Eastwood Tells spike lee stfu

Brnpit

Rising Star
Registered
Dirty Harry comes clean

Clint Eastwood talks to Jeff Dawson about race, euthanasia, politicians, capital punishment - and how he really feels about the 'fascist' role that made him famous

Friday June 6, 2008
The Guardian

'A guy like him should shut his face' - Clint Eastwood on Spike Lee. Photograph: Nicolas Guerin/Corbis

Clint Eastwood folds his gangly frame behind a clifftop table at the Hotel Du Cap, a few miles up the coast from Cannes, sighs deeply, and squints out over the Mediterranean. "Has he ever studied the history?" he asks, in that familiar near-whisper.

The "he" is Spike Lee, and the reason Eastwood is asking is because of something Lee had said about Eastwood's Iwo Jima movie Flags of Our Fathers, while promoting his own war movie, Miracle at St Anna, about a black US unit in the second world war. Lee had noted the lack of African-Americans in Eastwood's movie and told reporters: "That was his version. The negro version did not exist."

Article continues

Eastwood has no time for Lee's gripes. "He was complaining when I did Bird [the 1988 biopic of Charlie Parker]. Why would a white guy be doing that? I was the only guy who made it, that's why. He could have gone ahead and made it. Instead he was making something else." As for Flags of Our Fathers, he says, yes, there was a small detachment of black troops on Iwo Jima as a part of a munitions company, "but they didn't raise the flag. The story is Flags of Our Fathers, the famous flag-raising picture, and they didn't do that. If I go ahead and put an African-American actor in there, people'd go, 'This guy's lost his mind.' I mean, it's not accurate."

Lee shouldn't be demanding African-Americans in Eastwood's next picture, either. Changeling is set in Los Angeles during the Depression, before the city's make-up was changed by the large black influx. "What are you going to do, you gonna tell a fuckin' story about that?" he growls. "Make it look like a commercial for an equal opportunity player? I'm not in that game. I'm playing it the way I read it historically, and that's the way it is. When I do a picture and it's 90% black, like Bird, I use 90% black people."

Eastwood pauses, deliberately - once it would have provided him with the beat in which to spit out his cheroot before flinging back his poncho - and offers a last word of advice to the most influential black director in American movies. "A guy like him should shut his face."

Eastwood knows how to handle controversy. Four years ago, his boxing flick Million Dollar Baby, which garnered him best picture and best director Oscars (giving him five in total, including two for Unforgiven and a premature lifetime achievement gong back in 1995), was attacked by Christian groups. They had objected to the plot's "assisted suicide" of a paralysed athlete. "People who hadn't even seen the movie were saying that it's pro-euthanasia, but it wasn't," Eastwood says. "If you had asked Frankie [his character in the film], 'Do you believe in euthanasia?', he'd have probably said no. But that was the circumstances of the moment. Highly dramatic circumstances."

And 37 years ago, he starred in a film that has been a bone of contention ever since, and which is the reason for our conversation today. Dirty Harry, the film that liberals have long argued was little more than an argument for summary justice, is being rereleased in DVD form, packaged with its quartet of siblings (Magnum Force, The Enforcer, Sudden Impact and The Dead Pool), as part of Warner Brothers' 85th birthday celebrations.

Dirty Harry - the story of a cop railing against bureaucracy and pursuing criminals according to his own whim - has been so imitated that it is hard to imagine the revulsion that spilled over it upon its release. The New Yorker's critic, Pauline Kael, called it "fascist", and other reviewers heaped similar scorn on it. They wondered whether holding a .44 Magnum in a suspect's face was the best way to pursue justice; they wondered whether the San Francisco setting was a slap at one of America's most liberal cities; even the CND belt buckle sported by Scorpio, the serial killer in the film, was interpreted as a swipe at the left. With the cop thriller supplanting the western as Hollywood's action genre of choice, Eastwood was surely the political as well as cinematic successor to John Wayne.

But moviegoers took little notice of those who attacked the film. They flocked to the cinemas, Dirty Harry's dialogue passed into common parlance, and it now occupies an important if uneasy place in film history.

"Of course people built a lot of connotations into the film that weren't necessarily there." Eastwood grins. "Being a contrary sort of person, I figured there had been enough politically correct crap going around. The police were not held in great favour particularly, the Miranda decisions had come down [forcing police to read arrested suspects their rights], people were thinking about the plight of the accused. I thought, 'Let's do a picture about the plight of the victim.'"

Wayne had turned the film down, as had Steve McQueen, Robert Mitchum and various others. Frank Sinatra was set to star until, according to showbiz lore, tendonitis in his wrist prevented him from handling the Magnum's heavy recoil. "Probably just bullshit," says Eastwood. But Ol' Blue Eyes' loss was Young Blue Eyes' gain. Eastwood brought director/collaborator Don Siegel to the project. And, courtesy of a much misquoted line - "You've got to ask yourself one question: do I feel lucky? Well do ya, punk?" - the picture turned Eastwood from cowboy star into everyman icon.

That same year, Eastwood directed his first film, Play Misty for Me. With Dirty Harry having established him as Warner Brothers' surest banker, he negotiated a quid pro quo: the studio would indulge his personal projects, such as Bronco Billy or Honkytonk Man, the kind of fare that would shape him as the director we know today, as long as he kept on cranking out the blockbusters, even if that meant working with an orangutan.

Sergio Leone, who directed Eastwood in his breakthrough role in the Man With No Name trilogy of spaghetti westerns, said he liked the actor because he had only two expressions: "one with the hat, one without it". These days it would be stretching it to suggest that Eastwood's range is quite that broad, his face seemingly fixed in a beatific beam, the sort of blissful countenance that once had him pegged in a scurrilous - and erroneous - piece of showbiz gossip as Stan Laurel's love child. The skin on his cheeks certainly seems tauter than one might expect of a man of his vintage. The contentment of his autumn years or the proverbial "bit of work"? Frankly, you can only wonder.

Nevertheless, he's imposingly tall (6ft 2in), sporty-lean, and could probably knock both 10 years off the 78 he has clocked up and seven bells out of anyone who messes with him, the result of relentless exercising, a strict diet and, probably, fatherhood late in life. In an arrangement at which even Ken Livingstone might raise eyebrows, Eastwood has had seven children with five different women, including an 11-year-old daughter with his current wife, Dina. It surely accounts for the emotional content of some of his recent films, not least Changeling, which had been in competition for the Palme d'Or and, like the lauded Mystic River, concerns child abduction.

There are actually echoes of Dirty Harry in Changeling, Eastwood says, and he's not making any concessions to liberals: "I get a kick out of it because the judge convicts the killer to two years in solitary confinement, and then to be hanged. In 1928 they said: 'You can spend two years thinking about it and then we're going to kill you.' Nowadays they're sitting there worrying about how putting a needle in is a cruel and unusual punishment, the same needle you would have if you had a blood test."

The politics are evidently always simmering with Eastwood. By the time Ronald Reagan was in the White House quoting Eastwood's "Go ahead, make my day" from Sudden Impact in a speech about tax cuts ("I must have heard it about 10,000 times," says Eastwood), he was shaping up to become the non-partisan mayor of the California town of Carmel, where he was sympathetic to environmental concerns and less sympathetic to big business.

Eastwood still likes to let his views be known, often forcefully. In 2005, he vowed he'd kill Michael Moore if the documentarian ever showed up at his house, the way he had doorstepped Charlton Heston in Bowling for Columbine. This March he was sacked from Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger's California state parks commission for objecting to the building of a toll road through a national forest. But though he has been associated in the public mind with Republican viewpoints, he's something of an individualist. "I don't pay attention to either side," he claims. "I mean, I've always been a libertarian. Leave everybody alone. Let everybody else do what they want. Just stay out of everybody else's hair. So I believe in that value of smaller government. Give politicians power and all of a sudden they'll misuse it on ya."

Has he declared for anybody in this electoral cycle? "You know, I haven't really," he says. "My wife used to be an anchorwoman in Arizona, so she knew John McCain and she liked him and I kinda liked him. In fact, we sort of supported him when he was running the first time against Bush eight years ago. But we haven't been active as yet. It's kind of a zoo out there right now. So I think I'll kinda let things percolate."

These days Eastwood doesn't really look back on his old films, though he mentions a viewing of The Outlaw Josey Wales, a film some regard as his masterpiece. He meant to watch for five minutes, but ended up sitting all the way through. "The films that I've done in recent years are the ones I remember the most," he says. "I guess I'm living in the present more than the past."

One thing he has made clear is that he will definitely not be making Dirty Harry 6, despite rumours to the contrary. "Some idiot came up with some theory," he says. The crime flick Gran Torino, which he is due to film at some point, is emphatically not part of the Dirty Harry cycle. "Not at my age," he stresses. "There are certain age limits on police officers. They'd have retired me out at 65."

But there's one film project on the cards that might interest Spike Lee. Eastwood's next project, The Human Factor, is about Nelson Mandela and how he used the country's victory in the 1995 Rugby World Cup as a means of fostering national unity. Will he be sticking with the historical record on that one? He laughs. "Yeah, I'm not going to make Nelson Mandela a white guy."

· The Dirty Harry Ultimate Collector's Edition box set is released on Monday

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

ak_rep

Rising Star
Registered
Clint is cool with me. I don't put too much stock in the race card because I know white people just like him. Human beings first and only.

He's on some man to man shit. Clint is a boss. He could be wrong but he's just saying "fuck you." He's old and his patience is limited.

Rebel7fo

Potential Star
Registered
I just read that...thanks...

Spike needs to chill and apologize. Dudes got a movie about nelson mandela in the works. After reading this I got a better understanding of his viewpoint..

KhowYunFat

Star
BGOL Investor
Clint is cool with me. I don't put too much stock in the race card because I know white people just like him. Human beings first and only.

He's on some man to man shit. Clint is a boss. He could be wrong but he's just saying "fuck you." He's old and his patience is limited.

:lol::lol:

Muddy Waters

Star
Registered
I ain't shame to say it...I'm with Eastwood on this. Spike need to stop crying every time Eastwood or anyone other than him, makes a movie that features or focuses on blacks. He needs to continue to make his own movies, and focus on his projects. Clint in my opinion is doing the damn thang. If Spike wants to make a movie about Mandela, then he needs to make his movie about Mandela! But, he needs to stop thinking he's the keeper of all black people. And, no one can represent US in film, without his approval and participation. :cool:

bermyshotta

International
International Member
yo clint one a di best actors ever,spike need to raise up,i like spike to but he makin a issue outta nuffin

Ming Fei Hong

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
:yes:

dirty-harry-clint-eastwood1.JPG

Thothprod

Star
BGOL Investor
Clint is straight wit me.....That don't mean I agree wit all his views....But neither do I with a lot of Black Folks I Love and respect.....

Remember him from playin Rowdy Yates in "Rawhide"...way before he Blew up

I will say most of the films he has had a say in had Black folks repped....including the "Dirty Harry" flicks both negative and positive...which is "Reality"

I personally did not like The "Bird " Flick myself....but I'm a Musician and knew he was not reppin what Charlie Parker was really about....and Forrest Whitaker potrayal was IMO weak as Hell.....On The other hand he Produced a Documentary on Theolonius Monk called "Straight no Chaser"....Which I Loved....

The role Morgan Freeman had in "Million dollar Baby" was dynamite IMO....Hell of a flick

Like I said some of his views swerve a little to "Right" for my understanding of things....But dude is from another cultural and political climate

I Like Spike a lot...and have enjoyed a lot of his flicks...I really Loved his Documentary "When The Levees Broke"....

IMO let Clint Do Clint.....And Spike Do Spike....and later for the Dumbshit...Just make some Films mofo's can enjoy.

Paul1970

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
"Absent from history: the black soldiers at Iwo Jima

Nearly 900 African-Americans fought on the Japanese island but not one appears in Clint Eastwood's Oscar-tipped film, writes Dan Glaister"

"When they first hit the beach the resistance was so fierce that they weren't shifting ammunition, they were firing their rifles," said Dr McLaurin.

The failure to transfer the active role played by African-Americans at Iwo Jima to the big screen does not surprise him. "One of the marines I interviewed said that the people who were filming newsreel footage on Iwo Jima deliberately turned their cameras away when black folks came by.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2006/oct/20/usa.film

AGAIN. FUCK CLINT EASTWOOD!!!:angry:

Mo-Better

The R&B Master
OG Investor
Black combat support units also took part in the assault on Iwo Jima, where, as at Peleliu, their presence confounded the policy of segregation.

http://www.nps.gov/archive/wapa/indepth/extContent/usmc/pcn-190-003132-00/sec10.htm

FUCK CLINT EASTWOOD!!!:angry:

C/S

I've been a fan of Eastwood's for years until now. He downplayed the importance of black troops in not one but 2 movies.

Damn near every WWII movie omits the presence or the fact that blacks also participated and died for their country.

Maybe Spike will now be enouraged to address black war heros the way Hollywood keeps reminding us of how galantly whites died.

Enough of the bullshit Eastwood's decision to omit Blacks was no oversight.

younggiftedandblack

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
95% of everyone in the second movie was Japanese and it was told from their POV. Save for a random white guy who would pop up once the battle started and get shot. Why would there be black troops walking around?

Like I've said I haven't seen Flags of our Fathers, so I can't comment on that.

J Storm

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yall know Clint's Wife is a Black news reporter? I think instead of picking straws Spike should do his version... Have them FIGHTING in the war with their LEGS not MOVING (That Spike Lee Levitation Camera Effects )....
Bring up some OLD SCHOOL BASEBALL STORIES about the Brooklyn Dodgers...
and throw in some ITALIANS from BENSONHURST ....

goldenglobes0715.jpg

79th_EastwoodC_01.jpg

2559953.jpg

sirwoodz

Rising Star
Registered
I'm waiting on the fake ass marcus garveys to show up to argue that spike lee invented blackness and black people...

Clint eastwood just ended this argument right here when he talked about how spike rode his ass back in the 80's for doing a "black" movie.

I love spike like everybody else, but he always does this, he did this to mel gibson on "the patriot" shouting "WHERE ARE THE SLAVES!"...

and truth be told - clint eastwood has been putting out better movies than spike anyway...give me mystic river and million dollar baby over SHE HATE ME anyday.

lexdiamonnyc

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I say, it's his movie!! if he wants to make a cast of purple people he could!! if he wanted to make the cast all Arabs he could, if he wanted to make them all Latinos he could........ITS HIS MOVIE!!!!!! you don't like, make your own!!!

fuck that, I ride with Dirty Harry!!! that man has always been a straight shooter as far as I'm concerned!

Mo Pizorn

Star
Registered
Y'all need to take Eastwood's dick out of your mouths.
Yeah, Spike be on some bullshit sometimes but y'all on Eastwood's dick like a hooker on a millionaire. That muthafucka don't love y'all (I'm talking to the blacks in this thread, not the cracka ass crackas coming to defend one of their own). He's just another rich, white Republican in Hollywood like Arnold. He's old school; back in the days when "white is right". It ain't like he'd invite your asses over to his house for dinner, so stop licking his balls.
That said, he's directed some good films and so has Spike. As opinionated as Spike is and as wrong as he's been on some shit before, he needs to chill on picking at accuracy. Chalk that shit up to creative license, mention it casually to let folks know what's up and keep it moving.

ak_rep

Rising Star
Registered
Y'all need to take Eastwood's dick out of your mouths.
Yeah, Spike be on some bullshit sometimes but y'all on Eastwood's dick like a hooker on a millionaire. That muthafucka don't love y'all (I'm talking to the blacks in this thread, not the cracka ass crackas coming to defend one of their own). He's just another rich, white Republican in Hollywood like Arnold. He's old school; back in the days when "white is right". It ain't like he'd invite your asses over to his house for dinner, so stop licking his balls.
That said, he's directed some good films and so has Spike. As opinionated as Spike is and as wrong as he's been on some shit before, he needs to chill on picking at accuracy. Chalk that shit up to creative license, mention it casually to let folks know what's up and keep it moving.

Ninja please.

You don't love me. But would I take it personal if you were on some man to man shit. If you were telling someone to STFU, this is my shit. No.

And this is in regards to his debate with Spike Lee.

I'm not debating the inaccuracy of the movie.

And he's just like Arnold? C'mon man.

He's not just another "rich, republican millionare" dummy. This dude is a legend. Why do you think so many black cats side with him?

You need to understand this. Understand this. Older white people who are not pure racists get it. They are some of your best allies. They've spent a lifetime seeing this bullshit go on and they are some of the most genuine people in this country. You know why? Because they don't have an agenda. A man on his death bed is the most honest cat you can talk to.

IMO, he's the polar opposite to many whites in hollywood. He may have some hollywood influences but he is not tripping. This dude gets it and that's why he's cool with me.

sirwoodz

Rising Star
Registered
update....

Spike Strikes Back: ''Clint's 'an Angry Old Man''

Looks like this shit might get ugly lol

- again, spike is wrong and needs to give it up. think about it, the movie is about the flag raisers...clint eastwood has two options to show black folks in the film:

1) show black dudes being blown up in the background
2) make a random cut to a group of black soldiers in a trench having an off-hand conversation.

WTF!?! Spike keeps bitching and moaning but he isn't really saying what he would like to have seen in the film. and spike is on some bullshit for implying that clint eastwood is a racist...that's just plain ole ignorant. Let's ask morgan freeman if Clint eastwood is a racist.

Rebel7fo

Potential Star
Registered
spike needs to shut the fuck up...if his movies didn't suck he would have more credibility...Instead getting mad at the white dude telling the story, why don't spike tell the story of jima from a black perspecitve. thats just stupid to expect white people who fucking love war to romanticize black military existence during the 40's...

Deuterion

Support BGOL
Registered
Changeling is set in Los Angeles during the Depression, before the city's make-up was changed by the large black influx. "What are you going to do, you gonna tell a fuckin' story about that?" he growls. "Make it look like a commercial for an equal opportunity player? I'm not in that game. I'm playing it the way I read it historically, and that's the way it is. When I do a picture and it's 90% black, like Bird, I use 90% black people."

Damn Clint Eastwood still got it!
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

BUMBAY DA DOGG

Rising Star
Registered
Watch the thread responses and who are the handkercheif-headed negroes and ytz on BGOL will become very apparent!

Oh by the way fuck clint "beastwood" and his slave bitch.

BUMBAY DA DOGG

Rising Star
Registered
- again, spike is wrong and needs to give it up. think about it, the movie is about the flag raisers...clint eastwood has two options to show black folks in the film:

1) show black dudes being blown up in the background
2) make a random cut to a group of black soldiers in a trench having an off-hand conversation.

WTF!?! Spike keeps bitching and moaning but he isn't really saying what he would like to have seen in the film. and spike is on some bullshit for implying that clint eastwood is a racist...that's just plain ole ignorant. Let's ask morgan freeman if Clint eastwood is a racist.

"Let's ask morgan freeman if Clint eastwood is a racist"

The "slave" will never:

1. Tell you the slave master needs his total prescence removed from the face of the earth premanently

2. Say anything bad against his slave master

Is Morgan really the kat to go to for a truthful answer?

ak_rep

Rising Star
Registered
"Let's ask morgan freeman if Clint eastwood is a racist"

The "slave" will never:

1. Tell you the slave master needs his total prescence removed from the face of the earth premanently

2. Say anything bad against his slave master

Is Morgan really the kat to go to for a truthful answer?

You dummy.

Let's watch the thread responses.

Let's watch them.

How the fuck do yo call Morgan Freeman, one of the goats, and most credible black men in hollywood a slave?

You dummy. How dare you?

Oh, you'll think "he's going off what he's seen in films." Driving Mrs Daisey, blah, blah, blah.

Wrong.

MF is a class act. CE is a class act.

If you can't see that, you're done. You don't get it.

You're passionate but lost. You, as a militant, need to recognize your allies. That's what militant cats do right?

I'm not saying run to nearest white old person and make a friend. I'm talking about white folks keeping it "real." And CE is one of those cats.

He's not tripping and he doesn't have an agenda.

keysersoze

Star
Registered
Yall know Clint's Wife is a Black news reporter? I think instead of picking straws Spike should do his version... Have them FIGHTING in the war with their LEGS not MOVING (That Spike Lee Levitation Camera Effects )....
Bring up some OLD SCHOOL BASEBALL STORIES about the Brooklyn Dodgers...
and throw in some ITALIANS from BENSONHURST ....

goldenglobes0715.jpg

79th_EastwoodC_01.jpg

2559953.jpg

Dina Ruiz is a dime... here is her kissing Angelina Jolie on the lips.
angelina-jolie-kiss-b.jpg

Dina Ruiz is of "European, Japanese and African American ancestry." - I guess she's got black in her so maybe Eastwood was offended at Spike.

In all honesty, Spike can pick better issues than this beef with Eastwood - Eastwood don't seem like a racist unlike others in Hollywood. :Dunno: