Gramm Comment on ‘Nation of Whiners’
Draws Condemnation</font size></center>

gramm_phil.jpg

Former Sen. Phil Gramm, a John McCain adviser,
drew criticism for saying the country is in a "mental
recession." (AP Photo)

FOXNews.com
Thursday, July 10, 2008

Barack Obama ridiculed a John McCain economic adviser Thursday who said the United States has become a “nation of whiners” suffering from a “mental recession,” as McCain distanced himself from the remarks.

Phil Gramm, who now is the No. 2 at the Swiss bank UBS, told The Washington Times the U.S. has benefited from globalization but most Americans are misguided by constant reports that the economy is at its worst in 30 years.

“You’ve heard of mental depression; this is a mental recession,” Gramm, a former Texas senator, told the newspaper, adding that the presumptive Republican nominee will face an uphill battle fighting those perceptions.

“We have sort of become a nation of whiners,” he said. “You just hear this constant whining, complaining about a loss of competitiveness, America in ‘decline’ despite a major export boom that is the primary reason that growth continues in the economy.”

Gramm later told a cable network that he was calling the country’s leaders whiners, not the American people as a whole, but stood by his “mental recession” remark.

Obama, speaking about economic security to a women’s group in Fairfax, Va., said Gramm’s comments show the McCain campaign has no remedy for the nation’s economic woes.

“This comes after Senator McCain recently admitted that his energy proposals … will have mainly ‘psychological’ benefits. I want all of you to know that America already has one Dr. Phil. We don’t need another one when it comes to the economy,” he said.

“Let’s be clear, when people are struggling with the rising costs of everything from gas to groceries, when we’ve lost 438,000 jobs over the past six months, when the typical family has lost $1,000 in income … since George Bush took office … this economic downturn is not in your heads.

“It isn’t whining to ask government to step in and give families some relief.”

Minutes later McCain disavowed the Gramm comments, saying, “We are experiencing enormous economic challenges as well as others. Phil Gramm does not speak for me. I speak for me. So I strongly disagree.”

Asked if Gramm might be in line for a job as treasury secretary, McCain joked: “I think Senator Gramm would be in serious consideration for ambassador to Belarus, although I am not sure that the citizens of Minsk would welcome that.”

But McCain has touted Gramm’s economic insights as among the nation’s best.

“There is no one in America that is more respected on the issue of economics than Senator Phil Gramm,” he said in February.

And while McCain was saying Gramm doesn’t speak for him Thursday, Gramm was in fact speaking for McCain — during a meeting with the Wall Street Journal editorial board.

But McCain tried to stay on offense, using the “Dr. Phil” jab to repeat his criticism that Obama indiscriminately shoots down all his energy proposals.

“You’re talking about Dr. Phil — he’s Dr. No,” McCain said. “He’s against offshore drilling, he’s against offering a reward for the development of the electric car, he’s against everything we need to do to make this nation energy independent.”

Gramm said earlier that all the reporting on trade deficits, illegal immigration, housing and credit problems and record oil prices have not stopped the economy from growing. Still, McCain will face a difficult public relations job.

Gramm also said that President Bush and Republicans in Congress are to blame for the damaged Republican image. He told the newspaper that he believes voter’s opinions on issues remain the same but that they have lost faith that lawmakers in Washington, D.C., care about them. He blamed the blurring differences between Republicans and Democrats on government expansion and spending over the past eight years as a major cause of the problem, the paper reports.

A McCain campaign official said the Republican presidential candidate does not share Gramm’s view.

“Phil Gramm’s comments are not representative of John McCain’s views. John McCain travels the country every day talking to Americans who are hurting, feeling pain at the pump and worrying about how they’ll pay their mortgage. That’s why he has a realistic plan to deliver immediate relief at the gas pump, grow our economy and put Americans back to work,” the official said.

A spokesman for Obama said Gramm’s analysis ignores facts on the ground.

“One of Senator McCain’s top economic advisers may think that when people are struggling with lost jobs, stagnant wages, and the rising costs of everything from gas to groceries, it’s merely a ‘mental recession’. … But the American people know that our economic problems aren’t just in their heads. They don’t need psychological relief -– they need real relief – and that’s what Barack Obama will provide as President,” said Obama campaign spokesman Bill Burton.

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/07/10/gramm-us-has-become-nation-of-whiners/

nyyyyce

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
in all seriousness, there is some unspoken journalistic collusion going on. i am not being a paranoid either. mcbush, on a weekly basis, misconstrues a point, repeatedly recites inaccurate information, his surrogates say offensive and desensitized comments about America and its people and there is BARELY a mention of it in the paper or on TV (besides a few articles like this one). MSNBC, Countdown (more to the point) is the ONLY place you will hear a recap and get stern consternation of the multiple offenses mcbush commits.

this mess is across the board. i have never witnessed such a blatant double standard in watching politics my whole life. just the juxtaposition of "bitter" vs. "a nation of whiners" by a REAL elitists... and barely a days coverage?!?!?

Greed

Star
Registered
Obama say bitter and McCain wasn't the one to actually say whiners and you see a double standard. I see a double standard on this board, want to guess what it is?

nyyyyce

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Obama say bitter and McCain wasn't the one to actually say whiners and you see a double standard. I see a double standard on this board, want to guess what it is?
mcBush mixed up sunni an shia three times. mcbush did not support the gi bill, but got credit for doing so by bush. mcbush did sing bomb, bomb, bomb iran. mcbush continues to say the surge is working when the benchmarks and political reconciliation that the surge was designed to create has yet to be fully established. and the toll paid in the media for these offenses and lies are how substantial?

exactly.

I sense a Fox news watcher. can you guess who it is?

Greed

Star
Registered
mcBush mixed up sunni an shia three times. mcbush did not support the gi bill, but got credit for doing so by bush. mcbush did sing bomb, bomb, bomb iran. mcbush continues to say the surge is working when the benchmarks and political reconciliation that the surge was designed to create has yet to be fully established. and the toll paid in the media for these offenses and lies are how substantial?

exactly.

I sense a Fox news watcher. can you guess who it is?
I proudly have not owned cable for more than 10 years because I never wanted to turn out to be someone like you. I guarantee you've watch more Fox News than I ever will.

Your post wasn't about the differences between the candidates' Iran or GI Bill stance. It was about the double standard regarding the media coverage of Obama and McCain's personal opinions of the electorate.

I'll be nice and give you another hint about this board's hypocrisy, it involves one being democrat and the other being a republican.

14damoney

Rising Star
OG Investor
...I'll be nice and give you another hint about this board's hypocrisy, it involves one being democrat and the other being a republican.

This "tennis match" is dizzying...

So are you Republican, or are you some form of independant? I ask this because I'm assuming you aren't Democrat, which Nyyyyce seems to be.

I've got my cannons on lock right now with my hands in the air. I truly feel that I've unwarily stepped on to a battlefield during an unknown full-fledged war. :eek:

The quickness in which you two sensed each other out seems to lean in the direction of bad blooded-history between you two before.

I'm addressing you Greed, because I think I can see Nyyyyce's flag. Yours is not quite as clear to me yet. Once I can get a feel for where you are coming from, then in the future when I see either of your flags, I'll know what terrain I'm on.

Please answer Democrat, Republican, Independent. Meanwhile I'll back away slowly from this un-Godly war-zone. :lol:

Last edited:

Greed

Star
Registered
I'm a capitalist, which is at odds with the policies of the Democratic and Republican parties. I'm not an independent in the popular sense, which assumes I swing my vote between the two.

14damoney

Rising Star
OG Investor
I'm a capitalist, which is at odds with the policies of the Democratic and Republican parties. I'm not an independent in the popular sense, which assumes I swing my vote between the two.

[flag posted]...

Very well said! I'm actually impressed of your assesment of where you're at.

My Glocks will remain in their holsters...

You are (just like me) a shifter.

In future threads, I will either support you, or blast you.

But you HAVE earned my respect.

I'm backing away slowly to allow the war to commence...

A gift from my respect...

But next time I might pull the trigger...

... on YOU!

Then it will be you and me...

But for now, I'm very pleased to meet you.

Now Nyyyyce must step up. Let's elevate this discussion. My frequency amplifier is waiting for a third party in order to take it to the hilt...

Does Nyyyyce dare respond now?