Living a Healthier Life -- Stevia Sweetener vs. Corporate Crap (aspartame and others)

AristotlesOwn

Star
Registered
Sorry QueEx. This isn't necessarily a "race/political" issue (it could be), but seeing as there is no Health/Wellness section to BGOL I think this is the most appropriate place for this info. Since black folks tend to have a higher chance of contracting diabetes (relative to population size of course), I think this is interesting to note. Also, anytime I can throw a wrench in the corporate cogs that run this circus I am more than happy to oblige :D .

Quick hit:

Stevia is a highly concentrated sweetener that is approx. 300 times sweeter than sugar, but has no calories and is all natrual (derived from the stevia plant) unlike aspartame or even sucralose (Splenda).

Here's an article explaining Stevia and why the FDA has continually tried to keep it out of the mainstream:

<a href="http://www.holisticmed.com/sweet/stv-faq.txt">Stevia. Too good to be legal?</a>

VegasGuy

Star
OG Investor
I use Splenda and like it pretty good. I've tried STEVIA at a whole foods market here in town and I'm NOT convinced it tastes as good as sugar let alone Splenda. I guess it has a sweet taste but not sweet like sugar. To me it was more a flavoring that is sweet but not sweet like a sugar, if that makes any sense. And I suppose the fact it's not being produced commercially why it's so damn expensive. Whole Foods and Sunflower markets was selling small 12 oz containers for $19.99.

AristoltleOwn, have you tried this shit yourself? What did you think about it?

-VG

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
AristotlesOwn said:
Sorry QueEx. This isn't necessarily a "race/political" issue (it could be), but seeing as there is no Health/Wellness section to BGOL I think this is the most appropriate place for this info. Since black folks tend to have a higher chance of contracting diabetes (relative to population size of course), I think this is interesting to note. Also, anytime I can throw a wrench in the corporate cogs that run this circus I am more than happy to oblige :D .

Quick hit:

Stevia is a highly concentrated sweetener that is approx. 300 times sweeter than sugar, but has no calories and is all natrual (derived from the stevia plant) unlike aspartame or even sucralose (Splenda).

Here's an article explaining Stevia and why the FDA has continually tried to keep it out of the mainstream:

<a href="http://www.holisticmed.com/sweet/stv-faq.txt">Stevia. Too good to be legal?</a>
Nothing wrong with this topic, at all. This is the Politics and Topics of the Day Board. This fits right in. Besides, you're right, there has been an explosion of type 2 diabetes and our community has not been spared, me included.

QueEx

AristotlesOwn

Star
Registered
Re: Living a Healthier Life -- Stevia Sweetener vs. Corporate Crap (aspartame and oth

VegasGuy said:
I use Splenda and like it pretty good. I've tried STEVIA at a whole foods market here in town and I'm NOT convinced it tastes as good as sugar let alone Splenda. I guess it has a sweet taste but not sweet like sugar. To me it was more a flavoring that is sweet but not sweet like a sugar, if that makes any sense. And I suppose the fact it's not being produced commercially why it's so damn expensive. Whole Foods and Sunflower markets was selling small 12 oz containers for $19.99.

AristoltleOwn, have you tried this shit yourself? What did you think about it?

-VG

What you said makes sense, and I do believe it is an acquired taste. I have tried it, and I must say that it is good in things like tea, coffee, Kool-aid, smoothies, etc. I haven't tried cooking with it, but I plan to. I'll let you know the results of that little experiment.

And yes...the price is outrageous because the FDA really doesn't want us to buy it.

neo_cacos

Potential Star
Registered
Re: Living a Healthier Life -- Stevia Sweetener vs. Corporate Crap (aspartame and oth

WELL HERE'S AN IDEA....

YOU SHOULD MINIMIZE ITS USAGE.

WE BUY SUGAR MAYBE ONCE OR TWICE A YEAR.
- TEA: NO SUGAR
- COFFEE : ONE teaspoon
- EVERYTHING ELSE : No sugar
- TYPE : BROWN....(NOT YELLOW), DEFINITELY NOT WHITE, AND CERTAINLY NOTHING THAT WAS MANUFACTURED IN A LAB.

Here's something to think about....WHY SELLING THESE SO CALLED SWEETNER WITH 'no sugar' added?
REASON : IT'S CHEAPER TO PRODUCE. THE END.

And one more thing ....KEEP AND EYE ON THE PRODUCTS YOU BUY...THE SUGAR IS USUALLY ADDED IN LARGE QUANTITY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME...CHECK THE LABELS OF WHAT'S IN YOUR FOOD CABINET.

Neo

AND O YEAH...SAME THING GOES FOR THE SALT