Here's What it Looks Like Inside Your Tires as You Drive

lightbright

Master Pussy Poster
BGOL Investor
GoPro Inside a Car Tire (While Driving)
I mount a GoPro camera inside of a car tire and drive the car around to see what it looks like inside of a wheel when we drive around every day. I remove the tire from the rim then I mount the GoPro to the inside of the wheel and mount the tire back on the rim, mount the tire back on and re-install the wheel on the car. Then I drive around and take a look at what it looks like the inside of the tire to see inside what the tire is going through as I drive through a bumpy road a smooth road and take turns at a higher speed. it was a really interesting an awesome perspective to see what the tire is going through as we're driving our car. and at the end of this video, I deflate the tire and the air pressure inside the tire does something really cool so you have to watch to the end.

It’s springtime! Time to start working on your project car, learn a new wrenching skill, discover what everything is under the hood (and how it works), or just spruce up your daily driver. All month, we’ll be looking back at our best informative, maintenance and DIY articles from Jalopnik’s near 20-year history to get your ride ready for the road.

It’s easy to forget that tires also work as shock absorbers. They’re an important part of the system, working alongside the rest of your car’s suspension to smooth out your ride, but you might not appreciate that because you rarely get to watch the work they do. Until you put a camera inside a tire.

The following video is the work of YouTubers Warped Perception and answers a question that probably a lot of us have had, maybe for our entire lives: Just what the hell does it look like inside your tires as you’re rolling down the road?

It looks both pretty trippy and also, in a strange way, somewhat predictable. It’s vaguely a little dirty in there, with small bits of debris flying about, but not in an unkempt way, more slightly dirty tire-shop vibes.

It’s also, surprisingly, a little violent, as somewhere around a quarter of the weight of the vehicle bears down on the thick rubber. I certainly didn’t expect to see the sidewall deforming as much as it does. For some reason, from inside the tire, the amount of deformation seems way more pronounced than I expected it to.

And when the car eventually picks up speed, the effect is even more jarring. This footage is pretty informative, and gives you a good look at what happens where the rubber literally meets the road.

Here's What it Looks Like Inside Your Tires as You Drive (msn.com)

lightbright

Master Pussy Poster
BGOL Investor
Mans gotta whole racin slick on smh.

That was a dope perspective tho. Thanks OP!
I think that a new tire with more tread would've worked better, with slightly less flexing because of the thickness of it's tread, but anything over 30-40 mph would still have extreme vibration from the weight of the camera making it off balance (didn't see him rebalance it with weights).... an ounce would fuck up the balance let alone two or three or more of that camera and light

Last edited:

DJCandle

BGOL Investor
I think that a new tire with more tread would've worked better, with slightly less flexing because of the thickness of it's tread, but anything over 30-40 mph would still have extreme vibration from the weight of the camera making it off balance (didn't see him rebalance it with weights).... an ounce would fuck up the balance let alone two or three or more of that camere and light

Yea I was wondering how much clearance there was from tire wall to the GoPro . Didn’t feel like much. You’d have to expect some kinda flexing in use. Definitely a thicker tread or even a bigger tire would’ve been interesting

lightbright

Master Pussy Poster
BGOL Investor
Yea I was wondering how much clearance there was from tire wall to the GoPro . Didn’t feel like much. You’d have to expect some kinda flexing in use. Definitely a thicker tread or even a bigger tire would’ve been interesting
He did measure, but he should've used a some sort of 4x4 or a car with thicker tires.... that looked like his own vehicle... which he obviously doesn't take care of by the wear on those tires ..... probably can barely afford it if he can't keep better tires on it :smh:

mk23666

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Car tires don't have innertubes??
When did they stop making inner tubes for car tires?

The other major development in the evolution of the modern tire was the tubeless tire, which basically replaced the inner-tube version by the early 1960s, with the first factory standard tubeless tire coming equipped to the Packard in 1954.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
When did they stop making inner tubes for car tires?

The other major development in the evolution of the modern tire was the tubeless tire, which basically replaced the inner-tube version by the early 1960s, with the first factory standard tubeless tire coming equipped to the Packard in 1954.
Dang I'm all late:blush:

lightbright

Master Pussy Poster
BGOL Investor
Car tires don't have innertubes??
disgusted-disappointed.gif

So you're basically saying that you've never owned a car? :smh:

lightbright

Master Pussy Poster
BGOL Investor
you dont need to know the details of the mechanics of a thing to use and own it. Theres alot about a smartphone most people arent aware of..doesn't mean they dont have one.
If you don't know how to change your tire, or even if it can be repaired...... or other basic shit like that it doesn't have an innertube..... do you even check your engine oil when that light comes on or do you assume that it means the engine is working?....You the chick that gets ripped off by the mechanic and blindly believes anything that he says..... right this minute there's one going "goddamit, I can't charge him for an inner tube no more."... sad
:smh: :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh:

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
If you don't know how to change your tire, or even if it can be repaired...... or other basic shit like that it doesn't have an innertube..... do you even check your engine oil when that light comes on or do you assume that it means the engine is working?....You the chick that gets ripped off by the mechanic and blindly believes anything that he says..... right this minute there's one going "goddamit, I can't charge him for an inner tube no more."... sad
:smh: :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh:

calm down nigga :rolleyes: :rolleyes: oh and that reminds me about checkin the oil....