Does Anybody Here Have A 1998 or 1999 Honda Accord?

Megatron X

A Prophet of Doom
BGOL Investor
I am asking cause I got a 98 Maxima and I was thinking of getting a second car. I like both brands but I heard that the 1998/1999 Accords have transmission problems. Many times I look at Accords going for cheap, it's always something with the tranny. From my observations, when they hit over 100,000 miles the tranny problems begin. I know that the 94-97 generation Accords are the best and don't have a bad rep but if that is true about the 98/99 I'll just stick with my Max.

:dance:

wantyme

Star
Registered
I am asking cause I got a 98 Maxima and I was thinking of getting a second car. I like both brands but I heard that the 1998/1999 Accords have transmission problems. Many times I look at Accords going for cheap, it's always something with the tranny. From my observations, when they hit over 100,000 miles the tranny problems begin. I know that the 94-97 generation Accords are the best and don't have a bad rep but if that is true about the 98/99 I'll just stick with my Max.

still driving my 98, while all my friends who bought their max's, altima, etc...around the same time had their shyts break down. mine is paid for and running great. just wheels and a battery change or two. my sister's ex boyfriend was a mechanic and he said honda's are the easiest for the the mechanic and cheapest for the consumer to work on.

Mr. Del

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
They do have tranny problems. Stay the fuck away from 1998-2003 Accords.

If you type honda accord in google, it will auto-complete 'transmission problems'. It's that common. I had an '02 Accord in 07-08 and had to deal with the tranny slipping often. The fucked up part about it is that Honda won't even acknowledge the problem... no factory recall or nothing. So if your warranty runs out, you're fucked.

The best they would do is give you a goodwill adjustment, but you still have to come up with at least $1500 to rebuild the tranny.

STAY AWAY!!

lexdiamonnyc

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
damn son, times that rough???

you shopping for 10yr old HONDA's???:smh:
I hope shit gets better for you bruh!!!

TBone

Star
Registered
I have a 98' Civic with 425,000 miles on it and still going strong.

BenQ

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
People kill me on here.

Some of those older cars are the best to have.
they dont wanna hear it

they ballin

ross.jpg

Megatron X

A Prophet of Doom
BGOL Investor

:eek::eek::eek:

Damn. You got that many miles? Where the hell you been driving to? But the questions I asked is about the 1998 and some stupid niggas are more concerned that I was into older cars.

gameboy

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
if you circled the earth everyday, you still shouldn't have 425k miles on a gotdamn '98,,, the fuck is going on with your mileage man?

BDR

BeatDownRecs
BGOL Investor
Yeah the 98/99 Accords do have transmission problems in the automatic however the manuels are the best and u wouldn't have to worry about a slipping transmission ever again.

I got a 99 Maxima and I swaped out the auto transmission for a manuel. Best decision I ever made.

So now I got my G35 sedan and maxima sedan

slewdem100

Rising Star
OG Investor

tranny problems are with the V6's of that time period. They used a Yamaha supply unit that fucked up their rep until they built their own starting with the 03 Accord.
I know that Honda was replacing the tranny on the Acura TL of that time, I am not sure if they did that with the Accord.

KTD

Star
Registered
tranny problems are with the V6's of that time period. They used a Yamaha supply unit that fucked up their rep until they built their own starting with the 03 Accord.
I know that Honda was replacing the tranny on the Acura TL of that time, I am not sure if they did that with the Accord.

:eek::eek::eek:

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
I swear half of you dudes don't know what the fuck a 98 or 99 Accord is

As if you don't see these on the road

accord_98-2002_1JS_PakWheels(com).jpg

c980616_3.jpg

The Accord is one of the top three most popular cars on the road

I had an Accord and my boy, with no transmission problems. I drove a lot and built up over 200,000 on it. If you google any fuckin thing saying transmission problems, a list will come up. That's what a search is for :smh:

And a clunker is a car with less than 18 mpg :smh:
Dudes stay talking about shit they don't know about frontin like they're Jay-Z or Oprah on a fuckin message board.

DeadWrong

Potential Star
Registered
I got a 2000 Honda Accord V6 with 170,000 mi on it right now, NEVER had a transmission problem. I had the timing belt changed at 100K to avoid issues and I change my transmission fluid every 15K mi and I ONLY use Honday fluid for that.

Just my experience... I have a real long commute to work, so it doesn't make much sense to get something new right now because I'd bring the value down so quick.

Megatron X

A Prophet of Doom
BGOL Investor

I am somewhat familiar with the engine swapping. I heard that some Mini cars have Mitsubishi engines. I heard that Jaguar uses I think Ford Engine or transmissions. But is the Tranny problem with the 1998 Accords with V6s or do all 1998 Accords have V6s? If it's the ones without V6 engines I should get? They say that V6 engines are supposed to be more powerful than the four cyclinder.

BDR

BeatDownRecs
BGOL Investor
I am somewhat familiar with the engine swapping. I heard that some Mini cars have Mitsubishi engines. I heard that Jaguar uses I think Ford Engine or transmissions. But is the Tranny problem with the 1998 Accords with V6s or do all 1998 Accords have V6s? If it's the ones without V6 engines I should get? They say that V6 engines are supposed to be more powerful than the four cyclinder.

V6 is more powerful but a 4cy gets you way better gas mileage. Whats important to you? dipping from ninjas when the light turns green or getting 35mpg in a midsize sedan?

DJ

BGOL Legend
Certified Pussy Poster
My girlfriend had an 00' Accord and put over 160k miles on it in 6 years, I drove that joint to the Chi from NJ 3 times in the same year. She traded it in for a Murano, but we never had any major issues with the car, I would definetly get another Accord. No tranny problems, I think we had to replace the windshield wiper, themostat, and tires other than that ran like a champ.

Duval404

Star
BGOL Investor
My lady has an 00 accord..she bought it brand new..the transmission DOES jerk and slip but hasnt went out. NO major problems at all other than the occasional jerk when u accelerate from zero. I had my mechanic look at it and was told until it goes out dont get it serviced. I have two homeboys that have the same year but the 4 door model and both experience this but their transmission havent went out yet. I had to replace the starter yesterday and besides that no problems what so ever.

Megatron X

A Prophet of Doom
BGOL Investor
I just did a little research, and there are two kind of 1998 Accords: the V6 and the four cylinder. So far from my understanding, don't get the V6 cause they used the Yamaha motor to upgrade from a 4 cylinder to a V6. But I should not have a problem with the four cylinder cause they used the genuine Honda Motor. Am I right?

TEE HEE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
My lady has an 00 accord..she bought it brand new..the transmission DOES jerk and slip but hasnt went out. NO major problems at all other than the occasional jerk when u accelerate from zero. I had my mechanic look at it and was told until it goes out dont get it serviced. I have two homeboys that have the same year but the 4 door model and both experience this but their transmission havent went out yet. I had to replace the starter yesterday and besides that no problems what so ever.
Same shit here. 98 coupe That muthafucka keeps goin. Only gas and oil. Bought it last year with 119K on it and it was jerking and slippin, has 138K on it now still jerking but 33mpg and no repairs, only tires. Oh and 2 RE 12's ported and 1200 watts at 1ohm.:yes:

jediknight

Support BGOL
Registered

it's true. 98-03 accords are known for the tranny problems. i had one and i know first hand......

trstar

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Second gen Acura Tls (99 - 03) are KNOWN for transmission issues about a 100k miles.

Check the Acura fan message boards to confirm.

Maxxam

Rising Star
Platinum Member

I have a 98 and the transmission fucked up in 06 and I only had about 60K miles on the car:smh::smh::smh:

Honda of Oakland replaced it free of charge :dance::dance::dance:

Ask for Sammy Velasco, and he will take care of you :yes::yes::yes: