Conor McGregor vs Dustin Poirier - Rematch - UFC 257 - Saturday, January 23, 2021....

WorldEX

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Dustin got the best shots in, I wanted him to win because of the things he do off court. Conner legs are the same as we walked, backwards, the universe give what you wish what you wish for :roflmao3: :roflmao3:

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Dustin got the best shots in, I wanted him to win because of the things he do off court. Conner legs are the same as we walked, backwards, the universe give what you wish what you wish for :roflmao3: :roflmao3:

It’s great to see Dustin getting international shine in recent years. Especially now, like you said, with his Good Fight foundation doing good in the world. Shoutout to him, his wife, and their whole team.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
It’s great to see Dustin getting international shine in recent years. Especially now, like you said, with his Good Fight foundation doing good in the world. Shoutout to him, his wife, and their whole team.

I am completely ignorant of MMA

But I know this

Connor fights like a damn BOXER to me not an MMA fighter

Is Mcgregor stance a traditional MMA stance?

Cause leading with that leg like that so heavy

Doesn't it EXPOSE you more?

Cause it seems like kicking the legs like that is something even a complete newbie like me would know to do.

Is it because he got trained so much by manny pacquiao guys and for Mayweather?

Like I said I am ignorant so I could be completely off

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Conor McGregor breaks silence, admits he was looking past Dustin Poirier for Manny Pacquiao

McGregor spoke for the first time publicly about his upcoming trilogy bout with Poirier in Las Vegas on Saturday night
https://www.cbssports.com/writers/brian-campbell/

By Brian Campbell

Jul 8, 2021 at 1:13 pm ET3 min read

In his first interviews following a surprisingly quiet training camp ahead of Saturday's trilogy fight headlining UFC 264 in Las Vegas, Conor McGregor admitted he was looking past Dustin Poirier in their January rematch while preparing for a boxing match with Manny Pacquiao.

McGregor (22-5), who was stopped via strikes for the first time in his career just six months ago when Poirier (27-6, 1 NC) evened their rivalry with a second-round TKO, told ESPN's Stephen A. Smith on Wednesday that his mindset is completely different for their third fight this weekend at T-Mobile Arena.

"I'm coming in to kill this man," McGregor said. "I'm coming in with vicious intent here. Mortar shots. What else can I say? That's the way it is.
"I'm looking to take this man out cold."

According to McGregor, a boxing match against the eight-division champion Pacquiao was expected to take place in the spring, immediately after the second Poirier fight at UFC 257. Not only did McGregor's loss alter his future plans, but the Irish star who will turn 33 next week said he only gave Poirier the second fight due to a mixture of pity and respect.

"I pitied the man," McGregor said. "I was looking past him. I had a Manny Pacquiao camp in place."

Gone in the build to January's rematch was the trash-talking McGregor that fans had grown to equally love and hate as the biggest pay-per-view draw in the sport's history. McGregor admits now he was far too friendly to Poirier and will change that this week.

"I am a nice guy," McGregor said. "It's just about not translating it into the game. You can't be nice in this business. No matter what. It's hard to go face-to-face and want to tear through a man and then hold your son and your daughter and give them a bottle and feed them.
"In the most ruthless business of all, I am the most ruthless."

Asked why he has been so quiet publicly this training camp save for a handful of trolling tweets aimed at Poirier, McGregor told The Mac Life on Wednesday that he's "just focused, keeping the enemy in a suspended amount of terror, that's it. He paid to see my work. [Poirier is just] a corpse, it's a corpse.

"I don't give a f--- about him, to be honest. That's how I am. He's a corpse, a blank face who is going to get his ass whooped and taken out on a stretcher."

McGregor now admits the idea of crossing back over into a blockbuster boxing match, like he did in a 10th-round TKO defeat to Floyd Mayweather in 2017, is no longer on his mind. He's focused not only on winning the rivalry with Poirier, but regaining the 155-pound title he won in 2016 but never defended. It would be a fight against new champion Charles Oliveira that McGregor said he hopes to do in December inside the new Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas, home of the NFL's Raiders.

"I'm just focused on mixed martial arts, first of all," McGregor said. "The last fight was an 85 percent camp for boxing against Manny Pacquiao, that's how the fight came about. [The Poirier rematch originally] would be a charity event and not even under the UFC banner. It was just because he was a southpaw and I felt a little bit of pity for him to help him out. It went the way it went and I got a setback in there but setbacks are a beautiful thing. Defeats are the secret of success and it put me exactly where I need to be.

"The only difference between the [second] Nate Diaz fight [in 2016] and this fight is that I'm throwing kill shots now. Every shot I have thrown in this camp is a kill shot. That's it, I'm going to kill this man."

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
I JUST read them

they really should show this on ESPN

it was eerie as f*ck

episode of Black Mirror eerie.

Playa - I hear you on that.

Side note, but related ... you ever had any of those moments in life (good or bad) wherein you visualize something happening before it does? It's always great when something good happens. But when things go bad ... watch out.

One of the best instances of this was on a roadtrip decades back with dad, bro, and grandpa. We're on the freeway and ahead in traffic there's a pick-up truck with small trailer going WAY too fast. Dad says to us he's gonna stay back as the guy's an accident waiting to happen. That trailer isn't gripping the road properly. Low and behold, the trailer eventually jackknifes and veers the truck off the road and the guy rolls it and is upside down, but OK. We pull over ... and run over to assist the guy and pull him out. We signaled for someone to get assistance or make the call ... it was the 90s ... he, nor us, had phones on us.

Still remember my dad saying he was gonna slow down and keep his distance ... didn't want to be anywhere near the guy WHEN he crashed. But close enough to assist in the eventuality ...

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Playa - I hear you on that.

Side note, but related ... you ever had any of those moments in life (good or bad) wherein you visualize something happening before it does? It's always great when something good happens. But when things go bad ... watch out.

One of the best instances of this was on a roadtrip decades back with dad, bro, and grandpa. We're on the freeway and ahead in traffic there's a pick-up truck with small trailer going WAY too fast. Dad says to us he's gonna stay back as the guy's an accident waiting to happen. That trailer isn't gripping the road properly. Low and behold, the trailer eventually jackknifes and veers the truck off the road and the guy rolls it and is upside down, but OK. We pull over ... and run over to assist the guy and pull him out. We signaled for someone to get assistance or make the call ... it was the 90s ... he, nor us, had phones on us.

Still remember my dad saying he was gonna slow down and keep his distance ... didn't want to be anywhere near the guy WHEN he crashed. But close enough to assist in the eventuality ...

Salute Papa H-Funk

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Is Mcgregor stance a traditional MMA stance?

Cause leading with that leg like that so heavy

Doesn't it EXPOSE you more?

Great take, Playa. Yeah ... the stance is definitely unconventional. He prides himself on his striking, and has a great arsenal of kicks in his own right (head and body), but isn't known to be a leg kicker (as much as other high level guys). Some of the very best kickers in MMA are guys like Edson Barboza and Justin Gaethje. Some excellent highlights of theirs on Youtube DEMOLISHING people. That's one of those things too which everyone missed out on back in 2015 with the big Aldo-McGregor title fight. It only lasted 13 seconds with the quick McG KO win, but Aldo is known for being a GREAT kicker. A soccer background. He didn't get a chance to shine and showcase his entire skill set in there. Conor got very lucky getting out of there quickly and uninjured. Even Chad Mendes on short notice earlier that year put up a tougher fight which lasted nearly 2 rounds.

Jose Aldo ... one of the GOATs in the sport's history was really unlucky. Would have loved to have seen them fight 2 or 3 times.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Salute Papa H-Funk

Thanks man. Yeah - pops is a solid dude. 34 years as a firefighter. He's been on scene at many crash sites ... he doesn't get flustered. It was definitely scary seeing the guy upside down ... with gas leaking from the side of the vehicle. Fortunately he wasn't projected outside of the vehicle alongside the freeway. He was buckled in and shaken up ... but alright.

Pops retired around 2009-2010.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Great take, Playa. Yeah ... the stance is definitely unconventional. He prides himself on his striking, and has a great arsenal of kicks in his own right (head and body), but isn't known to be a leg kicker (as much as other high level guys). Some of the very best kickers in MMA are guys like Edson Barboza and Justin Gaethje. Some excellent highlights of theirs on Youtube DEMOLISHING people. That's one of those things too which everyone missed out on back in 2015 with the big Aldo-McGregor title fight. It only lasted 13 seconds with the quick McG KO win, but Aldo is known for being a GREAT kicker. A soccer background. He didn't get a chance to shine and showcase his entire skill set in there. Conor got very lucky getting out of there quickly and uninjured. Even Chad Mendes on short notice earlier that year put up a tougher fight which lasted nearly 2 rounds.

Jose Aldo ... one of the GOATs in the sport's history was really unlucky. Would have loved to have seen them fight 2 or 3 times.

OK I got some research to do.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
edson-barboza-terry-etim-ufc-142-screengrab.jpg

06_Barboza_Etim_01.jpg

decade-barboza-etim-heads-noobs.jpg

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
damn you for leading me down this rabbit hole bro

:furious::furious::furious:

If you want some great MMA highlights from over the years ... Youtube names like Anthony Pettis, Justin Gaethje, Edson Barboza, Dustin Poirier, Jon Jones, GSP (or Georges St. Pierre), Jose Aldo, Demetrius Johnson (or Mighty Mouse), Max Holloway, etc.

:roflmao3: :cheers: