DariusCooks 1h · As I’m ending my time in St. Louis, I have a few things to say.

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator

DariusCooks

1h ·

https://www.facebook.com/#
As I’m ending my time in St. Louis, I have a few things to say. First, I’ve had a complete blast. Thanks to everyone who came to DWDC, supported with a like, view, or share. These last few days have been wild and it’s bee super interesting to witness.
What I have to say is two-fold. It’s hard to really find the words to express how I feel. I’ll try. I feel two ways about St. Louis. The first is that I’m infuriated. Also, I’m saddened. Let me try to explain.
I feel fury because I’ve gone into 8 restaurants in St. Louis. I see a common theme - wings, Alfredo, and shrimp & grits. These items literally have the city in a chokehold. And let’s not forget egg rolls. What infuriates me is that none of it is spectacular. And before you tell me it is, let’s look at some facts.
I ate shrimp and grits from:
-4 Hens Creole Kitchen
-Elicious
-Cathy’s Kitchen
Creole with a Touch of Soul
While Cathy’s Kitchen was the best tasting, nothing was reimagined or ingenious. It was all just rather…plain. And this is what infuriates me. With all the Black-owned restaurants in St. Louis, where’s the upscale dining experience? Where are the small mom-and-pop shops specializing in things that are fresh and new? Where is the Melba’s or Blvd Bistro of St. Louis? I know there was Sweetie Pies and even that was questionable. But, where is the next generation of those who are preparing food that’s clean, fun, and interesting?
This leads me to what saddens me. The culinary industry (just like all other industries) is dependent upon fresh, new talent. I don’t mean just people in food trucks or caterers. Where are the young kats who are new to the scene and who’re using their creativity and intellect to produce amazing food that St. Louis can be proud of in a restaurant setting?
I went into B&I Eatery in St. Louis and ordered a fried chicken sandwich. A fried chicken sandwich? It was two pieces of white toast and a thin slice of barely fried chicken…and that’s it. Bread and meat. Like, if that’s what you like - cool. But, I find it hard that the people of St. Louis actually enjoy two slices of bread and a dry piece of chicken as a meal at a restaurant that costs actual US dollars.
I get it, St. Louis. You go hard for your city. You love your city. You don’t want outsiders telling you a thing about your city. And, if we do, it better not be distasteful. But, the hard reality is that even the people in St. Louis have been looking for something new, fresh, and exciting for a while. If you’ve got a gift in the culinary space in St. Louis, go after it. Your city needs you. There’s literally almost nothing here. They are waiting for exactly what you have to offer.

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator

Dante Barger is with Juwan Rice.​

3h ·
The city of St. Louis received criticism over the weekend, and in classic STL fashion, it didn’t know what to do.
I sent DariusCooks a DM to discuss his experience in the Lou and get the backstory about what he does. We also discussed other major cities and what we lack here, which holds us back from being on the same level as cities we look up to.
I’m no stranger to giving STL constructive criticism and providing feedback on things from a creator perspective. I believe that there’s a lot that we need to do in order to be considered “great” on a national level. I do love it here and want to see it on the same level as what we look up to. There are years of my life on YouTube showcasing how much I enjoy it here, but I do believe we have a lot of room for growth.
Tune into “This Isn’t My Degree” on Friday morning and listen in on our conversation. Show support for Juwan Rice and his concept Rated Test Kitchen too.
It’s on us to support the people and businesses of St. Louis, otherwise people end up leaving and finding a community that gives them that support. You can’t tell me that’s a lie, either. Let’s make STL better. Let’s continue to raise the bar. If we came together like we do when people give the city criticism, I think we’d be in a much better place.
Friday @ 8 AM CST.
Find your preferred streaming platform of choice: www.hoo.be/thisisntmydegree
380543515_10229400403409885_26717775667925496_n.jpg
381095191_10229400403769894_7443400714592663262_n.jpg
380539696_10229400405769944_8873160604692210681_n.jpg
381094198_10229400403489887_3087131460853305835_n.jpg