1 Lesson to Learn from the Bell Trial: Make Sure You Have Intelligent Friends

keysersoze

Star
Registered
I'm not defending the outcome of the Bell trial but one thing that stuck out at me was what the Justice said:

Mr. Bell’s friends and the two wounded victims, were simply not believable. “At times, the testimony of those witnesses just didn’t make sense,” the judge said.
Link

I know that the Justice system is messed and we can all list the many ways it is - but one thing we can do is have some intelligent and reliable friends around us when shiet goes down to actually back up our story.

Apparently, even with 50 witnesses the Prosecution was unable to make their case. That says something for having quality as opposed to quantity of people who got your back.

That said - this is one of the worst cases I can recall in a while since the Diallo instance.

Deuterion

Support BGOL
Registered
I'm not defending the outcome of the Bell trial but one thing that stuck out at me was what the Justice said:

Mr. Bell’s friends and the two wounded victims, were simply not believable. “At times, the testimony of those witnesses just didn’t make sense,” the judge said.
Link

I know that the Justice system is messed and we can all list the many ways it is - but one thing we can do is have some intelligent and reliable friends around us when shiet goes down to actually back up our story.

Apparently, even with 50 witnesses the Prosecution was unable to make their case. That says something for having quality as opposed to quantity of people who got your back.

That said - this is one of the worst cases I can recall in a while since the Diallo instance.

I cannot justify their actions at all but when you're on the force your mind state is "My life or his" and that really comes into play when weapons are drawn. When you tell someone hands up after a refuse to pull over and they don't comply and start to fidget you have no other choice but to open fire. Either you neutralize the target or you give the suspect time to grab their weapon and blast you first. I don't know about you but I'm going to get the drop on them and open fire...especially if they refuse to comply. But people never understand that so after the investigation is done the family is like "Lil' Jonny was just going to reach for his Bible and quote scriptures to everyone why'd you shoot him?" Well how was I supposed to know that? I told him hands up, he didn't listen, and he reached for something so I blasted him.

mrjody

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I cannot justify their actions at all but when you're on the force your mind state is "My life or his" and that really comes into play when weapons are drawn. When you tell someone hands up after a refuse to pull over and they don't comply and start to fidget you have no other choice but to open fire. Either you neutralize the target or you give the suspect time to grab their weapon and blast you first. I don't know about you but I'm going to get the drop on them and open fire...especially if they refuse to comply. But people never understand that so after the investigation is done the family is like "Lil' Jonny was just going to reach for his Bible and quote scriptures to everyone why'd you shoot him?" Well how was I supposed to know that? I told him hands up, he didn't listen, and he reached for something so I blasted him.

You just justified it.

Were there weapons to be fired?

Cops made an error.

Oh well, look for OJ 2 3 and four..

Deuterion

Support BGOL
Registered
You just justified it.

Were there weapons to be fired?

Cops made an error.

Oh well, look for OJ 2 3 and four..

I didn't justify THEIR actions because I don't know the circumstance of this particular case. If Bell was one of the guys that didn't comply then I can see why the cops got off. But if he was just minding his own business and the cops were being stupid and shot him for no reason I think the ruling was wrong.

mcguyver

Rising Star
OG Investor
I didn't justify THEIR actions because I don't know the circumstance of this particular case. If Bell was one of the guys that didn't comply then I can see why the cops got off. But if he was just minding his own business and the cops were being stupid and shot him for no reason I think the ruling was wrong.

I lived in NEW York for 8yrs and know the mind state of the cops there. They killed that dude bottom line. Unarmed, unprovoked senseless killing.

Think about it under cover cops, Those guys weren't major traffic dealers, gun smugglers, fbi most wanted. So why were the undercover cops at them. Samething happened to me too many times on a much smaller scale thats why I got the fuck out of NY.

super_glue

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

There are a million different scenarios as to why they didn't get their hands up. I pray my oldest son never runs into any type of shit like this. He has autism. And sometimes when asking him a question or telling him to do something he has a delayed reaction. Doesn't mean he's ignoring you it just takes him longer to process the information. Starting to yell or becoming agitated with him will only make matters worse. But if assholes are too quick to respond and just assume he isn't listening I fear the worst could happen. To him, and whom ever harmed him. :hmm:

34real

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
one thing we can do is have some intelligent and reliable friends around us when shiet goes down to actually back up our story.
I would agree but when your just sitting in a car and someones start shooting at you,I think the avagerage individual's judgement wouldn't be a houndred percent.I know mines wouldn't and Ive been around when someone decided to start shooting and the only thing that comes to mind is run,everything else is not important,at that moment in time.

keysersoze

Star
Registered
I would agree but when your just sitting in a car and someones start shooting at you,I think the avagerage individual's judgement wouldn't be a houndred percent.I know mines wouldn't and Ive been around when someone decided to start shooting and the only thing that comes to mind is run,everything else is not important,at that moment in time.

The thing to take out of this is to have reliable people - the prosecution messed up against those cops because they had shaky testimony against them from Bell's friends.

Roll with some smart cats and don't roll with shady people to begin with.

Toyowha?

Potential Star
Registered
Think about it under cover cops, Those guys weren't major traffic dealers, gun smugglers, fbi most wanted. So why were the undercover cops at them. Samething happened to me too many times on a much smaller scale thats why I got the fuck out of NY.

They were investigating the strip joint for prostitution reasons, that's why there were undercovers in there from the get-go.