Masters degree vs. MBA

prose00

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
So I hv an EE bach. degree and contemplating between these two..

Right now working a stagnant job in the DoD, and looking to make more money real soon.

Not a hardware or software kinda dude, but would like to get into the Cyber/IT cus of the earning potential, but thats a toss up.

End goal being to make a real good living, without much stress

Any instances where one is better than the other?? or is it best I just cert up, and dont go into debt.

So wahts the best route?? Advice welcome. Thx

Gazoo

The Big Brain
Registered
Many are steering people to Cyber Security. It's a good choice. Certifications are good because the education is current and up to date.

Not knocking the Masters or MBA route. They're great to have. But the time it'll take and possible expense in loans may negate what you could just do with a certification.

Tough choices bruh.

crossovernegro

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
With your background you will be good to go whichever route you choose, so big ups to you firstly.
....but that without much stress part.... stress is in the DNA of IT, so, are you sure you want to go that way? I mean IT=3am and weekend calls and oh shit, fix this yesterday.

g0nbad real bad

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Lots of jobs will accept a Masters of most programs. If you are in finance jump on another program rather than MBA.

phanatic

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
With your background you will be good to go whichever route you choose, so big ups to you firstly.
....but that without much stress part.... stress is in the DNA of IT, so, are you sure you want to go that way? I mean IT=3am and weekend calls and oh shit, fix this yesterday.

I got my bitch ass back in school and I'm working towards my degree. I'm thinking of going the certificate route after I finish my current program. I want to develop some wealth for the kiddo and make sure she doesn't have to worry about college costs.

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Look into certifications BEFORE deciding to back to school IF you’re going the cyber security/IT route. Since you already have a degree, that in itself holds enough weight of having a college education. Certifications is a great alternative before spending thousands to get a masters in the IT field. The con of just holding a certification could potentially be where you start out (i.e., entry level).

However, if you’re going to go for the MBA, then make sure you’re networking like hell otherwise that degree get saturated among the nation because MBAs are among the highest earned degrees.

phanatic

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Look into certifications BEFORE deciding to back to school IF you’re going the cyber security/IT route. Since you already have a degree, that in itself holds enough weight of having a college education. Certifications is a great alternative before spending thousands to get a masters in the IT field. The con of just holding a certification could potentially be where you start out (i.e., entry level).

However, if you’re going to go for the MBA, then make sure you’re networking like hell otherwise that degree get saturated among the nation.

I have three friends that just got their masters and they are still stuck in the same job. Merit is needed, but you still have to know someone to vouch for you.

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I have three friends that just got their masters and they are still stuck in the same job. Merit is needed, but you still have to know someone to vouch for you.

yeah, I know some folks making 6 figures with an MBA and other stuck in limbo as well because lack of networking.

Shoot, to be real, I think the idea of getting an MBA should be to network. All that scholastic shit is for the birds. You’ll learn through experience, but networking requires a different type of skill set that can’t really be taught in books.

Bounty Killah

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Ditch the MBA man.... unless it's in finance and you get into investment banking you'll be looking for a new job every two years. I have a BSEE too, btw.

prose00

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

However, if you’re going to go for the MBA, then make sure you’re networking like hell otherwise that degree get saturated among the nation because MBAs are among the highest earned degrees.

Thanks for the feedback fam.

thing with Cyber/IT , at least from me & my peers observation working in defense/DoD, is they want all these damn experience & certs I don't have, even for a basic/entry position. Then you go get the damn certs, the next excuse is "not enough experience" to warrant the kind of pay you want :hmm:

That's why I figure perhaps a MBA might sidestep all the "experience" restrictions. Or am I wrong??

Then again, like ppl have said here, it requires real networking, which am not so good at to begin with.

Does a Masters (Msc). in either Cyber Policy or Forensics a better route?? So many questions man, I know. Thanks

TX4lyfe

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I have an EE degree and colleagues told me awhile ago it’s easy to get pigeonholed into a specialty and hard to move around. Now I clear 170k/yr working two software engineering jobs because coding is easy for me so I say go for whatever job you like the most because it’ll be easier to stay focused if you got to grind. If you can stay away from paying for school the better, at the end of the day they’re looking for people who know they shit degree or not. I’ve seen cats with no degree get software gigs cause getting good candidates was hard enough.

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Thanks for the feedback fam.

thing with Cyber/IT , at least from me & my peers observation working in defense/DoD, is they want all these damn experience & certs I don't have, even for a basic/entry position. Then you go get the damn certs, the next excuse is "not enough experience" to warrant the kind of pay you want :hmm:

That's why I figure perhaps a MBA might sidestep all the "experience" restrictions. Or am I wrong??

Then again, like ppl have said here, it requires real networking, which am not so good at to begin with.

Does a Masters (Msc). in either Cyber Policy or Forensics a better route?? So many questions man, I know. Thanks

The MBA isn't going to sidestep experience, BUT it allows you to intern at some company to gain experience AND network. The Masters in Cyber/IT is very similar. Still, in those fields, you will be forced to find a focus on a skill that is in high demand (i.e., cybersecurity, programming). Otherwise, having a Master's in cyber/IT and not having a strong skill is a total waste of time and money hence, I mentioned the certification route first. Going the certification route lets you know if you're ready to go through the rigor of a Master's program. It's a good measuring stick to see if you have the desire to deal. Plus, you'll save a ton of money and can still get hired with a certification.

A Master's in Cyber Policy or Forensics are particular fields, which will require the same level of networking as an MBA. Anything particular (i.e., Cyber Policy or Forensics) or oversaturated (i.e., MBA or Communications) will require some type of networking to a certain extent. It doesn't mean that you won't get into a position if you don't network. You're just trying to give yourself the best chance possible by networking.

Chiyo

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Your degree isnt the issue. its working for the government.

Government is for coasters riding it into retirement, not those trying to make serious paper.

phanatic

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
yeah, I know some folks making 6 figures with an MBA and other stuck in limbo as well because lack of networking.

Shoot, to be real, I think the idea of getting an MBA should be to network. All that scholastic shit is for the birds. You’ll learn through experience, but networking requires a different type of skill set that can’t really be taught in books.

Some charisma and know-how will definitely help you advance. Whenever we have a director come to our office, I always make sure to speak to them about initiatives I think would be beneficial, and follow up with an email. I make sure people know who I am.

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Some charisma and know-how will definitely help you advance. Whenever we have a director come to our office, I always make sure to speak to them about initiatives I think would be beneficial, and follow up with an email. I make sure people know who I am.

That's a soft skill you have. That's an unteachable skill and is part of a person's personality.

We have these board meetings where company representatives come to our school and talk with instructors and program directors on what companies are looking for. Most of them say many students come in with great technical skills but have terrible soft skills.

With the biggest being poor communication, documenting, and people skills. So much of that is embedded in a person's personality.

Last edited: