HBO Series: Watchmen (2019) (drops 10/20/19) Thread

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Jean Smart says she got her Watchmen role because Sigourney Weaver turned it down

"So, thank you, Sigourney," Smart said in a new interview with Variety.
By Christian Holub
June 16, 2021 at 03:24 PM EDT

Jean Smart is having a moment. Her high-profile roles on two different critically-acclaimed shows this year - the murder mystery Mare of Easttown and the comedy Hacks - arrive on the heels of her well-regarded performance on HBO's 2019 Watchmen miniseries, for which she earned an Emmy nomination for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Limited Series. But in a new interview with Saturday Night Live star Bowen Yang for Variety, Smart reveals that she was not the first choice to play Agent Laurie Blake.

"They hired me two days before I started," Smart told Yang. "I'll be really honest: I had Sigourney Weaver to thank for turning down the role. So, thank you, Sigourney."

The Watchmen series is a sequel to the graphic novel of the same name by writer Alan Moore and artist Dave Gibbons. One of the most celebrated superhero comics of all time, Watchmen forced costumed heroes to reckon with the nuclear realities of the Cold War. The HBO series, created by Damon Lindelof, picks up 34 years after the events of the comic. Laurie Blake, formerly the superhero known as Silk Spectre, has since become an FBI agent who ruthlessly hunts costumed vigilantes.

The Watchmen series wasn't just rooted in comic books, but also America's racist history. The premiere opened with a devastating dramatization of the Tulsa race massacre that took place a century ago this year.

"I knew nothing about the graphic novel," Smart said. "I started reading the pilot, and I said, 'Oh, my God, this is amazing.' I'd never really done that science-fiction genre, and the fact that Damon was able to use that tragic part of our history that almost no one knew about - that was what was so shocking, that I had never heard of the Tulsa massacre. That's why I think he said no when I asked him to do a second season because I think he put everything into that."

Representatives for Weaver and Lindelof did not immediately respond to requests for comment from EW.
Read the full interview at Variety.

Flawless

Flawless One
BGOL Investor
Jean Smart says she got her Watchmen role because Sigourney Weaver turned it down

"So, thank you, Sigourney," Smart said in a new interview with Variety.
By Christian Holub
June 16, 2021 at 03:24 PM EDT

Jean Smart is having a moment. Her high-profile roles on two different critically-acclaimed shows this year - the murder mystery Mare of Easttown and the comedy Hacks - arrive on the heels of her well-regarded performance on HBO's 2019 Watchmen miniseries, for which she earned an Emmy nomination for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Limited Series. But in a new interview with Saturday Night Live star Bowen Yang for Variety, Smart reveals that she was not the first choice to play Agent Laurie Blake.

"They hired me two days before I started," Smart told Yang. "I'll be really honest: I had Sigourney Weaver to thank for turning down the role. So, thank you, Sigourney."

The Watchmen series is a sequel to the graphic novel of the same name by writer Alan Moore and artist Dave Gibbons. One of the most celebrated superhero comics of all time, Watchmen forced costumed heroes to reckon with the nuclear realities of the Cold War. The HBO series, created by Damon Lindelof, picks up 34 years after the events of the comic. Laurie Blake, formerly the superhero known as Silk Spectre, has since become an FBI agent who ruthlessly hunts costumed vigilantes.

The Watchmen series wasn't just rooted in comic books, but also America's racist history. The premiere opened with a devastating dramatization of the Tulsa race massacre that took place a century ago this year.

"I knew nothing about the graphic novel," Smart said. "I started reading the pilot, and I said, 'Oh, my God, this is amazing.' I'd never really done that science-fiction genre, and the fact that Damon was able to use that tragic part of our history that almost no one knew about - that was what was so shocking, that I had never heard of the Tulsa massacre. That's why I think he said no when I asked him to do a second season because I think he put everything into that."

Representatives for Weaver and Lindelof did not immediately respond to requests for comment from EW.
Read the full interview at Variety.

I think the series would have got more attention is Weaver was in it.

benny_negro

Rising Star
Platinum Member

What you thinking here Playa?

Moore isn’t saying anything he hasn’t said many times and the Tweet isn’t responding any differently than most fans have responded as long as he’s been sayin it lol

be curious if he actually ever name checked any specifics in the “smattering” of non white characters and creators he feels exist…? Has he? Made any specific references?

benny_negro

Rising Star
Platinum Member
wouldn't make a difference

old testament Jews were the master race - as long as they followed the word of Yaweh
Right. Idk that it’s thought of or talked about in what I’ve always heard as nazi terms like “master race” …but certainly, “Gods Chosen People”/“set apart”/favored/exemplary etc.

The story of Jesus and the unfolding of the politics/power plays that led to his crucifixion in large part is that there were many contemporary Jewish leaders (many of whom were from what I understand if not placed in power by the Romans, allowed to operate by way of Roman favor/appeasement etc) who couldn’t care less for “God” or “The Kingdom” Jesus preached, but believed their promised messiah would be a warrior king - wielding enough “fire power” to free them from Rome and any/all other would be overlords and set them in an earthly position to reign forever - and maybe not even necessarily over gentile/non Jewish people. But that they would have eternal sovereignty where they could never be subjugated etc again. Jesus understood all of that (and a whole lot more lol) and wasn’t about that (but was instead about a whole lot more) lol. Making it clear in his words and actions that folks were misunderstanding the scriptures and the prophecies. Obviously some- many even -heard him and followed. Others (with sway and influence….) wasn’t tryin to hear that.

the tweet is on some tokenism type shit — tryin to say the Jewish authors couldn’t possibly be creating white supremacy “master race” fantasies because well they are Jewish!

but Moore is talking about fascism and capitalism as much as “racism”/“white supremacist/master race fantasy” — because of course they all fundamentally work together. in 2019 when he wrote that piece(obviously because of Lindeloff Watchmen and the conversation around that series tryin to deal with racism/fascism/capitalism in a way they felt was head on), as they work together in 2022 as in the 20th century as in Jerusalem 1st century as in… as in… as in… as in lol

like I asked above - I’m more interested in what folks consider the “smatterings”/the exceptions…?

0utsyder

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

The creator has NOTHING to do with the creation! Spiderman doesn't observe Jewish holidays. Superman isn't NOT eating pork! I have NEVER seen Batman in a yamaka. Bruce Waynes great grandfather was really Whayneberg when they first migrated to Gotham. Get the fcuk outta here with that; '...they can't be white supremacists they were created by Jewish men!' bullshyt.