Bush (dis)Misses NAACP for 5th time/Republican apology to blacks over inciting Racism

Dolemite

Star
Registered
Bush misses NAACP meeting for fifth year
President addresses Indiana Black Expo.

Published Friday, July 15, 2005

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - President George W. Bush tried to woo blacks in a supportive Indiana crowd yesterday while for the fifth time skipping the NAACP annual convention.

Bush hasn’t spoken to the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People’s convention since he first ran for president in 2000 and the NAACP National Voter Fund ran an ad that portrayed him as unsympathetic to the dragging death of a black man in Texas.

Instead he has reached out to minority audiences less critical of his policies. This year, he accepted an invitation to speak to the Indiana Black Expo, which presented him with a lifetime achievement award for his efforts to help former prisoners become productive members of society and other programs benefiting minorities.

White House Press Secretary Scott McClellan said Bush had already accepted the invitation to speak in Indianapolis when the NAACP asked him to speak at its convention in Milwaukee. McClellan said it’s too soon to say whether Bush will attend the convention next year in the District of Columbia - an invitation that NAACP Chairman Julian Bond announced Sunday, a year in advance.

The NAACP selected a new president, retired Verizon executive Bruce Gordon, who has pledged to build relationships with the White House. McClellan said he was certain that Bush would find time to sit down for a talk with Gordon.

Copyright 2005 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed

---------------------------------

Republican apology to blacks on voting issue
Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:34 PM ET

By John Rondy

MILWAUKEE (Reuters) - The head of the Republican Party issued a sweeping apology to American blacks on Thursday for a decades-old practice of writing off their vote and using racial polarization to win elections.

Republican Chairman Ken Mehlman said civil rights legislation pushed by Democratic President Lyndon Johnson in the 1960s solidified black support for that party for decades after that "and we Republicans did not effectively reach out."

"Some Republicans gave up on winning the African-American vote, looking the other way or trying to benefit politically from racial polarization," he added. "I am here as Republican chairman to tell you we were wrong."

Mehlman was the highest-ranking Republican to address the convention of the NAACP, the oldest and largest U.S. civil rights organization, an annual meeting that President Bush has declined invitations to since he took office. He has spoken to selected black audiences.

NAACP leaders have been critical of Bush for not appearing before them. While he did speak to the group when he was running for his first term, he has not returned, something that has not happened with a sitting president in more than 70 years.

Appeals by Mehlman and Democratic Chairman Howard Dean to the NAACP referenced next year's congressional elections and the battle for the White House in 2008, with both party leaders claiming their parties had the power to make black votes count most.

Dean, who shook up his party with a failed bid for the presidential nomination last year, said, "We have a Democratic Party that is going to go back to what it used to be by standing up for right and not being afraid and never deserting the people who brought us to the dance."

"Never again will we take another African-American vote for granted," he said.

He warned that the one-time Republican "Southern strategy" -- using racial issues to appeal to white voters in the once solidly Democratic South -- lives today, but in different forms that plays on issues ranging from gay rights to anti-immigrant sentiment.

"The one thing we will never do is divide Americans to win elections," the former Vermont governor said. If the Democratic Party is ever to be whole again, he said, it needs to use the model of the NAACP to become the conscience of the nation.

Dean and Mehlman spoke back-to-back. Melhman drew some applause but in general got a more tepid response, including a few groans and hoots.

Asked by reporters after he spoke whether Bush's presence would have given the Republican message more weight, Mehlman noted the president was speaking on Thursday to the Black Expo in Indianapolis. "It's not simply who you speak to, it's what you speak about," he said.

But Hilary Shelton, director of the NAACP's Washington branch, said Bush was "missing a golden opportunity by not being with the NAACP to talk with us about the issues and concerns that are important to us and our community."

------------------------------------------------------------

Rush Limbaugh Blasts RNC Chairman For Olive Branch To Blacks
by Joe Gandelman

Once upon a time there was a Republican National Committee. It wanted to defuse tensions with a group called the NAACP, and offer this as a kind of olive branch to black Americans. But then a big, bad broadcaster opposed this overture — this overture that was clearly a (rare) sign of an effort to combat at least a small bit of a monster called polarization that had taken hold of a country called the United States. And since this broadcaster had so many loyal listeners who would immediately adjust their very thinking to whatever he said, his opposition could be expected to make things more difficult to officially ease these longstanding tensions.

Who is this broadcaster seemingly standing in the schoolhouse door as the GOP leadership attempts to enter and start a dialogue with black Americans? Rush Limbaugh, of course:

Nationally syndicated radio host Rush Limbaugh blasted Republican National Committee (RNC) chairman Ken Mehlman's plans to apologize for his party's notorious Southern Strategy at the annual convention of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP). Responding to Mehlman's planned renunciation of the race-based electoral strategy, Limbaugh accused Republicans of planning "to go bend over and grab the ankles."

Though President Bush has refused to speak to the NAACP throughout his presidency, Mehlman's July 14 speech to the NAACP renounced Republican efforts to capitalize politically on white Southerners' backlash against civil rights-era legislation. In his prepared remarks, Mehlman said, "Some Republicans gave up on winning the African-American vote, looking the other way or trying to benefit politically from racial polarization. I am here today as the Republican chairman to tell you we were wrong."

In discussing the topic, Limbaugh — whom Bush described as a "good friend" in an August 2004 appearance on Limbaugh's show — referred repeatedly to the group as the "NAALCP," which he has explained stands for the "National Association for the Advancement of Liberal Colored People."

It's truly sad what has happened to Rush Limbaugh over the years.

He became a national smash hit when the first President Bush was on the scene. Limbaugh had screechingly funny song satires, a playful joy for the outrageous and the un-PC and unmatched broadcast sarcastic political schtick. No, he didn't blast both sides, but there was no one like him on the radio. And he blasted the first President Bush — until Mr. Bush was smart enough to invite Limbaugh to sleep over in the Lincoln bedroom. This (former) listener and others noted the BIG change in his show after that.

Suddenly, Rush became Mr. GOP Establishment Talking Points — the most powerful GOP operative in the country and very much aware of his vital status. His power seemingly increased with each GOP issue and electoral victory, solidifying his status as one of the most powerful (and in terms of broadcast ability talented) broadcasters in American history.

But for many who are NOT partisans — and even to some partisans, from what these GOPers tell us — he is now unlistenable due to his predictability. He needs a new schtick.

Hopefully this isn't it. Forgetting for a moment who'd politically benefit, anything the GOP could do to defuse even a tiny part of the cancer called polarization infecting this country is laudable. And while it is 100 percent within Limbaugh's right to urge the GOP bigwigs who bow down to and woo him not to conceed anything to the NAACP at all, in terms of NATIONAL political interest Limbaugh's comments don't do any more than again illustrate that he isn't the wave of the radio or political future.

It's all a pity because the original Rush Limbaugh — hated then by liberals as he is hated now — did do often unpredictable satire and didn't take himself too seriously. The old Rush would probably make a joke out of the GOP's peace feeler, using irony. Perhaps this inability to chill out and look at the bigger picture is why Limbaugh's ratings, though still still MEGA, reportedly aren't trending well as well as in the past. And he is clearly no longer considered the talker on the ascent.

code_pirahna

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The sky being blue and George W. Bush being a racist are 2 things that I can count on in the morning.

respiration

/ˌrespəˈrāSH(ə)n/
BGOL Patreon Investor
Re: Bush (dis)Misses NAACP for 5th time/Republican apology to blacks over inciting Ra

I wish the NAACP would take a stand and condemn this man for the lying, murderous, racist, imperialist wannabe cowboy asshole that he is.

Rush Limbaugh isn't worthy of even wasting philosophical thoughts on. He's just more of what has always existed since the foundation of this country.

J

JUju2005

Re: Bush (dis)Misses NAACP for 5th time/Republican apology to blacks over inciting Ra

Why is the NAACP always inviting BUSH???. Bush would have nothing to say but lies

mttocs

Potential Star
Registered

"I wish the NAACP would take a stand and condemn this man for the lying, murderous, racist, imperialist wannabe cowboy asshole that he is."

I think your desires are a bit ambitious. And, that might lower ratings of the next NAACP Image awards.

Dolemite

Star
Registered

Funny how the republican race baiting bullshit gets no press. I haven't seen it really addressed at all on television or most news outlets.

Havoc

Support BGOL
Registered

I'm getting an anti-Bush sentiment from most blacks. What good would it do Bush to attend next year's NAACP convention? It's rather obvious that he has nothing to gain by doing so (he's already the president, and he's in his last term!). I want to say that the NAACP should just accept the fact that he's not going to come, but on second thought, I really don't think that the NAACP expects him to show up. I think that it is just making the offer to say it did.

Dolemite

Star
Registered

Havoc said:
I'm getting an anti-Bush sentiment from most blacks. What good would it do Bush to attend next year's NAACP convention? It's rather obvious that he has nothing to gain by doing so (he's already the president, and he's in his last term!). I want to say that the NAACP should just accept the fact that he's not going to come, but on second thought, I really don't think that the NAACP expects him to show up. I think that it is just making the offer to say it did.

They expect the president to show up. The last president to not show up was Harding or something, that's a long time ago.

Bush has nothing to gain because the NAACP has very little power. The NAACP have name recognition and they can get free press coverage when they want to say something, but they haven't had shit to say for a long time. Bush is scared of addressing them otherwise he'd have done it anyway. But the fact that he has snubbed them 5 times with no political backlash has only encouraged him.

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator

Havoc said:
You make great points Bro but there is possible gain to be had by the Republican party and who more than the head of the party, the sitting president, to assist. As much as some Republicans show some piddling efforts towards our community, their efforts are being hurt by the man at the top. If the man at the top shuns me, why should I trust his underlings ???

I agree with you that the NAACP doesn't expect Bush to show, but his defiance has, thus far, made the NAACP right. But, I expect Bush to make an appearance before his term expires. New leadership with a business background (as opposed to a civil rights background) is about to take over the reins at the NAACP and I will guarandamntee Bush will appear -- which will be just about the time for an election.

QueEx

respiration

/ˌrespəˈrāSH(ə)n/
BGOL Patreon Investor

Since the NAACP is considered to be the most pre-eminent and historically important oganization for Blacks people in America, an accepted invitation from Bush would be a symbolic gesture that the Bush administration is sensitive to the concerns of African-American people. His not even attempting to go through the motions is a slap in the face to all Black people in America. Whether the NAACP intends to or not, their snubbed invitations are succeeding in exposing Bush's bigotry and B.S.

Dolemite mentioned former president Warren G. Harding was the last to turn down an invitation to the NAACP's convention. What is interesting to note is that Harding has the distinction of being the only president to have been sworn into the Ku Klux Klan --while in office.
Havoc said:

Winchesta Heat

Star
Registered

Dolemite said:
They expect the president to show up. The last president to not show up was Harding or something, that's a long time ago.

Bush has nothing to gain because the NAACP has very little power. The NAACP have name recognition and they can get free press coverage when they want to say something, but they haven't had shit to say for a long time. Bush is scared of addressing them otherwise he'd have done it anyway. But the fact that he has snubbed them 5 times with no political backlash has only encouraged him.

That's just it. No political backlash. Basically it's being said that the NAACP has "no bite". Bush is also in his last term so there is nothing for him to lose now. With an ex-Verizon exec taking over soon, the organization will no doubt undergo a makeover, and it's about time.

Deuce_Wyld

Support BGOL
Registered
Havoc said:

Ditto
You took the words right out of my mouth.
Besides Bush already made it quite clear that
he will never attend anything hosted by the NAACP
due to all the negative remarks certain members made about him.
Thats like asking Farrakan to attend the next KKK rally in Mississippi.​

mttocs

Potential Star
Registered
"Thats like asking Farrakan to attend the next KKK rally in Mississippi."

Exactly, that's what I was gonna say.

If I was President, I'd only go to the NAACP to dress them down publicly and lecture them. They are far off the beaten path.

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
<font size="4"><u>Year 6</u>

</font size>

<font size="5"><center>Bond Criticizes, Invites Bush To Convention</font size>
<font size="4">NAACP Chief Faults War and Rights Record at Convention</font size></center>

Associated Press
Monday, July 17, 2006; Page A05

Julian Bond blasted the war in Iraq and conservative attacks on voting rights, yet the NAACP's chairman last night also urged President Bush to attend the civil rights group's annual convention this week.

"This year the convention has come to the president, and we hope and pray he is coming to us," said Bond, speaking at the Washington Convention Center, about a mile from the White House.

Bush has avoided the conventions since taking office in 2001, making him the first sitting president in decades not to have spoken to the group. His schedule for Wednesday lists an event with the notation "TBA," or "to be announced."

Bond said Bush's presence would show that he hears the concerns of African Americans. "We have values, we vote our values, and we demand to be valued in return," Bond said.

More than 2,000 people gathered for the hour-long keynote speech, which kicked off the 97th convention of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.

Bond urged lawmakers to raise the minimum wage, condemned attacks on school integration and said the war in Iraq "has weakened rather than strengthened America's defenses, including our levees."

He added: "Our troops may be fighting to secure democracy abroad, but we can't secure our democracy at home."

Voting irregularities and biased laws still hit minorities hardest, said Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-D.C.).

"The United States has a ways to go before a black or brown voter has nothing to worry about when he or she goes to the polls," she said.

"We might call it voting while black," Bond said.

He called on lawmakers to renew expiring portions of the Voting Rights Act. The House voted last week to renew it, but the Senate has yet to act. NAACP members planned to lobby for the legislation on Wednesday.

Bond criticized Republicans for being unethical and said that "some of the Democrats won't take their own side in a fight."

His frustrated tone reflected the diminished status of the NAACP and other civil rights groups at a time when conservatives dominate Washington and public policy tackling racial discrimination is being dismantled.

The six-day convention also will include analysis of how well industries serve minority communities. Since 1997, the NAACP has graded banks, phone companies, hotels and other companies, and the latest report cards are to be released today.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/07/16/AR2006071601119.html?referrer=email

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
<font size="5"><center>Bush to Make First NAACP Appearance Today</font size></center>

Jul 20, 7:35 AM (ET)
Associated Press
By DEB RIECHMANN

WASHINGTON (AP) - For five years in a row, President Bush has declined invitations to address the annual NAACP convention. This year, with the Senate poised to renew the 1965 Voting Rights Act, Bush said yes.

The White House says Bush wants to address the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People on Thursday to show his commitment to civil rights.

"The president has had five years to prepare for this speech," Rep. Elijah E. Cummings, past chairman of the Congressional Black Democratic Caucus, said Wednesday. "I hope that this time, he makes it worth the wait."

Democrats have called on Bush to use his appearance to renew the Voting Rights Act. "He could sign it right here on this stage," Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, D-N.Y., told the NAACP on Wednesday, eliciting cheers from the audience.

The House voted overwhelmingly last week to extend provisions of the landmark civil rights act that President Johnson signed after violence erupted in the South over voting rights for blacks. The Senate is expected to pass it on Thursday, although probably not before Bush's midmorning appearance at the NAACP.

Every president for the past several decades has spoken to the Baltimore-based group. Until now, Bush, who received 11 percent of the black vote in 2004, had been the exception. His appearance comes in a critical midterm election year, when Republicans fear losing control of Congress.

White House press secretary Tony Snow said that while there are political differences, the NAACP's new leader, Bruce Gordon, has good relations with Bush. Gordon has met with Bush three times in the year he's headed the civil rights group. That compares to one meeting Bush had with Gordon's predecessor, Kweisi Mfume, a former Democratic congressman.

"It is clear that in this nation, racism and discrimination are legally unacceptable, but there are also residues of the past that we have to address," Snow said in previewing the speech. "We have to find ways to make sure that the road to opportunity is clear for one and all."

Snow denied claims that this was Bush's way of atoning for the government's slow response to Hurricane Katrina. The Rev. Jesse Jackson and some black elected officials alleged that indifference to black suffering and racial injustice was to blame for the sluggish reaction to the disaster. In September 2005, Bush's top advisers met with black leaders to discuss their concerns.

"I think the president wants to make his voice heard," Snow said about Bush's speech. "He has an important role to play not only in making the case for civil rights but, maybe more importantly, the case for unity."

Cummings, D-Md., said as the one-year anniversary of Hurricane Katrina approaches, Bush needs to explain what he plans to do to help the thousands of families in the Gulf Coast region who remain homeless and jobless.

He said the president also needs to address other issues of concern to blacks, including access to health care and the minimum wage, which has remained at $5.15 for nearly a decade.

"If the tax cuts are working, why then - at 9 percent - is the unemployment rate in the African American community nearly double the national rate?" Cummings asked.

---

On the Net:

The White House: http://www.whitehouse.gov

NAACP: http://www.naacp.org

http://apnews1.iwon.com//article/20060720/D8IVMLLO3.html?PG=home&SEC=news

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Bush to Make First NAACP Appearance Today said:
White House press secretary Tony Snow said that while there are political differences, the NAACP's new leader, Bruce Gordon, has good relations with Bush. Gordon has met with Bush three times in the year he's headed the civil rights group. That compares to one meeting Bush had with Gordon's predecessor, Kweisi Mfume, a former Democratic congressman.

<font size="5"><center>Gordon resigns as head of NAACP</font size>
<font size="4">He says he wanted to shift some focus away
from political advocacy toward social service</font size></center>

28238568.jpg

OUT: “I did not step into the role to be a caretaker,”
said Bruce S. Gordon. (AP)

Los Angeles Times
By Tom Hamburger and
Stuart Silverstein, Times Staff Writers
March 5, 2007

WASHINGTON — Bruce S. Gordon, a longtime business executive who took the helm of the NAACP less than two years ago, surprised followers of the civil rights organization Sunday night by announcing his resignation as president and chief executive.

Reached by telephone at his Manhattan home Sunday night, Gordon, 61, said he stepped down because he was at odds with the organization's board about his role as chief executive. He also said he faced resistance to his aim to shift some of the organization's focus from political advocacy to social service.

"I did not step into the role to be a caretaker, to be dictated to," Gordon said. "I stepped into the role to understand as best I could the needs of the African American community and then to propose strategies and policies and programs and practices that could improve conditions for African Americans…. The things I had in mind were not consistent with what some — unfortunately, too many — on the board had in mind."

Gordon added that he does not believe it is enough for the NAACP "simply to push the government … to institute policies that matter. I think it's also important for us to step out into our communities and … deliver services."

"To be totally reliant on what the government does for us, instead of also doing for ourselves what we have the capacity to do for ourselves, is, to me, too narrow a focus," he said.

Gordon said he informed the executive committee of the NAACP board two weeks ago of his plans, but that talks were initiated to work out a way for him to stay. Once he became convinced those talks wouldn't succeed, Gordon said, he decided to step down.

NAACP board Chairman Julian Bond said late Sunday that he and Gordon had known for some time that "it was a bad fit."

Bond declined to elaborate other than to say that he was "sorry he has left us. I was supportive when he was hired, and he had many qualities that we need."

One official of the organization, who requested anonymity, acknowledged that there were several vigorous discussions about the role of the National Assn. for the Advancement of Colored People and whether it should continue to fight racial discrimination as its primary purpose or push more aggressively into social service projects such as tutoring, mentoring and pregnancy counseling.

In addition, the source said, Gordon received attention for meetings with top White House officials. The board supported that outreach, but some members were frustrated that Gordon had not brought other members of the organization with him.

Bond said the NAACP, which is based in Baltimore, would immediately search for a successor who could ensure that "our mission of social justice advocacy strengthens and grows" approaching the organization's 100th anniversary in 2009. He said the search would include candidates from the nonprofit, corporate and civil rights communities.

Bond said he had named NAACP general counsel Dennis Hayes as interim president.

An official who asked not to be identified said that Hayes, who also filled in after Kweisi Mfume resigned the presidency in 2004 after nine years, was regarded as the logical choice and was widely viewed as having no aspirations for a permanent leadership role.

Gordon is expected to officially leave this month. He succeeded Mfume in August 2005, shortly after winning unanimous approval by the 64-member board.

Gordon spent 35 years at Verizon and Bell of Pennsylvania, beginning as a management trainee and finishing as president of retail markets. In 2002, Fortune magazine ranked him the sixth most powerful black executive in America.

Founded by a multiracial group of activists, the 500,000-member NAACP has long served as the nation's leading civil rights organization, monitoring equal opportunity laws and conducting voter mobilization drives. The last business figure to serve as leader of the NAACP was Walter White, an Atlanta insurance executive, from 1931 to 1955.

-------------------------------
tom.hamburger@latimes.com

stuart.silverstein@latimes.com

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationw...5mar05,0,7719801.story?coll=la-home-headlines

deputy dawg

~wait a cotton pickin' minute...
BGOL Investor
USA Today writes about it this way:

gordon-naacpx.jpg

NAACP president resigns after 19 months

NEW YORK (AP) — NAACP President Bruce S. Gordon said Sunday he is leaving the civil rights organization after just 19 months at the helm, citing clashes with board members over management style and the organization's mission as the reasons.

"I believe that any organization that's going to be effective will only be effective if the board and the CEO are aligned and I don't think we are aligned," Gordon told The Associated Press. "This compromises the ability of the board to be as effective as it can be."

Julian Bond, chairman of the board of the Baltimore-based National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, said Sunday that Gordon tried to quit just six weeks after taking the job in August 2005, but Bond convinced him to stay.

"There were occasions where it seemed just not to be a perfect fit," Bond said. "But he had many, many great qualities, and he exhibited those qualities when he worked for us. I'm disappointed that it came to this."

Gordon will give up his duties before month's end, Gordon said in a phone interview from Los Angeles, where he attended the NAACP Image Awards Friday.

Dennis C. Hayes, the group's general counsel, will serve as interim president, Bond said. Hayes filled the same role after Kweisi Mfume resigned the presidency in 2004 after nine years.

Gordon said that although the NAACP is an advocacy organization, his vision was to focus more on finding practical solutions to black America's problems.

Gordon repeatedly made clear that he wanted the NAACP to do more social service work, said Rupert Richardson, a board member from Louisiana, but board members balked.

"I think he saw his job as remaking us to make us more effective, but his job was to do what the board and management wanted," she said. "He was not a good fit for us, but he could have been."

Bond said, "Put simply, we fight racial discrimination and social service groups fight the effects of racial discrimination. Service is wonderful and praiseworthy and fabulous, but many, many organizations do it. Only a couple do justice work, and we're one of those few."

Bond has acknowledged that, with 64 members, the NAACP's board of directors is large and sometimes unwieldy. But he often says this allows a wide range of members' voices to be heard.

Gordon, 61, was a surprise pick for the NAACP's top post. When he took over, he had no track record in traditional civil rights circles. He had spent 35 years in the telecommunications industry and retired in 2003 from his post as president of the Retail Markets Group for Verizon Corp.

Critics said he wouldn't be a good fit for the nearly 98-year-old organization.

However, he smoothed strained relations between the NAACP and the White House, meeting with President Bush three times in less than a year. He used his corporate ties to lend quick assistance to black New Orleans residents after Hurricane Katrina. And he hired a number of key national employees whose reputations inspired staff members.

Gordon improved the NAACP's presence on the Internet and strengthened its ties to corporate America, Bond said Sunday.

Asked if Gordon leaves any other legacy, Bond said, "No."

Ronald Walters, a University of Maryland political science professor who has followed the NAACP closely for years, was surprised that Gordon is leaving, but said he had suspected that Gordon's business background might make it tough to switch to civil rights work.

"I thought very early on that there might be a cultural conflict," Walters said. "Somebody who came out of a corporate culture and was used to a set of agenda items and management style in one field might not have been able to make the adjustment totally to another field."

Gordon's departure throws the NAACP into disarray. Founded in 1909 by an interracial group who battled segregation and lynching, the group helped win some of the nation's biggest civil rights victories.

But the nation's racial progress has led some to question whether the NAACP remains relevant in today's political climate. The group has about 300,000 dues-paying members, Bond said, plus 100,000 non-paying members. It has run a deficit in recent years.

Now, board members must find a new leader even as they prepare for centennial celebrations in 2009 that include a $100 million fundraising goal, Bond said.

Sunday, Gordon sounded weary as he boarded a flight home to New York City.

"I don't view this as I'm right and they're wrong. I view this as I see things one way and they see things a different way," he said. "That misalignment between the CEO and the board is unhealthy."

Asked about his plans after leaving the NAACP, Gordon said: "I'm going to catch my breath."

"What I've clearly learned in my tenure here is that all is not well in black America, that's for sure," he said. "I believe I have a lot to offer. I've got to find a way to be engaged that optimizes what it is I bring to the table. My intention is not to disengage, but to find a different way."

VegasGuy

Star
OG Investor
deputy dawg said:
USA Today writes about it this way:

gordon-naacpx.jpg

NAACP president resigns after 19 months

NEW YORK (AP) — NAACP President Bruce S. Gordon said Sunday he is leaving the civil rights organization after just 19 months at the helm, citing clashes with board members over management style and the organization's mission as the reasons.

"I believe that any organization that's going to be effective will only be effective if the board and the CEO are aligned and I don't think we are aligned," Gordon told The Associated Press. "This compromises the ability of the board to be as effective as it can be."

Julian Bond, chairman of the board of the Baltimore-based National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, said Sunday that Gordon tried to quit just six weeks after taking the job in August 2005, but Bond convinced him to stay.

"There were occasions where it seemed just not to be a perfect fit," Bond said. "But he had many, many great qualities, and he exhibited those qualities when he worked for us. I'm disappointed that it came to this."

Gordon will give up his duties before month's end, Gordon said in a phone interview from Los Angeles, where he attended the NAACP Image Awards Friday.

Dennis C. Hayes, the group's general counsel, will serve as interim president, Bond said. Hayes filled the same role after Kweisi Mfume resigned the presidency in 2004 after nine years.

Gordon said that although the NAACP is an advocacy organization, his vision was to focus more on finding practical solutions to black America's problems.

Gordon repeatedly made clear that he wanted the NAACP to do more social service work, said Rupert Richardson, a board member from Louisiana, but board members balked.

"I think he saw his job as remaking us to make us more effective, but his job was to do what the board and management wanted," she said. "He was not a good fit for us, but he could have been."

Bond said, "Put simply, we fight racial discrimination and social service groups fight the effects of racial discrimination. Service is wonderful and praiseworthy and fabulous, but many, many organizations do it. Only a couple do justice work, and we're one of those few."

Bond has acknowledged that, with 64 members, the NAACP's board of directors is large and sometimes unwieldy. But he often says this allows a wide range of members' voices to be heard.

Gordon, 61, was a surprise pick for the NAACP's top post. When he took over, he had no track record in traditional civil rights circles. He had spent 35 years in the telecommunications industry and retired in 2003 from his post as president of the Retail Markets Group for Verizon Corp.

Critics said he wouldn't be a good fit for the nearly 98-year-old organization.

However, he smoothed strained relations between the NAACP and the White House, meeting with President Bush three times in less than a year. He used his corporate ties to lend quick assistance to black New Orleans residents after Hurricane Katrina. And he hired a number of key national employees whose reputations inspired staff members.

Gordon improved the NAACP's presence on the Internet and strengthened its ties to corporate America, Bond said Sunday.

Asked if Gordon leaves any other legacy, Bond said, "No."

Ronald Walters, a University of Maryland political science professor who has followed the NAACP closely for years, was surprised that Gordon is leaving, but said he had suspected that Gordon's business background might make it tough to switch to civil rights work.

"I thought very early on that there might be a cultural conflict," Walters said. "Somebody who came out of a corporate culture and was used to a set of agenda items and management style in one field might not have been able to make the adjustment totally to another field."

Gordon's departure throws the NAACP into disarray. Founded in 1909 by an interracial group who battled segregation and lynching, the group helped win some of the nation's biggest civil rights victories.

But the nation's racial progress has led some to question whether the NAACP remains relevant in today's political climate. The group has about 300,000 dues-paying members, Bond said, plus 100,000 non-paying members. It has run a deficit in recent years.

Now, board members must find a new leader even as they prepare for centennial celebrations in 2009 that include a $100 million fundraising goal, Bond said.

Sunday, Gordon sounded weary as he boarded a flight home to New York City.

"I don't view this as I'm right and they're wrong. I view this as I see things one way and they see things a different way," he said. "That misalignment between the CEO and the board is unhealthy."

Asked about his plans after leaving the NAACP, Gordon said: "I'm going to catch my breath."

"What I've clearly learned in my tenure here is that all is not well in black America, that's for sure," he said. "I believe I have a lot to offer. I've got to find a way to be engaged that optimizes what it is I bring to the table. My intention is not to disengage, but to find a different way."

Status quo isn't cutting it for Gordon. Never did. Would be interesting to get some detail as to what he saw at the organization vs what he though the focus should be. Specifically speaking.

-VG

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
VegasGuy said:
... Would be interesting to get some detail as to what he saw at the organization vs what he though the focus should be. Specifically speaking.

-VG
The reasons will ooze out. People have a way of telling things, sometimes, when its just trying to protect their position in things or their vision of things.

QueEx