Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potatoes Recipe - How To Cook Whole Sweet Potatoes In The Air Fryer - Perfect!

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator

Air Fryer Whole Sweet Potato​

5 from 16 votes
Jump To Recipe
  • Pin
By: Julie Evink14 Comments
Posted: 03/18/20 Updated: 09/06/22
This Post May Contain Affiliate Links. Please Read Our Disclosure Policy.
Love perfectly crispy skins and a fluffy inside in your baked Sweet Potatoes? Make them in your Air Fryer! These Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potato are light and fluffy on the inside with a crispy skin that has been seasoned for perfection. These whole sweet potatoes or yams make an easy side dish perfect for busy weeknights.
Want to save this recipe? Enter your email below and we'll send the recipe straight to your inbox!
Email *
SAVE THIS RECIPE
Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potato cut open and topped with butter and sprinkled with cinnamon

Do you love your air fryer as much as I love my air fryer? Is it not the best invention ever? Every time I use it I love it even more and this Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potato recipe is my newest obsession.
I am no stranger to baked potatoes – I’ve pretty much perfected oven-baked potatoes – but using my air fryer is my new favorite way to make them. It frees up your oven and it cooks them so they are soft and fluffy on the inside with amazing crispy skin on the outside. Just the way a baked sweet potato should be!
If you haven’t tried baked sweet potatoes yet, you are in for a treat! Like my roasted air fryer sweet potatoes, these beauties are so sweet and delicious. I like to season them first so the skin has the most amazing flavor. I love to serve them with a pat of butter and a little brown sugar. Delicious!
If you’ve been looking for a new side dish to try I think you’ll love them. Serve them with steak, meatloaf, ribs, and chicken – they go with so many main dishes.
Contentsshow

Baked Sweet Potato Air Fryer Ingredients​

You can prep the potatoes in 10 minutes with just a few ingredients that are more than likely already in your pantry! Basically, you’re just coating the sweet potatoes with the seasonings – here’s what you’ll need:
Ingredients Laid out on wood background

Whole Sweet Potato Air Fryer Prep​

Wash your potatoes and then pierce the skins with a fork. This will allow steam to escape while they are cooking.
Place all of the other ingredients in a big bowl, give them a stir and then put the sweet potatoes in the bowl and turn to coat them in the seasonings.\
Collage of two photos prepping sweet potatoes with seasonings

How To Air Fry Whole Sweet Potato​

Place them in the air fryer basket. Close the air fryer and set it for 390 degrees for 40 minutes.
The potatoes are done when they are fork-tender!
Collage of two photos placing sweet potatoes in air fryer and when they are done baking

Toppings For Air Fryer Whole Sweet Potato​

To serve your sweet potatoes, cut them open first. I like to fluff the insides with a fork at this point and add a few toppings!
  • Butter is a must!
  • A sprinkling of brown sugar over top is so good!
  • Add a little cinnamon, too!
All of the toppings are optional, of course! This is how we love them and, not gonna lie, they are pretty amazing!

Expert Tips For Baked Sweet Potato In Air Fryer​

A couple of reminders and a few tips!
  • Be sure to use medium-sized sweet potatoes for this recipe! If you use large ones they will need a longer cook time.
  • Don’t forget to poke holes in the potatoes! As they cook, steam will build up inside the potato and if it doesn’t have a way to escape the potato could explode – eek!
  • Don’t wrap your potatoes in foil. I’ve seen this for oven versions and it’s a no-no for the air fryer. The skin won’t get crispy!
  • Use tongs to remove the potatoes from the air fryer – probably goes without saying, but they will be hot!
  • You can eat the skin! It’s packed with fiber and potassium for added nutrition.

Whole Sweet Potato Air Fryer Leftover Storage​

Wrap them and keep them in the fridge – they’ll be good for three to four days. Or, you can freeze the leftovers for up to three months.
To rewarm, you can microwave them or warm them up in the oven. The skin won’t be as crispy, but they’ll still be delicious!
A wooden cutting board with baked sweet potato cut open with slice of butter

More Delicious Air Fryer Recipes!​

After you try these Baked Sweet Potatoes (and you know you want to!) you have to try some of my other favorite recipes for the air fryer!
  • Crispy Chicken Legs are a quick and easy recipe you can make in your air fryer! They are tossed in olive oil and then a blend of seasonings before they are cooked.
  • Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan recipe is everything you love about the original but healthier. The chicken is nice and juicy and the Parmesan coating is so crispy!
  • For something sweet, you have to try my Air Fryer Donuts. They’re a perfect sweet treat!
  • My regular Air Fryer Baked Potatoes are delicious, too!