American History 101 - People are tired of slave stories BUT let's talk about the ones that ESCAPED!

dmohead

Star
Platinum Member
Its a shame this topic hasn't gotten much traction...these are real stories of real black people who were in a ungodly fucked up situation and resolved to get out of it by any means necessary. I get the feeling people think runaway slaves are some kind of less than because they didn't go all django at the end and burn down the plantation while walking away slowly and anything less than that is somehow either dishonorable or cowardly and not worth the time.

mmg1ev.jpg

these articles show they were people with a fucking plan who took charge of their lives..thats no dishonorable coward

I don’t think most posters are thinking about Django. What I assume is they are in loss of words because they haven’t really been given a name or face to slavery. Its more like a small shock value with these clipping because it give you a raw picture of real history. In other words, its easier for people to generalize about slavery than to put a face, name, and moments on it because it makes them feel a certain way especially when the outcome was uncertain. For most this is more like an NASA being in space (there but you not being there) than it is history.

One thing most family members didn’t like to do is talk about slavery and it has affected all of us in one way or another. In my opinion these stories should have come directly from the black family and passed from one generation to another.

What I don’t get is why didn’t more slaves try to get to Mexico which was a shorter route or even out West? Maybe it was easier to escape north because the underground railroad. I know there had to be reasons but I just wonder.

PsiBorg

We Think, so We'll Know
BGOL Investor

Look at that artwork: A Devil chasing a Black Man. They knew what they were to Black people. Damn...:smh:

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Runaway slave advertisements offer a wealth of information about the movements and motivations of escaped slaves. This advertisement offers a reward for the capture and return of Sam MacKall, a Maryland slave who ran away from his master in Prince George's County. Because they were so close to the free states of the North, newspapers in Maryland and the District of Columbia hosted runaway ads from local farms and plantations as well as from distant slave owners who hoped to catch escaped slaves before they could reach freedom.

FIFTY DOLLARS REWARD for negro boy SAM, or SAM MACKALL, who left home on Christmas day. Sam is a light copper color, about 20 years old, 5 feet 6 inches high, face smooth and rather full, rather bushy head of hair, a little bow-legged, and very likely polite boy, a very fine house servant, though accustomed to plantation work. As he left home without any provocation, I have no doubt he intends to make his escape to one of the non-slaveholding States, and will, very probably, pass through Washington or Baltimore. I will give $20 for him if he is caught in Prince George's county, and delivered to me, or committed to jail, and information given so that I can get him again; and the above reward of $50 if he shall be caught out of the county, and committed to jail or brought home as above. Sam has relations and acquaintances at Dr. Edward Eversfield's, near Piscataway; at Dr. Bird's, Owensville, Anne Arundel County, and in Washington, at Mr. John Gadsby's. In the neighborhood of some one of these places, he will, probably, conceal himself until he shall be able to make his escape.

W.N.DORSETT,

Near Upper Marlborough, Prince George's county, Md

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Virginia Herald and Fredericksburg Advertiser: June 5, 1788.
Thirty Dollars Reward. RAN away, from the subscriber, living in Culpeper county, about 20 miles from Fredericksburg, on Monday the 12th of May, eight Negroes, purchased of the executors of James Hunter, esq., late of Stafford county, deceased, on the 10th of Feb. 1787, viz.----JOE, about 6 feet high, between 40 and 50 years old, is stout and well made, and has a hole in each of his ears.----HANNAH, Joe's wife, a remarkably large wench, about 40 years old, and has a female child with her, about 2 or 3 years old, named Griffy.----JOHN, son of Joe, about 7 or 8 years old, very well grown.----HARRY, a spare made fellow, about 60 years old, about 5 feet 8 inches high, is a very artful fellow, appears very religious; he has acquaintance about Annapolis, in Maryland, and Williamsburg, Portsmouth and Norfolk; he is supposed to have money with him.----DUMBO, wife of HARRY, a spare wench, 5 feet 6 or 7 inches high, and about 50 years old.----PATTY, about 18 years old, about 5 feet high, has a scar upon one of her arms below the elbow, and sundry others on her breast which appear like burns, and her back appears to have been used to the whip; she has a child with her about 2 years old.----It is suspected they have forged passes and may endeavour to pass for Mr. Hunter's, or for free, negroes.----All masters of vessels and others are hereby forbid to carry off or harbour the said slaves under the penalty of the law.----Whoever takes up the said negroes and brings them to the subscriber, shall have the above reward; or for Harry 10 dollars; or either of the others 4 dollars; and if taken 50 miles from home, or out of the state, all necessary charges will be paid by Basil Nooe June 2d, 1788.

So basically a whole family escaped. Also the wife's name is Dumbo but this predates that story by at least a hundred years... so I wonder if the name of the story comes from this??:idea:

Star

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Interesting post. Will read later. But I never considered indentured servants running away.....interesting.
Running away and there was a Riot / uprising over harsh treatment for doing anything the master did not like. "Caused the switch to getting african slaves. I will have to look up the video about it.

Star

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
What I don’t get is why didn’t more slaves try to get to Mexico which was a shorter route or even out West? Maybe it was easier to escape north because the underground railroad. I know there had to be reasons but I just wonder.
Lack of maps. Lack of knowing anything of what to expect. Might as well say and there be monsters. When slavery ended, many stayed in the local area. 'Cause they had no idea where to go. Only the brave hit the road. Can't read Can't count past 10, Most do Not really understand farming, the oversear handled what to do and when. Do not no the value of money, most never saw or spent it. When slavery ended I would say 90% of us where Really lost on what to do next

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Lack of maps. Lack of knowing anything of what to expect. Might as well say and there be monsters. When slavery ended, many stayed in the local area. 'Cause they had no idea where to go. Only the brave hit the road. Can't read Can't count past 10, Most do Not really understand farming, the oversear handled what to do and when. Do not no the value of money, most never saw or spent it. When slavery ended I would say 90% of us where Really lost on what to do next
they understood to work on a farm but didn't understand the BUSINESS of a farm...thats how sharecroppers got fucked.