Super Moderator
Jackson criticizes Obama​

Presidential candidate’s response to Jena, La., case called too weak

The State
South Carolina
By RODDIE A. BURRIS
rburris@thestate.com
Wednesday, September 19, 2007

The Rev. Jesse Jackson called Tuesday on Democrats seeking the 2008 nomination for president to give S.C. voters “something to vote for” when they go to the polls in January.

On a statewide tour to register new voters, Jackson said South Carolina will determine “who has momentum” in the primary when it votes Jan. 29.

Jackson sharply criticized presidential hopeful and Illinois Sen. Barack Obama for “acting like he’s white” in what Jackson said has been a tepid response to six black juveniles’ arrest on attempted-murder charges in Jena, La. Jackson, who also lives in Illinois, endorsed Obama in March, according to The Associated Press.

“If I were a candidate, I’d be all over Jena,” Jackson said after an hour-long speech at Columbia’s historically black Benedict College.

“Jena is a defining moment, just like Selma was a defining moment,” said the iconic civil rights figure, who worked with Martin Luther King Jr. in the 1965 Selma civil rights movement and was with King at his 1968 assassination.

Later, Jackson said he did not recall making the “acting like he’s white” comment about Obama, stressing he only wanted to point out the candidates had not seized on an opportunity to highlight the disproportionate criminal punishments black youths too often face.

Jackson also said Obama, who consistently has placed second in state and national polls behind New York Sen. Hillary Clinton, must be “bolder” in his political positions if he is to erase Clinton’s lead.

Jackson is the only African-American ever to carry South Carolina in a presidential primary election.

Obama’s South Carolina campaign pointed to a statement it released last week in which Obama called on the local Louisiana district attorney to drop the excessive charges brought in the case.

“When nooses are being hung in high schools in the 21st century, it’s a tragedy,” the Obama statement said. “It shows that we still have a lot of work to do as a nation to heal our racial tensions.”

Thousands from across the country, including some from Columbia, are expected to converge on the small town of Jena today to protest the “Jena 6” arrests.

Jackson told the 500 to 600 students in his audience at Benedict that “criminal injustice,” instead of a rope, is the pressing civil rights issue of their day, but that voting remained their strongest ally.

“Your fight is not about ropes, it’s about hope,” Jackson said, blasting the flood of guns and violence he said permeates many black communities.

Civil rights, he said, has become the counterculture of the day rather than the prevailing culture. “You can’t call on the Justice Department anymore; it’s not there.”

Jackson, who became only the second major black candidate to run for president, won five primaries in his 1984 bid for the office, then 11 primaries and nearly 7 million votes in his 1988 run.

He said the 2008 presidential candidates must speak most directly to the pressing S.C. issues of housing, high tuition costs, health care and a plan to end the war in Iraq.

“The candidates have got to speak to South Carolina,” said Jackson, who was traveling also to S.C. State University in Orangeburg and to Charleston Tuesday evening before wrapping up his registration drive tonight in Aiken.

A Greenville native, Jackson said he hoped to register thousands of new voters during the statewide swing, which began Saturday in Rock Hill.

“Their votes must equal change,” he said, referring to residents in a state where only 1 in 4 eligible voters go to the polls. “I want to make sure the right agenda is being voted on in 2008.”

His approach worked for senior mass-communications major Darius Dior Porcher, 21, who graduated from famed Scotts Branch High School in Clarendon County, which produced the Briggs v. Elliott school desegregation case of 1954.

“The main thing when you speak to students is to get them to move,” Porcher said. “He moved students today. He got them to come down to the floor and register to vote.”

Reach Burris at (803) 771-8398.

http://www.thestate.com/local/v-print/story/177514.html

Jakesnake

Potential Star
Registered
Jesse is secretly backing Hillary!!! Pockets were getting thin so he had to hit the Clintons up for some cheddar!!! (Just kidding for you Jesse supporters :lol::lol:)

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Jackson Disputes Report on Obama Remark​

Associated Press
Septembert 20, 2007

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — Jesse Jackson was quoted as saying Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama was "acting like he's white" for not speaking out more forcefully about a racially charged schoolyard beating in Louisiana.

Wednesday's (Columbia) State newspaper said Jackson made the comment about Obama and the Jena, La., case after speaking Tuesday at Benedict College, a historically black school. "If I were a candidate, I'd be all over Jena," Jackson said in his remarks after the speech, according to the published account.

"Jena is a defining moment, just like Selma was a defining moment," Jackson said. In 1965, demonstrators were attacked by police with billy clubs during a peaceful voting rights march in Selma, Ala. "Bloody Sunday" shocked the nation and helped bring attention to the voting barriers that kept blacks from the polls.

Jackson later told the newspaper he did not remember making the "acting like he's white" comment about Obama, who is black.

On Wednesday, the civil rights activist said in a statement that he was "taken out of context." It said he commended Obama "for speaking out and demanding fairness on this defining issue. Any attempt to dilute my support for Sen. Obama will not succeed."

The newspaper's deputy managing editor, Steve Brook, said the newspaper was standing by its story.

The Illinois senator, in a statement late Wednesday reacting to Jackson's comment, said "outrage over an injustice" such as in the Jena case "isn't a matter of black and white. It's a matter of right and wrong." Obama cited earlier statements in which he "demanded fairness" and said they "were carefully thought out with input and support" from one of his national campaign chairmen — Jesse Jackson Jr., a Chicago congressman and son of the elder Jackson.

Obama issued a statement last Friday, after a state appeals court threw out the only remaining conviction against one of the black teenagers accused in the December attack on a white schoolmate in Jena.

Obama said he hoped the decision would lead the prosecutor "to reconsider the excessive charges brought against all the teenagers in this case. And I hope that the judicial process will move deliberately to ensure that all of the defendants will receive a fair trial and equal justice under the law."

On Sept. 10, the senator said: "When nooses are being hung in high schools in the 21st century, it's a tragedy. It shows that we still have a lot of work to do as a nation to heal our racial tensions. This isn't just Jena's problem; it's America's problem."

Jena is a mostly white town where racial animosity flared about a year ago when a black student sat under a tree that was a traditional gathering place for whites. A day later, three nooses were found hanging from the tree. Reports followed of racial fights at the school, culminating in the December attack.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i5SL_j8SjhfK1-lzyjy6wOI3uSFA

VegasGuy

Star
OG Investor
So Jackson has alzheimer's. Sorry to hear about that. When you say shit, don't deny you said it but say you just don't remember it. Classic alzheimer's.

-VG

Mr.Bizkits

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
All Jackson could've said soft, passive, undecisive, neglectant, or dismissive

but no he had to say acting white.

nittie

Star
Registered
As usual Jesse did the right thing by calling Obama out [even if he did forget it later]. Obama cannot keep playing both ends against the middle he has to take a definitive stand on something. He could win the nomination with liberal whites and minorities if he just stood for something instead he plays the middle and even admits his wife is the man of the house. I think Rev is trying to light a fire under him, make him manup or get out the race so Edwards or Biden can give Hillary a decent fight.

VegasGuy

Star
OG Investor
As usual Jesse did the right thing by calling Obama out [even if he did forget it later]. Obama cannot keep playing both ends against the middle he has to take a definitive stand on something. He could win the nomination with liberal whites and minorities if he just stood for something instead he plays the middle and even admits his wife is the man of the house. I think Rev is trying to light a fire under him, make him manup or get out the race so Edwards or Biden can give Hillary a decent fight.

I don't think he means that literally but I'll tell you this, if you have a wife worth a damn, she damn sure knows how to manage what goes on in HER house. That's right her house. You'll find out when you got a wife and kids, that house is no longer "yours". That's a fact. You are the man in charge overall, but the manager runs it.

Besides any man knows a good black woman has a strong backbone. That's the way Michelle Obama appears to be to me.

At any rate, I disagree that Jesse did the right thing by calling Obama white. I'm sure Jesse wouldn't like it if Obama made disparaging remarks about him playing a married "Reverend", making child support payments to his booty call, and using his title as reverend to cover for fellow adulterer who happens to be a shifty ass white boy.

-VG

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
<font size="4">

Recall these controversial Jesse Jackson comments
regarding Barack Obama from last September (2007) ???

</font size>

sirwoodz

Rising Star
Registered
- pastor manning
- jesse jackson
- al sharpton
- rev wright

not a huge shock that all these black "men of GOD" are throwing darts at obama...there is a sort of gatekeeper mentality amongst this mafioso type organization known as black clergy in our community that Obama is exposing without even knowing it.

the NAACP and congressional black caucus are a part of this "mafia" too

one of their own didn't make it to the top spot and they are bitter...