MOVIES ~ Any of ya'll seen any good (or shitty) movies in recent weeks/months? Post reviews, feedback, movie news, trailers, recommendations, etc ...

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
If anyone's looking for a documentary to check out, here's a recommendation from one of the sports shows I listen to. One of the co-hosts said it's a good watch ... I think I'll check it out next week. Strong aggregate ratings & reviews on RT ...

Assassins is a 2020 American documentary film, directed and produced by Ryan White. It talks about the Assassination of Kim Jong-nam and the two assassins who were tricked.

The film follows the assassination of Kim Jong-nam, as he is assassinated by two young women who were tricked and thought they were participating in a prank show.

The film had its world premiere at the Sundance Film Festival on January 26, 2020. It was released on December 11, 2020 by Greenwich Entertainment.

The film had its world premiere at the Sundance Film Festival on January 26, 2020.[2] Shortly after, Magnolia Pictures acquired distribution rights to the film.[3] Due to the subject matter, the film struggled to find distribution, with Magnolia opting to release the film internationally instead, and Hulu acquiring rights to the film before dropping it.[4] In September 2020, Greenwich Entertainment acquired U.S. distribution rights to the film.[5] It is scheduled to be released on December 11, 2020.[6]

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
Both of these movies are two different ways one chooses to cope with grief

I enjoyed it. Might not be for everyone, but it's a deep and introspective story. I enjoyed the pacing, because it could have easily gotten boring. Robin Wright did a solid job and you felt her pain.

Frances McDormand is one of the best actors working. Very underrated. Interesting story, I guess you can say it's based on true events, because people really live like this and a lot of people are real people.

Swanky and Linda are so dope.

Just like Land, if it wasn't so well done it could have easily been boring.

Both of the movies are inspiring and uplifting.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
I care alot is great
Bout to watch Dead Pigs

Dead Pigs (Chinese: 海上浮城) is a 2018 comedy drama film written and directed by Cathy Yan in her directorial feature film debut. It stars Vivian Wu, Haoyu Yang, Mason Lee, Meng Li, and David Rysdahl. The film had its world premiere in the World Cinema Dramatic Competition section at the 2018 Sundance Film Festival on January 19, 2018.[1][2] It was released worldwide on February 12, 2021 on Mubi.[3]

On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 95% based on 19 reviews, and an average rating of 7.7/10.[12] On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 72 out of 100 based on 9 reviews.[13]

Justin Lowe of The Hollywood Reporter described the film as "a dark, quirky comedy that peels back the layers of contemporary Mainland mores and reveals a group of people almost completely deracinated by their quest to get ahead in a society buffeted by rapidly shifting cultural expectations."[14] Jessica Kiang of Variety wrote, "Yan's film, with its dancing girls, pigeon-fancying beauticians, Westerners-on-the-make and spontaneous musical numbers, is an antidote to China's weightier arthouse output, settling the stomach after too much stolid social realism, effervescent as an alka-seltzer."[15]

D@mnphins

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Any recommendations of good horror flicks for the wife. She has seen all the Annabelle Conjuring types, Hil House and Bly Manor. She is not down with reading subtitles, though. Every weekend she complains she cant find any good ones on Netflix or Amazon. Has anyone tried Shudder.

Thanks

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Any recommendations of good horror flicks for the wife. She has seen all the Annabelle Conjuring types, Hil House and Bly Manor. She is not down with reading subtitles, though. Every weekend she complains she cant find any good ones on Netflix or Amazon. Has anyone tried Shudder.

Thanks

I haven't seen too many from the genre, but here's some suggestions ...

havelcok

Rising Star
Platinum Member

Thanks

if she does not like subtitles
then she is missing out

the wailing is legit the best horror movie i have ever watched

but anyways

suspuria
the dark and the wicked
hunter hunter
midsommar
mute witness
it follows

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
If interested, scroll back in these threads as the first 2 links are hundreds of pages long ...

Last edited:

Tdot_firestarta

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Thanks

I'm not a huge horror fan but I enjoyed "hereditary" and "the invitation" a couple years back...and more recently "the rental"

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
I'm not a huge horror fan but I enjoyed "hereditary" and "the invitation" a couple years back...and more recently "the rental"

Thought The Rental was pretty good too. Good 1st effort from Franco behind the camera.

The Rental is a 2020 American horror film produced and directed by Dave Franco, in his feature directorial debut. Franco co-wrote the screenplay with Joe Swanberg from a story by Franco, Swanberg and Mike Demski. It stars Dan Stevens, Alison Brie, Sheila Vand, Jeremy Allen White, and Toby Huss, and follows two couples who begin to suspect they are being watched in the house they rented.

The film was released on video-on-demand and in select theaters in the United States on July 24, 2020, by IFC Films. It received generally positive reviews from critics, and became the second film to ever top VOD charts and the box office in the same weekend.

yourreplacement

Rising Star
OG Investor
I Care A Lot - Peter Dinklage/Rosemond Pike (Netflix)

I don't want to give it away. True shit. Hustle/Predator/Prey

Screenshot-20210220-000615-IMDb.jpg

I enjoyed this movie

D@mnphins

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
if she does not like subtitles
then she is missing out

the wailing is legit the best horror movie i have ever watched

but anyways

suspuria
the dark and the wicked
hunter hunter
midsommar
mute witness
it follows
I will check out the Wailing for myself. Which Suspuria is better cause thats a remake right.

I had recorded It Follows but she watched it then deleted and tell me she liked it. I said you do realize i recorded it to watch it myself.

havelcok

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I will check out the Wailing for myself. Which Suspuria is better cause thats a remake right.

I had recorded It Follows but she watched it then deleted and tell me she liked it. I said you do realize i recorded it to watch it myself.

The wailing is amazing

Asia got a ton of great horror movies that are well worth the watch
way better than the west

check out

bedevilled- absolutely awesome movie
dark waters
ringu
the grudge
The wrath

i like the original best
but she might like the remake- its pretty good

I forgot 1922 on netflix is very very good
doctor sleep
the invisible man
cargo
it comes at night

Last edited:

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
The wailing is amazing

Asia got a ton of great horror movies that are well worth the watch
way better than the west

check out

bedevilled- absolutely awesome movie
dark waters
ringu
the grudge
The wrath

i like the original best
but she might like the remake- its pretty good

I forgot 1922 on netflix is very very good
doctor sleep
the invisible man
cargo
it comes at night

Thanks for the suggestions. I've seen Ringu and The Grudge, and have set aside Doctor Sleep and The Invisible Man to watch in the months ahead. Have had them for awhile. Been meaning to see It Comes at Night for some time too.

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The Invisible Guest

Definitely Wasn't visible to me !!

PRAISE: Writer and Director Oriol Paulo crafts his story of A young businessman wakes up in a locked hotel room next to the body of his dead lover. He hires a prestigious lawyer to defend him, and over the course of one night, they work together to find out what happened interesting and involving for the most part.It was fun trying to find out which of the story threads would hold up and who to actually trust.
Well acted by the entire cast including : Mario Casas,Ana Wagener,José Coronado and Bárbara Lennie.
Putting the plot on the shoulders of something coincidental actually worked !!
It's beautifully shot and i love when Directors and Cinematographers give locations personality so high praise to Xavi Jiménez too.

PROBLEMS :There was one thread that was so unintentionally funny visually that i could easily dismiss
it and just waited for it to end.

Scale of 1-10 an 8½

What Happened to Monday?

It was already hard keeping track of weekdays !!

PRAISE: So i sat back and was ready for a slow paced flick about a world where families are allowed only one child due to overpopulation, resourceful identical septuplets must avoid governmental execution and dangerous infighting while investigating the disappearance of one of their own.
It's slow start with Willem Dafoe as Terrence Settman, the siblings' grandfather really had me fooled because this is a fantastic action film !! But first let me get to Noomi Rapace as the Settman Siblings – Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday she is absolutely incredible taking on all of these different personalities and emotions ...WOW
Ok back to the action the sequences are nearly perfect,violent and edgy.
Director Tommy Wirkola and writers Max Botkin Kerry Williamson make sure there is enough drama between the family dynamic that kept me emotionally involved.

PROBLEMS : Oh boy did i have to suspend disbelief several times especially when it came to the authorities pursuing the siblings.Once i thought their story threads had went a certain way there they were to just make me roll my eyes again.

Scale of 1-10 an 8½

I Care a Lot

Care a little less !!

PRAISE : So much fun in this movies first half !! The story A shady legal guardian lands in hot water when she tries to bilk a woman who has ties to a powerful gangster.
It actually made me wonder how many people are pulling this off in real life.
Rosamund Pike as Marla Grayson is great as the icy my way or the highway ' guardian " Pike always does well in roles like this.
Eiza González as her partner Fran was good i actually almost thought she was Michelle Rodriguez for a few seconds.Dianne Wiest as Jennifer Peterson was great as seemingly docile but there is more to her than meets the eye and Wiest plays it to a T.
Peter Dinklage as Roman Lunyov & Chris Messina as Dean Ericson are a great match to Pike as their scenes together are intense and edge of your seat involving.
I enjoyed the intense and salty moments in the film.It's funny because after awhile i started to question myself am im starting to care about a character who's lacking in morals ?

PROBLEMS: Some story threads i couldnt get on board with,just far to convenient just to keep things going and some of it just felt like filler.The second half doesnt match up to the first.

Scale of 1-10 a 7

Tdot_firestarta

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
[

I Care a Lot

Care a little less !!

PRAISE : So much fun in this movies first half !! The story A shady legal guardian lands in hot water when she tries to bilk a woman who has ties to a powerful gangster.
It actually made me wonder how many people are pulling this off in real life.
Rosamund Pike as Marla Grayson is great as the icy my way or the highway ' guardian " Pike always does well in roles like this.
Eiza González as her partner Fran was good i actually almost thought she was Michelle Rodriguez for a few seconds.Dianne Wiest as Jennifer Peterson was great as seemingly docile but there is more to her than meets the eye and Wiest plays it to a T.
Peter Dinklage as Roman Lunyov & Chris Messina as Dean Ericson are a great match to Pike as their scenes together are intense and edge of your seat involving.
I enjoyed the intense and salty moments in the film.It's funny because after awhile i started to question myself am im starting to care about a character who's lacking in morals ?

PROBLEMS: Some story threads i couldnt get on board with,just far to convenient just to keep things going and some of it just felt like filler.The second half doesnt match up to the first.

Scale of 1-10 a 7

I enjoyed this...The film was really good at making you dislike certain characters and making you emotionally invested in seeing their demise.

This film made me go online and venture down a rabbit hole of articles about ,"guardianship" cases and I was shocked at how prevalent these cases are...scary shit

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The United States vs Billie Holiday

PERPLEXING PERSECUTION

PRAISE: Sometimes i think i know all there is to know about a historical figure or performer but then films like The United States vs Billie Holiday come along providing eye opening facts.
The film is based on Federal Bureau of Narcotics launching an undercover sting operation against jazz singer Billie Holiday.
Andra Day as Billie Holiday turns in a stunning,bold,and heart wrenching performance also belting out some of Holidays most memorable songs.She gets strong support from the rest of the cast including : Trevante Rhodes as Jimmy Fletcher,Natasha Lyonne as Tallulah Bankhead
and Garrett Hedlund as Harry J. Anslinger.
Director Lee Daniels presents a warts an all picture of Holiday and doesnt pull any punches when it comes to dialogue whether it's salty or truthful for the time period he's covering.

It's a fact Holiday had several vices but the fact that the FBI went after her because of her song Strange Fruit that was not only truthful but soulful about the lynchings of black people was insane. FBI Director at the time J Egar Hoover must have been turning cartwheels when Anslinger relentlessly pursued Holiday over Strange Fruit just because he felt it would spark some type of violent revolution.
There are scenes that can be very triggering and not for the faint of heart so please keep that in mind.

PROBLEMS: Some facts about Holiday are just barely touched on.I wish they had been explored more instead of in a quick mention.
Daniel's can be heavy handed with his direction at times and when he couples that with filming scenes in a way that's off putting it completely took me out of the film.
Some sequences are so over the top it's unitentionally funny and then some.

Scale of 1-10 a 7½

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
The United States vs Billie Holiday

PERPLEXING PERSECUTION

PRAISE: Sometimes i think i know all there is to know about a historical figure or performer but then films like The United States vs Billie Holiday come along providing eye opening facts.
The film is based on Federal Bureau of Narcotics launching an undercover sting operation against jazz singer Billie Holiday.
Andra Day as Billie Holiday turns in a stunning,bold,and heart wrenching performance also belting out some of Holidays most memorable songs.She gets strong support from the rest of the cast including : Trevante Rhodes as Jimmy Fletcher,Natasha Lyonne as Tallulah Bankhead
and Garrett Hedlund as Harry J. Anslinger.
Director Lee Daniels presents a warts an all picture of Holiday and doesnt pull any punches when it comes to dialogue whether it's salty or truthful for the time period he's covering.

It's a fact Holiday had several vices but the fact that the FBI went after her because of her song Strange Fruit that was not only truthful but soulful about the lynchings of black people was insane. FBI Director at the time J Egar Hoover must have been turning cartwheels when Anslinger relentlessly pursued Holiday over Strange Fruit just because he felt it would spark some type of violent revolution.
There are scenes that can be very triggering and not for the faint of heart so please keep that in mind.

PROBLEMS: Some facts about Holiday are just barely touched on.I wish they had been explored more instead of in a quick mention.
Daniel's can be heavy handed with his direction at times and when he couples that with filming scenes in a way that's off putting it completely took me out of the film.
Some sequences are so over the top it's unitentionally funny and then some.

Scale of 1-10 a 7½

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Frances McDormand is one of the best actors working. Very underrated. Interesting story, I guess you can say it's based on true events, because people really live like this and a lot of people are real people.

Swanky and Linda are so dope.

Just like Land, if it wasn't so well done it could have easily been boring.

Both of the movies are inspiring and uplifting.

Checked it out yesterday. Definitely a slice of life movie. Enjoyed the key scenes during the 2nd half of the movie. Minimal dialogue, but straight-forward and understandable. Interesting seeing the end credits and the number of people "playing themselves" name-wise. Pretty eye-opening re: the town of Empire & the zip code, etc.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Boss Level - entertaining and reminiscent of Taye Diggs' Daybreak, there is a slight humorous dig add a famous actor because the main character in this movie acted with this famous actor in another movie. Halfway through, I like it so far

Screenshot-20210307-213040-IMDb.jpg

Thanks for the reminder. I need to go back and watch Frank Grillo's docuseries called Fightworld from recent years. Enjoyed the 2 episodes I saw ...

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
COMING 2 AMERICA

I'm afraid I found its eternally unequal
BUT finally a sequel !!

PRAISE : For years ,years and years i heard there would be a sequel to Coming to America (1988)
Finally in 2021 it hits the small screen due to our Covid times.
The story this time around Set in the lush and royal country of Zamunda, newly-crowned King Akeem (Eddie Murphy) and his trusted confidante Semmi (Arsenio Hall) embark on a mission to find Akeem's son !!
Murphy and Hall can still charm and get a laughs out of me here and there in the movie.
I have to say this was an ambitious effort by all involved .The set design is great and the costumes by Ruth E. Carter are incredible !! Great to see the old school cast together again.
The nods to the previous film and others were fun.I enjoyed and was surprised by the cameos.
There are some truly laugh out loud moments here and there. Actors giving it their all :KiKi Layne as Princess Meeka Joffer, Akeem's and Lisa's first daughter,Wesley Snipes (VERY FUNNY)as General Izzi, Imani's older brother and leader of Nextdoria,and Nomzamo Mbatha as Mirembe, a royal groomer and Lavelle's love interest.

PROBLEMS : When part of the story can only hold half my interest that's a problem.It seems like writers Kenya Barris,Barry W. Blaustein and David Sheffield just decided to throw in a little bit of everything to see if it would stick because there are music videos,dance sequences(I DID ENJOY THE LOVELY VISUALS) and the screaming of one liners throughout and when you do that you get a jumbled film.
Some of the actors/comedians are the same as they are in every project they are in...loud and obnoxious.
I have seen forced and fast tracked plots before but this film does it to a T !!
Definitely some dull and unfunny moments.

Scale of 1-10 a 7

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
@joneblaze

Checked out Coming 2 America the other day too.

Considering how well-liked the original is in pop culture to this day, do you think it was wise to do a sequel 30+ years later?

I was thinking off the top of my head about other franchises' hits and misses along the way. Ones like Elm Street, Friday the 13th, Predator, Alien, Terminator, and so on. Not to mention TV series like Degrassi with its few variations, and more recent reboots like Saved By the Bell and Punky Brewster, amongst others. Reviews definitely vary across the map for these movies and tv shows. Sometimes I wonder about other properties like American Pie too. At first you understand the sequels, but then you begin to wonder how much they're actually banking off of the direct-to-dvd shit they release?

The film was a box-office hit and spawned three direct sequels: American Pie 2 (2001), American Wedding (2003), and American Reunion (2012). In addition to the primary American Pie saga, there are five direct-to-DVD spin-off films bearing the title American Pie Presents: Band Camp (2005), The Naked Mile (2006), Beta House (2007), The Book of Love (2009) and Girls' Rules (2020).​

I wouldn't have minded 1 or 2 Coming to America sequels back in the early-90s.

Amazon Studios acquired the rights to the sequel for $125 million. Per Wiki, looks like a pilot for a spin-off series was done back in 1989 but not picked up. The performance of the original movie was definitely strong ...

Budget$36 million[1]
Box office$288.8–350 million[2][1][3][4]