Jones wants to fight Lacy in July

doug777

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Former world champion says he has a deal in place to face the former Olympian in July in Tampa, Fla.
By Lance Pugmire
April 21, 2009
Boxer Roy Jones Jr. says he has a verbal deal in place to fight fellow Floridian Jeff Lacy in July in Tampa, Fla.

Jones (53-5, 39 knockouts), the former super-middleweight, light-heavyweight and heavyweight world champion, will fight Lacy (25-2, 17 KOs), a 2000 Olympian who has been defeated only by unbeaten former super-middleweight champion Joe Calzaghe and former middleweight champion Jermain Taylor.

Lacy's November loss to Taylor by unanimous decision was followed by a lackluster majority decision over Otis Griffin on April 10.

Jones will promote the fight through his Square Ring promotional company and said the undercard will again include some mixed martial arts bouts.

"I love the MMA fighting, and I know we've got some good fighters who'll be part of it," Jones said without naming names.

Jones maintains he still intends to box Anderson Silva, the Ultimate Fighting Championship middleweight champ who successfully defended his title Saturday with a unanimous decision over Thales Leites in Montreal.

"I can't wait for Anderson to get done with his [UFC] contract, whenever that is -- I've heard [September] -- then let's get it on," Jones said. http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-spw-boxing-jones21-2009apr21,0,3547054.story