QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
<font size="5"><center>More Black Women Trying Cosmetic Surgery,
Some Experts Question Motives</font size></center>

Black Press USA
by Shaena Henry
Special to the NNPA from the Howard University News Service

WASHINGTON (NNPA) - Rachel (not her real name) has always committed herself to living a healthy lifestyle. She is a vegetarian, watches her diet closely, and can be found in the gym daily.

However, after a myectomy and
endometriosis Rachel noticed excess weight in her midsection.

“I started developing this stomach that I did not have before,” says Rachel, who asked to conceal her identity because of stigmas associated with cosmetic surgery. “I could see if I did not exercise and was overweight. It looked [as] though I was pregnant.”

After years of camouflaging her stomach, Rachel decided to research surgical options to free her from the discomfort of accentuating her abdominal area. Her hair stylist referred her to Dr. Sheila Bond, a northern-New Jersey-based board certified plastic surgeon.

Last year, Rachel put up more than $6,000 for abdominoplasty and liposuction.

At Bond Plastic Surgery, Dr. Bond schedules one-on-one interviews prior to the surgery and a personalized treatment plan after the procedure to achieve the best results. Dr. Bond said that Rachel joins the growing number of African American women who no longer fear the stigma or shame associated with cosmetic surgery.

“African American women are at a different socioeconomic status than in the past and they want to look good,” Bond said. “They are living longer and don’t want to look old if they don’t have to.”

In 2005, African Americans accounted for more than 760,000 cosmetic procedures performed, according to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. The report states that the most commonly requested cosmetic procedures by African-Americans are rhinoplasty (nose reshaping), liposuction, and breast reduction, which raises the question of patients attempting to erase the broader noses and curvier silhouettes associated with their ethnicities.

Black Women Reshaping Their Big Tits and Big Asses
Doctors say that African-American women store more fat in the breasts and buttocks than women of other races and liposuction is an affective resolution. Dr. Bond said that African-American women requesting <u>nasal reshaping</u> to alter their ethnicities is a thing of the past.

“People are very proud of their ethnicities now and just want some improvement,” Bond said. “When I do nasal reshaping, it’s to refine it. Black women are very happy now with their bodies and themselves.”

Caucasian Beauty Standards?

Yet some believe that the Caucasian standard of beauty still influences African American women today.

Dr. Julia Hare, psychologist and founder of the Black Think Tank, said that cosmetic surgery is the alternative to skin bleaching creams and hair straightening products that plagued African-American women throughout the 1960s who were desperate for a more Nordic look.

“Many Black women are trying to achieve the white standard of beauty because many go to get the nose pointed. Whose standard is that?” Hare said. “The person getting it may see it as a self-improvement, but when you really sit down with a therapist, then you find out where the self-hatred comes in.”

In the 2005 documentary, “A Girl Like Me”, director Kiri Davis interviews young African-American girls about the standards of beauty that have been forced on them by society and how it influences their self-image. She also directs the “doll test”, originally conducted by Dr. Kenneth Clark for use in the case of Brown vs. the Board of Education. Davis’ test results showed that 15 out of 21 children preferred a white doll over a Black doll.

Dr. Hare said that African-American women who opt for cosmetic surgery are communicating negative messages to young African American girls like those in Davis’ documentary.

“Black women who are very successful are sending another message out to a younger sister that ‘I may have achieved, but I still don’t look acceptable’,” Hare said.

Increase in Income More Options
According to the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, cosmetic and reconstructive surgery quadrupled among African Americans between 1999 and 2001, which reflects the increase in disposable income and the gradual acceptance of cosmetic surgery in the African American community.

Black Men Say Its the Media
However, African American men like Samuel Lacount, a 27-year-old resident of Atlanta, reject the idea of cosmetic surgery and believe that African American women are pressured by the media to alter their bodies.

“I believe that Black women are trying to live up to the White standard of beauty when they have plastic surgery,” Lacount said. “Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and no one should feel less beautiful because of what they see on television, print, or the internet.”

Despite opposing views on cosmetic surgery, Rachel said that her decision was based on synchronizing her stomach with the rest of her body rather than conforming to society’s standards of beauty. She encourages those considering cosmetic surgery to be satisfied with themselves mentally first.

“My life has not changed, but my confidence has changed with regards to my appearance,” Rachel said. “I think it’s a personal moment in your life and your self-esteem should be in your head already.”