How To Make Overnight Steel Cut Oats (No Cook)

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator
https://www.bgol.us/forum/"https://...bzwJaSCWpJxs9ISEFzweq9G5nWc9SkRAzMuyfSSYkyUs"

How To Make Overnight Steel Cut Oats (No Cook)

Dairy-FreeGluten FreeVeganVegetarianMeal Prep
Jump To Recipe

• Save For Later
By: Denise Bustard29 Comments
Posted:
9/8/20Updated: 11/17/20

This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.

How to make overnight steel cut oats, no cooking required! Vegan and gluten free, with just 4 ingredients required and ready in just 5 minutes of meal prep.
Oatmeal is such a versatile ingredient for meal prep: you can make baked oatmeal, overnight oats, or steel cut oats. But here's a new one for you: did you know you can make overnight oats using steel cut oatmeal?

Spoonful of Overnight Steel Cut Oats with blueberries

Chewy, nutty, and easy to prep, this is a different way to prep steel cut oatmeal: rather than cooking, we soak. Unlike regular overnight oats, when using steel cut oatmeal, you get a really chewy texture, similar to muesli.

0 seconds of 30 secondsVolume 0%
[COLOR=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.8)]

[/COLOR][/COLOR]​
[/COLOR]​
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]

Reasons You'll ♡ This Recipe

• it's vegan, gluten-free and nutritious
  • you can prep multiple portions in 10 minutes or less
  • it has a different texture than regular oatmeal: chewy and similar to muesli

Recipe Video

Watch the video below to see exactly how I prep this recipe. It’s so easy! You can find more of my recipe videos on my YouTube channel, or on Facebook.

Don't forget to pin this post to save it for later!

measuring cups with rolled oats and steel cut oats side by side

Steel Cut Versus Rolled Oats

Wondering what the difference is between steel cut oats and rolled oats?
Steel cut oats– are very similar to the harvested oat grain (groat), and have been cut into pieces using a steel blade. They take longer to cook and have a chewy texture.
Rolled oats- have been steamed and rolled flat (hence the name ‘rolled oats’). Cook quickly and work well in baked goods. Rolled oats have a soft texture.

Step By Step Directions

Scroll to the recipe card for ingredient quantities.
  1. Just like traditional overnight oats, you are going to portion out your oatmeal into different containers. I like using 12.5 oz Weck Jars
    ir

for my oats, but you can use pint sized mason jars or even plastic tupperware containers. I use ¼ cup portions of steel cut oatmeal per serving.​
  2. Next, you add your liquid and flavorings: almond milk, maple syrup and vanilla extract​
  3. Give them a good stir up (this is actually important, and in fact if you can give them another stir up after a few more hours, they will absorb even more liquid), and let the oats sit in the fridge overnight.​
  4. Enjoy cold, with toppings of your choice, and extra almond milk if desired.​

Two jars of steel cut overnight oats

Recipe Notes

Texture

Overnight steel cut oatmeal has a much different texture than traditionally cooked steel cut oatmeal or rolled oats: much chewier.
For softer texture, here are two options
  1. Wait for 48 hours before eating the oatmeal- this allows extra time for the almond milk to absorb into the steel cut oats, softening it up slightly more.​
  2. Soak in boiling water first- another way to soften the oats is to cover in boiling water for 5-10 minutes (up to 1 hour if you have it), then drain it off and add the almond milk.​

Liquids

I tested this recipe with both almond and 1% dairy milk, and found the almond milk to soften the oats better. Feel free to experiment with other liquids, but know that this may make the oatmeal more or less chewy.

Thickening The Oatmeal

As written, this is a thin recipe...think of it like a bowl of muesli! If you'd like to thicken, you have a few options:
  1. add 1 tablespoon of chia seeds (increase the almond milk to ¾ cup)​
  2. add ¼-1/2 cup yogurt (I recommend adding the yogurt after day 2 of soaking as it seemed to hinder the steel cut oats from absorbing the almond milk).​

Add Ins

Think of this as a great base recipe, and put your spin on it! Here are some ideas for add-ins:
  • chia seeds- aim for 1 tablespoon per portion
  • peanut butter
  • applesauce
  • pumpkin puree
  • spices (cinnamon, nutmeg)
  • dried fruit- cranberries or blueberries
  • lemon or lime zest
  • fresh fruit (add to serve)
  • collagen or protein powder

spoonful of steel cut oats overnight with chia seeds and strawberries

More Breakfast Recipes

Did you make this? Tag me on social @sweetpeasandsaffron and be sure to leave a comment and rate the recipe!
spoon taking out a scoop of overnight steel cut oats in mason jar with fresh blueberries

Overnight Steel Cut Oats

5 from 27 votes
Prep Time:10minutes mins
Total Time:10minutes mins

• Pin
Print
Rate

How to make overnight steel cut oats, no cooking required! Vegan and gluten free, with just 4 ingredients required and ready in just 5 minutes of meal prep.
+

Ingredients

• ▢​
    1 cup steel cut oats (NOT instant steel cut oats!)
  • ▢​
    2 cups almond milk (see 1)
  • ▢​
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ▢​
    4 teaspoons maple syrup

Instructions

• In four 1.5 cup jars, measure out: ¼ cup steel cut oats, ½ cup almond milk, ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract and 1 teaspoon maple syrup.
  • Stir up and refrigerate for a minimum of 24 hours. Oats are best after 48 hours of soaking.
  • Stir up and enjoy cold as is, or with extra toppings such as fresh berries, yogurt, seeds, nut butter etc.

Tips:​

1- dairy milk can also be used, but almond milk absorbs into the steel cut oats a little better

To thicken

Add 1 tablespoon chia seeds and ¼ cup extra almond milk, OR ¼-1/2 cup greek yogurt (add yogurt to serve as it can hinder milk absorption/softening of the oats).

To soften

These oats are much chewier than traditional steel cut oats, and are best enjoyed after 48 hours.

If you'd like to reduce the chewiness of these oats, you can soak in boiling water first: cover in boiling water for 5-10 minutes (up to 1 hour if you have it), then drain it off and add the almond milk.

Optional add ins

• chia seeds- aim for 1 tablespoon per portion
  • peanut butter
  • applesauce
  • pumpkin puree
  • spices (cinnamon, nutmeg)
  • dried fruit- cranberries or blueberries
  • lemon or lime zest
  • fresh fruit (add to serve)
  • collagen or protein powder

Video

Nutrition Information

Serving: 1jar, Calories: 193kcal, Carbohydrates: 31g, Protein: 7g, Fat: 4g, Sodium: 163mg, Potassium: 15mg, Fiber: 4g, Sugar: 4g, Calcium: 178mg, Iron: 1.7mg
Author: Denise Bustard

Course: Breakfast

Cuisine: American
© Sweet Peas & Saffron - Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.

Did You Make This?Don't forget to leave a review below, and tag us on Instagram using @SweetPeasAndSaffron or #sweetpeasandsaffron
Tag Me On InstagramRate Recipe