iPhone vs gPhone: No Competition?

Gadgetman

Support BGOL
Registered
By Ali Ord - Sun, 06/21/2009 - 10:30

Has T-Mobile Blown It?

The iPhone comes out TOMORROW (6/19/2009)! But wait...when is the Google myTouch 3g releasing to public? Hype about the Google phone is virtually nonexistent. Is it T-Mobile’s marketing ineptitude? Is it some production delay? Have there been bureaucratic pitfalls? We have no idea, but while everyone is foaming at the mouth over the latest iteration of the iPhone, news on it’s Android competition is conspicuously hard to come by.​
Did T-Mobile and Google miss the boat by not promoting a new Android? Your Thoughts?

seenme.jpg
seenme.jpg
Apple told everybody what the iPhone does and when we could get one weeks ago. What’s more, despite the fact that ‘what it does’ is pretty much the same as ‘what the old one already did (but faster)’ they still made enough people want one that the pre-sale models were gone almost a week ahead of release.

So...my question is...When does this new Android device come out? we don’t really even know the name of the thing. MyTouch 3G, G3, gPhone, ION, HTC Magic... I mean really. Forget about the tech specs (which would also be nice to be able to talk about), we don’t even know what to call the damned thing.

nietzsche.jpg
Apple deserves a lot of credit (I guess?) for being good marketers. Of course what have they had to work against? It’s not hard to out market something that isn’t being marketed. What is the new iPhone competing with? The new Google phone we know nothing about aside, we’ve got the Palm Pre from Sprint and what? Who has seen a single Pre commercial or ad? Who’s left? Verizon’s touchscreen trainwreck ‘Storm’? Please. Nietzsche said; “At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid.” It definitely fits here.

While Google/T-Mobile are hiding little details, people are running as fast as they can to the next shiny object, which just so happens to be the iPhone 3Gs. I’m not saying Google’s new phone doesn't have a chance, but the way things are going, they aren’t even making Apple break a sweat.

Michael Martin, who maintains a Google-approved blog for Android called Google And Blog, talked with WebProNews about the upcoming Google phone. Michael likened the iPhone and gPhone to the Mac vs. PC conflict in the 1980's. When asked what he thinks Apple’s response will be to Google’s (what he calls) "ION", Michael says “we'll see what happens”. As for his predictions on consumer reaction to the Google phone vs. iPhone, he says; “there is a trash-bin not too far away, so if you have an iPhone you can put it in there and pick up an Android." Not that we have any idea WHEN we can pick one up - or even what to ask for... Just for the record, Michael Martin gave us more information about this mystery phone than T-Moblie has, so we actually owe him a thank you.

To me the most frustrating and baffling aspect of all of this is the fact that the HTC Magic (which will be renamed to ‘something’ in the USA) has already been out for weeks in Europe. The good news is, if you dig around hard enough, you can find specs and even some (mostly positive) reviews of the Google phone. So, all the more reason to wonder why most people in America have no idea about the thing.

ivsg.jpg
The truth is, I’ve heard non-stop chatter about the iPhone but until my manager mentioned Google's new phone, I didn’t even know there was such a thing. After researching Android a little, I found that any information on it was unreasonably difficult to come by. By contrast, type in iPhone 3g into Google and anything you want to know is right in front of you.

Google is clearly motivated and highly interested in encouraging application development for Android. This was made clear a couple of weeks ago when they gave away a couple hundred of the new handsets at the I/O conference. Certainly that did some good insofar as generating some Buzz, but they (or maybe T-Mobile) have made little or no effort to engage consumers. They just let Apple have a free ride with the new iPhone without putting so much as a bug in the public ear about their competing product.

Would the announcement of a Google Phone have effected your decision to buy a new iPhone? Comment Below.
T-moblie has not done well (to put it mildly) with marketing their product and really needs to get the ball rolling if they expect the newest Android to compete on any level with iPhone. Understand, I find Google's up and coming phone very intriguing (from what i have seen), I just don’t think it’s ideal from a marketing standpoint that I have to look so hard for information about it.

Ruff Ryder

Robotix
Registered
I don't get off into the whole phone war thing.

I have a 1st gen iPhone and I recently upgraded the software to 3.0 and that is a sweet upgrade, I also have a new 3Gs on the way.

Steve Lurkle

Star
Registered
The article pretty much sums it up. Apple has done a good job at making people think that they are getting a great new experience, when in reality theyre giving you the same car, with a different engine. The Apple minions will follow whatever Apple tells them to do. The iPhone is a very good phone, im not bashing it. The G1 has done an outstanding job considering it has only been on the market for 8 months, and already has a 15% share (Compared to Apples 60% After 3+ years) of the "Smartphone" market. The Android OS is already being ported to Netbooks, with full fledged PCs in the near future. The more devices with Android means even further tweaking, and upgrading of the OS.

My opinion is this, and I have a G1, surrounded by friends with iPhones:

The iPhone is sexier and is desireable to more people. I say more people because the iPhone is loved by women. More so than any other phone I can recall, maybe the Razor is the only other one, since it came in pink and such. The iPhone has better apps, by far, which is atrributed to the fact that its been developed for 3 years. This is the battle that people want to see, but what they need to realize is the iPhone vS. Gphone isnt a battle, since the iPhone is just that, a phone, while the G1(Android) is a total OS, portable across all genres of electronic devices.

AgentCreed

Star
Registered
its not iphon vs g1 its android vs apple.
by end of year 18 new android phones some running better specs than the iphone will be out on different carriers compared to an iphone on att. n tmo will have many of them.
iphones just got upgrades the g1 been had n by christmas the androids will have what iphone doesnt.
g1 was never meant to go against the iphone....
also grand central is prepping to run 4 everyone add that to the androids.
iphone is the "cool" style device but functionally it is playing catch up with the blackberry's and soon the androids.
androids r more cost effective and on tmo the plans r better than att's.
check back next summer and the story will be different...android will dominate the market with all their phones and constant updates to what users want.
whereas iphone might still be on bitch ass att annoying their users.
google is smart they r copying the rim model and combining it with open source.

AgentCreed

Star
Registered
The article pretty much sums it up. Apple has done a good job at making people think that they are getting a great new experience, when in reality theyre giving you the same car, with a different engine. The Apple minions will follow whatever Apple tells them to do. The iPhone is a very good phone, im not bashing it. The G1 has done an outstanding job considering it has only been on the market for 8 months, and already has a 15% share (Compared to Apples 60% After 3+ years) of the "Smartphone" market. The Android OS is already being ported to Netbooks, with full fledged PCs in the near future. The more devices with Android means even further tweaking, and upgrading of the OS.

My opinion is this, and I have a G1, surrounded by friends with iPhones:

The iPhone is sexier and is desireable to more people. I say more people because the iPhone is loved by women. More so than any other phone I can recall, maybe the Razor is the only other one, since it came in pink and such. The iPhone has better apps, by far, which is atrributed to the fact that its been developed for 3 years. This is the battle that people want to see, but what they need to realize is the iPhone vS. Gphone isnt a battle, since the iPhone is just that, a phone, while the G1(Android) is a total OS, portable across all genres of electronic devices.

yup and it took apple 3 yrs to come out with 3.0 and took google 8 months to deliver 1.5 and by oct they will have 2.0 out. by the time iphone 4g comes out androids might be on 5.0 lol

but hey some would rather be cool with the "it" hype phone then a device that does more.
i find it funny apple says the iphone delivers real web experience...but it lacks java and flash....so is that actually real web?

Flawless

Flawless One
BGOL Investor
I don't get off into the whole phone war thing.

I have a 1st gen iPhone and I recently upgraded the software to 3.0 and that is a sweet upgrade, I also have a new 3Gs on the way.
hey did you notice any difference in the 3g speed? because the edge is slowwwwww

Rudey

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
both good phones, doesnt really matter which one you get

True, the media has done a great job brain washing these fools to waste their money and become addicted to these technology from updates to the newest gadgets on the market.Seriously what exactly you need a phone with all those features for? I understood the importance of some.