Super Moderator
<font size="5"><center>A Single Person Could Swing an Election</font size>
<font size="4">it would take only one person, with a sophisticated
technical knowledge and timely access to the software
that runs the voting machines, to change the outcome</font size></center>

By Zachary A. Goldfarb
Special to The Washington Post
Wednesday, June 28, 2006; Page A07

To determine what it would take to hack a U.S. election, a team of cybersecurity experts turned to a fictional battleground state called Pennasota and a fictional gubernatorial race between Tom Jefferson and Johnny Adams. It's the year 2007, and the state uses electronic voting machines.

Jefferson was forecast to win the race by about 80,000 votes, or 2.3 percent of the vote. Adams's conspirators thought, "How easily can we manipulate the election results?"

The experts thought about all the ways to do it. And they concluded in a report issued yesterday that it would take only one person, with a sophisticated technical knowledge and timely access to the software that runs the voting machines, to change the outcome.

The report, which was unveiled at a Capitol Hill news conference by New York University's Brennan Center for Justice and billed as the most authoritative to date, tackles some of the most contentious questions about the security of electronic voting.

The report concluded that the three major electronic voting systems in use have significant security and reliability vulnerabilities. But it added that most of these vulnerabilities can be overcome by auditing printed voting records to spot irregularities. And while 26 states require paper records of votes, fewer than half of those require regular audits.

"With electronic voting systems, there are certain attacks that can reach enough voting machines . . . that you could affect the outcome of the statewide election," said Lawrence D. Norden, associate counsel of the Brennan Center.

With billions of dollars of support from the federal government, states have replaced outdated voting machines in recent years with optical scan ballot and touch-screen machines. Activists, including prominent computer scientists, have complained for years that these machines are not secure against tampering. But electronic voting machines are also much easier to use for disabled people and those who do not speak English.

Voting machine vendors have dismissed many of the concerns, saying they are theoretical and do not reflect the real-life experience of running elections, such as how machines are kept in a secure environment.

"It just isn't the piece of equipment," said David Bear, a spokesman for Diebold Election Systems, one of the country's largest vendors. "It's all the elements of an election environment that make for a secure election."

"This report is based on speculation rather than an examination of the record. To date, voting systems have not been successfully attacked in a live election," said Bob Cohen, a spokesman for the Election Technology Council, a voting machine vendors' trade group. "The purported vulnerabilities presented in this study, while interesting in theory, would be extremely difficult to exploit."

At yesterday's news conference, the push for more secure electronic voting machines, which has been popular largely on the left side of the political spectrum since the contested outcome of the 2000 presidential election in Florida, picked up some high-profile support from the other side.

Republican Reps. Tom Cole (Okla.) and Thomas M. Davis III (Va.), chairman of the House Government Reform Committee, joined Rep. Rush D. Holt (D-N.J.) in calling for a law that would set strict requirements for electronic voting machines. Howard Schmidt, former chief of security at Microsoft and President Bush's former cybersecurity adviser, also endorsed the Brennan report.

"It's not a question of 'if,' it's a question of 'when,' " Davis said of an attempt to manipulate election results.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...6062701451.html?referrer=email&referrer=email

GET YOU HOT

Superfly Moderator
BGOL Investor
Spies and Lies: Steal your data, steal your vote
Thursday, May 18, 2006
By Greg Palast

There are kooks and cranks and crazies among you who think that George Bush lost the 2004 election. For example, there's an audio blog going around with TV star Larry David reading a story called,"Kerry Won," a chapter in a book called, Armed Madhouse. I know, because I wrote it.

How you go about jerry-rigging a democracy has a lot to do with two other, seemingly unrelated stories, in the news this week: illegal surveillance of our phone records and the new border war against immigrants.

The glue between these three stories -- elections manipulation, War on Terror and War on Immigration -- is a four letter: data.

ELECTIONS: I'm an investigative reporter for BBC TV. In that job, in November 2000, I discovered that Katherine Harris and Jeb Bush knocked tens of thousands of African-Americans off Florida voter rolls -- thereby handing the Presidency to Brother George. The key to the vote heist was a database of supposed "felons" whose registration was "purged." They were innocent, but hey, that's the data game for you. One man's abuse of data bases is another man's inauguration.

On to 2004: Same game, new data bases and more purges. But there was a new twist, "caging lists" which I discovered within Republican Party files (how I got them, well, read the book). These were lists of HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of Black folk (and a few Jewish voters) -- i.e. Democrats -- whom the Republican Party secretly planned to challenge on election day. They did. It's illegal, but hey, when you steal the Presidency you get the Justice Department as a bonus and that means you control the civil rights enforcement cops. It's the perfect crime.

The challenges, by the way, were based on "suspicions" about a voters' proper address. We went through the confidential sheets and found, for example, Randall Prausa, one of a large group of African-American soldiers whose addresses became "suspect" because they were shipped overseas.

But you can't keep using data to bend elections without more data. Hence, the War on Terror, while thin on hunting terrorists, is fat with contracts to hunt for your data profile, from your finances to your voting records. It is not at all a coincidence that the company that ginned up the fake "felon" lists in 2000 is the same company that's been given no-bid "counter-terrorism" contracts by Mr. Bush's Big Brother agencies.

ChoicePoint Inc. of Georgia, the guys who came up with the Florida list, are now the biggest provider of DNA data to the FBI. And they have a "counter-terrorism" contract to trawl for data on foreigners. Fair enough: after all, every one of the 19 hijackers came from Saudi Arabia and the Persian Gulf. But , in our investigation for Armed Madhouse, were able to get ahold of the no-bid deal, and oddly, Saudi Arabians are not on the target list. Rather, our government was secretly grabbing the citizen voter files of Venezuela, Argentina, Mexico and several other Latin nations. [Take a look yourself] Each one of these countries on the list has an anti-Bush president running for re-election or an anti-Bush contender leading in the polls. Is this a war on terror or a war on democracy?

And now, the state of Georgia has passed a law, which other states are expected to imitate, requiring every employer to check a national special national data base before hiring any worker to insure they are US citizens or legal immigrants. Add that to Georgia's requirement for a special ID card to vote -- now being adopted by Republican-majority legislatures nationwide and we have a way to challenge voters by the thousands.

And who gets challenged? Can you guess? The federal government reports that 300,000 voters were turned away from the polls in 2004 for lack of "proper" I.D. Not lack of I.D., but lack of proper I.D. In New Mexico, for example, voters who excluded their middle initial on their driver's license but it included it on their voter registration lost their vote. But not everyone is asked for I.D. Experts for the US Civil Rights Commission calculated that a Black voter is 900% more likely to have their ballot left uncounted than a white voter.

In response to the ugly racial purge of voters in 2000, George Bush signed the Help America Vote Act -- which REQUIRES every state to create a centralized voter database just like the one that made the mass purge of voters in Florida possible. This Orwellian transformation of voter protection into voter predation, coupled with the new laws requiring voter I.D. cards and data base checks means that the 2006 and 2008 elections may already be over. But you'll have to wait until then to find out whom the data-meisters have chosen for you.

________
Investigative reporter Greg Palast, winner of the George Orwell Courage in Journalism Prize, is author of the New York Times bestseller, The Best Democracy Money Can Buy. His new book is Armed Madhouse: Who's Afraid of Osama Wolf?, China Floats Bush Sinks, The Scheme to Steal '08, No Child's Behind Left and Other Dispatches from the Front Lines of the Class War. View Palast's reports on the election for BBC Television at www.GregPalast.com

keysersoze

Star
Registered
I wanted to bump this given that we have an election comming up.

Hope that whatever side/party wins, does it honestly. :rolleyes:

GET YOU HOT

Superfly Moderator
BGOL Investor
You're 8 years late Que.

It's not Que's fault...

This Orwellian transformation of voter protection into voter predation, coupled with the new laws requiring voter I.D. cards and data base checks means that the 2006 and 2008 elections may already be over. But you'll have to wait until then to find out whom the data-meisters have chosen for you.

pantha266

Star
Registered
Electronic Voting Machines Whistle Blower

:smh:
[flash]http://www.youtube.com/v/z3hUPP_bdOo&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

GET YOU HOT

Superfly Moderator
BGOL Investor
Re: Electronic Voting Machines Whistle Blower

This could have been posted in the other thread about one person rigging an election.
http://www.bgol.us/board/showthread.php?t=111627
Anyways,

Stephen Heller, whistleblower, I just bumped an old thread regarding this type stuff, Diebold and all, still, it's all relevant.

I think we have more to worry about, since things are heating up with Iran, the election may not need rigging this year...