Ilhan Omar and the New Congress + her father has died of COVID-19

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Ilhan Omar
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

upload_2019-2-14_8-57-13.jpeg

Ilhan Abdullahi Omar (born October 4, 1981) is a Somali-American politician serving as the U.S. Representative for Minnesota's 5th congressional district since 2019. The district is based in Minneapolis and also includes Edina, Richfield, St. Louis Park, Robbinsdale, Golden Valley and Fridley.

In 2016, Omar was elected to the Minnesota House of Representatives as a member of the Democratic–Farmer–Labor Party, making her the first Somali American elected to legislative office in the United States.[1] On November 6, 2018, she became the first naturalized citizen from Africa and first Somali-American elected to the United States Congress. Along with Rashida Tlaib, she was one of the first two Muslim women elected to Congress and the first woman of color to serve as a U.S. representative from Minnesota.[2][3][4]

A critic of Israel, Omar has attracted controversy for her position and comments on the issue. In 2019, she drew condemnation from Nancy Pelosi, the Democratic House leadership, and a number of Jewish organizations for a tweet that was perceived as antisemitic, in which she suggested that American support for Israel was rooted in money spent by the American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC). She later apologized for the tweet in a statement, and added that she "reaffirms the problematic role of lobbyists in our politics, whether it be AIPAC, the NRA or the fossil fuel industry."

Early Life and Career
Omar was born on October 4, 1981, in Mogadishu[5] and spent her early years in Baydhabo, Somalia.[6][7] She was the youngest of seven siblings. Her father, Nur Omar Mohamed, a Somali, worked as a teacher trainer.[8]Her mother, Fadhuma Abukar Haji Hussein, was a Benadiri, and died when Omar was two years old.[9] She was thereafter raised by her father and grandfather.[10] Her grandfather, Abukar, was the director of Somalia's National Marine Transport, with her uncles and aunts also working as civil servants and educators.[8] After the start of Somali Civil War in 1991, she and her family fled the country and spent four years in a refugee camp in Kenya.[11]

In 1995, Omar and her family's application to be resettled as refugees in the U.S. was approved, and they initially settled in Arlington, Virginia.[9][12]In 1995, they moved to Minneapolis, where she learned English. Her father worked initially as a taxi driver, later as a postal office worker.[9] Her father and grandfather emphasized during her upbringing the importance of democracy, and she accompanied her grandfather to caucus meetings at age 14, serving as his interpreter.[10][13] Omar became a U.S. citizen in 2000 when she was 17 years old.[14][9] She has spoken about being bullied for wearing a hijab during her time in Virginia, recalling classmates sticking gum on her hijab, pushing her down stairs, and jumping her when changing for gym class.[15] Omar remembers her father's reaction to these incidents: "They are doing something to you because they feel threatened in some way by your existence.”[16]

Omar attended Edison High School, and volunteered there as a student organizer.[17] She graduated from North Dakota State University[13] with bachelor's degrees in political science and international studies in 2011.[18][19]

Omar was a Policy Fellow at the Humphrey School of Public Affairs.[19]

Early Career

Last edited:

MCP

International
International Member
GettyImages-1124584429-1549922463.jpg

There Is a Taboo Against Criticizing AIPAC — and Ilhan Omar Just Destroyed It

In 2005, Steven Rosen, then a senior official with the American Israel Public Affairs Committee, or AIPAC, sat down for dinner with journalist Jeffrey Goldberg, then of the New Yorker. “You see this napkin?” Rosen asked Goldberg. “In twenty-four hours, [AIPAC] could have the signatures of seventy senators on this napkin.”

I couldn’t help but be reminded of this anecdote after Rep. Ilhan Omar, of Minnesota’s 5th Congressional District, was slammed by Democrats and Republicans alike over her suggestion, in a pair of tweets, that U.S. politicians back the state of Israel because of financial pressure from AIPAC (“It’s all about the Benjamins baby,” she declaimed). Was the flippant way in which she phrased her tweets a problem? Did it offend a significant chunk of liberal U.S. Jewish opinion? Did it perhaps unwittingly play into anti-Semitic tropes about rich Jews controlling the world? Yes, yes, and yes — as she herself has since admitted and “unequivocally” apologized for. But was she wrong to note the power of the pro-Israel lobby, to point a finger at AIPAC, to highlight — in her apology — “the problematic role of lobbyists in our politics, whether it be AIPAC, the NRA or the fossil fuel industry”?

No, no, and no.

Rosen, after all, wasn’t the first AIPAC official to boast about the the raw power that “America’s bipartisan pro-Israel lobby” exercises in Washington, D.C. Go back earlier, to 1992, when then-AIPAC President David Steiner was caught on tape bragging that he had “cut a deal” with the George H.W. Bush White House to provide $3 billion in U.S. aid to Israel. Steiner also claimed to be “negotiating” with the incoming Clinton administration over the appointment of pro-Israel cabinet members. AIPAC, he said, has “a dozen people in [the Clinton] campaign, in the headquarters … and they’re all going to get big jobs.”

Go back further, to 1984, when Sen. Charles Percy, a moderate Republican from Illinois, was defeated in his re-election campaign after he “incurred AIPAC’s wrath” by declining to sign onto an AIPAC-sponsored letter and daring to refer to Palestine Liberation Organization leader Yasser Arafat as more “moderate” than other Palestinian resistance figures. AIPAC contributors raised more than a million dollars to help defeat Percy. As Tom Dine, then-executive director of AIPAC, gloated in a speech shortly after the GOP senator’s defeat, “all the Jews, from coast to coast, gathered to oust Percy. And the American politicians — those who hold public positions now, and those who aspire — got the message.”

Nearly four decades later, as members of the U.S. political and media classes pile onto Omar, are the rest of us supposed to pretend that AIPAC officials never said or did any of this? And are we also expected to forget that the New York Times’s Tom Friedman, a long-standing advocate for Israel in the American media, once described the standing ovations received by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, from members of Congress, as having been “bought and paid for by the Israel lobby”? Or that Goldberg, now editor-in-chief of The Atlantic and dubbed “the most influential journalist/blogger on matters related to Israel,” called AIPAC a “leviathan among lobbies, as influential in its sphere as the National Rifle Association and the American Association of Retired Persons are in theirs”? Or that J.J. Goldberg, former editor of the Jewish weekly newspaper The Forward, said in 2002, in reference to AIPAC, “There is this image in Congress that you don’t cross these people or they take you down”?

Are we supposed to dismiss Uri Avnery, the late Israeli peace activist and one-time member of the Zionist paramilitary, the Irgun, who once remarked that if AIPAC “were to table a resolution abolishing the Ten Commandments, 80 senators and 300 congressmen would sign it at once,” as a Jew-hater? Or label Jan Harman, a former member of Congress and devoted defender of Israel, an anti-Semite for telling CNN in 2013 that her former colleagues on Capitol Hill had struggled to back Barack Obama’s Iran nuclear diplomacy to due “big parts of the pro-Israel lobby in the United States being against it, the country of Israel being against it”?

To be clear: AIPAC is not a political action committee and does not provide donations directly to candidates. However, it does act as a “force multiplier,” to quote the Jewish Telegraph Agency’s Andrew Silow-Carroll, and “its rhetorical support for a candidate is a signal to Jewish PACs and individual donors across the country to back his or her campaign.” As Friedman explained to me in an interview in 2013: “Mehdi, if you and I were running from the same district, and I have AIPAC’s stamp of approval and you don’t, I will maybe have to make three phone calls. … I’m exaggerating, but I don’t have to make many phone calls to get all the money I need to run against you. You will have to make 50,000 phone calls.” (Is Friedman an anti-Semite too? Asking for a friend.)

What makes this whole row over Omar’s remarks so utterly bizarre is that so many leading Democrats, loudly and rightly, decry the pernicious and undeniable impact of special interests, lobbyists, and donations on a whole host of issues — from the role of Big Pharma and Big Finance; to influence-peddling by Saudi Arabia; to the “grip” that the NRA has on the debate over gun control, to quote Democratic senator Richard Blumenthal. But any mention of AIPAC and lobbying in favor of Israel? “Anti-Semitism!

Do they have no shame? Take Donna Shalala, a new member of Congress from Florida’s 27th District (and a former cabinet member under Clinton).

There is no place in our country for anti-Semitic comments. I condemn them whatever the source. To suggest members of Congress are “bought off” to support Israel is offensive and wrong. https://t.co/vYBVkBOOxS

— Rep. Donna E. Shalala (@RepShalala) February 11, 2019

Yet here is the same Shalala boasting last month that she didn’t allow the NRA to “buy me during the campaign.”

NRA couldn’t buy me during the campaign and they sure can’t buy me now. I'm proud to cosponsor the Bipartisan Background Checks Act of 2019, which will help prevent the tragedy of gun violence that takes the lives of nearly 100 people a day across our country.

— Donna E. Shalala (@DonnaShalala) January 11, 2019

Got that? It’s “offensive and wrong” to suggest the pro-Israel lobby tries to buy off politicians. But it’s totally fine to suggest the pro-gun lobby does. (The irony is that AIPAC’s leading lights haven’t been shy about making their own analogy with the NRA. “I’m sure there are people out there who are for gun control, but because of the NRA don’t say anything,” Morris Amitay, former AIPAC executive director, once admitted. “If you’re a weak candidate to begin with,” he continued, and your record is “anti-Israel and you have a credible opponent, your opponent will be helped.”)

Today, the Palestinians continue to be bombed, besieged, and dispossessed by their Israeli occupiers — with the full military and financial support of the United States government. There are a variety of credible explanations for this support: Israel’s role as a “strategic asset” and “mighty aircraft carrier“; U.S. Christian evangelicals’ obsession with Israel and the end-times prophecy; the impact of arms sales and the U.S. military-industrial complex; not to mention the long-standing cultural and social ties between American Jews and Israeli Jews. But to pretend money doesn’t play a role — or that AIPAC doesn’t have a big impact on members of Congress and their staffers — is deeply disingenuous.

And so we should thank Omar, the freshman lawmaker, for having the guts to raise this contentious issue and break a long-standing taboo in the process — even if she maybe did so in a clumsy and problematic fashion.

But you don’t have to take her word for it. “When people ask me how they can help Israel,” former Israeli prime minister and uber-hawk Ariel Sharon once told an audience in the United States, “I tell them: Help AIPAC.”

https://theintercept.com/2019/02/12...izing-aipac-and-ilhan-omar-just-destroyed-it/

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
GOP's anti-Muslim display likening Rep. Omar to a terrorist rocks W. Virginia capitol

BBUgJKs.img

© Mandel Ngan Representative for Minnesota Ilhan Omar in the audience ahead of President Donald Trump's State of the
Union address at the US Capitol on Feb. 5, 2019.

Angry arguments broke out in the West Virginia statehouse on Friday after the state Republican Party allegedly set up an anti-Muslim display in the rotunda linking the 9/11 terror attacks to a freshman congresswoman from Minnesota.

One staff member was physically injured during the morning's confrontations, and another official resigned after being accused of making anti-Muslim comments.

The display featured a picture of the World Trade Center in New York City as a fireball exploded from the one of the Twin Towers, set above a picture of Democratic Rep. Ilhan Omar, who's a Muslim.

"'Never forget' - you said. . ." read a caption on the first picture. "I am the proof - you have forgotten," read the caption under the picture of Omar, who is wearing a hijab.

The display was set up as part of "WV GOP Day," which the party advertised on Facebook as a day when "Republicans Take the Rotunda."

Several Democrats objected to the display, and reportedly got into an argument with the House's sergeant at arms, Anne Lieberman, after she allegedly made an anti-Muslim remark.

Del. Mike Angelucci, D-Marion, charged Lieberman had said "all Muslims are terrorists."

He said that was "hate speech."

"Muslims are not terrorists. Christians have killed people. That doesn’t mean Christians are terrorists. I am a Christian. I am a proud Christian. I am not a terrorist," he said, according to WSAZ.

"I am furious, and I don't want to see her representing the people of this great state in the House again," Angelucci said of Lieberman, who became the state's first female sergeant at arms last year. Speaking to West Virginia Public Broadcasting, Lieberman denied she'd made the comment. By the end of the day she had submitted her resignation "effective immediately," officials said.

The outrage continued on the House floor, where Del. Mike Pushkin, a Democrat, took aim at the display.

"It's ugly, it's hateful and there's absolutely no place for it in American politics," Pushkin said, according to WVNews. "Not in the country that I love. Not in the state that I love. We all give up our time during this time of year to come up here and serve our constituents because we love this state. Well, I love everybody in the state no matter what they look like, who they pray to, who they love. I'm tired of it. It disgusts me."

Pushkin, who's Jewish, added, "I'm proud to live in a country that somebody can come into this country with absolutely nothing and wind up in the halls of Congress representing the state of Minnesota."

House Speaker Roger Hanshaw issued a statement saying his office is investigating what happened.

"As we began today’s floor session, we had a series of incidents occur in and outside of our Chamber that absolutely do not reflect the character and civility the people of this state demand of their public servants. Leadership of the House of Delegates is currently working to investigate these incidents to learn firsthand the factual basis of what occurred, and will respond with appropriate action," the statement said.

"The West Virginia House of Delegates unequivocally rejects hate in all of its forms."

The House is made up of 59 Republicans and 41 Democrats.

In later remarks on the floor, Hanshaw said an unidentified staffer had been injured during the confrontations, but gave no other details. "I bluntly struggle with what even to say," he said. "We have allowed national level politics to become a cancer on our state . . to invade our chamber in a way that makes me ashamed."

"We can do better," he added.

A spokesman for Omar did not respond to a request for comment.

Another Republican delegate, Eric Porterfield, was hit with calls to resign last month after he called LGBTQ groups "the closest thing to political terrorism in America" and "a modern day version of the Ku Klux Klan."

"Let me (be) very clear with my statement," Porterfield told NBC News then. "The LGBTQ — not homosexuals — are the modern day version of the Ku Klux Klan."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/g...w-virginia-capitol/ar-BBUgQzI?ocid=spartanntp

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
The Sign That Falsely Linked Muslim Congresswoman
To Sept. 11 That Sparked Outrage In West Virginia

March 2, 2019

On Saturday, State Republican Party Chairwoman Melody Potter said the display was not affiliated with the party in any way.

"The West Virginia Republican Party does not approve, condone, or support hate speech," she said in a statement. "One of the exhibitors at our West Virginia Republican Party Day at the Capitol displayed a sign that we did not approve, were not aware of before the day started, and we do not support." The party immediately asked the exhibitor to take the sign down, Potter said.

West Virginia State Senate President, Republican Mitch Carmichael, also denounced the sign. "We must be strong in our resolve to stand up and speak out against fear and hatred when we see it, and we absolutely condemn the kind of behavior that was on display in our own State Capitol," he said in a statement.

Others in the party pointed to the First Amendment when discussing the matter.

"While I may not agree with everything that is out there, I do agree that freedom of speech is something we have to protect," Del. Dianna Graves said.

West Virginia Democratic Party Chairwoman Belinda Biafore described the poster on Friday as "just the latest display of hate from the Republican Majority this Legislative Session."

When the House floor session began, Democrats expressed outrage over the poster. "It's ugly; it's hateful; and there's absolutely no place for it in American politics," said Del. Mike Pushkin, according to WV News.

One Democrat, Del. Michael Angelucci, said he heard Sgt. at Arms Anne Lieberman, the chamber's principal law enforcement official, call all Muslims terrorists. Lieberman disputed that accusation, yet submitted a resignation letter.

Del. Mike Caputo, the House minority whip and a Democrat, admitted to kicking open the chamber doors out of anger, an act that reportedly injured a doorkeeper. Police are investigating and he may be discipline, WV Public Radio reports.

The poster was placed directly beside a sign promoting ACT for America, a conservative grass-roots group that bills itself as "the NRA of national security." The Southern Poverty Law Center has called the organization an anti-Muslim hate group.

The group said it had nothing to do with the controversial signage.

"This was NOT an ACT for America display," it said in statement released Saturday. "While we find many of the views and actions of Congresswoman Ilhan Omar to be reprehensible, the display in the Capitol rotunda would have never been approved by our National Office."

A video posted Friday by the West Virginia Democratic Party that appears to have been taken at the exhibit shows an unidentified woman standing in front of the poster wearing a shirt with an ACT for America logo. "I am the one who put it up, yes," she says to the man taking the video. "It's a public place, and that's why I'm free to bring it," she adds. Asked whether she believed the sign is racist, she replies, "No I don't."

She can be heard saying she won't discuss the sign anymore and concludes by holding a cup and declaring, "Have a nice day, l'chaim," a Hebrew toast meaning "to life."

It was Friday afternoon when Omar responded to the poster on Twitter. "No wonder why I am on the 'Hitlist' of a domestic terrorist and 'Assassinate Ilhan Omar' is written on my local gas stations," she said.

Omar fled war in Somalia and is the first refugee elected to Congress. She faced renewed accusations of anti-Semitism this week following a conversation about Israel on Wednesday night in Washington. "I want to talk about the political influence in this country that says it is okay to push for allegiance to a foreign country," she told supporters in a cafe.

Rep. Eliot Engel, D-N.Y., the chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, said she invoked a "vile anti-Semitic slur" by questioning "the loyalty of fellow American citizens because of their political views, including support for the US-Israel relationship."

Earlier this month, Omar was criticized by both Republicans and Democrats for spreading an anti-Semitic stereotype on social media about members of the Jewish faith, money and power. She apologized "unequivocally."

Last edited:

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator

Dems struggle to turn page on Omar controversy

Cristina Marcos and Mike Lillis

BBUyOKR.img

© Greg Nash Dems struggle to turn page on Omar controversy

Democrats desperately want to turn the page on a painful week but doing so is proving to be difficult.

Freshman Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.), who has been the center of a debate on anti-Semitism and other forms of hatred that has exposed deep divisions within the new majority, on Friday signaled she's not going to stop battling on social media with her critics.

Less than 24 hours after the House adopted a resolution broadly condemning bigotry in the wake of Omar's comments about U.S.-Israel relations, she launched into a Twitter battle Friday morning with Meghan McCain over the thorny topic.

Omar did so by retweeting a message from Mehdi Hasan, a columnist for The Intercept and a host of Al Jazeera English, that was deeply critical of McCain's father, former Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), who died last year.

"Meghan's late father literally sang 'bomb bomb bomb Iran' and insisted on referring to his Vietnamese captors as 'gooks'" Hasan wrote. "He also, lest we forget, gave the world Sarah Palin. So a little less faux outrage over a former refugee-turned-freshman-representative pls."

McCain, a co-host of "The View" and the daughter of the late Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), ripped Omar for sending out the message, calling it "trash" and "beneath a sitting member of Congress."

President Trump also got into the act on Friday, seizing on Omar's remarks and the House resolution - which to the dismay of several veteran Jewish Democratic lawmakers changed from a measure condemning anti-Semitism to one that condemned many kinds of hatred - to argue that Democrats had become an "anti-Jewish" and "anti-Israel" party.

While Trump's remarks were condemned by Democrats, they pointed to how Republicans think the week has moved to their advantage.

While every Democrat voted for Thursday's resolution, the party was divided all week by its content.

Jewish Democrats openly expressed frustration that the measure initiated in direct response to Omar's invocation of the "dual loyalty" trope didn't focus solely on condemning anti-Semitism.

As angry as Jewish Democrats were, so were some progressives over what they viewed as unfair treatment of Omar.

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) began fundraising off a report that pro-Israel activists want to pursue primary challenges against her and other members of their freshman "squad," including Omar.

"Rashida, Ilhan, and Alexandria have at times dared to question our foreign policy, and the influence of money in our political system. And now, lobbying groups across the board are working to punish them for it," Ocasio-Cortez's team wrote in a fundraising email that also referenced freshman Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D-Mich.), who along with Omar is one of the first Muslim women to serve in Congress.

Caught in the middle of the battle is Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), who has the unenviable task of bringing her caucus together.

On Friday, she defended Omar for a second day in a row, arguing she is not anti-Semitic.

"I think she has a different experience in the use of words, doesn't understand that some of them are fraught with meaning," Pelosi said of the Somalian-born Omar, who came to the United States in 1995 after years in a refugee camp in Kenya.

Omar's critics in her caucus have not used the same language as Pelosi.

Rep. Eliot Engel (D-N.Y.), the chairman of the Foreign Affairs Committee, declined to share details of his private conversation with Omar, a member of his panel. But when asked if he believed Omar intended to invoke anti-Semitic undertones, Engel replied: "I have no idea what's in her heart."

Rep. Jamie Raskin (D-Md.), a Jewish lawmaker who helped draft the final version of the anti-hate resolution, said he also had "a few conversations" with Omar throughout the process. Like Engel, however, he declined to say if he left those talks convinced she doesn't harbor anti-Semitic beliefs.

"I shouldn't speak for her," he said after a long pause.

Omar late Thursday joined Tlaib and Rep. Andre Carson (D-Ind.), who also is Muslim, in lauding passage of the resolution. Their joint statement led with the news that the resolution marked "the first time we have voted on a resolution condemning anti-Muslim bigotry."

The resolution the House voted upon was heavily edited.

An initial version unveiled Thursday, hours before the vote, stated that white supremacists had targeted "traditionally persecuted peoples, including African Americans, Native Americans, and other people of color, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Sikhs, immigrants, and others." The revised measure went on to include Latinos, the LGBTQ community, Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders.

The Omar controversy overshadowed the House's passage of a sweeping election reform bill that was meant to be one of the party's first major piece of legislation since taking over the House.

Some Democrats were deeply disappointed at that result - and some lashed out at the media.

"Every tweet by a freshman from Minnesota is not newsworthy, no matter how juicy the temptation may be," said Rep. Gerry Connolly (D-Va.).

Yet there's also frustration with Omar herself, not just over her choice of words in describing Israeli affairs, but for doing so repeatedly - and airing much of it on social media.

"There are members of the caucus who are resentful that she has distracted people like you from a much more important agenda we think deserves attention," Connolly said.

"That may not have been her intention, but for god's sake don't persist in it - knowing now that that's going to happen," he continued. "[If the media] is following every tweet, for god's sake, take a break. Go on vacation; visit your mother, whatever you have to do. But stop, so we can refocus on substance.

"There's a lot of frustration about that, too."

Supporters of Omar said her colleagues shouldn't expect her to change.

Omar, Carson suggested, isn't about to alter her aggressive messaging style.

"On one end, we know that there are members who are going to be free, they're going to candid, they're going to be fearless in their approach to getting their message out," he said. "There are other folks who are going to be more measured and pragmatic, and I don't think we're in a place to condemn one methodology over the other."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...n-omar-controversy/ar-BBUyOKS?ocid=spartanntp

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
source: Washington Post

The dishonest smearing of Ilhan Omar

In what is surely the most shameful decision of her current term as speaker, Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) has decided that the time has come for the House to rebuke Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) for things she didn’t actually say, and ideas she didn’t actually express. In the process, Pelosi and other Democrats are helping propagate a series of misconceptions about anti-Semitism, Israel, and U.S. political debate.

I’m going to try to bring some clarity to this issue, understanding how difficult it can be whenever we discuss anything that touches on Israel.

To be clear, I do this as someone who was raised in an intensely Zionist family with a long history of devotion and sacrifice for Israel, but who also — like many American Jews — has become increasingly dismayed not only by developments in Israel but by how we talk about it here in the United States.

In the latest round of controversy, Omar said during a town hall, regarding U.S. policy toward Israel, “I want to talk about the political influence in this country that says it is okay for people to push for allegiance to a foreign country.” This comment was roundly condemned by members of Congress and many others for being anti-Semitic. Rep. Eliot L. Engel (D-N.Y.) called her statement “a vile anti-Semitic slur” and accused her of questioning "the loyalty of fellow American citizens.”

Pelosi then announced that the House would vote on a resolution which, while not mentioning Omar by name, is clearly meant as a condemnation of her. It contains multiple “whereas” statements about the danger of accusing Jews of “dual loyalty.”

So let’s talk about this idea of “dual loyalty,” and how it does and doesn’t relate to Omar’s comments. For many years, Jews were routinely accused of having dual loyalty, to both the United States and Israel, as a way of questioning whether they were truly American and could be trusted to do things such as serve in sensitive national security positions.

That charge was anti-Semitic, because it was used to allege that every Jew was suspect, no matter what they thought about Israel, and that they could not be fully American because they were assumed to have too much affection for another country. It wasn’t about the particulars of U.S. policy or what Jews at the time were advocating; it was about who they (allegedly) were, their identity.

Now, back to Omar. Here’s the truth: The whole purpose of the Democrats’ resolution is to enforce dual loyalty not among Jews, but among members of Congress, to make sure that criticism of Israel is punished in the most visible way possible. This, of course, includes Omar. As it happens, this punishment of criticism of Israel is exactly what the freshman congresswoman was complaining about, and has on multiple occasions. The fact that no one seems to acknowledge that this is her complaint shows how spectacularly disingenuous Omar’s critics are being.

You may have noticed that almost no one uses “dual loyalty” as a way of questioning whether Jews are loyal to the United States anymore. Why has it almost disappeared as an anti-Semitic slur? Because, over the last three decades, support for Israel has become increasingly associated with conservative evangelicals and the Republican Party.

Not coincidentally, this happened at the same time as the American Israel Public Affairs Committee, or AIPAC, the most prominent and influential pro-Israel lobby, went from supporting Israel generally to being the lobby in the United States for the Likud, Israel’s main right-wing party. While AIPAC works hard to keep Democrats in line, its greatest allies are in the GOP, where support for Israel and a rejection of any meaningful rights for Palestinians have become a central component of party ideology. When the most prominent advocates for Israel are people such as Mike Huckabee and Sarah Palin, “dual loyalty” loses any meaning as a slur against Jews.

The idea that taking issue with support of Israel means one is necessarily criticizing Jews as Jews ignores the last few decades of political developments around the United States’ relationship with Israel. “Supporters of Israel” hasn’t been a synonym for “Jews” since the 1980s. I have to repeat this: In the United States today, a “supporter of Israel” is much more likely to be an evangelical Christian Republican than a Jew.

Ilhan Omar certainly didn’t say that Jews have dual loyalty. For instance, in one of the tweets that got people so worked up, Omar said, “I should not be expected to have allegiance/pledge support to a foreign country in order to serve my country in Congress or serve on committee.” You’ll notice she didn’t say or even imply anything at all about Jews. She said that she was being asked to support Israel in order to have the privilege of serving on the House Foreign Affairs Committee, which was true. Many on the right have called for her to be removed from that committee (see here, or here, or here, or here). Her argument, to repeat, isn’t about how Jews feel about Israel, it’s about what is being demanded of her.

And here’s the ultimate irony: Dual loyalty is precisely what AIPAC demands, and what it gets. Again, it makes this demand not of Jews, but of every member of Congress, and even of politicians at the state level whom you wouldn’t think would be conducting foreign policy. And it is working.

Take, for instance, the wave of state laws passed in recent years in opposition to the Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions (BDS) movement, in which a state would refuse to do business with anyone who supports BDS. In some cases, those laws require that contractors sign a document promising not to support any boycott of Israel. It’s illustrated by the case of a speech pathologist in Texas who sued over a requirement that she sign such a pledge to work in a public school district. That is literally a demand that she pledge her loyalty to Israel. She’s not Jewish, and the officials who demanded that she do so aren’t either; the Texas Republican Party is not exactly an organization dominated by Jews. When Gov. Greg Abbott (R) — also not a Jew — proclaims that “Anti-Israel policies are anti-Texas policies,” he’s expressing his dual loyalty.

Yet, when Omar says she shouldn’t have to do the same, everyone jumps up to accuse her of anti-Semitism, on the bogus grounds that 1) //she is secretly referring to Jews and not to what she is being asked to do; and 2) it’s some kind of anti-Semitic smear to even raise the issue of people being asked to promise their allegiance to Israel, when the truth is that members of Congress are asked to do just that.

When this episode is over, Omar and everyone else will have learned a lesson. You’d better not step out of line on Israel. You’d better not question AIPAC. You’d better not criticize members of Congress for the craven way they deal with this issue. You’d better not talk about how policy toward Israel is made and maintained. Because if you do, this is what you’re going to get.

MCP

International
International Member
Republicans and Democrats Say Their Criticism of Ilhan Omar Is About Anti-Semitism. They’re Gaslighting You.

AP_19010656210633-ilhan-omar-1551798666.jpg

https://theintercept.com/2019/03/05...s-about-anti-semitism-theyre-gaslighting-you/

So let me get this straight: The president of the United States has called neo-Nazis “very fine people”; retweeted neo-Nazis; told an audience of Jewish-Americans that Israel is “your country”; and indulged in viciously anti-Semitic conspiracy theories. While running for office, he tweeted an image of Hillary Clinton inside a Star of David, next to a pile of cash; told an audience of Jewish donors, “You want to control your politicians, that’s fine”; and put out a campaign ad that attacked three rich and powerful Jewish figures. While a private citizen, he insisted only “short guys that wear yarmulkes” should count his money and kept a book of Adolf Hitler’s speeches on his bedside table.

He has never apologized for any of this. Nor has he been censured by Congress.

Since coming to office, he has hired, among others, Sebastian Gorka — who made the Nazi-linked Hungarian group Vitézi Rend “proud” when he wore its medal to an inauguration ball — and Steve Bannon, who didn’t want his daughters attending a particular school in Los Angeles because of “the number of Jews.”

Neither of them has apologized. Nor have they been censured by Congress.

In the Senate, Ted Cruz has denounced “New York values” while on the campaign trail, and Sen. Chuck Grassley has suggested that Jewish philanthropist George Soros paid the protesters who confronted then-Sen. Jeff Flake in an elevator with their stories of sexual assault last October.

Neither of them has apologized. Nor have they been censured by Congress.

In the House, Republican members have referred to themselves as “David Duke without the baggage,” accused Soros of turning on his “fellow Jews” and taking “the property that they owned,” claimed that Soros funded the far-right rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, in 2017, sat on panels with white nationalists, invited a Holocaust denier to the State of the Union, and tweeted that three Jewish billionaires — Soros, Michael Bloomberg, and Tom Steyer — were trying to “buy” the midterms. On Sunday, Rep. Jim Jordan tweeted that Steyer — whose name he spelled as “$teyer” and whose father is Jewish — was trying to influence Rep. Jerry Nadler (who is Jewish) to investigate Donald Trump.

C’mon @RepJerryNadler—at least pretend to be serious about fact finding.

Nadler feeling the heat big time. Jumps to Tom $teyer’s conclusion—impeaching our President—before first document request.

What a Kangaroo court. https://t.co/BpNIzdON1e

— Rep. Jim Jordan (@Jim_Jordan) March 3, 2019

None of these Republicans have ever apologized. Nor have they been censured by Congress.

Trump and the Republicans’ favorite cable channels, Fox News and Fox Business Network, have run segments in which guests have referred to the State Department as “Soros-occupied” and accused Soros of working with the Nazis, while top-rated Fox host Sean Hannity used to regularly interview a neo-Nazi on his radio show. Their favorite news website, Breitbart, has referred to columnist Bill Kristol as a “renegade Jew” and to columnist Anne Applebaum as a “Polish, Jewish, American elitist.” Their favorite talk radio host Rush Limbaugh has spoken of a “Jewish lobby” and was accused of “borderline” anti-Semitism by the Anti-Defamation League for his comments about Jewish bankers.

Last October, a far-right conspiracy theorist — who, like the president and other prominent Republicans, blamed globalists” like Soros for allowing immigrant “invaders” to come into the United States — shot and killed 11 Jewish worshippers in the Tree of Life synagogue in Pittsburgh. To quote Adam Serwer of The Atlantic: “The apparent spark for the worst anti-Semitic massacre in American history was a racist hoax inflamed by a U.S. president seeking to help his party win a midterm election.”

On Wednesday, however, the House Democratic leadership will try and formally censure Rep. Ilhan Omar — a black Somali-American Muslim woman who came to the United States as a refugee, and who, in recent days, has been compared to the 9/11 terrorists by Republicans in West Virginia and described as “filth” by an adviser to the president — for saying that she wanted “to talk about the political influence in this country that says it is OK for people to push for allegiance to a foreign country.” Her fellow congressional Democrats have said little or nothing about the aforementioned and shameful Republican record of anti-Semitism, but many have joined the pile-on against Omar. One of them — Rep. Juan Vargas — went out of his way to insist, rather revealingly, that “questioning support for the U.S.-Israel relationship is unacceptable.”

So my simple point is this: Whether or not you agree with Omar’s remarks, whether or not you were personally offended, anyone who tells you that these nonstop, bipartisan political attacks on her are about fighting anti-Semitism is gaslighting you.

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
source: Times of Israel

At AIPAC, Democratic majority leader aims fire at Ilhan Omar

Steny Hoyer says comment by freshman lawmaker on dual loyalty is not representative of Democrats when it comes to Israel

Screen-Shot-2019-03-25-at-5.16.55-AM-e1553483886980-640x400.png

Steny Hoyer speaks at the AIPAC policy conference, March 24, 2019 (AIPAC screenshot)

WASHINGTON (JTA) — Rep. Steny Hoyer, D-Md., the majority leader in the US House of Representatives, told AIPAC on Sunday that Rep. Ilhan Omar, D-Minn., was not representative of the Democrats when it comes to Israel.

“When someone accuses American supporters of dual loyalty I say accuse me,” Hoyer said to cheers Sunday at the annual conference of the American Israel Public Affairs Committee, saying the “overwhelming majority” in Congress continues to support Israel. “Let’s have debates on policy instead of impugning the loyalty of Israel’s supporters.”

Omar last month started a debate that has split the party when she said she felt pressure to pledge “allegiance” to Israel. She previously said that AIPAC purchased support in Congress through campaign donations. (AIPAC does not support candidates, although its activists are expected to.)

Hoyer also appeared to criticize Rep. Rashida Tlaib, D-Mich., a Palestinian American who backs ending assistance to Israel and who plans to lead a lawmakers’ tour of the West Bank to rival the one Hoyer leads to Israel every year with the assistance of an affiliate of AIPAC, as well as Rep. Alexandria Ocasio Cortez, D-N.Y., who has defended Tlaib and Omar.

AP_19037103967551-e1549851050978-640x400.jpg
Rep. Ilhan Omar, D-Minn., left, and Rep. Rashida Tlaib, D-Mich., right, listen as President Donald Trump delivers his State of the Union address to a joint session of Congress on Capitol Hill in Washington, Tuesday, Feb. 5, 2019. (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite)

“This August I will lead what I expect to be the largest delegation ever” to Israel, Hoyer said. “There are 62 freshman Democrats,” he said, and cocked his ear. “You hear me? 62 — not three.”

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator

Why conservative attacks on an out-of-context Ilhan Omar quote are dangerous

Ryan Cooper

omar_gop.jpg.webp

Illustrated | AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite, olegagafonov/iStock, javarman3/iStock
April 11, 2019

On March 23, Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) gave a speech about her views on Islam, religious civil rights, and the threat posed by anti-Muslim bigotry following the Christchurch massacre. More than two weeks later (following the duplicitous Andrew Breitbart script to the letter), conservatives have cherry-picked four words from her speech and twisted them wildly out of context to suggest Omar was downplaying the 9/11 attacks.

On Thursday, the New York Post blasted the quote on its front page, together with a photo of 9/11 and a screaming headline: "Here's your something: 2,977 people dead from terrorism." The none-too-subtle implication is that Omar herself is somehow responsible for 9/11, because she is a Muslim. It's absolutely vile bigotry, which could very possibly incite violence against Muslims.

So here are the details from Omar's speech (which is quite good and worth watching in full, by the way). After discussing some of the many ways rampant anti-Muslim prejudice is expressed in American society, she says the following:

Here's the truth: far too long we have lived with the discomfort of being a second-class citizen. And frankly I'm tired of it, and every single Muslim in this country should be tired of it. CAIR was founded after 9/11, because they recognized that some people did something and then all of us were starting to lose access to our civil liberties. [Ilhan Omar]​

That's the source of the line conservatives are using to whip up a storm of bigotry. Rep. Dan Crenshaw (R-Texas) led the charge:

• @DanCrenshawT\

• First Member of Congress to ever describe terrorists who killed thousands of Americans on 9/11 as “some people who did something”.

On Fox and Friends, Brian Kilmeade said: "You have to wonder if she is an American first." Further down the right-wing media food chain, others made the sentiments a lot more plain. While discussing Omar on Instagram, far-right activist Laura Loomer accused her of treason and said, "Islam is a cancer on humanity and Muslims should not be allowed to seek positions of political office in this country." With that she's echoing the teachings of conservative commentator Ben Shapiro, who has used fake statistics to argue that the majority of the world's Muslims — some 800 million people, by his count — are dangerous radicals. (Also, in early March a West Virginia GOP Day event featured a poster directly linking Omar to 9/11.)

President Trump has not yet commented on this controversy, but he has repeatedly attacked Omar for "assaulting Jews" (for calling his adviser Stephen Miller a "white nationalist") and demanded she resign for criticizing Israel.

In context, it is absolutely beyond question that Omar was not downplaying 9/11, she was simply pointing out the injustice of all 1.8 billion Muslims worldwide being blamed for a small number of people committing a horrible atrocity. She's not even avoiding mentioning that the attackers were Muslim — on the contrary, it is taken for granted in the logic of her entire speech that everyone she is talking about is Muslim. No less than George W. Bush made this point in a speech before Congress after 9/11:

I also want to speak tonight directly to Muslims throughout the world. We respect your faith. It's practiced freely by many millions of Americans, and by millions more in countries that America counts as friends. Its teachings are good and peaceful, and those who commit evil in the name of Allah blaspheme the name of Allah. The terrorists are traitors to their own faith, trying in effect to hijack Islam itself. The enemy of America is not our many Muslim friends. It is not our many Arab friends. [George W. Bush]​

Bush would, of course, go on to oversee numerous atrocities against Muslims. But rhetorically at least, he agreed with Omar's basic sentiment.

The only thing you could quibble with is Omar saying that CAIR — a blandly inoffensive Muslim rights organization akin to the NAACP, which conservatives nevertheless constantly accuse of being affiliated with terrorism or itself terrorist — was founded after 9/11, when in fact it was founded in 1994. (Though it did dramatically step up its advocacy after 9/11, for obvious reasons.)

What you can't quibble with is that right-wing terrorists are getting the subtext of these conservative messages loud and clear. The Quebec City mosque shooter was a big fan of Trump, Tucker Carlson, Laura Ingraham, and Ben Shapiro. The Christchurch mosque shooter praised Trump as a "symbol of white identity."

And just this weekbefore this latest ginned-up frenzy of hatred — a New York man was arrested and charged with threatening to assassinate Omar herself. According to the charging document, he told a staffer: "Do you work for the Muslim Brotherhood? Why are you working for her, she's a fucking terrorist. I'll put a bullet in her fucking skull." The FBI interviewer reported that he "stated he was a patriot, that he loves the president, and that he hates radical Muslims in our government."

After coverage like Thursday's Post cover, what else would we expect?

https://theweek.com/articles/834577...s-outofcontext-ilhan-omar-quote-are-dangerous

Last edited:

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator

Pelosi Asks for Extra Security for Ilhan Omar After Trump Tweet

Bloomberg
by Ros Krasny

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Sunday she’d asked the U.S. Capitol Police to provide more protection for Representative Ilhan Omar after President Donald Trump tweeted a video of the lawmaker intercut with images of the Sept. 11 terror attacks on the U.S.

BBVVLoq.img

© Bloomberg House Minority Leader Pelosi Holds News Conference With Members-Elect On H.R. 1

“The President’s words weigh a ton, and his hateful and inflammatory rhetoric creates real danger,” Pelosi said in a statement.

Pelosi demanded that Trump take down the post, which had been pinned at the top of his Twitter feed since Friday. By mid-afternoon the message had been removed, although at least one other anti-Omar retweet remained in Trump’s feed. And by then, the two-day-old video had been retweeted more than 86,000 times.

Earlier, White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders said on ABC’s “This Week” that Trump bears no “ill will” toward the Minnesota Democrat, who’s been subject to at least one recent death threat.

Pelosi said in her statement that “following the President’s tweet, I spoke with the Sergeant-at-Arms to ensure that Capitol Police are conducting a security assessment to safeguard Congresswoman Omar, her family and her staff.”

Friday’s tweet wasn’t the first attack by Trump on Omar, one of the first Muslim women elected to Congress. But it dialed up the temperature after the president a week ago mocked her in a speech in Las Vegas to a Jewish Republican group.

In the latest incident, Trump posted a video to his 60 million Twitter followers that used a short snippet of an Omar speech followed by images of the burning Twin Towers in New York in 2001.

Asked on “Fox News Sunday” whether Trump is worried he was inciting violence against Muslims or Omar, 37, a Somali-American who immigrated with her family to the U.S. as a teenager after living in a Kenyan refugee camp, Sanders said no. Instead, she blamed Democrats for refusing “to call” Omar for what she termed anti-Semitic comments.

Not Ashamed
“Nothing could be further from the truth. The president is not trying to incite violence against anybody. He’s actually speaking out against it,” Sanders said on Fox.

On April 5, a western New York man who told FBI agents that he “loves the President, and that he hates radical Muslims in our government,” was arrested for threatening to murder Omar in a phone call to her office. Trump’s comment to the Republican Jewish Coalition came a day later.

Omar sent a string of tweets on Saturday after Trump’s Sept. 11 video, but she didn’t address the president directly. In one she said that “no one person -– no matter how corrupt, inept, or vicious -– can threaten my unwavering love for America.”

Representative Jerrold Nadler, Democrat of New York, said Sunday that the snippet of Omar’s speech used by Trump came from extended remarks about discrimination against Muslim Americans after the Sept. 11 attacks.

“She just said that, after that happened, it was used as an excuse for lots of discrimination and for withdrawal of civil liberties,” Nadler, whose Congressional district includes Lower Manhattan, site of the World Trade Center towers destroyed in 2001, said on CNN’s “State of the Union.”

To contact the reporter on this story: Ros Krasny in Washington at rkrasny1@bloomberg.net

To contact the editors responsible for this story: James Ludden at jludden@bloomberg.net, Mark Niquette, Tony Czuczka

For more articles like this, please visit us at bloomberg.com

©2019 Bloomberg L.P.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...-after-trump-tweet/ar-BBVVJg7?ocid=spartanntp

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
The Wire

Rep. Ilhan Omar’s 9/11 Comments in Context

TheWire
By Robert Farley
April 16, 2019

The controversy over Rep. Ilhan Omar’s reference to the 9/11 terrorist attacks continued to boil on the political talk shows on Sunday.

White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders claimed that Omar had spoken “dismissively” about the 9/11 attacks, while Democratic Rep. Jerrold Nadler said her comments were being misconstrued. Nadler said Omar mentioned 9/11 “only in passing” while talking about “discrimination against Muslim Americans.”

The comments made by Omar, one of the first two Muslim women elected to Congress, have been widely dissected. We thought it would be helpful to our readers to provide the context for Omar’s comments, which were made during a 20-minute speech she delivered at an annual Council on American-Islamic Relations event in California on March 23.

“Many people expect, expect our community to feel like it needs to hide every time something happens,” Omar said, referring to the American Muslim community. “But repeatedly we have shown them that we are not to be bullied. We are not to be threatened. We are not to be terrorized. We are strong and resilient, and we will always show up to be ourselves because we know we have a right to a dignified existence and a dignified life.”

Omar’s speech came a week after a gunman opened fire at two mosques in New Zealand on March 15, killing at least 50 people.

Omar said many Muslims feared such a tragedy was coming, because they have heard threats at their mosques and in their schools or have witnessed acts of violence targeting Muslims. And she said, “Many of us know that this is not a one-off incident.”

Omar said discrimination against Muslims has been exacerbated by President Donald Trump, who once said, “I think Islam hates us.” She went on to say that the president “thinks it is OK, it is OK to speak about a faith and a whole community in a way that is dehumanizing, vilifying, and doesn’t understand — or at least makes us want to think that he doesn’t understand — the consequences that his words might have.”

Omar said that despite trying to be good neighbors, Muslim Americans are often made to feel like second-class citizens.

“Muslims for a really long time in this country have been told that there is a privilege, that there is a privilege that we are given and it might be taken away,” Omar said. “We are told that we should be appropriate. We should go to school, get an education, raise our children, and not bother anyone, not make any kind of noise. Don’t make anyone uncomfortable. Be a good Muslim. But no matter how much we have tried to be the best neighbor, people have always worked on finding a way to not allow for every single civil liberty to be extended to us.”

“It doesn’t matter how good you are,” Omar said. “If you one day find yourself in a school where other religions are talked about, but when Islam is mentioned, we are only talking about terrorists. And if you say something, you are sent to the principal’s office. So to me, I say, raise hell. Make people uncomfortable. Because here’s the truth, here’s the truth, far too long we have lived with the discomfort of being a second-class citizen. And frankly, I’m tired of it. And every single Muslim in this country should be tired of it.”

That was immediately followed by the sentence with the phrase that is the subject of the recent controversy.

“CAIR was founded after 9/11 because they recognized that some people did something and that all of us were starting to lose access to our civil liberties. So you can’t just say that today someone is looking at me strange, that I am going to try to make myself look pleasant. You have to say this person is looking at me strange, I am not comfortable with it. I am going to talk to them and ask them why. Because that is a right you have.”

Some seized on Omar’s use of the phrasesome people did something” to refer to the terrorists and the 9/11 attacks, and suggested she was trivializing the attacks.

Trump joined those critical of her comments with an April 12 tweet that said, “WE WILL NEVER FORGET!” His tweet included a video that starts with Omar’s clipped comment — “CAIR was founded after 9/11 because they recognized that some people did something” — followed by gruesome scenes of the 9/11 attacks. The 43-second video, which has been viewed more than 10 million times, repeats her phrase “some people did something” several times interspersed with footage of the attack and wreckage.

Omar said that since the president’s tweet, “I have experienced an increase in direct threats on my life — many directly referencing or replying to the president’s video.”

On “Fox News Sunday” on April 14, host Chris Wallace asked White House Press Secretary Sanders if Trump worried “at all about inciting violence against Muslims in general or Ilhan Omar in specific.”

Sanders said the president “is not trying to incite violence against anybody.” She added, “That [9/11] was one of the most horrific moments in American history and for her to talk about it in such a dismissive way is frankly disgusting and abhorrent, and I’m glad the president is calling her out and holding her accountable for it.”

We could not find that Omar has commented directly on the accusation that her words trivialized the attack, but she retweeted several defenders who said her comments were being manipulated and used out of context. In one tweet, Mehdi Hasan, a columnist at the Intercept, wrote, “She didn’t trivialize 9/11, she pointed out that Islamoohobes like yourself use 9/11 to smear all Muslims.” In another, Rep. Ayanna Pressley wrote that Omar’s “full comments clearly speak to post 9/11 #Islamophobia” and that “Manipulating her remarks is defaming & dangerous for her & her family.” And Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez noted that Omar is a cosponsor of H.R. 1327, a bill that seeks to fully fund the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund.

On CNN’s “State of the Union” on April 14, host Jake Tapper asked Rep. Nadler if he took “any issue with the way Congresswoman Omar characterized 9/11.”

“No, I did not,” Nadler said. “She characterized it only in passing. She was talking about discrimination against Muslim Americans. And she just said that, after that happened, it was used as an excuse for lots of discrimination and for withdrawal of civil liberties.”

In the sentence in question, Omar pushes her hand away from her when she mentions “some people” — presumably to emphasize that it was a few Muslims who had “done something” — and she then twirled her fingers in a circle when referring to “all of us” losing “access to our civil liberties” as a result.

Again, we will leave it up to readers to determine for themselves the appropriateness of her words.

We should also note that Omar was wrong when she said CAIR was founded after 9/11. As its website notes, CAIR was established in 1994 “to promote a positive image of Islam and Muslims in America” and to “empower the American Muslim community and encourage their participation in political and social activism.”

https://www.factcheck.org/2019/04/rep-ilhan-omars-9-11-comments-in-context/

MCP

International
International Member
DeconstructedLive-4250-edit-1571885531-e1571885590623.jpg

Ilhan Omar Explains Why She Endorsed Bernie Sanders — and Why She Blames Mark Zuckerberg for Enabling Threats Against Her

A little over a year ago, the last time then-congressional candidate Ilhan Omar appeared as a guest on The Intercept’s Deconstructed podcast with Mehdi Hasan, she was skeptical that Sen. Bernie Sanders should make a second run for president, instead identifying more closely with Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren.

Asked last year if she thought Sanders should run for president, Omar said, “I actually believe that ship might have sailed.” She would, however, have been excited about a Warren candidacy, she said, explaining that she’d “always thought of [herself] as part of the Warren wing of the party.”
But Omar’s views have evolved over the past 12 months. She endorsed the independent senator from Vermont last week, and she explained her decision Wednesday night during a live taping of Deconstructed at George Washington University in Washington, D.C.

“Sometimes you have to be reminded about the vision you truly believe in, and where your core values lie,” Omar said. “And for me, I know that there are people that have to switch some things around, and there are people that are just easy to believe in. And I was reminded that Bernie is one of the people.”

Asked whether she meant that Warren had switched things around, Omar said, “For me.”

Most Democrats, she said, belong to the “Warren wing” of the party. “I mean it’s the one thing that everybody accuses us of. We think we’re the smartest in the room. We are very policy-oriented. We care about the details. And there is that aspect of Warren that is exciting. She has a plan for everything,” Omar said. “But there is, I think, an expansion of what universal values are, and how we should be thinking about what kind of revolutionary ideas this country needs in order for these structural changes that Warren talks about to be implemented. And that person who will carry that out is Bernie.”

Later, in response to an audience question, Omar said that some of her Republican colleagues in the House of Representatives should have faced disciplinary action, or possibly arrest, for their disruption of a hearing related to the impeachment inquiry into President Donald Trump. “It is obnoxious to me that none of them were arrested or are going to find themselves in trouble for the security breach that they had,” she said, referring to a Wednesday afternoon incident when more than 20 House Republicans stormed a secure, restricted room in the House basement where Democrats were set to hear testimony from Deputy Assistant Defense Secretary Laura Taylor, a Pentagon official overseeing Ukraine. The congressmen, led by Florida Republican Rep. Matt Gaetz, bombarded the Sensitive Compartmented Information Facility, or SCIF. They claimed they were protesting the fact that Republicans are being pushed out of the impeachment process, but in reality, 12 of them sit on committees involved in the ongoing inquiry, meaning they were allowed to attend the depositions held in the SCIF this week.

Omar also blasted Trump, who had dinner with several of the members on Tuesday night, for his involvement in disrupting the impeachment inquiry. “He had dinner with them last night and chastised them about how they’d didn’t have his back. And you’ve had these grown men who are sworn to uphold the Constitution barge in, obstructing a process that is mandated by our Constitution,” she said.

Since she was elected to Congress last November, Omar has been singled out for attacks by conservatives ranging from TV pundits to the president of the United States. She has received credible death threats and faces continuous online harassment. On Wednesday night, she said both the president and Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg, whose platform has been scrutinized for enabling hate speech and threats of violence to proliferate, were partially responsible.

“At the end of the day, it’s also a very serious issue, in the sense that people have been arrested who are trying to kill you. Just this week, North Dakota state’s Republican senator put out a fake image of you at [an] Al Qaeda training camp,” Hasan said. “And you pointed out in a tweet in response, you said that this is stirring up hate and violence. You said Facebook are not doing anything about this.”

Did Omar think that Trump and Zuckerberg had helped people put a target on Omar’s back, Hasan asked. “Yes and yes,” she said.

“We have done everything that we can to engage them in a conversation about how they’re putting my life in danger and the lives of people who share my identities,” Omar said. “Right, when they describe me as a terrorist, every single Somali girl or Muslim girl that’s walking down the street that resembles me, her life is also in danger.”

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
LOL! Centrists and Conservadems are happy to return to the George Bush/Ronald Reagan America.

EIZDb6lX0AEJpWX

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
News
Islamophobic Trump Supporter Pleads Guilty to Threatening to Kill Rep. Ilhan Omar

Monique Judge

Today 11:07AM
https://www.theroot.com/tag/rep-ilhan-omar

Illustration for article titled Islamophobic Trump Supporter Pleads Guilty to Threatening to Kill Rep. Ilhan Omar

Photo: Scott Heins (Getty Images)

A man who threatened to assault and kill Minnesota Democrat Rep. Ilhan Omar
pleaded guilty in court Monday, according to the United States Department of Justice.

In a statement released by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Western District of New York, the DOJ said 55-year-old Patrick W. Carlineo Jr., of Addison, N.Y., pleaded guilty to threatening to assault and murder a United States official and being a felon in possession of firearms before Chief U.S. District Judge Frank Geraci. Carlineo faces the possibility of a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison, a fine of $250,000, or both.

The charges stem from a call Carlineo made on March 21, 2019, at 12:20 p.m. to Omar’s office in Washington, D.C. During the call, he allegedly said to a member of Omar’s staff “Do you work for the Muslim Brotherhood? Why are you working for her, she’s a (expletive) terrorist. Somebody ought to put a bullet in her skull. Back in the day, our forefathers would have put a bullet in her (expletive).”

The staff member reported that Carlineo specifically said: “I’ll put a bullet in her (expletive) skull.”

From the DOJ:

Carlineo made the threatening call to retaliate against Congresswoman Omar based on her performance of her official duties. Because he hates individuals he views as radical Muslims being in the United States government, he believed that Congresswoman Omar supports Hamas and the Muslim Brotherhood and that Congresswoman Omar’s election to the United States Congress was illegitimate.
After receiving the call, the threat was referred to the United States Capitol Police, Threat Assessment Section, who began an investigation in coordination with the FBI.

In addition, on April 5, 2019, the defendant—a previously convicted felon—possessed a load .45 caliber handgun, three rifles, two shotguns, and hundreds of rounds of ammunition at his residence in Addison, NY. In 1998, the defendant was convicted of Criminal Mischief in the Second Degree in Steuben County Court. In view of that conviction defendant was legally prohibited from possessing a firearm.
The Washington Post reports that Carlineo was interviewed at his home a week following the phone call after an investigation was conducted by the U.S. Capitol Police’s Threat Assessment Section and the FBI.

At the time, he told investigators that “if our forefathers were still alive, they’d put a bullet in her head,” and identified himself as a “President Trump-loving patriot who ‘hates radical Muslims’ in the government,” according to the Post.

Due to his conviction for criminal mischief in 1998, Carlineo was barred from owning any firearms.

U.S. Attorney James P. Kennedy Jr. said in the DOJ statement, “This prosecution highlights the fact that the rights secured in our Constitution carry with them certain responsibilities. The First Amendment right to freedom of speech carries with it the responsibility that individuals not make threats to harm lawmakers simply because they may disagree with them. The Second Amendment right to bear arms carries with it the responsibility that individuals who desire to possess firearms not commit felony crimes. This Office remains vigilant in upholding the rule of law and reinforcing the notion that—above all else—our Nation’s founders viewed self-governance as the responsibility that each citizen has to control and govern their own behavior.”

Carlineo will be sentenced on Feb. 14, 2020.

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Rep. Ilhan Omar says her father died from coronavirus complications

1592392087364.png
Rep. Ilhan Omar announced late Monday night that her father died from coronavirus complications.

CNN
By Chandelis Duster
June 16, 2020

Washington (CNN) -- Rep. Ilhan Omar announced late Monday night that her father died from coronavirus complications.

Surely we belong to God and to Him shall we return," Omar wrote in a statement. "It is with tremendous sadness and pain that I share that my father, Nur Omar Mohamed, passed away today due to complications from COVID-19."

The Minnesota Democrat continued, "No words can describe what he meant to me and all who knew him. My family and I ask for your respect and privacy during this time."

She also announced his death in a Twitter post and shared a photo of them standing next to each other.

On the eve of her swearing-in ceremony as the first-ever Somali-American member of Congress in 2019, Omar shared a photo of her and her father on social media, smiling as they walked through Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport in Virginia.

The next day, while standing next to her father in a congressional office building, Omar told CNN that their arrival at the airport was a "very emotional moment."

"As we exited our planes, we realized that him and I had not returned (to) that same airport since the day we first landed here as refugees," she said then.

"It's a very -- really overwhelming and emotional time for us," Omar added. "I don't think -- as my dad said, he had high hopes for us about the opportunities we would have when we came to this country. But I don't think he imagined that some day his baby would be going to Congress just 20 years after we arrived here."

Her father told CNN that "it was amazing" to see his daughter elected to Congress.

At least two lawmakers' family members have died from coronavirus. California Rep. Maxine Waters said last month that her sister, Velma Moody, died from coronavirus. Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren said in April her eldest brother, Donald Reed Herring, also died from coronavirus.
CNN's Sunlen Serfaty and Devan Cole contributed to this report.

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Omar fends off primary challenge in Minnesota

The Hill
BY MAX GREENWOOD
08/11/2020

Rep. Ilhan Omar (D) fended off a primary challenge from Antone Melton-Meaux in Minnesota’s 5th Congressional District on Tuesday, making her the latest member of the so-called squad to win renomination.

The Associated Press called the race for Omar, who garnered 57 percent of the vote to Melton-Meaux’s 39 percent. Omar will face Lacy Johnson in November after he easily won the GOP primary Tuesday.

Omar wasn’t the only member of the squad — a group of four progressive women of color in Congress — to overcome a primary challenge this year. Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) and Rashida Tlaib (D-Mich.) also beat out Democratic rivals this summer.

But Omar faced perhaps the toughest challenge of any of them. Melton-Meaux locked down several notable endorsements and proved to be a prolific fundraiser capable of blanketing the airwaves with ads. In the second quarter of the year, he pulled in $3.2 million to Omar’s $470,000.

Melton-Meaux’s fundraising success forced Omar to go on the offensive in the final stretch of the race. She unleashed an attack accusing Melton-Meaux, a lawyer, of working for “one of the worst union-busting law firms in the country.”

Ocasio-Cortez, meanwhile, sent out mailers in the race alleging that Omar’s challenger was “being propped up by Republican super PACs and GOP megadonors who are threatened by our Squad’s collective power.”

Melton-Meaux carried out his share of attacks as well. He repeatedly went after the first-term lawmaker for missing votes in the House and sought to cast her as being more concerned about her national political ambitions than representing her constituents in Minnesota’s 5th District, which encompasses Minneapolis and some of its suburbs.

Ultimately, Omar’s near-universal name ID in her district, combined with Melton-Meaux’s relatively late traction in the race, helped the Democratic incumbent win her primary. Minnesota’s 5th District is considered safe for Democrats, and Omar is widely expected to hold on to her seat in November.

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Omar fends off primary challenge in Minnesota

The Hill
BY MAX GREENWOOD
08/11/2020

Rep. Ilhan Omar (D) fended off a primary challenge from Antone Melton-Meaux in Minnesota’s 5th Congressional District on Tuesday, making her the latest member of the so-called squad to win renomination.

The Associated Press called the race for Omar, who garnered 57 percent of the vote to Melton-Meaux’s 39 percent. Omar will face Lacy Johnson in November after he easily won the GOP primary Tuesday.

Omar wasn’t the only member of the squad — a group of four progressive women of color in Congress — to overcome a primary challenge this year. Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) and Rashida Tlaib (D-Mich.) also beat out Democratic rivals this summer.

But Omar faced perhaps the toughest challenge of any of them. Melton-Meaux locked down several notable endorsements and proved to be a prolific fundraiser capable of blanketing the airwaves with ads. In the second quarter of the year, he pulled in $3.2 million to Omar’s $470,000.

Melton-Meaux’s fundraising success forced Omar to go on the offensive in the final stretch of the race. She unleashed an attack accusing Melton-Meaux, a lawyer, of working for “one of the worst union-busting law firms in the country.”

Ocasio-Cortez, meanwhile, sent out mailers in the race alleging that Omar’s challenger was “being propped up by Republican super PACs and GOP megadonors who are threatened by our Squad’s collective power.”

Melton-Meaux carried out his share of attacks as well. He repeatedly went after the first-term lawmaker for missing votes in the House and sought to cast her as being more concerned about her national political ambitions than representing her constituents in Minnesota’s 5th District, which encompasses Minneapolis and some of its suburbs.

Ultimately, Omar’s near-universal name ID in her district, combined with Melton-Meaux’s relatively late traction in the race, helped the Democratic incumbent win her primary. Minnesota’s 5th District is considered safe for Democrats, and Omar is widely expected to hold on to her seat in November.

Fends off? LOL!

Gets outspent 7:1 by her opponent (and all the outside groups trying to knock her off)...

Wins by 20 points on election night.

MCP

International
International Member
A PRO-ISRAELI GROUP CONTRIBUTED $350,000 TO A SEPARATE
AN ORGANIZATION CREATED TO BOOST A TOP DEMOCRATIC
PRIMARY CHALLENGER TO CONGRESSWOMAN ILHAN OMAR

A pro-Israeli group contributed $350,000 to a separate organisation created to boost a top Democratic primary challenger to Congresswoman

United Democracy Project, a super PAC affiliated with the American Israel Public Affairs Committee, wanted to prevent Omar winning her primary. But its efforts failed

063_1409934913.jpg

Congresswoman Ilhan Omar listens to speakers during an event on Capitol Hill on 20 July 2022 in Washington DC (AFP)

A pro-Israeli group contributed $350,000 to a separate organisation created to boost a top Democratic primary challenger to Congresswoman Ilhan Omar.

Just days before the Minnesota primary, the United Democracy Project (UDP), a super PAC affiliated with the American Israel Public Affairs Committee (Aipac), sent money to a new super PAC called Make a Difference MN-05 in an effort to cost Omar re-election, Jewish Insider reported. But its efforts to do so failed.

Omar, representative for Minnesota's fifth congressional district since 2019, has been an outspoken critic of Israel and the military aid it receives from the US.

Last year, in response to the violence in Sheikh Jarrah, occupied East Jerusalem, she said: “We provide $3.8bn in military aid to the Israeli government a year, without any accountability. As we speak, the Israeli military plans to force over 500 Palestinians from their homes. We must make sure that no US tax dollars are used to fund this violence.”

Since the UDP contributed money to a separate account, it was not required to disclose its spending until after the primaries. The money went to Don Samuels, a former city councilman, who lost by 2,500 votes.

Jewish Insider reported that after the election, Samuels expressed his frustration that pro-Israel groups had not supported his campaign.

“I know that there were people I called and that were called on my behalf to say, ‘We need your help, we need your endorsement, we need your dollars, we need your support’,” Samuels told Jewish Insider last month.

“They said it very clear: ‘We’re not going to invest in this’.”

BDS movement
The UDP also contributed $350,000 to another super PAC opposing Yuh-Line Niou, a member of the NY State Assembly, who had been vocal about supporting the Palestinian-led Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions (BDS) movement.

In an email exchange with Jewish Insider, she wrote: “I believe in the right to protest as a fundamental tenet of western democracy, so I do support BDS.”

“People think that the BDS movement is in some way antisemitic, but I don’t think that it is,” she added. “I think that it’s making sure that people can have the right to be able to have free speech."

This money from the UDP was contributed to New York Progressives, a group that was launched in the final weeks of the race and spent more than $400,000 casting Niou as “reckless”, Jewish Insider reported. She lost to Dan Goldman.

The UDP was launched by Aipac in January and since then has spent millions of dollars in races across the US.

In August, American billionaire Robert Kraft's holding company donated $1m to Aipac's super PAC, according to records from the Federal Election Commission.
The super PAC has also received a $2m donation from WhatsApp co-founder Jan Koum, as well as other smaller but sizable amounts from Republican donors Paul Singer and Bernie Marcus, investment manager Jonathon Jacobson and Democratic mega-donor Haim Saban.