Freddie Gray death: Blackface Fundraiser

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator
Fundraiser canceled for Baltimore officers charged in Freddie Gray’s death over ex-cop’s blackface plans
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/S61mwhUboEw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

baltimore23n-5-web.jpg
baltimore23n-6-web.jpg

A fundraiser planned for the six Baltimore police officers charged in the arrest and death of Freddie Gray has been canceled following criticism over its organizer's plans to entertain in blackface.

That organizer, former police officer Bobby Berger, 67, was canned by the department in the 1980s after complaints from the NAACP over his previous acts.

The ex-cop and other performers planned to participate in a Nov. 1 dinner show to raise money for the charged officers and their families. He said he's sold 600 tickets for the event, at $45 each.

Berger's planned blackface performance enraged the city's police union, a lawyer representing one of the charged officers, and the NAACP.

JAMIEA SPELLER
baltimore23n-3-web.jpg

Freddie Gray died in April from a severed spinal cord while in Baltimore police custody.
"My client will not participate. We will not accept a single, solitary dime from this sort of action," attorney Ivan Bates told The Baltimore Sun. He represents Sgt. Alicia White, one of the six officers charged in the death of Gray, who died from a severe spinal injury in April while in police custody.

"This is the type of racist behavior that we do not need and do not want," the lawyer said.

Tessa Hill-Aston, president of the city's NAACP chapter, blasted the fundraiser.

"I think it's disgusting," Hill-Aston told the paper. "Right now, with all the things that are going on in Baltimore and also with all the issues with the Confederate flag, this is just putting more salt in the wound."

An attorney for the Baltimore Fraternal Order of Police said the union had no part in the fundraiser.

"We're completely unaware of it. We don't endorse it. We do not support it," said Michael Davey.

Berger's performances featured him in blackface impersonating Al Jolson, the legendary Broadway star and actor whose acts often featured him singing in blackface.

Berger said there were no racist overtones in his performances and that African American audiences enjoyed his act. The fundraiser, he said, was designed to give financial support to the families of the charged officers.

"I've been through what they're going through and I know they need the help," Berger said.

baltimore-police-death-trial-site.jpg
usa-police-baltimore.jpg