Ice Cube Wants Control of the Friday Film Franchise: 'It's My Movie'

RoomService

Dinner is now being served.
BGOL Investor
Ice Cube Wants Control of the Friday Film Franchise: 'It's My Movie'

Ice Cube is fighting for control of the Friday franchise.

The 53-year-old actor and rapper — who starred in and co-wrote the original 1995 film, as well as starred in and wrote its sequels Next Friday (2000) and Friday After Next (2002) — is on board to continue the comedic saga, but claims Warner Bros. is holding up the process.

Asked about the future of the Friday films on a recent episode of the Hotboxin' with Mike Tyson podcast, Ice Cube said, "I don't know. Warner Brothers is weird right now. I don't know what they're doing, they don't know what they're doing."

"We'd love to have it back. I think it's gonna be close to a time when we can get it back. So we'll either wait for that time, or we'll keep trying to convince them that they need to let us control the movie," he continued. "It's my movie, but they have distribution control."

When Mike Tyson asked Ice Cube, who was also a producer on the Friday movies, if he'd ever consider purchasing the rights, the latter immediately replied, "I ain't putting s--- up for it. F--- no. They need to give it to me, and they're gonna make money."

"I'm not [going] to pay for my own stuff, that's stupid," he continued. "They need to do the right thing, get it to us, let us turn it into more money and make the fans happy, and people will have a good time with the series. We can do a lot with it."

Ice Cube went on to say he has written two screenplays for another Friday sequel which, if made, would come out more than two decades after the last film in the original trilogy.

And while he claimed Warner Bros. rejected the first script because "the timing wasn't right," he said the second "was in development hell."

"They just kept giving you note after note after note, never giving you the green light," Ice Cube alleged.

"One of the reasons why I didn't do the second one was because of the weed," Tucker said in a November 2021 interview with All Urban Central. "Because I said, man, that movie became a phenomenon. I don't want everybody smoking weed — and I never really told people this because I kind of forgot about it, but it was one of the reasons why I didn't do it. Because I said, 'I don't wanna represent everybody smoking weed.' "

"And that's one of the reasons why I said, 'Nah.' I didn't wanna keep doing that character. It probably was good for me because it kept me moving to the next phase and next movies," Tucker added.

The following month, Ice Cube said Tucker, 51, "didn't want to cuss or smoke weed on camera anymore."

"We were ready to pay Chris Tucker $10-12m to do Next Friday but he turned us down for religious reasons," Ice Cube also said in his tweet.

slowmotion

Rising Star
Registered
Someone will have to break this down for me. So it's Cubes movie, but he has to wait for WB to green light it, because they own the distribution rights? Is that common in the movie industry? Sucks that he just can't shop it around to another distributor.

Mixd

Duppy Maker
BGOL Investor
kanye-west-1.jpg

ZuluSam

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Same shit with music..... When niccas first started geting their own record companies they learned real quick that a record company ain't shit without distribution. So what if your song hits....and it could sell 150k copies in a week...can you press 150k cd's and transport them to every state in the country and get them in all the record stores from Seattle to Florida and New York to California in two or three days.....hell nawl.

Distribution, distribution, distribution. So yeah, it is his movie, but they control its movement in the market place...or not.

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
So they rejecting his scripts. Cool kids ain't pleased with him. Probably not any weirdo shit in the movie, so they don't want to do it. :smh: Got an uphill battle if he is pissing of both jews and the weirdos.

slowmotion

Rising Star
Registered
Same shit with music..... When niccas first started geting their own record companies they learned real quick that a record company ain't shit without distribution. So what if your song hits....and it could sell 150k copies in a week...can you press 150k cd's and transport them to every state in the country and get them in all the record stores from Seattle to Florida and New York to California in two or three days.....hell nawl.

Distribution, distribution, distribution. So yeah, it is his movie, but they control its movement in the market place...or not.

So I guess the big screen is still the way to go? You would think with streaming services, that some of the old guard wouldn't be as powerful. But then again, many of them control or in bed with streaming sites.

sorcererforemost

Rising Star
Registered
He co-wrote the original and best one with DJ Pooh. The sequels were garbage and Chris Tucker doesn't want to return and many of the OGs are dead.

Just let it go. Another sequel doesn't need to be made.
It's going to look like House Party 2 with a picture tribute to John Witherspoon and mention of how Deebo got spanked in prison.

Also that Ezel (AJ Johnson) OD'd.

Piff Henderson

Stage Manager of Stage Managers
BGOL Investor
It's going to look like House Party 2 with a picture tribute to John Witherspoon and mention of how Deebo got spanked in prison.

Also that Ezel (AJ Johnson) OD'd.
That got me thinking who would be the Bernie Mac uncle who says "I loved your father but that ninja owed me money."

Not to mention Bernie Mac and Michael Clarke Duncan, both were in the original, are also now dead.

sorcererforemost

Rising Star
Registered
That got me thinking who would be the Bernie Mac uncle who says "I loved your father but that ninja owed me money."

Not to mention Bernie Mac and Michael Clarke Duncan, both were in the original, are also now dead.
I'm saying!

Yeah Bernie was first to go and I was mid-late teens when that happened. It's was the first time I really was taken back by a celebrity dying.

Then MCD.

Piff Henderson

Stage Manager of Stage Managers
BGOL Investor
I'm saying!

Yeah Bernie was first to go and I was mid-late teens when that happened. It's was the first time I really was taken back by a celebrity dying.

Then MCD.
I knew he had been ill. You could even see it on his sitcom because his voice sounded weaker but it was a shock when he died nonetheless.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
It's crazy...

Music movies etc etc

Same messed up contracts for damn near a century

They write books articles make movies songs albums documentaries YouTube podcasts about these same bad contracts

The public usually blames the artist

Unless recently with Chappelle

Then they blame the label execs

Specifically Jewish men whose children we hear constantly apologizing for them but these contracts remain.

Who claim they are just doing business as usual

Like Puff

We hear ice cube and Stallone

who are iconic legends and pioneers in their own rights complain how they got screwed

But then you have experts who claim NONE of those movies would have EVER been made WITHOUT those deals

Rocky and Friday especially

So it's a double edged sword.

I also think in 2022 every one believes their a junior entertainment lawyer and will NEVER get locked into a bad deal.

* yet sign their lives away a couple of times a day on various apps and social media platforms and scams.

Last edited: