8-1 or not, the Celtics are overrated

tp2001

Star
Registered
Man that ended up being another great game between those two...I would not mind it at all if they meet in the ECF...I would watch every game (and hope it goes 7)

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Oh, Shit, Boston is down late in the game against...the Bobcats?!?!?!?!!?

My job is giving tickets to the Nets/Celtics game of Friday. I'm really thinking about going, but a.) the seats we got suck and b.) my boss will be there.

Last edited:

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Oh, Shit, Boston is down late in the gasme against...the Bobcats?!?!?!?!!?

My job is giving tickets to the Nets/Celtics game of Friday. I'm really thinking about going, but a.) the seats we got suck and b.) my boss will be there.

Damn, the mighty Celtics get beat at home by double digits to the Charlotte Bobcats. Isn't this the second time this year that their games have gone down to the wire? 2nd road win of the season for Charlotte.

:lol: @ RF. Don't want his boss to see him wilding out at the game like a true fan :lol:

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Damn, the mighty Celtics get beat at home by double digits to the Charlotte Bobcats. Isn't this the second time this year that their games have gone down to the wire? 2nd road win of the season for Charlotte.

Style-wize, the Bobcats give the Celtics matchup problems. Combine that with two big injuries and a paper-thin bench and they were bound to lose. I'm sure other teams are taking notes, though.

:lol: @ RF. Don't want his boss to see him wilding out at the game like a true fan :lol:

..actually, it's the other way around. My boss embarrassed us that the last Nets game. That's why people backed out the minute they found out he was going. The last thing I need is to be spotted on the YES network or Sportscenter getting ejected by police.:rolleyes:

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Good win for Boston..Jersey played well until the end.

Boston REALLY needs more bench help.

You're right about the bench. They need another big man to bang down low and a point guard.

They're getting by in games with the BIG 3 (of course) and the fact that they're playing tenacious D night in and night out.

But I'd like to see them push their offensive rebounding average up a couple and lower the TOs (which is about 1 for every 5 FGA - Detroit has 1 TO for every 7.5 FGA)

On a related note - HTF did NJ only shoot 9-24 FTA? :confused:

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
i cut 'em some slack on this L. no starting PG is bound to lead to some added TOs. plus, you got the TO king on the court to begin with.

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
i cut 'em some slack on this L. no starting PG is bound to lead to some added TOs. plus, you got the TO king on the court to begin with.

I haven't seen many players (other than Wobe, Tracy McGrady, Ben Gordon) that have a knack of breaking plays as much as Paul Pierce.

Kind of off topic but I remember back in the summer you mentioned that NBA official Zach Zarba might have been a "person of interest" in the referee scandal but never paid much attention.

After seeing Zarba work recently, you might have been right. :hmm:

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I meant to bump this Sunday but I got tied up but for those that didn't know, after their win over the Spurs, the Celtics are now 16-0 this season against the Western Conference. :eek:

Pretty impressive to me that a team has fared so well early against the Western competition that it can lose every game against the West for the rest of the regular season and still post a winning record against it.

The funny thing is that they might not even make it to the NBA Finals to put that to use in the playoffs.

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
i think coach rivers got out-coached again tonight. he left rondo out on an island in the 2nd half, and chauncey billups went to work.

coach rivers literally didn't know what to do, made no substantial adjustments, and the pistons came from behind, took the lead, and then survived the celtics rally.

bump for 2 reasons.

1st, it's interesting to take a look back and read our observations as the season progressed.

and 2nd, i wanted to revisit my criticism(s) of coach rivers. in G2, i saw the same "deer in headlights" coaching as the celtics squandered their lead.

i will have a double portion of crow to eat if the celtics eventually win the NBA finals (as a result of my criticisms of coach rivers), but i still stand behind them.

this example was highlighted in the LA Times:

A key to the Lakers' rally was Jackson's decision to leave Lamar Odom -- who had five fouls -- on the bench and stick with Radmanovic at power forward.

To counter, Boston Coach Doc Rivers also went "small" and kept 6-foot-8 forward James Posey on the floor in place of center Kendrick Perkins.

This matchup allowed the Lakers to put more defensive pressure on the ball and jump Boston's screen-and-roll plays, with Fisher and Radmanovic often leaving the Celtics' weakest scoring threats, Posey and Rajon Rondo, uncovered.

As a result, the Celtics were harassed into six turnovers over the final eight minutes, enabling the Lakers to score several baskets in transition.

JIMMY SWAGGER

Support BGOL
Registered
bump for 2 reasons.

1st, it's interesting to take a look back and read our observations as the season progressed.

and 2nd, i wanted to revisit my criticism(s) of coach rivers. in G2, i saw the same "deer in headlights" coaching as the celtics squandered their lead.

i will have a double portion of crow to eat if the celtics eventually win the NBA finals (as a result of my criticisms of coach rivers), but i still stand behind them.

A key to the Lakers' rally was Jackson's decision to leave Lamar Odom -- who had five fouls -- on the bench and stick with Radmanovic at power forward.

To counter, Boston Coach Doc Rivers also went "small" and kept 6-foot-8 forward James Posey on the floor in place of center Kendrick Perkins.

This matchup allowed the Lakers to put more defensive pressure on the ball and jump Boston's screen-and-roll plays, with Fisher and Radmanovic often leaving the Celtics' weakest scoring threats, Posey and Rajon Rondo, uncovered.

As a result, the Celtics were harassed into six turnovers over the final eight minutes, enabling the Lakers to score several baskets in transition.

I am sick and tired of this shit. I have my issues with Rivers just as much as the next man but WTF was P. Jackson doing for 3 1/2 quarters. He is the one who had a deer in the headlight look. I was laughing because he had the same look he had on his face in the 2004 finals. The Lakers and their fans are blaming everyone but themselves for their losses. Man up and play ball. When the Celtics were losing to the Hawks and Cavs I dont think I ever heard anyone from their squad bitch about outside influences. They kept saying that they were the ones to blame. The only cat who has come to that realization is Kobe, not Jackson. Jackson, always revs up the refs and he wonders why he gets no calls sometimes. Kobe will come through in Game 3 but will the others? By he way, I stopped messing with the LA Times after they botched the whole Biggie investigation. Yeah, real tabloid journalism.

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I am sick and tired of this shit. I have my issues with Rivers just as much as the next man but WTF was P. Jackson doing for 3 1/2 quarters. He is the one who had a deer in the headlight look. I was laughing because he had the same look he had on his face in the 2004 finals. The Lakers and their fans are blaming everyone but themselves for their losses. Man up and play ball. When the Celtics were losing to the Hawks and Cavs I dont think I ever heard anyone from their squad bitch about outside influences. They kept saying that they were the ones to blame. The only cat who has come to that realization is Kobe, not Jackson. Jackson, always revs up the refs and he wonders why he gets no calls sometimes. Kobe will come through in Game 3 but will the others? By he way, I stopped messing with the LA Times after they botched the whole Biggie investigation. Yeah, real tabloid journalism.

I agree

I have been watching the Celtics play the entire season and playoffs. every single playoff game they lost they never ever bitch or complained about foul calls after a game. they always took responsibility for losses even when LB stayed on the free throw line in the second round. Hell, even ATL was on the line all the time. the Lakers are a spoiled basketball team.

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
bump for 2 reasons.

Like you, I believe that "Doc" Rivers isn't that great a coach but I think his team, the personnel he has, is good enough to win this series, and rather quickly.

They're just too good defensively for the lakers and have a veteran cast that is going to do whatever it takes to get the title.

I can't say the same about the lakers as they aren't mentally (or physically) tough. Reminds me of the Dallas Mavericks led teams the last couple of seasons.

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Kobe will come through in Game 3

Not to cut down your statement, but I doubt it.

As I mentioned in the previous post, the lakers of this year remind me a little of the Mavericks with one of the reasons being that Wobe's lack of mental toughness reminds me of Dirk.

The lakers are now in a hole. Will Wobe panic and hijack the offense? Or will he play within the TEAM and get it done?

It's obvious that his way doesnt work (and the Celtics are baiting him into playing his way) Why not play the way that made you the top seed in the West in the first place? :confused:

By the way - the lakers are 6-5 in the playoffs when Wobe takes 20 or more FGA. Compared to 6-0 when he takes 19 or less. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out :smh:

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
damn.

coach rivers is really trying to make me eat some crow.

he actually made a SOLID coaching move by not inserting sam cassell when rajan rondo went down. eddie house is paying dividends. i wonder why coach jackson hasn't attacked eddie house when he has the ball?

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
They were stinking up the whole Place.

not only kevin garnett and paul pierce, it was a 1st half failure in coaching too. but kevin garnett did his chris webber and rasheed wallace impersonation in the 1st half.

1st half coach rivers left sam cassell in the game for a LONG stretch, and his bullshit play helped keep the celtics out of rhythm. instead of being a veteran and providing some leadership and play which would settle the team down, the knucklehead played like an idiot.

2nd half coach rivers went to eddie house (at PG :eek:) as mentioned above, and it was still an improvement over sam cassell. but eddie house and coach rivers made consecutive blunders in Q4 that sealed the game for the fakers. eddie house passed on the 3 to take a floater that missed and then coach rivers STUPIDLY decided to trap tobe which lead to the pressure release to lamar odom and the eventual 3 by sasha vujacic in the corner.

Makkonnen

The Quizatz Haderach
BGOL Investor
not only kevin garnett and paul pierce, it was a 1st half failure in coaching too. but kevin garnett did his chris webber and rasheed wallace impersonation in the 1st half.

1st half coach rivers left sam cassell in the game for a LONG stretch, and his bullshit play helped keep the celtics out of rhythm. instead of being a veteran and providing some leadership and play which would settle the team down, the knucklehead played like an idiot.

2nd half coach rivers went to eddie house (at PG :eek:) as mentioned above, and it was still an improvement over sam cassell. but eddie house and coach rivers made consecutive blunders in Q4 that sealed the game for the fakers. eddie house passed on the 3 to take a floater that missed and then coach rivers STUPIDLY decided to trap tobe which lead to the pressure release to lamar odom and the eventual 3 by sasha vujacic in the corner.

yeah but then they tried to get allen to D up toby solo and that was a failure too

blooo

Star
Registered
[/b]

yeah but then they tried to get allen to D up toby solo and that was a failure too

Kobe had his game going on for him. How come they havent played big baby in this series??? He could have played Better than what leon Powe did tonight.

TimRock

Don't let me be misunderstood
BGOL Investor
What the hell is up with Odom and Gasol. Its seems as though once Pao feels a defender behind him, he gives up his dribble and passes the ball. He doesnt try to power his way to the basket. And Odom:puke:. i mean really. he has to lead the league in offensive fouls this season. What was he thinking out there. Luckily Pao cleaned up some of his shots. Then he commits an offensive foul with six seconds to go in the game. Thank god for Sasha.

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor

those weren't failures of ray allen. tobe scoring is inconsequential. coach rivers (like the players) must have the fortitude to NOT break discipline.

game plan calls for tobe to shoot. so LET HIM SHOOT. if he scores, so be it. that's the risk you take. but don't be a sissy and change up the game plan in Q4 because you got nervous.

it's like battlefield warfare. your soldiers MUST hold the line and not break formation, no matter how great the temptation. same holds true for coaches.

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
Its seems as though once Pao feels a defender behind him, he gives up his dribble and passes the ball. He doesnt try to power his way to the basket.

isn't that the correct play?

it's not like pau gasol is a power player. just like kevin garnett is not a power player.

you see kendrick perkins has more success in the low post going to the rim than kevin garnett does.

TimRock

Don't let me be misunderstood
BGOL Investor
isn't that the correct play?

it's not like pau gasol is a power player. just like kevin garnett is not a power player.

you see kendrick perkins has more success in the low post going to the rim than kevin garnett does.

In previous series, Pao would attempt a sky hook, and as ugly as it looked, it would sometimes fall. or even try to shoot over a defender. But this series, he's shyed away from it (even against the spurs he didnt do much scoring). And Pao doesnt have a jump shot like KG (even though he hasnt been hitting it much lately).

What did you think of Odom last night?

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
Pao would attempt a sky hook, and as ugly as it looked, it would sometimes fall. or even try to shoot over a defender. But this series, he's shyed away from it (even against the spurs he didnt do much scoring). And Pao doesnt have a jump shot like KG (even though he hasnt been hitting it much lately).

i think that has a lot to do with pau gasol being a patient player on O. he mistakenly thinks that if he passes out and reposts, that he will see the ball back again. if i'm his coach, i prefer not to see him try to force the action. post him up, get him a 6' jump hook or have him pass out of the double team. as is the case with most euros, pau gasol lacks ferocity on the D side of the ball, but i think he's playing solid ball on the O side.

What did you think of Odom last night?

lackluster. a couple poor technical/mechanical errors. i think you can attribute that primarily to the foul trouble and secondarily to the lack of touches.

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Perkins had a couple of nice power moves in the post. He's a better offensive player than I thought.

'Sup with your boy Sam Cassell coming in with that shitty play. Taking a shot every possession? :confused:

You'd think a player that signed up specifically for a ring would be the last one trying to sabotage the team's chances of winning. :hmm:

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

That's the thing. The Celtics don't have anyone else to play PG. Rivers has tried Allen, Cassell, and House at PG and non have been really effective as Rondo. I'm still trying to figure out wtf Cassell is doing out there.

Maybe Doc should look at Tony Allen to get some spot minutes if Rondo isn't able to go full speed, because Cassell shouldn't hit the floor based on the way he's been playing.

I also agree with your point about trapping Wobe... There should be no reason too on that area of the floor, especially when the trap was soft.

Hopefully Rivers will have his players more prepared in Game 4 so they won't have to worry about facing a tied series on Sunday.