Super Moderator
<font size="5"><center>Minister of Defense ignored race claims,
says soldier who set up black 'union'</font size>

<font size="4">Black soldiers attacked by white colleagues
dressed as members of the Ku Klux Klan </font size></center>

The Telegraph (London)
By Thomas Harding, Defence Correspondent
Last Updated: 1:57am GMT 08/03/2007

A soldier from the Caribbean who claims that he was attacked by white colleagues dressed as members of the Ku Klux Klan has set up a "union" to fight alleged racism in the Army.

Pte Marlon Clancy, from Belize, says his tormenters said they were going to "take the n i g g e r to burn". They also said that black soldiers should not have rights in the Forces, he claims.

Pte Clancy, a chef in the Royal Logistic Corps, told Today on Radio 4 yesterday that "Commonwealth soldiers are third-class soldiers".

He said: "First, you have the British-born white soldiers. Then you have the British-born black soldiers. Last, you have the black Commonwealth soldiers. In some units, the white soldiers will be given priority for courses over the black soldiers." He also alleged that where a Commonwealth soldier was promoted, white soldiers were told "not to follow his lead".

Pte Clancy has set up the British Commonwealth Soldiers Union, which is a union in name only because, under Queen's Regulations, troops cannot belong to a workers' organisation. Although powerless to strike or negotiate, the union will give advice to members and act as a pressure group.

"I'm hoping this will open a door to let people know their rights and give them what they are entitled to and the justice they are entitled to," he said.

Pte Clancy added that during eight years in the Army he had taken his complaints through the chain of command but they were never acted on. When he complained, he was victimised "all the more".

In the past seven years the number of serving Commonwealth troops has increased from 430 to more than 6,000 from 50 different countries.

They are vital in manning, particularly in the infantry, where recruits from Britain have been in short supply. They can apply for British citizenship after five years of service.

Last night Lt Gen Sir Freddie Viggers, the Adjutant General, who is in charge of personnel, said that while the Army did experience incidents of racism it had "an active programme of training and education to ensure that the chain of command is alive to the risks" of bad behaviour.

"I can assure you that by lunchtime today, commanding officers and sergeant majors will be looking at their organisations to make sure that if there is anything going on, it is corrected very quickly," he said.

The Ministry of Defence denied that it had ignored racism in the ranks, adding that there had been 26 complaints in the past year.

"We investigate all substantive allegations and would encourage anyone who has experienced inappropriate behaviour to come forward," said a spokesman.

It said promotion was based on merit. Analysis had shown that the prospects for Commonwealth soldiers were "broadly comparable" to those of British-born troops. There was also no evidence to suggest that ethnic soldiers were excluded from courses.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/03/08/nrace08.xml

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
<font size="5"><center>British Member of Parliament Sacked</font size>
<font size="4">Attacked Black Soldiers as "Idle and Useless" and claimed
that being subjected to slurs like "black bastard" and other
racial abuse is common, and to be expected</font size></center>

umercer.jpg

Patrick Mercer; Member
of Parliament and a former
Colonel in the British Army

The Telegraph (London)
By Sally Peck
Last Updated: 4:08pm GMT 08/03/2007

A Conservative front-bencher who accused "idle and useless" ethnic minorities in the Army of using allegations of racism as a cover for their poor performance has been forced to stand down.

Patrick Mercer, the shadow homeland security minister and a former colonel, claimed that being subjected to slurs like "black bastard" and other racial abuse is common, and to be expected, in the Armed Forces.

"I came across a lot of ethnic minority soldiers who were idle and useless, but who used racism as cover for their misdemeanours," the MP for Newark said of his time in the Army in an interview today with the Times.

A Conservative spokesman initially said the remarks were a "private matter", but later in the afternoon David Cameron asked Mr Mercer to step down, describing his comments as "completely unacceptable".

Mr Cameron has drawn fierce criticism for his party's sluggish response to the controversy.

Sadiq Khan, a Labour MP, said: "Patrick Mercer's comments are deeply shocking and so is the initial response of Cameron's HQ.

"Rather than dismissing it as a 'personal matter' David Cameron's Tory Party should have sacked him immediately. This shows that the Conservative Party has not changed."

Before announcing that Mr Mercer would be stepping down, a Conservative Party spokesman told the Daily Telegraph: "These are the personal views of a highly-decorated former officer talking about his real-life experience in the British Army."

Following his resignation, the MP for Newark said: "The offence I have obviously caused is deeply regretted ... and I can only apologise if I have embarrassed in any way those fine men whom I commanded. I have no hesitation in resigning my frontbench appointment."

Mr Mercer drew fire for his comments over an anti-racism union being set up by servicemen from Commonwealth countries, which he labelled "complete and utter rot".

He also suggested that suffering racial abuse was on par with suffering abuse over facial features, hair colour or weight.

"I had five company sergeant majors who were all black. They were without exception UK-born, Nottingham-born men who were English - as English as you and me," he told the Times.

"They prospered inside my regiment, but if you'd said to them: 'Have you ever been called a ******?' they would have said: 'Yes'. But equally, a chap with red hair, for example, would also get a hard time - a far harder time than a black man, in fact.

"But that's the way it is in the Army. If someone is slow on the assault course, you'd get people shouting: 'Come on you fat bastard, come on you ginger bastard, come on you black bastard'."

Mr Mercer's comments followed a report yesterday that soldiers from the Commonwealth were forming their own trade union because of the abuse and racism to which they were subjected.

Yesterday Pte Marlon Clancy, a Belize-born chef in the Royal Logistics Corps, told the Today programme on Radio 4 that "Commonwealth soldiers are third-class soldiers".

Pte Clancy has set up the British Commonwealth Soldiers Union, which is a union in name only because, under Queen's Regulations, troops cannot belong to a workers' organisation.

Although powerless to strike or negotiate, the union will give advice to members and act as a pressure group.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/03/08/nmercer108.xml