Anybody have an MBA

regulus

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I've been thinking about getting an MBA in a couple years. I'm going to go to the same school I did my undergrad at so I'll probably get prefferential treatment. Right now I'm getting a minor in biochemistry but it feels more like a hobby than a career to me (Iknow that sounds odd). It interests me but I want to make some real money. I like the thought of making money more than the thought of making molecules. If my business works out, I think I'll go the MBA route. I may or may not finish my biochem classes (I have to have two years of fulltime employment to apply for the MBA program).

If you have an MBA:

What were classes like?
What do you do for a living?
Did you get any hookups?
Any advice to give?

hawk919

Star
Registered
regulus said:
I've been thinking about getting an MBA in a couple years. I'm going to go to the same school I did my undergrad at so I'll probably get prefferential treatment. Right now I'm getting a minor in biochemistry but it feels more like a hobby than a career to me (Iknow that sounds odd). It interests me but I want to make some real money. I like the thought of making money more than the thought of making molecules. If my business works out, I think I'll go the MBA route. I may or may not finish my biochem classes (I have to have two years of fulltime employment to apply for the MBA program).

If you have an MBA:

What were classes like?
Did you get any hookups?
Any advice to give?

nobody gives a fuck nigga.......

regulus

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
hawk919 said:
nobody gives a fuck nigga.......

you're a wack ass nigga. this is a business board, not a bullshit board. take your ass back to the main board

Temujin

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
When I started Law School I was in a MBA/JD program where I could get my JD and MBA in 4 years. About a semester in I switched to a straight JD program because it was just to much at one time plus I figured I liked law better. Well after practicing law and being an officer in a corporation I realized I liked business better so I am enrolling in an executive MBA program now for an MBA in finance.

MBA run major companies. If you want to learn how to run a business and make contacts with entrepeneurs and investors go to the best MBA school you can find. I would say the MBA classes were easier then the law classes but like I said I only took one semester. I am going back for finance for the contacts and the information on how I can make my businesses mor e profitable.

Also most good MBA programs want you to have 2-5years of business experience before they will accept you. Experience in business is important if you are going to get the most out of the MBA experience. Actually if you focused on real estate or land development you would probably be a beast considering your interest.

DiamondDeuce

Support BGOL
Registered
Yeh man I got an MBA. I completed my directly after undergrad. I don't know what schools that you are considering, but I will tell you this. But I will tell you this unless you are going to a top 25 program, the schools are all going to be viewed the same by corporate America. I am a financial analyst, and I have sifted through resumes for hiring in my company ($billion dollar company).

But 1st and foremost it is experience that will get you that 1st job. The MBA will just help you progress in that job at a faster rate. That being said if you do graduate from a top 25 like Harvard, Stanford etc... then that will get you a NICE job straight outta school.

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.

regulus

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
DiamondDeuce said:
Yeh man I got an MBA. I completed my directly after undergrad. I don't know what schools that you are considering, but I will tell you this. But I will tell you this unless you are going to a top 25 program, the schools are all going to be viewed the same by corporate America. I am a financial analyst, and I have sifted through resumes for hiring in my company ($billion dollar company).

But 1st and foremost it is experience that will get you that 1st job. The MBA will just help you progress in that job at a faster rate. That being said if you do graduate from a top 25 like Harvard, Stanford etc... then that will get you a NICE job straight outta school.

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.

check your pm

Andre Nickatina

Potential Star
BGOL Investor
regulus said:
If you have an MBA:

What were classes like?
case method.

cold calls.

far more interesting than traditional lecture-style classes, but not all that hard. the prep-work was a bitch though.

if you go to a top-tier school expect to get your ass kicked. my old job was 50-60 hour weeks at good times and 100 hour weeks at bad times. business school was like my old job at it's worst. 18 hour days, every day, for a year and a half. shit wears you down, but it can be done if you've got some determination.

i will say that the last semester was gravy. severely reduced workload and plenty of time on the golf course. lots of good times.

regulus said:
real estate development

regulus said:
Did you get any hookups?
what kind of hookups you talking about?

if you mean hookups to get it, then no. i don't have the pedigree that many of my classmates had (i.e. parents who are alumni).

but if you mean hookups on the back-end, hell yeah. i got the hook up on the job i'm at now. that's why you go to business school and why you go to a top-tier school if you can. the shit ain't cheap and i'll be dealing with some major league loan payments for a while, but i leveraged the network of alumni from the school and the brand name weight that the school carries to get the job i have.

that's how you're supposed to do it if you want to maximize your degree. the education aint shit really. but i would never have been able to get the position i'm currently in without the degree i have. and that's a major hookup.

regulus said:
Any advice to give?
plenty. be more specific.

hawk919

Star
Registered
regulus said:
you're a wack ass nigga. this is a business board, not a bullshit board. take your ass back to the main board

I was just joking around man..........damn :(