Deshaun Watson traded to Browns

Dark19

Zod's Son
BGOL Investor
Vermeil Said Some Disrepectful Putting a Black Man in a Boy's Place Shit About His Runing Back When He Was in KC If I Recall :angry:

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Two things that are glaring to me:

a. The people ripping Watson always skip over the fact that he was lied to.

b. Is Matt Stafford getting smoke? He did the exact same thing.

Exactly - Stafford did the same thing but is getting no smoke..

And we all know the real problem in Houston is this idiot - Jack Easterby

If the owner doesn't come to grips, Easterby is going to destroy their entire franchise....

Dark19

Zod's Son
BGOL Investor
Two things that are glaring to me:

a. The people ripping Watson always skip over the fact that he was lied to.

b. Is Matt Stafford getting smoke? He did the exact same thing.
Yet When Megatron Got Tired of Getting Beat Down In Detroit Instead of Demanding a Trade He Retired Altogether and Detroit Came After Him For His Money....They Havent Requested a Thin Dime Back From Stafford....Black Players Need to Unite and Force a Work Stoppage and File a Lawsuit Against the NFL AND The Players Union For Not Representing Them In Good Faith

SVT

Rising Star
Registered
The lions told Staffordhe was going to be traded.

he got kicked out the house.

deshaun is trying to leave the nest.

BlackGoku

Rising Star
Platinum Member
If this stuff about Carson Wentz being traded is true...If I'm Deshaun Watson, I'm asking for a stake in Ownership of whatever team I go to..

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Houston Texans president Jamey Rootes has resigned

11:47 AM ET

• Texans president Jamey Rootes has resigned from the team, it was announced Wednesday.
"The past two decades have been an amazing blessing for me and my family and I have the [McNair family] to thank for that," Rootes said in a statement. "It has been an honor to serve them in this capacity for as long as I have."

Rootes, who had spent more than 20 years with the organization, was "responsible for all business functions of the club," according to the team's website.

"We sincerely appreciate Jamey's multiple contributions to the Texans franchise over his tenure and look forward to seeing him succeed in his new ventures," Texans chairman and CEO Cal McNair said in a statement. "We will now build upon this foundation and move forward with a bold and unwavering commitment to winning championships, creating memorable experiences for our fans, and doing great things for Houston."

The Texans are in the middle of an organizational overhaul that started when McNair fired head coach and general manager Bill O'Brien in October. This offseason, they were replaced by general manager Nick Caserio and head coach David Culley.

Rootes did not like the direction that the Texans organization, with executive vice president Jack Easterby, was going, and Rootes' input on the new general manager hire was not valued or counted, sources told ESPN on Wednesday.

The changes to the organization came after quarterback Deshaun Watson had said at the end of the season that the Texans have "no real foundation" and need a "whole culture shift."

Although Watson has requested a trade, it appears that the Texans are trying to address those concerns.

In his introductory news conference, Caserio was asked how the Texans' culture could be improved.

"We're looking to the future," Caserio said. "We're trying to build. So we're going to take inventory of what we have in place. We're going to spend time with the staff, talk with them, and figure out how we want to construct this. Ultimately, I wasn't here for that but have some understanding of what has happened.

"But our responsibility is to try to move forward, because each year everybody starts over kind of from the same platform, right? So we're kind of starting over, right? We're starting our process to build the 2021 Houston Texans roster, and that's what we're going to do."

Last week, the Texans fired director of football administration Kevin Krajcovic, equipment manager Mike Parson and vice president of football operations Doug West.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Matthew Stafford says trade request from Detroit Lions was 'hardest conversation I've ever had,' surprised he landed with Los Angeles Rams
play
Dan Orlovsky sees Matthew Stafford having a big season with the Rams in 2021. (1:46)
9:39 AM ET

• Michael RothsteinESPN Staff Writer

Matthew Stafford said his decision to request a trade from the Detroit Lions, where he had spent his entire career, was "probably the hardest conversation I've ever had in my life."

Stafford spoke to two Detroit media outlets -- WDIV and the Detroit Free Press -- in his first public comments since the Lions agreed to trade their franchise quarterback to the Los Angeles Rams last month for Jared Goff and three draft picks.

Stafford told the Free Press that he and his wife, Kelly, started having conversations about the possibility of leaving Detroit before the 2020 season if there was a regime change.

"It was one of those things where, you know, we were hoping that -- golly, let's go, I hope this thing takes off and we play great," Stafford told the Free Press. "But if it doesn't, you just knew what was going to happen. They were going to tear it down and rebuild.
"And anytime you switch GMs and a head coach, you know that they're going to want to bring their own people in, and that's going to take time. And I, frankly, didn't feel like I was the appropriate person to oversee that time."

Stafford met with team president Rod Wood and owner Sheila Ford Hamp just after the season to have the conversation. The Lions were open to his request and started seeking out trade partners after the team hired Brad Holmes to be general manager and Dan Campbell as head coach.
Stafford told the Free Press he initially thought he would be heading to the Indianapolis Colts, San Francisco 49ers or Washington Football Team -- all obvious landing spots looking for a quarterback. He actually didn't think the Rams would be a team that could pull off a big trade.

"I'm not a salary cap guru," Stafford told the Free Press. "It kind of got to a point where I'm like, 'OK, I can't sit there and go crazy.' I just tried to let it happen. And L.A. aggressively jumped into it."

Stafford said he and Kelly were in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, when the trade occurred. Just before the deal, he ran into Los Angeles offensive lineman Andrew Whitworth, who joked to Stafford that the Rams would "make a run" at him.

Whitworth was right, and within 24 hours, the deal was done.

"We were excited for a new start, excited for the whole process of being on the trading block to be over," Stafford said. "Now we had a place. We knew where we were going. I was excited about their roster and their coaching staff and what they can bring to the table and their recent success.

"But at the same time, it was a close of the door in Detroit. At that moment it was real."

Stafford leaves Detroit as the Lions' franchise-record holder in every major passing category, including yards (45,109) and touchdowns (282). He said he played this past season through a partially torn UCL in his right thumb, a torn UCL in his left elbow, cartilage damage on one of his ribs, a tear in the back of his left knee and a subtalar right ankle sprain.

Now he leaves for Los Angeles and a new start, grateful for how the Lions handled the separation.

"Sometimes it's not the perfect storybook ending in the same place," Stafford said. "But I can leave here knowing that I gave this team every damn thing I had."

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Matthew Stafford says trade request from Detroit Lions was 'hardest conversation I've ever had,' surprised he landed with Los Angeles Rams
play
Dan Orlovsky sees Matthew Stafford having a big season with the Rams in 2021. (1:46)
9:39 AM ET

• Michael RothsteinESPN Staff Writer

Matthew Stafford said his decision to request a trade from the Detroit Lions, where he had spent his entire career, was "probably the hardest conversation I've ever had in my life."
Stafford spoke to two Detroit media outlets -- WDIV and the Detroit Free Press -- in his first public comments since the Lions agreed to trade their franchise quarterback to the Los Angeles Rams last month for Jared Goff and three draft picks.
Stafford told the Free Press that he and his wife, Kelly, started having conversations about the possibility of leaving Detroit before the 2020 season if there was a regime change.
"It was one of those things where, you know, we were hoping that -- golly, let's go, I hope this thing takes off and we play great," Stafford told the Free Press. "But if it doesn't, you just knew what was going to happen. They were going to tear it down and rebuild.
"And anytime you switch GMs and a head coach, you know that they're going to want to bring their own people in, and that's going to take time. And I, frankly, didn't feel like I was the appropriate person to oversee that time."
Stafford met with team president Rod Wood and owner Sheila Ford Hamp just after the season to have the conversation. The Lions were open to his request and started seeking out trade partners after the team hired Brad Holmes to be general manager and Dan Campbell as head coach.
Stafford told the Free Press he initially thought he would be heading to the Indianapolis Colts, San Francisco 49ers or Washington Football Team -- all obvious landing spots looking for a quarterback. He actually didn't think the Rams would be a team that could pull off a big trade.
"I'm not a salary cap guru," Stafford told the Free Press. "It kind of got to a point where I'm like, 'OK, I can't sit there and go crazy.' I just tried to let it happen. And L.A. aggressively jumped into it."
Stafford said he and Kelly were in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, when the trade occurred. Just before the deal, he ran into Los Angeles offensive lineman Andrew Whitworth, who joked to Stafford that the Rams would "make a run" at him.
Whitworth was right, and within 24 hours, the deal was done.
"We were excited for a new start, excited for the whole process of being on the trading block to be over," Stafford said. "Now we had a place. We knew where we were going. I was excited about their roster and their coaching staff and what they can bring to the table and their recent success.

"But at the same time, it was a close of the door in Detroit. At that moment it was real."
Stafford leaves Detroit as the Lions' franchise-record holder in every major passing category, including yards (45,109) and touchdowns (282). He said he played this past season through a partially torn UCL in his right thumb, a torn UCL in his left elbow, cartilage damage on one of his ribs, a tear in the back of his left knee and a subtalar right ankle sprain.
Now he leaves for Los Angeles and a new start, grateful for how the Lions handled the separation.
"Sometimes it's not the perfect storybook ending in the same place," Stafford said. "But I can leave here knowing that I gave this team every damn thing I had."

you SEE the bullsh*t narrative they painting right?

the white QB - it is SO DIFFICULT FOR ME TO SPEAK UP TO MY BOSS, I AGONIZED over it. AND they give me EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED

D. Watson?

Ungrateful spoiled black athlete

damn must be f*cking nice.

@jack walsh13 @ansatsusha_gouki

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
you SEE the bullsh*t narrative they painting right?

the white QB - it is SO DIFFICULT FOR ME TO SPEAK UP TO MY BOSS, I AGONIZED over it. AND they give me EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED

D. Watson?

Ungrateful spoiled black athlete

damn must be f*cking nice.

@jack walsh13 @ansatsusha_gouki
Yup. Total bullshit. Although to be fair I haven't heard many speak negatively about Watson mainly because the Texans completely fucked EVERYTHING up so badly

yhh1m2.jpg

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

NFL insider notes: Don't underestimate David Tepper and the Panthers in the Deshaun Watson sweepstakes

David Tepper's desire to land Deshaun Watson is something to watch if the quarterback is indeed on the trade block

By Jason La Canfora

There remains some confusion as to what was actually reported, or speculated, or just plain made up about the Carolina Panthers and some trade offer for Deshaun Watson earlier this week.

But I can assure you of this much: Carolina is beyond smitten with Watson and owner David Tepper is fairly consumed by the prospect of landing him and no matter what happens with this transcendent young quarterback (and I still believe he is dealt at some point), the Panthers are going to play some role in the process. They might not be able to secure him, ultimately, and others clearly possess higher draft capital, but when it comes to Watson, Tepper's aim is true and their desire is real.

Tepper, a billionaire's billionaire, has been more patient with this franchise to this point than many had anticipated. But that by no means should fool one into thinking he is a particularly patient man by nature, and the team's front office shake-up last year is certainly indicative of that. The Panthers are entering their second year under coach Matt Rhule, and Tepper is ready and eager to spend to try to have his bottom-10 club (5-11) make significant gains after mostly just tinkering and tweaking and trying to rebuild through the draft to this point.

Most to the point, I'm told that Tepper is over the idea of a "game-manager" at the quarterback position, and ready to pounce on the best proven, young, elite passer that potentially could be available, and that has him fixed on Watson for a multitude of reasons. Tepper, sources said, is over having to watch his team operate with Cam Newton navigating through injuries, or Kyle Allen trying to display he is more than a lower-tier backup, or Teddy Bridgewater dink-and-dunk and protect the football, with clear limitations as to how bold and adventurous a downfield attack would be.

Now, entering his fourth season at the helm, and having spent the majority of his time as a Steelers' minority investor watching Ben Roethlisberger play the position with abandon and cunning on his way to a Hall of Fame career, Tepper is done with the caretaker, band-aid, we'll see model of quarterback. He's made it clear to those in the organization, and to his confidants around the NFL, that he wants desperately to upgrade into the penthouse of quarterbacks, believing it to be the most critical element to elevating the team to the heights – both in the standings and financially – that he seeks to soar.

And Watson, sources said, is far and away his guy.

Never underestimate the nexus of business and sport, and Tepper purchased this club - basically in cash – due in no small degree to his vision of the Panthers as a true regional anchor. He saw them as a team that, if managed properly, could draw fans from multiple states and their name "Carolina," and not "Charlotte," or "North Carolina," already spoke to that model. This should be the team for all of the Carolinas and beyond, filling a void between Atlanta and Washington, and Tepper quickly began making immediate infrastructure allowances to that end.

Announcing he would be moving the team's practice facility across the border, into South Carolina, where it already had been holding training camp, was a strong nod in that direction. Giving Rhule the kind of money and term on his contract unlike what most first-time NFL coaches garner (even accomplished college coaches), was another (this is SEC country, after all, and college fandom runs deeper than the pro ties by and large in that region). Securing face-of-the-franchise Christian McCaffrey to a record deal for a running back was another, and landing Watson would be the crown jewel.

One need only recall where Watson played his college ball – just down the road in South Carolina at Clemson – to see why he would have a particular appeal for this franchise. How better for Tepper to further build his brand as the team for all of the Carolinas and beyond, than by luring the most accomplished NFL quarterback in franchise history, still not yet even in his prime, already secured to a long-term contract which the Texans did the work of negotiating for you?

Makes sense, right?

Short of having the first-overall pick and being able to select Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence with it, this trade would be the absolute best move Tepper could execute to that end. And after sitting through the laborious process of draft-and-develop, those who know Tepper well believe future first-round picks are merely burning a hole in his pocket when it comes to the opportunity to pry Watson out of Texas. That won't hold the Panthers back in the least, with the eighth-overall selection this spring merely an appetizer.

And while I don't believe the Panthers have in fact offered three first-round picks, plus McCaffrey, for Watson … I absolutely believe they would make that transaction in an instant. Don't expect the Texans to seriously entertain moving Watson until much closer to the draft – all the better to keep trying to drive the price up – but if/when they do, the Panthers will be motivated to make it happen. Yes, the Jets and Dolphins, for starters, may have more additional draft capital, but I suspect the Panthers will be willing to get quite creative (including emerging pass rushing force Brian Burns in any package may be even more attractive than McCaffrey, though that dual-threat running back could certainly kick start an offensive resurgence for any young QB should the Texans prefer to draft a passer in the event Watson is in fact dealt).

Tepper is over being middling at best (7-9 is his best result with a team and staff he inherited), and the fact that the team's record is 17-31 under his ownership is lost on no one in that organization. Another year of Bridgewater at the helm is beyond unlikely at this point, even with $10M of his $17M in salary already guaranteed, and if he is there it will be because the Panthers are unable to land Watson, and the quarterback they select eighth overall is not ready to debut (this will another pandemic-compromised offseason, remember, with players unlikely to be in camp until the start of training camps, which could be truncated and/or delayed as well).

The owner is consumed with landing a true franchise quarterback, who could transform the fortunes of the team on field and off, and make Panthers games more alluring to fans and sponsors alike. Making a surge in the standings could only aid his hopes of one day securing a true state-of-the-art sports and entertainment complex – ideally with a retractable roof – worthy of hosting Super Bowls and NCAA championships, something Tepper covets.

He's already well into a $1B project for the new team headquarters, set to open in 2023, and the issue of funding for significant improvements to Bank of America Stadium has been lingering since well before Jerry Richardson was shamed into selling the franchise in the first place. A $50M project is already underway to gussy up the stadium in preparation for the arrival of an MLS franchise in 2022, and it is no secret that Tepper is eyeing a huge parcel of land near Bank of America Stadium to eventually construct the stadium of his dreams.

This is not someone accustomed to being told no, or not getting what he wants. Tepper may be the wealthiest of all NFL owners – with a net worth well around $12B, industry publications project – and when he becomes fixated on something those around him tend to notice. These construction projects take time, and public support, landing a top quarterback does not, and is far more immediate. Another necessary step in the process, one that the owner wants to begin bearing more victorious fruit.

It's been a long time since Newton was playing at an MVP level in Carolina; well before Tepper took over the franchise. Tepper wants his guy. He wants him now. Or at least, ASAP. Watson fits the description in every way possible.

So prepare to hear much more about the Panthers and the Texans quarterback as the weeks go by. Some of it might seem outlandish. Some of it not. But I'd anticipate Carolina being willing to meet quite a steep price to land Watson, and Watson's resolve to never play again for Houston cannot be discounted.

Last edited:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Deshaun Watson would lose up to $20.2 million if he sits out the 2021 season
Posted by Mike Florio on February 27, 2021, 12:24 AM EST

Getty Images
If, as it appears, quarterback Deshaun Watson will never play for the Texans again and if, as it appears, the Texans won’t trade Watson, the stage will be set for a holdout. Different numbers have emerged regarding the monetary losses that Watson would incur. Below, we’ll try to identify the full scope of the financial consequences, if Watson exercises his right under the CBA to not play in 2021.

First, if the 2021 offseason has a mandatory minicamp and if Watson skips it, he’ll be subject to a fine in the amount of $93,085.

Second, if Watson skips training camp he’d be fined $50,000 per day. With 40 days in camp and six mandatory days off, that’s 34 days that Watson would miss, at a total fine of $1.7 million.

Third, he’d be fined the amount of a regular-season game check for each preseason game he misses. At a base salary of $10.54 million, that’s $620,000 per game. If, as expected, the 2021 season has three preseason games, he’d lose another $1.86 million.

Thus, for the offseason, training camp, and preseason, Watson would incur $3.653 million in fines if he doesn’t show up.

If Watson then skips the season — and if the NFL stages 17 games — he’d lose another $11.16 million in base salary.

On top of that, skipping the season would allow the Texans to recover Watson’s signing-bonus allocation for 2021. That’s $5.4 million in money that he’d have to return.

So if my math is correct (and it rarely is), skipping 2021 would spark a total financial loss of $20.213 million.

Skipping the full year also would toll Watson’s contract. If, then, he returns in 2022, his base salary would remain $10.54 million (based on 16 games). Currently, he has a 2022 base salary of $35 million (based on 16 games). That salary would move to 2023, and Watson would make more than $24 million less in 2022 than he’s currently due to earn.

Many believe that Watson doesn’t care about the lost money. Ultimately, it’s his decision. Under the CBA, he has the absolute right to skip the season, subject to the various fines and forfeitures outlined above.

Time will tell whether it comes to that. The Texans seem to be intent on rejecting all offers and waiting Watson out. If the team blinks later, the teams quite possibly won’t get what it could get if it tried to bring maximum teams to the table now and finagle the best possible compensation package.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Report: Deshaun Watson met with David Culley, refuses to play for Texans
Posted by Michael David Smith on February 25, 2021, 3:17 PM EST

New Houston head coach David Culley got the word directly from the source: Deshaun Watson has no intention of playing for the Texans ever again.
Watson met with Culley on Friday and told him he wants to be traded, Dan Graziano of ESPN reports.

Although Watson hasn’t made that declaration publicly, it’s been clear for weeks that that is Watson’s stance. He does not want to play for the Texans and is angling for a trade.

Texans owner Cal McNair has insisted that Watson will remain a Texan, but at some point someone has to blink. The Texans could get an enormous haul of players and draft picks if they were willing to trade Watson, and with each new report that Watson remains dug in, the chances increase that the team will eventually relent and give Watson the trade he wants.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Lawyer says lawsuit filed against Deshaun Watson, who says he looks forward to clearing name
12:36 AM ET

• Sarah BarshopESPN Staff Writer

HOUSTON -- After Houston attorney Tony Buzbee said in an Instagram post Tuesday night that he has filed a lawsuit against Deshaun Watson, the Texans' quarterback put out a statement saying he looks forward to clearing his name.

Watson responded on Twitter to word of the suit, saying he rejected "a baseless six-figure settlement demand," and that this is "about clearing my name, and I look forward to doing that."

Buzbee did not specify the allegations against Watson in his post but referenced behavior with women and later told FOX 26 in Houston that "Watson went too far" with a woman who was giving him a massage.

"I have never treated any woman with anything other than the utmost respect," Watson said in his statement.

Buzbee is well-known throughout the Houston area for his law firm and unsuccessful 2019 campaign against Mayor Sylvester Turner.

EwptQoBWgAgkWUl

g0nbad real bad

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Lawyer says lawsuit filed against Deshaun Watson, who says he looks forward to clearing name
12:36 AM ET

• Sarah BarshopESPN Staff Writer

HOUSTON -- After Houston attorney Tony Buzbee said in an Instagram post Tuesday night that he has filed a lawsuit against Deshaun Watson, the Texans' quarterback put out a statement saying he looks forward to clearing his name.

Watson responded on Twitter to word of the suit, saying he rejected "a baseless six-figure settlement demand," and that this is "about clearing my name, and I look forward to doing that."

Buzbee did not specify the allegations against Watson in his post but referenced behavior with women and later told FOX 26 in Houston that "Watson went too far" with a woman who was giving him a massage.

"I have never treated any woman with anything other than the utmost respect," Watson said in his statement.

Buzbee is well-known throughout the Houston area for his law firm and unsuccessful 2019 campaign against Mayor Sylvester Turner.

EwptQoBWgAgkWUl

So the social media post is what tipped you off to a lawsuit?? The settlement you rejected I am almost certain was a take or else proposition.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
So the social media post is what tipped you off to a lawsuit?? The settlement you rejected I am almost certain was a take or else proposition.

I think Watson is just saying he didn't take it seriously cause he knew he didn't do anything and the lawyer is a clown who basically tried to threaten him. He and his camp probably didn't believe it would go much further...

And didn't receive any notice or paperwork until after this clown made a social media post.