(((EXCLUSIVE)))Rio de Janeiro - Olympic games 2016 - Master plan

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
Cool, but this is going to displace a lot of poor people.:smh:

It wont. A majority of the proposals are actually in places where the wealthy live...copa, ipanema, leblon, and barra. And the places by Maracana will be completely new developments where there are currently no residential units anyway for the most part.

Rio is probably one of the most extreme places on earth..where you can go fromo wealth to extreme property pretty quickly. None of that shit is going in the favelas or in the real empoverished areas of Zona Norte (north zone).

The only way you could really displace poor people in zona sul is by removing the favelas.

LennyNero1972

Sleeping Deity.
BGOL Investor
It wont. A majority of the proposals are actually in places where the wealthy live...copa, ipanema, leblon, and barra. And the places by Maracana will be completely new developments where there are currently no residential units anyway for the most part.

Rio is probably one of the most extreme places on earth..where you can go fromo wealth to extreme property pretty quickly. None of that shit is going in the favelas or in the real empoverished areas of Zona Norte (north zone).

The only way you could really displace poor people in zona sul is by removing the favelas.

I hope you are right.

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
I hope you are right.

There could be other things planned that are not in this particular master plan.

The Pan-Am games are MUCH smaller but went smoothly in Rio..(no violence,etc)

I am sure though that the surrounding smaller favelas in zona sul might be topics of discussion...

But Lula probably wont have any of it (in terms of displacing people) and I would be assume that mostly everything will need to be approved while he is still president in order to get it approved in time.

The issue is that Rio is not like other cities where you can really do gentrification....in Rio..the favelas in zona sul are all in the surrouning mountains...so its like they can just build over it... those areas dont even have running water, etc....... they will just keep everything away from the favelas