Brown's Partner Denied Access to Home</font size></center>

JAMES_BROWN_WIDOW.sff_NY113_20061226090236.jpg

Music legend James Brown arrives with his wife Tomi Rae Brown
for the 47th Annual Grammy Awards in this Feb. 13, 2005 file
photo in Los Angeles. Brown's widow said Monday, Dec. 25,
2006, she was denied access to the home she shared with
the singer and their 5-year-old son when she returned home
hours after her husband died of heart failure, claiming the gate
was padlocked at the request of Brown's lawyer and accountant.
(AP Photo/Mark J. Terrill, File)

Dec 26, 1:43 PM (ET)
Associated Press
By HARRY R. WEBER

ATLANTA (AP) - James Brown's lawyer said Tuesday that the late singer and his partner were not legally married and that she was locked out of his South Carolina home for estate legal reasons.

"It's not a reflection on her as an individual," lawyer Buddy Dallas told The Associated Press. "I have not even been in the house, nor will I until appropriate protocol is followed."

Brown's partner, backup singer Tomi Rae Hynie, was already married to a Texas man in 2001 when she married Brown, thus making her marriage to Brown null, Dallas said. He said Hynie later annulled the previous marriage, but she and Brown never remarried.

"I suppose it would mean she was, from time to time, a guest in Mr. Brown's home," Dallas said.

On Monday, after the 73-year-old "Godfather of Soul" died at an Atlanta hospital, Hynie, 36, found the gates to Brown's Beech Island, S.C., home padlocked and said she was denied access.

Hynie argued that she has a legal right to live in the home with the couple's 5-year-old son.

"This is my home," Hynie told a reporter outside the house. "I don't have any money. I don't have anywhere to go."

Dallas said legal formalities need to be followed now, adding that Brown's estate was left in trust for his children. He declined to elaborate on Brown's final instructions.

"It's not intended and I hope not interpreted to be an act of unkindness or an act of a lack of sympathy," Dallas said. "Ms. Hynie has a home a few blocks away from Mr. Brown's home where she resides periodically when she is not with Mr. Brown. She is not without housing or home."

Dallas said Brown and Hynie had not seen each other for several weeks before his death.

The couple had had a sometimes tumultuous relationship. Brown pleaded guilty in 2004 to a domestic violence charge stemming from an argument with Hynie and was let off with a $1,087 fine. He was accused of pushing Hynie to the floor at the home and threatening to kill her.

Hynie could not be reached Tuesday for further comment. A lawyer who has represented her in the past, Robert Rosen, was out of the country and could not be reached, according to a receptionist in his Charleston, S.C., office.

Hynie's cell phone wasn't accepting incoming messages Tuesday, but had an outgoing message that said in part, "James, if this is you, I'm in a meeting and I will call you back when I get out. Thank you so much for calling. Happy holidays."

Brown, whose classic singles included "Papa's Got a Brand New Bag" and "I Got You (I Feel Good)," died of heart failure less than two days after he had been hospitalized with pneumonia, his agent said. Funeral details had not been set Tuesday morning.

http://apnews1.iwon.com/article/20061226/D8M8MR000.html

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
[frame]http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Music/12/26/james.brown.widow.ap/index.html[/frame]

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
<IFRAME SRC="http://ww2.wrdw.com/global/video/popup/pop_player.asp?ClipID1=1139378&h1=Interview%20with%20Tomirae%20Brown&vt1=v&at1=Community&d1=270567&LaunchPageAdTag=Homepage&fvCatNo=&backgroundImageURL=&activePane=info&playerVersion=1&hostPageUrl=http%3A//ww2.wrdw.com/global/category.asp%3Fc%3D52852%26title%3DFeatured+Videos%26WNResizeIframeID%3Dwn_frame46890810728072%26clientType%3Dwn_video_c%26WNResizeFileURL%3Dhttp%3A//www.wrdw.com/video&rnd=10400386" WIDTH=780 HEIGHT=1500>
<A HREF="http://ww2.wrdw.com/global/video/popup/pop_player.asp?ClipID1=1139378&h1=Interview%20with%20Tomirae%20Brown&vt1=v&at1=Community&d1=270567&LaunchPageAdTag=Homepage&fvCatNo=&backgroundImageURL=&activePane=info&playerVersion=1&hostPageUrl=http%3A//ww2.wrdw.com/global/category.asp%3Fc%3D52852%26title%3DFeatured+Videos%26WNResizeIframeID%3Dwn_frame46890810728072%26clientType%3Dwn_video_c%26WNResizeFileURL%3Dhttp%3A//www.wrdw.com/video&rnd=10400386">link</A>

</IFRAME>

Last edited:

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
<IFRAME SRC="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/showbiz/showbiznews.html?in_article_id=424818&in_page_id=1773" WIDTH=780 HEIGHT=1500>
<A HREF="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/showbiz/showbiznews.html?in_article_id=424818&in_page_id=1773">link</A>

</IFRAME>

Last edited:

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
<font size="4"><center>
James Brown's kids distance themselves from Hynie</font size></center>

headline_1168103267.jpg

By Stone Martindale
Jan 6, 2007, 16:52 GMT

James Brown's grown-up progeny refused to share in a TV tribute to the late soul legend on CNN show Larry King Live on Wednesday night when they discovered his widow Tomi Rae Hynie would be taking part.

Marriage and its legality, and how that will affect the inheritance is at the root of the problem. Tomi Rae Hynie allegedly was not legally married to their father, despite this fact, five-year-old son, James Brown II, is their stepbrother.

Attorney Debra Opri was sent as proxy to CNN to respond to claims made by Hynie, who served up a copy of her December 2001 marriage certificate on the show, and that she had been poorly treated at Brown's recent memorial service in Atlanta, Georgia.

Hynie told King the family refused to let her play a part in her husband's funeral and claimed Rev Al Sharpton "was rude and mean to her."

She says: "Reverend Sharpton said… the whole family had a part in arranging this funeral and the whole family did not, because the whole family ignored me. They never called me… They never even asked if their little brother needed something to eat or a place to sleep.," reported Entertainment Tonight.

Hynie reveals she took exception when Sharpton refused to refer to her as Brown's wife.

She adds: "I walked off the stage. That's when they told me that there was no more funeral and that I was to go this way. And that's when the eulogies were held and I wasn't able to say anything about my husband."

But attorney Opri has another story: "I was at the side stage with Reverend Sharpton… and, at the side of that stage, Tomi Rae was attempting to grab a microphone so she could perform at her own companion's funeral. Tomi Rae embarrassed herself and embarrassed the fans and the family the way she conducted herself."

http://people.monstersandcritics.co...es_Browns_kids_distance_themselves_from_Hynie

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
NOTE: The article above is somewhat misleading. While it emphatically implies Brown's children are "distancing" themselves from Hynie -- the only evidence of that is that some of them refused to appear on CNN's Larry King Live knowing that Hynie would also be present.

I would think any fool would know that Larry King would ask questions designed to let them all share their feelings and exploit any controversy that may or may not be present.

WHY NOT SAY they avoided the show because they wanted to avoid just the kind of controversy that Larry King was bound to try to stir up ??? Hell, if I didn't want controversy, I would have avoided that shit as well. If Tommie Hynie wanted to avoid controversy, maybe she should have thought about staying home, too.

QueEx

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
<font size="5"><center>James Brown Ordered DNA Test</font size><font size="4">
Brown Told Lawyers To DNA Test His Son From Deathbed</font size></center>

By Staff
Jan 7, 2007

James Brown instructed his attorneys to carry out DNA tests to determine whether his wife's son James Brown Ii was really his in the hours before he died on Christmas Day (25Dec06).

Family lawyer Debra Opri insisted the soul great wanted his kin to know the truth about the parentage of the five-year-old child his wife Tomi Rae Hynie always insisted was his - but refused to find out for himself while he was alive.

Opri says, "James Brown intentionally did not do any DNA testing of that child during his life. And there was a reason for it. "He uttered comments to his attorneys before he died and he said, 'When I'm gone, get it done so my family knows...' It's an issue that's going to be resolved very shortly."

http://www.postchronicle.com/news/original/article_21257694.shtml

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
Now I dont get this shit, you raise lil man like yours THEN order a dna test when you die?!!?!?!??!!?!?!?

that is cold blooded, dude aint have shit to do if his mom was a whore and you been letting him call you daddy all this time WITH DOUBT!!!!!!

Dont know what to believe with this one. 5 years olds dont even know what dna is they only know mommy and daddy, did he have it in for her so bad on his death bed?

I say let his WILL be it, who ever goes against it and wants court is a greedy fuck, whether this "companion" or his "family".

All his kids grown folk anyway, they dont have any right to shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She is an able bodied woman who was never legally married to him, get off your back if he didnt leave you anything and work, the kids money should be in a trust fund and give decent living to him, not expensive suv's to her.

kjxxxx

Star
Registered
Yes. Sorry it had to happen to the kid but we can't let women get away with tricking us. They need to learn that full disclosure is important. If they fucked up and they are uncertain they need to get it done before they string dudes along. I got one for both my kids. It's a proud feeling not having any doubt they are yours.

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
gene cisco said:
Now I dont get this shit, you raise lil man like yours THEN order a dna test when you die?!!?!?!??!!?!?!?

that is cold blooded, dude aint have shit to do if his mom was a whore and you been letting him call you daddy all this time WITH DOUBT!!!!!!

Dont know what to believe with this one. 5 years olds dont even know what dna is they only know mommy and daddy, did he have it in for her so bad on his death bed?
Its hard to make judgments when you don't know the facts. None of us know what the real relationship was between JB and Tommie Raye. None of us know whether JB had reason to be suspicious (he may or may not have known of infidelity on her part; and we don't know whether he had some reason to feel that he may have had a problem - that he didn't want to become public, during his life). Fact is, there are a number of scenarious that we could speculate upon.

Assuming he had some reason to doubt paternity, seems to me the man did a noble thing, during his life, to keep that shit out of the public view and to carry-on as if he was the father. If it turns out now that he is in fact the father, no harm done. If it turns out he is not the father, he did what he could -- but he didn't have an obligation, moral or legal, to do anything further. What we don't know is whether JB provided for the child in one way, if he is in fact his child, and another way - something less than being completely omitted, if he is not.

I say let his WILL be it, who ever goes against it and wants court is a greedy fuck, whether this "companion" or his "family".
Not so fast.

If someone has reason to believe they have been "Legally" slighted, they should file a challenge. In most states, if a Will is signed BEFORE the birth of a child, obviously, that child would not be mentioned in that Will (a Pretermitted Child). Nevertheless, the law in those states "Presume" that the person, had he thought about it, would not have wanted the child to be omitted from the Will. In other words, had the person thought about it, he probably would have had the Will changed to reflect the change in his family. Hence, the law allows that child to take a share of the estate and share with the other children named in the Will. That child, then, would have to file a challenge to the Will, so to speak, so as to claim his or her share.

In some states, the law gives similar treatment to wives that come along AFTER the Will has been signed (a Omitted Spouse). Similarly, the law in many states will allow the Omitted spouse to share in the estate because the law presumes that had the person "thought about it" he would have changed his will to include the spouse or ... to make clear that she is not to share in his estate. Many states will allow one to cut the other spouse off, BUT, the intent to cut off a spouse must be made manifestly clear in the Will.

Bottom line, its not as easy, simple or cut and dried as you think -- and those people have a right to and should challenge a Will. In many of these cases, it could mean the difference between life ... and damn near economic death.

All his kids grown folk anyway, they dont have any right to shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WRONG. All of his natural children and those adopted, if any, are HEIRS and have every RIGHT.

[1] She is an able bodied woman who was never legally married to him, get off your back if he didnt leave you anything and work, [2] the kids money should be in a trust fund and give decent living to him, not expensive suv's to her.
[1] I suspect as the news articles are hinting, whether or not she was his spouse will be decided in court.

I don't know the law in South Carolina or Georgia -- but I suspect that it is much the same as most southern states which means that there is going to be a real question as to: whether JB <u>held Tommie out as his wife</u> AFTER the divorce/annullment with the guy she was married to at the time she married JB.

If he held her out to be his wife after her divorce/annullment, she will have an interesting claim to be JB's common law wife at the time of his death. (holding-one-out-as-common-law-spouse usually means introducting that person in the normal course of life to others as in, "Yo gene, this is my wife, <s>Bitch</s> oops ... Beyonce ..."). (There is more to being a common law spouse, I'm keeping it simple here).

Assuming she can make the case as JB's common law wife (even if she fails to prove to be his wife by ceremonial marriage), then the question becomes when was JB's Will signed ???

If the Will was signed BEFORE the divorce/annulment and AFTER the divorce/annulment JB held her out as his wife (and she is in fact adjudicated to be his common law spouse), what about the Will then ??? She may be able to claim as an Omitted Spouse and claim whatever South Carolina or Georgia allows an Omitted Spouse. How serious could that be ???

In some states, if the dead person leaves surviving children, the surviving spouse (the husband or wife that outlives the other) takes the first $50,000 in value of the estate plus HALF of the remainder of the estate.

JB's estate is rumored to be around 10 Million. In this scenario, Tommie would be entitled to around 5 Million plus 50 thousand. HOLD UP, lol, thats if all of the children are the children of the surviving spouse. If the children are not all of the suriving spouse (the dead person had children that are not the children of the surviving spouse -- could have had them before the marriage or during it) -- the surviving spouse still takes HALF of the estate and the children share, equally, the remainder.

If the Court finds Tommie to be the surviving spouse, she could possibly be entitled to about 5 MILLION and JB's 7 seven children could each see about $714,000 -- or less, as we haven't talked about litigation/Probate expenses, and what if that 10M was not clear -- that is, what if JB had debts that must be satisfied before we even talk about what Tommie and the children could get.

Now, you still think everyone should just STFU ??? lol.

I don't think so. Do you see how important it is now whether Tommie Raye was JB's wife (by ceremonial marriage or by common law)??? In either case she would be JB's surviving spouse -- despite the fact that he may not have had a marriage ceremony after Tommie's divorce or annullment ??? More importantly, do you see how nasty this shit can get ... Tommie doesn't have anything to lose and a lot to gain. If she is in fact JB's surviving spouse, she should do what any other surviving spouse would do -- stake her claim. But whatever she gets will determine what JB's children get - regardless of what JB stated in his Will.

[2] If the child is found to be JB's, a good deal of it would have to be placed under some form of supervision until he reaches majority. Nevertheless, whoever he lives with, Tommie or whomever, that person will draw down sums (probably in amounts approved by the Probate Court) for his maintenance -- which could mean sums for his housing, transportation and living until he reaches majority -- which might not be chicken feed. And, whomever is taking care of James II, the will get to live in and use that big ass house and SUV (lol) and go on all those nice educational/life enhancing trips to Europe, Disney and elsewhere with lil James II, with most expenses paid.

THE MORAL OF THIS STORY: JB didn't know that he was going to leave us on Christmas morning, 2006. In fact, he knew not the day, month, year or the hour. None of us do. If you don't take the time to take care of these matters as circumstances change and develop, YOU WILL LEAVE A MESS BEHIND FOR OTHERS TO SORT OUT ... and many times, they are the same people that you love and would not want to be going through this kind of shit.

Note: A Will is said to be completely "Ambulatory" ... meaning it can be changed as often as one desires. The Will should be reviewed often to see if changes are necessary.

QueEx

Last edited:

AgentCreed

Star
Registered
Typical white woman. James messed up. Hopefully the kid isnt his and this white devil woman can go away and let his real family handle things.

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
More like typical entertainer, wouldn't you say? - and don't stop there, criticize them all. And don't stop there ....

QueEx

AgentCreed

Star
Registered
wouldnt say typical entertainer. Denzel and a few black actors and singers are in black love relationships. i dont see any useful person for white women and this woman proves it moreso. she goes on tv and flips out and has no dignity. puts on a show so ppl can feel bad for her when she didnt even live with him. if the kid isnt his and the will cuts her out she'll still challenge b/c she wants money. James messed up by not sticking to his black and proud beliefs and i am hopeful his family and lawyer fix it. if the kid is his there needs to be a guardian who approves any money needed for the kid to not have his mother go spending the money on herself.

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Maddbaron said:
wouldnt say typical entertainer. Denzel and a few black actors and singers are in black love relationships.
That would be "atypical" ...; but I'm sure the Black/Black love ratio is more than that.

if the kid isnt his and the will cuts her out she'll still challenge b/c she wants money.
If the child isn't his, the child doesn't share in his estate unless named in the Will. On the other hand, if she is not mentioned in the Will, even if she challenged it, would she be doing something any other purported spouse wouldn't do, the circumstances being equal ???

James messed up by not sticking to his black and proud beliefs and i am hopeful his family and lawyer fix it.
I don't see how the message JB so timely delivered in 1968 is in anyway diminished by his personal-love/fuck life choices. How did that make him or us, any less proud ???

if the kid is his there needs to be a guardian who approves any money needed for the kid to not have his mother go spending the money on herself.
See my post above.

QueEx

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
Que ,excellent points as always, BUT you conclusion says it best.

Cover your ass as the wind changes in your will, any little problem will lead to the greedy trying to go against your will.

I speak from experience on this shit, I have seen long lost muthafuckas who the person didnt want anything to do with claim shit, and by law they were right, but this person hated them but didnt trust the law.

Alot of old timers are like that.

Most people, dont even know aobut commonlaw, or many of the other laws when it comes to kin that change from state to state.

They think they make a will, thats it, they die, and their money is divided right.

My thing with the kid is you have to have an emotional bond with the kid after 5 years and I wouldnt fuck him up by putting him through anything.

Maybe james, like most of us MALES, didnt want to deal with death and just put the new will off til tomorrow.

Probate is a muthafucka and I have seen it tear people and families apart when the person that had shit didnt say who was gonna get THEIR shit, you see people that this person hasnt talked to coming out the woodwork.

Excellent points, sad that most laymen dont do more in terms of the will.

As I type this I need mine updated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We never want to think about leaving it behind, just how to get more and enjoy what we have.

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
<font size="5"><center>James Brown's Kids Want Trustees Removed</font size>
<font size="4">Children believe their dad’s estate has been mismanaged</font size></center>

January 30, 2007
EurWeb

In the ongoing family dispute that has kept their father James Brown from his final resting place, the late singer’s six adult children filed an emergency petition late Wednesday to have the Godfather of Soul’s trustees removed due to mismanagement of his estate.

According to the AP, the petition filed in Aiken County also claimed that some of Brown's assets are in danger of being "lost or dissipated or stolen."

Trustee Buddy Dallas, also an attorney for Brown, tells AP that items in the trust were handled "appropriately and properly" when the 73-year-old entertainer died Dec. 25.

"I've been Mr. Brown's trusted friend and counsel for 24 years _ a relationship that was built totally on our trust," Dallas said. "And I never violated that trust for 24 years."

Signed in 2000, Brown’s irrevocable trust reportedly contains most of his primary assets, including music rights and his 60-acre Beech Island home.

Brown's will, separate from the trust, was filed last week and divided personal possessions such as clothes, jewelry and automobiles among the six children. His seventh child with longtime partner Tomi Rae Hynie was not included in the will.

A court hearing was scheduled for Feb. 1.

http://www.blackwebportal.com/wire/DA.cfm?ArticleID=2855

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
<font size="5"><center>Brown's Partner Granted Access to Home</font size>
<font size="4">Tomi Rae Hynie says she has been locked out
of the home in Beech Island since Brown died Christmas Day</font size></center>

headline_1168103267.jpg

Feb 9, 1:31 PM (ET)
Associated Press
By KATRINA A. GOGGINS

AIKEN, S.C. (AP) - The woman who claims to be James Brown's fourth wife will be allowed to return to the home she shared with the singer to retrieve her belongings, a judge ruled Friday. It was not immediately clear when she planned to go to the home.

Tomi Rae Hynie says she has been locked out of the home in Beech Island since Brown died Christmas Day. He was 73.

Hynie says she and Brown were married, something that is disputed by Brown's attorneys.

Hynie and the singer's six adult children were in court Friday in an attempt to remove three trustees who are handling the late singer's estate. The children claim the estate has been mismanaged.

Attorneys for the trustees said Friday they plan a countersuit. An attorney handling Brown's will, Strom Thurmond Jr., asked the judge in Aiken County for a restraining order against the children, saying they have interfered with the administration of the estate.

The singer's embalmed body remains at an undisclosed location, in the same sealed, gold casket seen at his funeral, awaiting a decision on where to bury it, officials at the funeral home that handled Brown's funeral confirmed Thursday.

http://apnews1.iwon.com//article/20070209/D8N6BSIO1.html

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
<FONT SIZE="5"><CENTER>
Agreement on Burial of James Brown</FONT SIZE></CENTER>

Feb 20, 7:41 PM (ET)
Associated Press
By KATRINA A. GOGGINS

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) - The six adult children of singer James Brown have agreed with his partner, Tomi Rae Hynie, on where the entertainer will be buried, an attorney for the woman said Tuesday.

Hynie's attorney, Robert Rosen, said the resting place is being kept confidential at the request of Brown's children. Rosen said the burial may take place in the "next few days." An attorney for Brown's children would not discuss specifics of any burial plans, but he said an agreement was being worked out.

Brown died Christmas Day at age 73. His body is being kept in a confidential location, said Charles Reid, manager of the C.A. Reid Funeral Home in Augusta, Ga., which handled Brown's funeral.

He said he checked on Brown on Tuesday, opening the gold casket to view the body.

"I do that constantly," Reid said. "That's the only way I can actually check him ... go in, open the casket and close it. And he's fine."

South Carolina Court
Meanwhile, a South Carolina judge in a ruling made public Tuesday said the trustees accused of mismanaging Brown's estate will keep handling his property and trust, but a special administrator will oversee their work.

The singer's six adult children were in an Aiken County court Feb. 9 in an attempt to remove three trustees who are handling the late singer's estate. They claim it has been mismanaged.

The children and Hynie had both asked the court to appoint a special administrator to oversee the trust.

Such an administrator "will protect the estate by permitting all claims to be pursued and investigated with the required due diligence, and will assist this Court in assessing the proper administration of the estate," Judge Doyet Early said in his ruling, dated Monday.

The order also prevents the administrator and trustees from selling or transferring any of Brown's assets unless they all agree. All property removed from Brown's home - including mail, files, safe combinations and checkbooks - must be returned to the trustees within five days, Early wrote.

Rosen said he and his client were pleased with the appointment of a special administrator.

David Yount, an attorney for Brown's children, said his clients also were happy. He noted the administrator will be able to investigate claims of impropriety.

Brown's attorney, trustee Buddy Dallas, said he was pleased and vindicated by the decision.

"We told the court that we had no objection whatsoever to a special administrator and the court has now ruled that there were no improprieties on the part of the personal representatives," Dallas said.

Brown's children claimed in court papers last month that trustees had "mismanaged and otherwise dissipated assets and income of the trust to the detriment of James Brown" and that some of Brown's assets were in danger of being "lost or dissipated or stolen."

The trust is said to contain most of Brown's primary assets, including the late singer's music rights and his 60-acre Beech Island home, and is separate from Brown's will filed last month. The will called for personal possessions such as clothes, jewelry, boats and automobiles to be divided among the children.

Dallas said the children's petition "delayed the wishes and legacy of Mr. Brown." But it won't likely be the last hearing over the singer's estate.

"As long as there's a lawyer who can earn a fee, this will go on," Dallas said.

http://apnews1.iwon.com//article/20070221/D8NDPASO0.html

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
<font size="5"><center>Lawyer: DNA Agreement Reached on Brown</font size></center>

Associated Press
Feb 27, 8:51 AM (ET)

AIKEN, S.C. (AP) - A lawyer for James Brown's partner says an agreement has been reached over obtaining DNA samples from the late soul singer's body.

Lawyers for Brown's trustees wanted DNA samples to help sort out several paternity claims made against the singer since he died two months ago.

Brown's partner, Tomi Rae Hynie, originally didn't like the way the trustees wanted the DNA collected, her lawyer, Robert Rosen said.

But both sides have reached an agreement on how to collect the samples, leading to the cancellation of a hearing scheduled for Tuesday, Rosen told The Augusta (Ga.) Chronicle.

Instead, the lawyers plan to present an order for the judge to sign, Rosen said.

Rosen did not return a phone message from The Associated Press left at his office Tuesday.

Brown, who died Dec. 25 at the age of 73, has yet to be buried. His trustees have said it would be easier to collect the DNA samples before he is entombed in his final resting place.

Representatives of Hynie and Brown's six adult children have said they reached an agreement on where to bury the singer, but have not made the arrangements public.

Hynie says she is the singer's fourth wife and has a child with Brown. She says she wants a paternity test to prove it.

Attorneys for the singer have said Brown and Hynie weren't legally married when he died because she was married to another man when they said their vows.

http://apnews1.iwon.com//article/20070227/D8NI3F480.html

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
<font size="5"><center>2 Months Later James Brown Buried Finally
But Maybe Not for Long</font size></center>

March 10, 3:03 PM (ET)
Associated Press
By KATRINA A. GOGGINS

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) - James Brown's body was placed in a crypt Saturday at the Beech Island home of one of the soul singer's daughters, a spokeswoman for the Rev. Al Sharpton said.

Sharpton presided over the private ceremony held for family and a few friends at the home of Deanna Brown Thomas, Rachel Noerdlinger said.

Also at the service were Brown's partner, Tomi Rae Hynie, and the couple's young son, said her spokesman, Michael Nason said.

The service took place more than two months after the singer died in an Atlanta hospital. Brown died Dec. 25 at age 73, and his body had been held at an undisclosed location since then.

The service was in sharp contrast to elaborate funerals for the Godfather of Soul held in the days after his death in New York and Augusta, Ga., where more than 8,500 people filled an arena bearing his name.

The crypt likely will not be Brown's final resting place. A public mausoleum is being built and its location will be announced once it is completed, Noerdlinger said.

Brown's children decided to use their own money to place his body in the crypt instead of waiting for disputes over his estate to be settled in court, Sharpton said in a statement.

"The children wanted to see their father entombed in a resting place without delay," Sharpton said.

Hynie, who claims she is Brown's fourth wife, and her son were not included in Brown's will. Attorneys for Brown said his marriage to his backup singer was annulled because Hynie was still married to another man.

A longtime friend of Brown and trustee of his estate was disappointed by the service.

The trustees had made arrangements for Brown to be laid to rest at no cost at a "very prominent memorial garden in Augusta," Buddy Dallas told the AP by phone. "Mr. Brown's not deserving of anyone's backyard," said Dallas, who was not at Saturday's service.

Brown's family blamed the delay in burying the singer on issues surrounding his estate.

http://apnews1.iwon.com//article/20070310/D8NPGUEG1.html

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
<font size="5"><center>
5 of James Brown's children challenge his will</font size><font size="4">
Some of family argue that musicians former advisers used
undue influence to set up trust that they would profit from</font size></center>

071230-brown-hmed-6a.hmedium.jpg

Louis Levensen, an attorney for James Brown's adult children,
right, talks to Yamma Brown, daughter of singer James Brown,
before a hearing on David Cannon, a former trustee for the
James Brown Estate, contempt of court issue Nov. 15, 2007,
in court in Bamberg, S.C.

APTRANS.gif

Sun., Dec. 30, 2007

AIKEN, S.C. - Five of James Brown's children say their late father's will should be invalidated because his former advisers used undue influence to get him to create charitable trusts that the advisers would profit from, according to court documents filed this week.

The children were largely left out of the financial portion of the will, which leaves the bulk of the soul singer's money to trusts set up to educate Brown's grandchildren and needy kids.

Atlanta attorney Louis Levenson said the children discovered earlier wills drafted by their father that cast doubt on whether he truly wanted to leave his estate to charity.

"There was sporadic indication that Mr. Brown intended to benefit some charities, but the circumstances surrounding the making of these documents have always been clouded in mystery," Levenson said.

Five Brown children are challenging the will in Aiken County Probate Court. They claim Brown's longtime advisers Buddy Dallas, Alford Bradley and David Cannon convinced the soul singer to create the trusts so the advisers would profit from managing the two charities after Brown died.

'Act of desperation'
Dallas denied the allegations and called attempts to void the will "an act of desperation."

"No one told James Brown what to do," Dallas said, adding that if he were going to use his influence to benefit himself, "I would have just influenced him into giving me something."

The Brown children challenging the will are Deanna Brown Thomas, Venisha Brown, Daryl Brown, Yamma Brown Lumar and Larry Brown. A sixth child named in Brown's will, Terry Brown, has hired a different attorney.

One grandchild whose tuition would be paid for by the trusts has accused his relatives of trying to break the charities to get the money.

Most of Brown's estate, including his Beech Island home and rights to his image, name and music, would go to the James Brown "I Feel Good" Trust for the education of needy children in South Carolina and Georgia, as well as to a family trust to educate his grandchildren younger than 35.

Brown died on Christmas Day 2006 of heart failure. He was 73.

Just how much money is involved in Brown's estate is unclear. In October, Forbes reported Brown made an estimated $5 million in 2005 alone. But attorneys have said Brown's accounts do not have the money they expected.

© 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22434035/

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Re: WTF: MLK Family Feud

i'm more interested in the James Brown family feud. Now that's real money.

<font size="4">Really?

</font size>
<font size="5"><center>SC judge OKs James Brown auction</font size></center>

Associated Press
July 15, 2008

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — A South Carolina judge says an auction of James Brown's belongings in New York can go forward as planned this week.

South Carolina Court of Appeals Judge Jasper Cureton on Monday lifted a temporary stay that could have held up the sale of the late soul singer's belongings.

Christie's auction house has planned the bidding for Thursday. Among the 320 items for sale are a red jumpsuit and blue satin cape.

The singer's former business managers, Buddy Dallas and Alfred Bradley, had argued the auction should be stopped. They claimed the court should not have been able to appoint new trustees to handle Brown's estate.

Brown died on Christmas Day in 2006 of heart failure. He was 73.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gi1VN0_TPbPgl-RyAIQO0If3eBjgD91TTLIG6

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator

<IFRAME SRC="http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7511290.stm" WIDTH=780 HEIGHT=1500>
<A HREF="http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7511290.stm">link</A>

</IFRAME>

Non-StopJFK2TAB

Rising Star
Platinum Member

i thought they said it was 50 mill with the issue debating the validity of the last wife's title.

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
There May Be a New Investigation Underway Into James Brown's Death

1581884852208.jpeg
Photo: Frank Micelotta (Getty Images)

The Root
Zack Linly
Today
February 16, 2020
Filed to:JAMES BROWN

The Godfather of Soul is back — or at least investigations into his death may be.

Iconic singer, songwriter, dancer, musician, record producer and bandleader James Brown died, reportedly of heart failure in 2006 at age 73. But the Fulton County district attorney is taking another look at his death after a woman surfaced with a surprising claim, WBS-TV2 reported.
The Associated Press is reporting that a woman named Jacque Hollander contacted Fulton County District Attorney Paul Howard’s office to request a meeting, claiming Brown’s death was caused by another person, according to the prosecutor’s spokesman Chris Hopper. Howard met with Hollander on Wednesday and accepted a bin of materials she said related to Brown’s death.
Howard will look at the materials Hollander brought and will decide whether to open an investigation, Hopper said.
Last year CNN published a 3-part investigative series that raised questions about Brown’s death. According to the series, 13 people, includingBrown’s manager, his son Daryl, his last wife, a man who claimed to have taken a vial of Brown’s blood from the hospital and Hollander wanted either an autopsy or a criminal investigation. Hollander, who was a circus singer, first called CNN in 2017 alleging that Brown had been murdered.

CNN said it was Hollander who met with the district attorney on Wednesday and that she’d tried to arrange the meeting in 2019, but she says no one called her back. Howard agreed to meet with her in January after CNN asked the prosecutor’s spokesman about her calls. He even allowed a CNN reporter and a camera crew into the conference room during the interview.

It’s worth mentioning that in 2017, Marvin Crawford, the doctor who signed that certificate, said in an interview with CNN that he’d always wondered what exactly caused his heart failure and whether Brown’s sudden death had been caused by a toxic substance.
“He changed too fast,” Crawford said. “He was a patient I would never have predicted would have coded. ... But he died that night, and I did raise that question: What went wrong in that room?”

But recently Crawford spoke to TMZ reportersdenying that he ever said that and saying emphatically that Brown wasn’t murdered and that the Fulton County D.A.’s Office is wasting its time in looking into Hollander’s claims and so-called evidence.

About his previous comments raising questions about Brown’s death, he said, “CNN said I said that but I didn’t say that about the drugs.”