Does Anyone on Here Work in the Insurance Industry?

younggiftedandblack

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'm thinking about making a career change and become a claims adjuster. Currently I work for the county and while the check is steady and the job is easy with not a lot of supervision bothering me. The pay scale is capped and unless I want to do ridiculous amounts of OT, the earning potential is limited.

Has anyone here worked or currently work in this field?

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You're the guy to tell people they don't have certain coverages or their claim is denied after a major event. Keep that in mind.

You gotta be cool with going on teo and 3 story rooftops.

You gotta be cool with going in crawl spaces under houses.

You gotta be ready to deploy at all times like the military.

You gotta be cool with being away from home for months.

It's a lifestyle. Go on glassdoor.com and see the reviews for the big boys like SF, Allstate.

Money can be pretty good but you will work round the clock for it. Some people stack for 3 to 5 years and then get out. Not saying don't do it, just be aware of the pros and cons.

daTiger

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Got my adjusters license a few months ago and haven't used it. Most companies want 3-5 years experience in the industry. I just want to do desk adjustments. Don't want to be climbing on nobody's roof. I will prob go harder at finding a job in this field during the summer. It was very easy to get the license here in FL.

The entire course is on line. The company I used allowed me to take the licensing exam on their platform so I didn't have to sit for the in-person estate exam. You just have to sign an online doc that you won't use any study materials for the test, but its not monitored by anyone :rolleyes:

adjusterpro.com

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Got my adjusters license a few months ago and haven't used it. Most companies want 3-5 years experience in the industry. I just want to do desk adjustments. Don't want to be climbing on nobody's roof. I will prob go harder at finding a job in this field during the summer. It was very easy to get the license here in FL.

The entire course is on line. The company I used allowed me to take the licensing exam on their platform so I didn't have to sit for the in-person estate exam. You just have to sign an online doc that you won't use any study materials for the test, but its not monitored by anyone :rolleyes:

adjusterpro.com

We use drones now but I'm sure there are still times when people have to physically be on that roof.

I'm in Underwriting so I'm somewhat talking out my ass. I have zero claims experience beyond very basic training. But I knew a couple people on that side.

I work for a big red company, I'm sure you can figure out who.

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

adjusterpro.com

Did u do the basic level course or the more expensive one where you get to train using Xactimate?

Basic is 199
Xactimate is 599 (Georgia prices)

Silk Dogg

Yup
BGOL Investor
The Big Red Company will train you and xactimate ( I've been thru it) or train you to handle auto. Depending on what part of the country you are in I can direct you to certain companies. Experience is not necessary.

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The Big Red Company will train you and xactimate ( I've been thru it) or train you to handle auto. Depending on what part of the country you are in I can direct you to certain companies. Experience is not necessary.

What do you think about independent vs in house?

From what I've heard independent can make more but in house offers stability/steady work and benefits.

I may be interested if I can do desk work only. I guess the only way to guarantee that would be to do independent work. The big boys gonna put you on the phones and on the roofs and all that.

Silk Dogg

Yup
BGOL Investor

From what I've heard independent can make more but in house offers stability/steady work and benefits.

I may be interested if I can do desk work only. I guess the only way to guarantee that would be to do independent work. The big boys gonna put you on the phones and on the roofs and all that.
That's the exact difference. If you are a good independent, you will stay in demand. If you are able to be on someone else's health insurance, you can make a killing being an independent. I've been inhouse as I enjoy the benefits and pension.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

That's the exact difference. If you are a good independent, you will stay in demand. If you are able to be on someone else's health insurance, you can make a killing being an independent. I've been inhouse as I enjoy the benefits and pension.

Do you brothers have any tips on getting life insurance? Would appreciate any advice or tips on that for the whole family.

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
My thing is I'm not doing all that physical stuff in terms of getting on roofs and in crawl spaces. I'll do the claims processing paperwork all day. If there's a job in house where I can do that from home, or even in office, that's what I'm looking for.

The whole field work thing I'm good on.

If that doesn't exist I would have to be independent and just process claims.

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Shop around. Get at least 5 quotes. Check the big boys and research online for lesser known companies.

Get a mix of term and whole if you can swing it.

Get the one where you can draw against it, I forgot what it's called, but my boy pays into it each month then draws against it to pay living expenses...somehow it's like paying your normal bills with the additional benefit of having life insurance coverage. There's YouTube videos on how to do this.
Do you brothers have any tips on getting life insurance? Would appreciate any advice or tips on that for the whole family.