NFL Debate: Cam Newton Named Most Underrated, Kirk Cousins Overrated QB in Defensive Survey

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Cam Newton, Kirk Cousins Named Most Underrated, Overrated QB in Defensive Survey
SCOTT POLACEKJANUARY 10, 2019

hi-res-a3a72705b12bafc82bc546adc5b2ff06_crop_north.jpg

Butch Dill/Associated Press
Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton and Minnesota Vikings quarterback Kirk Cousins both missed the playoffs, but they came in on opposite ends of the spectrum in an anonymous survey of 85 defensive players from 25 different teams conducted by The Athletic.

Newton received the most votes as the league's most underrated quarterback, while Cousins topped the list of the most overrated ones.

Philip Rivers and Alex Smith rounded out the top three in the underrated category, while Russell Wilson, Mitchell Trubisky, Drew Brees and Lamar Jackson notched multiple votes.

Eli Manning was the runner-up as the most overrated signal-caller, although Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan, Matthew Stafford, Tom Brady, Derek Carr, Andy Dalton, Dak Prescott, Jameis Winston and Sam Bradford all received multiple votes.

"Most quarterbacks are overrated," one defender said. "People think they're great if they win even if there are a lot of other factors."

One Houston Texans defensive back provided an amusing answer when asked which QB was the most overrated. Per Aaron Reiss of The Athletic, when he was reminded the survey was anonymous, the DB responded: "Man, I don't give a s--t. Blake Bortles."

It is interesting that many players see Newton as the most underrated given his long list of accolades. He has been in the public eye since he won a Heisman Trophy and national title at Auburn in 2010 and parlayed his collegiate career into becoming the No. 1 overall pick in the 2011 draft.

Since then, he's won Offensive Rookie of the Year and a league MVP award, appeared in a Super Bowl, made three Pro Bowls and been the face of multiple commercials. While those accomplishments aren't typically associated with someone who's underrated, it is a testament to his talent that so many defensive players saw him as such.

It is perhaps a nod to the fact that he often isn't discussed in the same manner as Brady, Brees and Aaron Rodgers among the best signal-callers in the league. As well, defenders who have to tackle him at 6'5" and 245 pounds likely respect his ability to make plays while keeping Carolina's passing attack afloat.

As for Cousins, he has appeared in only two playoff games—both losses when he was in Washington—and has one Pro Bowl nod.

He took over a Vikings team that was on the doorstep of the Super Bowl last season in the NFC Championship Game with Case Keenum at the helm. The Vikings didn't even make the playoffs in 2018 despite still having receivers Adam Thielen and Stefon Diggs on the outside and a strong defense that returned many of its key players.

The Michigan State product's contract likely played a factor in his being named the league's most overrated quarterback. The Vikings gave him a fully guaranteed three-year, $84 million deal.

That was a lot of money to pay someone who went 3-4 down the stretch and put up a measly 10 points in must-win Week 17 game against the Chicago Bears.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...t-underrated-overrated-qb-in-defensive-survey

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
I see Brady got votes for overrated. He got people mad as fuck. :lol: 20 years of winning. :roflmao: @ Cousins. Redskins fucked up taking him and RG3. Both those cats are bum QBs. Cam is the truth. Hope they rely less on his feet so he can play to 40 like Brees, Brady, Rivers and them.

kirkout

DCPG
BGOL Investor
I see Brady got votes for overrated. He got people mad as fuck. :lol: 20 years of winning. :roflmao: @ Cousins. Redskins fucked up taking him and RG3. Both those cats are bum QBs. Cam is the truth. Hope they rely less on his feet so he can play to 40 like Brees, Brady, Rivers and them.
Hold.On.Now. You getting ahead of yourself. RG3 wasn’t a bum. After his 3rd torn acl he just wasn’t the same. He balled out his rookie year until he meet Haloti Nagta and the Ravens defense and they crushed that bama’s knee. After that his ego and pride was on full display and he wouldn’t humble himself and get out of his own way. He was truly special. He could make all the throws and had 4.2 speed. Damn...to the good times. *Tear drops*

Mo-Better

The R&B Master
OG Investor
Cam IMO is overrated. I think he would be much better if he focused on the game and "his game" instead of worrying about his celebration routines before they score. He's had some big wins but not enough to be rated as high as he is presently.

code_pirahna

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The NFL is so full of it......Like this game coming up....over 70% of the league is black yet they want to make the narrative Brady vs. Rivers.......and if the QBs aren t good they make it about the White coaches who don't play a down....

man racism is so real

pookie

Thinking of a Master Plan
BGOL Investor
Cam IMO is overrated. I think he would be much better if he focused on the game and "his game" instead of worrying about his celebration routines before they score. He's had some big wins but not enough to be rated as high as he is presently.

Cam Newton is like Michael Vick was, instead of doing what he’s good at, running when it’s needed, he’s constantly trying to do the things those annoying sports reporters and writers say he can’t do well. I remember when Michael Vick would have a good passing game and didn’t run as much he’d always mention it in the post game interviews, Cam is the same way. Dark Prescott is like that too, he actually hurts the Cowboys by not running, for some reason Russell Wilson is praised for his scrambling around and running.

Oh yeah I hate Cam and his celebrations, I wouldn’t mind it but as soon as his team is behind instead of pumping his teammates up he’s sitting over there with a towel on his head. When the team is winning is all at the press conference dressed like a woman or a clown, making jokes but when they’re losing he’s up there sulking, not wanting to talk and acting like the reporters are getting on his nerve

Last edited:
Reactions: flx

BlackGoku

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Cam Newton is like Michael Vick was, instead of doing what he’s good at, running when it’s needed, he’s constantly trying to do the things those annoying sports reporters and writers say he can’t do well. I remember when Michael Vick would have a good passing game and didn’t run as much he’d always mention it in the post game interviews, Cam is the same way. Dark Prescott is like that too, he actually hurts the Cowboys by not running, for some reason Russell Wilson is praised for his scrambling around and running.

Oh yeah I hate Cam and his celebrations, I wouldn’t mind it but as soon as his team is behind instead of pumping his teammates up he’s sitting over there with a towel on his head. When the team is winning is all at the press conference dressed like a woman or a clown, making jokes but when they’re losing he’s up there sulking, not wanting to talk and acting like the reporters are getting on his nerve

He doesn't do that anymore...but it dont even matter at this point...he's pretty much an entire season to get right...here's hoping for a GREAT 2020...wherever he plays

g0nbad real bad

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Cam played for a shit organization that NEVER built him a decent O-line. Not only that said fuck weapons and got rid of his receivers.

They had the #1 pick to get him for a reason. Since then if not for Cam they would still be.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Cam Newton is definitely better than plenty of starting quarterbacks
Posted by Mike Florio on February 23, 2021, 3:47 PM EST

Soon-to-be-free-agent quarterback Cam Newton recently declared that there aren’t 32 quarterbacks better than him. He’s right.

On Tuesday’s PFT Live, Simms and I went through all 32 teams and identified several starting (for now) quarterbacks who aren’t as good, in our view, as Newton.

Check out the attached video for the full discussion. Or keep reading. (Or both.)

This isn’t about potential destinations or fit or whatever. It’s a simple yes-or-no, up-or-down look at whether Newton is better or not better than the quarterback in question.

Newton is better than, in our view: Patriots quarterback Jarrett Stidham, Jaguars quarterbacks Gardner Minshew and Mike Glennon, Broncos quarterback Drew Lock, Eagles quarterback Jalen Hurts, Washington quarterbacks Alex Smith and Taylor Heinicke (and Kyle Allen, whom we didn’t specifically mention), Bears quarterbacks Nick Foles and Mitchell Trubisky, Lions quarterback Jared Goff, Panthers quarterback Teddy Bridgewater, and 49ers quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo.

We flagged two as toss-ups: Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and Giants quarterback Daniel Jones.
Here’s the part where I invite you to agree or disagree in the comments. Here’s the part where I acknowledge that you need no express invitation to do that.

BATMAN

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Forgot about those guys. He is better than those guys. With the way the season went, maybe he wasn't as prepared? Hope he gets the chance to show and prove.

Cam Newton is definitely better than plenty of starting quarterbacks
Posted by Mike Florio on February 23, 2021, 3:47 PM EST

Soon-to-be-free-agent quarterback Cam Newton recently declared that there aren’t 32 quarterbacks better than him. He’s right.

On Tuesday’s PFT Live, Simms and I went through all 32 teams and identified several starting (for now) quarterbacks who aren’t as good, in our view, as Newton.

Check out the attached video for the full discussion. Or keep reading. (Or both.)

This isn’t about potential destinations or fit or whatever. It’s a simple yes-or-no, up-or-down look at whether Newton is better or not better than the quarterback in question.

Newton is better than, in our view: Patriots quarterback Jarrett Stidham, Jaguars quarterbacks Gardner Minshew and Mike Glennon, Broncos quarterback Drew Lock, Eagles quarterback Jalen Hurts, Washington quarterbacks Alex Smith and Taylor Heinicke (and Kyle Allen, whom we didn’t specifically mention), Bears quarterbacks Nick Foles and Mitchell Trubisky, Lions quarterback Jared Goff, Panthers quarterback Teddy Bridgewater, and 49ers quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo.

We flagged two as toss-ups: Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and Giants quarterback Daniel Jones.
Here’s the part where I invite you to agree or disagree in the comments. Here’s the part where I acknowledge that you need no express invitation to do that.