the main place you are going. What are you into and will there be any kids?

No kids and reggae is fine. Discovery Bay is where the wedding is according to the invitation.

followup

BGOL Investor
Oh ok.
Out near discovery Bay, nothing to do really except go out to eat...
Oakland:
Yoshis: Jazz club & Japanese restaurant.....En Vogue is going to be playing there this weekend
Era: wine bar, with house/world/dance music. sometimes people dance, sometimes they don't. 'eclectic' mix of people
Somar: jeans & sneakers type of hip hop club. most of the time it's old school rap & occasional new 'backpacker' type of rappers
Lukas lounge: weird ass place that is always crowded :confused: the beignets with that chocolate dipping sauce are the shit though
Mimosa: 'champagne' lounge, but they sometimes have live entertainment
Air: my favorite place...hot as hell inside when it gets crowded, but the music is always cool...doesn't start popping until 11 or after LOL. black club, but then you get a few 'others' dropping in
Shashamane: bar & Ethiopian/Mediterranean fusion restaurant. but they recently changed the menu and it's mostly Ethiopian flavors now...live music on Fridays & Saturdays, but you might get caught like I did one night with the 'one man band' :smh: :hmm: :rolleyes:
Lucky Lounge: boring as hell & small :smh:

Pleasanton: Tommy T's--food & comedy :yes:

If I think of anywhere else I'll tell you. the things i listed are mostly night life but there are a few things to do during the day time. No need to be scared. Act the same as you would when you go out where ever you are from.

followup

BGOL Investor
No problem
Mua: in Oakland. trendy place....crowd is mixed at any given time, laid back

lightweightplaya

Rising Star
Registered
raphael saadiq is performing not this weekend but the following in san francisco. Forget where in the city (check his website for info) but at 50 bones a ticket with seats still available should be a nice time in the city.