A Bellevue Hospital employee has been accused of pulling out “white woman tears” after she allegedly tried to hijack a CitiBike that had already been

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator

NYC hospital ‘Karen’ blasted for allegedly trying to steal CitiBike from young black man​

By
Isabel Keane and
Amanda Woods

May 15, 2023 11:49am
Updated

A Bellevue Hospital employee has been accused of pulling out “white woman tears” after she allegedly tried to hijack a CitiBike that had already been paid for by a young black man.
A clip of the chaotic encounter posted Saturday gained over 6.6 million views on Twitter as commentators blasted the white woman, who is seen wearing NYC Health + Hospital scrubs, for trying to make a scene and paint the young man as a threat.
“Help! Help me! Please, help me,” the woman yells, trying to grab the attention of passersby as she tugs at the bike.
The young man keeps his grip on the bike’s handlebars and repeatedly tells the woman that he already paid to use that particular bike.
Despite being told that the bike was already taken, the woman continues to make a scene, raising her voice while wailing for help.
“Get off me! Get off me, you’re hurting my fetus,” the woman exclaims while pushing and shoving the young man.

bike karen The Bellevue employee wearing hospital scrubs tried to get the attention of passersby while she shoved at the young man to get off the bike he paid for.
“I’m not touching you! You’re putting your stomach on my hand,” the young man retorts as she continues to cry out for help.

The young biker makes no attempts at shoving the woman back but holds his ground as he and his group of friends tell her to back off and get her own bike.

About halfway through the nearly 2-minute clip, a white man wearing the same scrubs as the woman approaches the group to ask what is going on and the woman pretends to start crying.

bike karen The woman shoves and pushes at the young man, who tells her he already paid to use the bike she is trying to take. Titter/@Imposter_Edits
As the apparent co-worker of the woman tries to step in, the young man on the bike makes a final appeal to the woman, who is now in fake hysterics: “This is my bike, it’s on my account. Please move.”

The young man’s friends who are behind the camera tell the woman to stop fake crying as the co-worker tells the woman to take another bike.

Once the co-worker makes the suggestion, the woman is suddenly calm and begins setting up a nearby bike for use.

A DCPI spokesperson told The Post that the NYPD is aware of the video circulating online.

woman and co worker An apparent co-worker comes over to try to defuse the situation. Titter/@Imposter_Edits citibike karen The woman pretends to cry while trying to take the bike. Titter/@Imposter_Edits
“There are currently no 911 calls or reports on file for this incident,” the spokesperson said. “The NYPD encourages anyone who believes they were a victim of a crime to come forward and report it at any police facility so that an investigation can commence.”

Social media users were quick to chastise the NYC hospital employee, nicknaming her “Karen,” and questioning whether her actions on the street reflect how she treats black patients.

“Racism at its finest. She fully understands that white women generally have the privilege of being perceived as ‘innocent’ which is why she attempted to use her tears as a weapon against this young black man. And of COURSE she works in healthcare, probably treating black patients like s**t. She needs to be FIRED and should be embarrassed to be a sick evil racist piece of s**t,” one person commented.

Another person chimed in, “This Karen needs to be locked up!”

bike karen Once the co-worker suggested she use a different bike, the woman calmed down and moved away from the young men. Titter/@Imposter_Edits
Others noted that similar situations in the past have placed black people in danger.

“She is deplorable. What she did is an act of violence and she should suffer consequences. Like this really pissed me off because we get killed over s–t like this.”

Some compared the woman to Amy Cooper, also known as “Central Park Karen,” who called the police on a black birdwatcher in 2020 and lost her job and a lawsuit over the incident.

citibike karen Social media users were quick to criticize “CitiBike Karen” for her treatment of the young black man. Titter/@Imposter_Edits
NYC Health + Hospitals/Bellevue addressed the incident in a statement on social media Sunday.

“We have recently become aware of an incident that occurred off campus over the weekend and appears to involve one of our employees. We are sorry this happened and we are reviewing the incident,” the hospital wrote.

“NYC Health + Hospitals/Bellevue is committed to providing the highest quality of care to all New Yorkers with dignity, cultural sensitivity and compassion.”

citibike karen Some social media users compared the woman to Amy Cooper, who called the police on a black man who was birdwatching in 2020. Titter/@Imposter_Edits
The Post has reached out to NYC Health + Hospitals for comment regarding the incident.

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator

NYC hospital ‘Karen’ on leave after allegedly trying to take black man’s bike in viral video​

By
Isabel Keane

May 16, 2023 2:55pm
Updated

The Bellevue Hospital employee branded a “Karen” after she was caught on video allegedly attempting to hijack a CitiBike that had already been paid for by a black man has been placed on leave, NYC Health + Hospitals confirmed to The Post.
A clip of the explosive encounter has raked in more than 40 million views on social media after it was shared on Twitter on Saturday, with the health care network labeling it “disturbing.”
“We are aware of the video involving a health care provider off duty and away from the hospital campus. The incident in the video is disturbing,” a spokesperson for NYC Health + Hospitals said in a statement Tuesday.
“The provider is currently out on leave and will remain on leave pending a review,” the statement continued.
“As a health system we are committed to providing an environment for our patients and staff that is free from discrimination of any kind.”
The video, which starts mid-confrontation, shows the woman dressed in hospital-branded scrubs screaming for help as she tugs at the bike.
“Help! Help me! Please, help me,” she yells.
The young man calmly keeps his grip on the bike’s handlebars and repeatedly tells the woman, who is white, that he already paid to use that particular bike.

video snip The hospital employee has been placed on leave, NYC Health + Hospitals said. Imposter_Edits/Twitter
“Get off me! Get off me, you’re hurting my fetus,” the woman then exclaims while pushing and shoving the man.

“I’m not touching you! You’re putting your stomach on my hand,” the man retorts as she continues to cry out for help.

The biker makes no attempts at shoving the woman back but holds his ground as he and his group of friends tell her to back off and get her own bike.

video The woman shoves and pushes at the young man, who tells her he already paid to use the bike she is trying to take.Imposter_Edits/Twitter
About halfway through the nearly 2-minute clip, the woman appears to start crying theatrically as a white man wearing the same NYC Health + Hospital scrubs approaches the group to ask what is going on.

As the apparent co-worker of the woman tries to step in, the young man on the bike makes a final appeal to the woman.

“This is my bike, it’s on my account. Please move,” he says.

The cyclist’s friends who are filming the confrontation then tell the woman to stop fake crying, as the other hospital worker tells the woman to take another bike.

An apparent co-worker comes over to try to defuse the situation. An apparent co-worker comes over to try to defuse the situation.Imposter_Edits/Twitter The woman pretends to cry while trying to take the bike. The woman pretends to cry while trying to take the bike.Imposter_Edits/Twitter
Once the co-worker makes the suggestion, the woman is suddenly calm and begins setting up a nearby bike for use.

The bewildering encounter exploded online, with critics calling the unknown provider a “Karen” and castigating her for weaponizing her “white woman tears.”

A DCPI spokesperson told The Post that the NYPD is aware of the video circulating online but nothing was reported.

“There are currently no 911 calls or reports on file for this incident,” the spokesperson said.

“The NYPD encourages anyone who believes they were a victim of a crime to come forward and report it at any police facility so that an investigation can commence.”

Social media users were quick to criticize “CitiBike Karen” for her treatment of the young black man. Social media users were quick to criticize “CitiBike Karen” for her treatment of the young black man.Imposter_Edits/Twitter
The name of the employee has not yet been confirmed by officials.

What do you think? Post a comment.

NYC Health + Hospitals also addressed the incident on social media Sunday, confirming that the company is reviewing the incident.

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator

NYC hospital ‘Karen’ paid for Citi Bike at center of viral fight with black man: lawyer​

By
Amanda Woods and

David Propper
May 18, 2023 7:10am
Updated

The lawyer for a Manhattan hospital worker accused of taking a Citi Bike from a young black man — who claimed that he paid for the two-wheeler — provided receipts that he says show she was the one who purchased the ride at the center of the viral incident.
The Bellevue Hospital employee — who was branded a “Karen” on social media afterward — rented the bike first, lawyer Justin Marino said in a statement to The Post Wednesday.
He also provided two Citi Bike receipts from May 12, which were timestamped just minutes apart.
The first receipt reviewed by The Post shows the bike being taken out before it was re-locked one minute later, which Marino said is the bike seen in the video.
The second receipt shows another bike being taken out a minute later from the same docking station and was the bike Marino said his client used to get home after being “heckled and pressured to find a new bike” by the group.

00:0201:23
The hospital employee, who Marino says is a six-months-pregnant physician assistant, was placed on leave by NYC Health + Hospitals this week after her heated encounter with the men emerged online Saturday and has been viewed tens of millions of times.
NYC hospital Karen The NYC hospital Karen reportedly paid for the Citi Bike at the center of her controversy.Titter/@Imposter_Edits NYC hospital Karen The lawyer also provided two Citi Bike receipts from May 12, which were timestamped just minutes apart.Titter/@Imposter_Edits
Marino called the caught-on-tape interaction “incomplete” and lacking facts.
He said after the health care worker wrapped up her 12-hour shift, she got on an available bike, “which no individuals were on or touching,” and paid for it through the Citi Bike app on her phone.
As she backed it up from the docking station, a group of five people approached her and claimed the bike was theirs, he said.

SEE ALSO​

NYC hospital ‘Karen’ on leave after being accused of trying to take black man’s bike in viral video​

“One or more individuals in that group physically pushed her bike (with her on it) back into the docking station, causing it to re-lock,” Marino said in the written statement.
One of the individuals then covered the bike’s QR code, stopping her from paying for it again so she could leave, Marino said.
“In blocking the QR code, this individual’s arm was touching my client’s pregnant stomach, a condition of which she had made them aware,” he added. “Throughout this time and for the remainder of the video, roughly five individuals were telling her to get off the bike and heckling her.”
“The fact anyone would treat another person like this is tragic, especially a visibly pregnant woman,” he said.
The roughly 90-second clip that begins mid-confrontation shows the woman dressed in hospital-branded scrubs screaming for help as she tugs at the bike.
“Help! Help me! Please, help me,” she yells.
NYC hospital Karen Marino called the caught-on-tape interaction “incomplete” and lacking facts.Titter/@Imposter_Edits
The young man kept his grip on the bike’s handlebars and repeatedly told the woman that he already paid to use that particular bike and it wasn’t hers.
“Get off me! Get off me, you’re hurting my fetus,” the woman then shouted as she pushed the man away.
“I’m not touching you! You’re putting your stomach on my hand,” the man replied.
Halfway through the clip, the hospital worker appears to start crying as another man in the same scrubs approached the melee to see what was going on.
The young man again claimed to the woman the bike was on his account and asked her to move before she rented another bike on the advice of her colleague.
NYC hospital Karen NYC Health + Hospitals called the video “disturbing” when announcing she was placed on leave Tuesday. The hospital system said she would remain on leave pending a review of the incident.Titter/@Imposter_Edits
Some social media users called the interaction racist while others compared the situation to when Amy Cooper called the police on a black birdwatcher in 2020 and lost her job over it.
The NYPD said it did not receive any 911 calls over this incident.
Marino said his client is a dedicated hospital worker who has treated “literally thousands of New York City residents of all backgrounds/ethnicities.”
“Simply, her entire life has been focused on helping others, irrespective of their background,” Marino said.
NYC hospital Karen Halfway through the clip, the hospital worker appears to start crying as another man in the same scrubs approached the melee to see what was going on.Titter/@Imposter_Edits
NYC Health + Hospitals called the video “disturbing” when announcing she was placed on leave Tuesday. The hospital system said she would remain on leave pending a review of the incident.
Marino declined to comment on anything tied to his client’s employment Wednesday.
NYC Health + Hospitals did not immediately return a request for a comment Wednesday.