In the Heights Trailer: Lin-Manuel Miranda’s First Musical Hustles Its Way to the Screen

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
the featured parts.

another part of the discussion is that the people speaking out and saying what should or should not be were also not Dominican.

the issue with Rita Moreno speaking out was that she has no standing to address it...as well as others who were responding to the controversy.

Similar to white people telling us how we should feel or respond to anything.
Yeah.....so my issue is that I wonder how much of this is actually people upset or people just stirring shit up. Because on Twitter.....the most people I see having a issue are lighter Dominicans and black people....

Which its not fair to assume.

I probably should have a issue with this but I Just can't find it in me to care.

Seems like Afro Latinas never ride out on our issues we have. Most don't even consider themselves to be black.

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The Colorism controversy is a fair assessment.
I absolutely LOVED the film. And plan on seeing it again this week on the largest screen possible (IMAX).

But I'm certainly not going to sit here and act like I wasn't thinking of the "Colorism" issue either.
Especially since it's my 'hood.
Because with the except of the characters of Benny (who's actually Black) and Nina,
The Afro-Latin experience is pretty much side-lined and glossed over.

As a Black Man who was raised and lived in the area during the 70s/80s, (born and raised in Harlem and Da Bronx during the 60s) I know of the various issues many Afro-Latins faced from inside/outside their families regarding their darker skin color.
Hell. That's been in my own family.
I've been reading how quite a few Black and Latino folks are upset with Miranda of late. This issue has just added to it.

Again,
I enjoyed the film immensely. Even with its issues. But I'm glad to see it bring out discussions concerning various aspects of it.
But considering the area, Miranda should have known better.
But he fell in for the Ole Hollywood Colorism line.
It's like some studios (and Creatives) haven't learned a DAMN THING from "BLACK PANTHER".

Can't wait to see the "issues" coming up with Spielberg's version of "WEST SIDE STORY
Now that's a film we DON'T need...AGAIN!!!

I get why they probably didn't see this crtifcisim coming....

Like I said above, I watched it and noticed off bat that there were people of all shades in it. And I didn't know who the leads were or were going to be before I started watching so that's probably why I didn't see the colorism there.

HAR125LEM

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Yeah.....so my issue is that I wonder how much of this is actually people upset or people just stirring shit up. Because on Twitter.....the most people I see having a issue are lighter Dominicans and black people....

I probably should have a issue with this but I Just can't find it in me to care.

Seems like Afro Latinas never ride out on our issues we have. Most don't even consider themselves to be black.

I was going to bring that up in my post.
A lot of Dominican Peeps are certainly the worst with that.

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
And so let me ask a question...if there were more black people like Corey Hawkins with speaking parts....would it still be a issue? Is the issue here "representation" or the lack of afro Latina/latino hired actors in speaking parts?

ballscout1

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

I can't say what most do but I know the colorism in Latin countries and with latin people are an issue and many that those that aren't afro latino are treated better..

The interview I listened to was very enlightening and a good interview...

I haven't followed any of it on twitter or other social media...

I agree about not caring, I just thought it interesting because I have seen similar shit in our communities and amongst some of our people

HAR125LEM

Rising Star
Platinum Member
And so let me ask a question...if there were more black people like Corey Hawkins with speaking parts....would it still be a issue? Is the issue here "representation" or the lack of afro Latina/latino hired actors in speaking parts?

At The End Of The Day...

It's all about Representation.
I believe a lot of Latinos placed much hope on "IN THE HEIGHTS" being that ONE film in which some folks of a particular persuasion get their "due".
And it fell pretty short to them.
Especially since it's supposed to be about life in Washington Heights.

Much like when some Asian Folks were upset with "CRAZY RICH ASIANS".
Which incidentally was directed by the same guy, Jon Chu.

As a Movie Musical, I feel it's AWESOME!
And I'm not really a fan of many latter day Movie Musicals.
I'm more '30s - '50s fan for that genre.
My appreciation comes from its representing my (old) neighborhood.
With its Production Values and shit.

But Again,
I see the issue people have with it.
But I didn't let it stop me from enjoying it.
Though I did feel that the actors initially stumbled a bit with the singing.
But once it got to "96, 000",
Shit was like WOW!!!
Things fell into place.

That 4K release better be DA SHIT!!!