Movie News WTF?: Dean Cain discusses if Superman has to be White & if Black Panther needs to be Black

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
DEAN CAIN SAYS BLACK PANTHER CAN BE WHITE; REACTS TO MICHAEL B. JORDAN SUPERMAN
Matt McGloinPosted: 02/28/2019 - 00:0024 Comments
Dean Cain slams a recent article which questioned if Superman needs to be white, which conveniently omitted him, by replying on Twitter, "Ummmmm... really? You’re about 25 years too late."

The actor played Superman in the ABC series Lois and Clark from 1993 to 1997 and happens to be of mixed race as he was born Dean George Tanaka, with his father being Japanese, but the article at the click-baity website CBR.com left out any mention of Dean Cain.

Cain appeared on Fox & Friends to comment on the article as well as to react to Michael B. Jordan possibly playing Superman, which saw him state he doesn't think race should be a factor and even said Black Panther could be "white, green, orange, yellow, wouldn't bother me at all."

dean-cain-superman.jpg

Dean Cain reacting to first reading the article:

Well, I laughed, obviously. I thought, well, that is kind of ridiculous. When I was first cast as Superman and we first started doing the role, the internet was in its infancy and people were posting things. Somebody posted, 'We wanted Superman not Sushiman.' Those sorts of things were going over, going crazy, things like that, because obviously my given name is Tanaka. I am a mixed race person so clearly Superman doesn't have to be white, but the fact that they just completely omitted me from that article to begin with was kind of comical. I thought it was pretty funny. So much has to be about race and gender and identity politics these days, but they need to do a little research first.

Dean Cain continues with mention he heard back from the site who updated the article:

Yeah, they updated the article to include me, and called me of 'Japanese descent.' So they said the idea behind the article was to talk about could Superman be a person of color. And of course, Superman could be a person of color. Superman is more of an ideal than it is a person, a race or a color. Superman is about truth, justice, and the American way, and I believe that. About fairness, about equality of opportunity, not outcome, about the integrity of the family unit, the sanctity of life. That's the kind of stuff that Superman always stood for, and always will.

henry-cavill-superman.jpg

Dean Cain then comments on the article having been updated to state the article is more about the question of a person of color playing Superman, with the Fox & Friendsinterviewer adding it wouldn't have mattered if they brought up Dean Cain:

I don't think there would be any controversy whatsoever. When Henry Cavill was asked to play Superman, I remember a lot of questions coming in like, 'Could a British guy play Superman. Does that feel weird?' I was like, 'He is Kryptonian. No. It's not weird that a Brit would do that.'

michael-b-jordan-superman.jpg

Cain continued by supporting the notion of Michael B. Jordan as Superman, but again says it's not about color, which the article brought up for no good reason.

There was talk of Michael B. Jordan who I know really well. Michael is a great guy and has all the qualities and all of the characteristics to play that character, play him wonderfully well. I wouldn't have blinked if Michael had played the character, but to make it about that doesn't make any sense to me.

Dean Cain is then asked about the reaction to the article and omitting him on Twitter:

The Twitter reaction, well see that's where I first heard of it. I didn't see the original article. Somebody who follows me or something like that had posted it. Twitter is pretty toxic and awful, but sometimes little jewels and gems come across. And so someone had posted it, I had seen that, and that's what brought it to my attention, and made me go back and find the article. And I just thought it was funny. It goes back to even the 'Sushi Man' comment. It's just kind of ridiculous. Look, I'm glad they updated the article, but it should have never been out there to begin with.

black-panther-movie.jpg

The interviewer then remarks, "Dean, I share your anger. We make everything about race, the color of someone's skin. If you go to the logical conclusion, should I be asking the question, can the Black Panther be played by a white guy? I mean is that where we're going with all these conversations?"

Cain replies:

Yeah, that's what it sounds like. It doesn't make any sense. I want to quote, it's even on my Twitter banner, Martin Luther King Jr.: 'I have a dream that one day little children of this nation will be judged not by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.' I believe that. I always believed that. I don't see race, color, creed. I don't see that when I consider work and jobs and things of that nature. I don't see it at all. 'Well, that's because you're white.' Well, I am not exactly 100% white and I have encountered it in my life and it is something that exists, but I don't think we should make everything about that at all. Sure Black Panther can be white, green, orange, yellow, wouldn't bother me at all.

Michael B. Jordan also responded to possibly playing Superman offering that he doesn't want to play the Kal-El / Clark Kent version, but something original such as Calvin Ellis.

DJCandle

BGOL Investor
While he's 100% right, Hollywood ain't having it until its bankable.

Til then, it is what it is.

Shoutout to Idris.

forcesteeler

Rising Star
Registered
To be fair Superman should stay white.

Just like I would not like to see black panther or blade be a white dude. I think it would be corny.

Or James Bond to be a women.

If your going to do a black Superman. Do what Sony did with Spider-Man inter the spider verse. In which you have Peter Parker and miles morales.

Just make a iteration of another character. Don’t replace Peter Parker. Just make a whole new separate character with another story line like miles morales.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Just like I would not like to see black panther or blade be a white dude. I think it would be corny.

If your going to do a black Superman. Do what Sony did with Spider-Man inter the spider verse. In which you have Peter Parker and miles morales.

Just make a iteration of another character. Don’t replace Peter Parker. Just make a whole new separate character with another story line like miles morales.

boom...

sadly it appears the internets fail to have your capacity for reason and common sense.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

but to be fair?

they would NEVER make a Black Punisher, even though it would make perfect sense.

chilibrick

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
dean cain isn't totally white so if he took his own opinion seriously he shouldn't be superman. just sayin'

"THE MAN"

Resident Cool Nerd
BGOL Investor
Once again it depends on the character. Black Panther could never be white because he was born in an African country that was never colonized. Superman is a fuckin alien so it wouldn't technically matter but I would keep certain icons the same. I prefer a new character being black instead of swapping the color of someone (Miles Morales). But if their race is not determined by their character then its fair game (Black Canary).

TimRock

Don't let me be misunderstood
BGOL Investor
Certain characters should stay White. But Superman can be black and still be found by White parents. Spiderman on the other hand, you heave to change his parents, his aunt and uncle, etc. Too much work. Just keep it simple. If the characters race is significantly linked to their heritage, ie. Black Panther, no need to change it. Characters like Shocker, Baron Mordo.... Their race doesn't matter.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
if you want a black superman and why cry if they make black panther white?
cause majority of comic book characters are cac..so whitewashing the limited amount of black characters even more is insulting especially if the historical black character roots and significance is that he is black and from a black isolated civilization..making him a ca c would literally be sarcastic in everyway

praetor

Rising Star
OG Investor
I'm not a comic book fan so I don't know the whole history, but I believe folks were saying that there was already a comic book precedent for a black superman, I don't think the same is true for a white black panther.

Mr. ISM

Official Ol' Head
BGOL Investor
I'm not a comic book fan so I don't know the whole history, but I believe folks were saying that there was already a comic book precedent for a black superman, I don't think the same is true for a white black panther.
Superman uses sunlight (specifically the yellow sun of earth, he came from a planet with a red sun) to charge his cells. This gives him abilities...this power would require melanin or a comparable substitute. That's why they say there's a precedent that says he should be black.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Superman is an alien, he's not a caucasian he only LOOKS like one. If anything of all the heroes that character (along with Dr Who) could and probably SHOULD be reimagined as anything depending on the story and writer.

But superman is the IDEAL white man so of course he wouldn't want him to change.

Changing black panther to a white guy in a catsuit in africa has already been done

wolf_rebound.jpg

The Phantom is an American adventure comic strip, first published by Lee Falk in February 1936. The main character, the Phantom, is a fictional costumed crime-fighter who operates from the fictional African country of Bangalla. The character has been adapted for television, film and video games.

and how is that any different from Tarzan or the Lone Ranger or John Carter of Mars....super white men who can go anywhere and do anything.

If ANYTHING someone needs to come up with a superhero who cuts the ideal figure who lives in europe and kicks ass and runs shit. now THAT'S a flip.

Multi - P Limited

Rising Star
Registered
Superman is an alien, he's not a caucasian he only LOOKS like one. If anything of all the heroes that character (along with Dr Who) could and probably SHOULD be reimagined as anything depending on the story and writer.

But superman is the IDEAL white man so of course he wouldn't want him to change.

Changing black panther to a white guy in a catsuit in africa has already been done

wolf_rebound.jpg

The Phantom is an American adventure comic strip, first published by Lee Falk in February 1936. The main character, the Phantom, is a fictional costumed crime-fighter who operates from the fictional African country of Bangalla. The character has been adapted for television, film and video games.

and how is that any different from Tarzan or the Lone Ranger or John Carter of Mars....super white men who can go anywhere and do anything.

If ANYTHING someone needs to come up with a superhero who cuts the ideal figure who lives in europe and kicks ass and runs shit. now THAT'S a flip.
WHOA....what? African Country from fictional Bangalla? ok...I'll use that in my future arguments. Did not know this.

mcguyver

Rising Star
OG Investor
Once again it depends on the character. Black Panther could never be white because he was born in an African country that was never colonized. Superman is a fuckin alien so it wouldn't technically matter but I would keep certain icons the same. I prefer a new character being black instead of swapping the color of someone (Miles Morales). But if their race is not determined by their character then its fair game (Black Canary).

Wasn't every person on krypton white, at least in the movie?

mcguyver

Rising Star
OG Investor

wolf_rebound.jpg

Superman is an alien Caucasian.

Shit I forgot about the phantom. Use to read this comics as a kid.

forcesteeler

Rising Star
Registered
cause majority of comic book characters are cac..so whitewashing the limited amount of black characters even more is insulting especially if the historical black character roots and significance is that he is black and from a black isolated civilization..making him a ca c would literally be sarcastic in everyway

Yeah White CACs already think blacks and colored people are taking over. Changing there Iconic Charactors to Black Would be a insult and cause a backlash.

But to be fair i would not want my Iconic Black Charactors to be White Washed or Gender Swap either. It will seem like a gimic or trying to hard to pander.

You have movies like Ghostbusters 2016 and Oceans 8, Flop or underperform because it seems like a gimic when i guess hollywood though changing the gender would help with sales.

Curtwalk

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'd like to see a black Batman, but they couldn't do that because Batman has no superpowers and relies 100% on smarts. Also, Batman is a successful buisnessman when he's not fighting crime.

If they did a black superman they'd put some "hood " shit in it. Have Kal/el land in the ghetto and get found by a single mother with 3 baby daddies. If he did have a daddy he'd be some in and out of jail deadbeat ass dude.

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor

I agree. People should just leave shit alone. Because it's all cool when they changing shit the way some want it, but what happens when Black Panther fucked with or Blade? When they make Blade a transthing, don't say shit. Thread would be 20 pages on non-binary Blade.

But they can always do twists like the spiderverse you referenced. Another black Kryptonian. The confused half-sister Blade didn't know about. Shit like that. But I'm all for leaving the original characters as is.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I'd like to see a black Batman, but they couldn't do that because Batman has no superpowers and relies 100% on smarts. Also, Batman is a successful buisnessman when he's not fighting crime.

If they did a black superman they'd put some "hood " shit in it. Have Kal/el land in the ghetto and get found by a single mother with 3 baby daddies. If he did have a daddy he'd be some in and out of jail deadbeat ass dude.

The whole Batman mythos doesn't work if he is Black.

The Wayne relationship to the city their wealth their lineage to its citizens etc is very specific to the core basics.

Nighthawk was the best black version of bruce wayne batman.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

wolf_rebound.jpg

Post of the day

:cheers: