More Winter For Texas The South Central US

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
So far, we still got power. The ice is accumulating thick on the power lines and trees. Good to see Duke Energy on standby

I'm done with all this damn rain. Fortunately it doesn't appear to be icy outside where I am but there's definitely gonna be some flooding. This is the kind of rain/flooding that I would've looked forward to when I had that trash ass Nissan that needed to be totaled

Coldchi

Rising Star
Registered
This is some sad shit:smh:

i feel their pain. that shower shit.....actually works....turned my bathroom into a sauna for an hour or two.
my power was out for 18 hours. so i did grill the first night....and asked my neighbors if they had any food they wanted me
to grill for them since i was out there. Luckily i had plenty of firewood, so i wasnt at a loss there.

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Please explain :eek:

People usually think snow as being wet, which in fact there are different types based on the moisture availability in the atmosphere. We measure types of snow based on water content. For example, the snow that you build snowman’s with has a high moisture content. Lots of water to make a snowball. Then there is the dry snow. That’s the snow that breaks apart in your hand. You can’t make a snowball with it.

So the video of people burning snow, is snow that has an extremely low water content. That comes from extremely cold temps and low humidity. So if you melt dry snow, then you will barely get any water.

Key words for further reading or research: Snow Water Equivalent, Snow Mixing Ratio, Snow Pack Measurement.

kdogg3270

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
People usually think snow as being wet, which in fact there are different types based on the moisture availability in the atmosphere. We measure types of snow based on water content. For example, the snow that you build snowman’s with has a high moisture content. Lots of water to make a snowball. Then there is the dry snow. That’s the snow that breaks apart in your hand. You can’t make a snowball with it.

So the video of people burning snow, is snow that has an extremely low water content. That comes from extremely cold temps and low humidity. So if you melt dry snow, then you will barely get any water.

Key words for further reading or research: Snow Water Equivalent, Snow Mixing Ratio, Snow Pack Measurement.
good breakdown

Deezz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
i feel their pain. that shower shit.....actually works....turned my bathroom into a sauna for an hour or two.
my power was out for 18 hours. so i did grill the first night....and asked my neighbors if they had any food they wanted me
to grill for them since i was out there. Luckily i had plenty of firewood, so i wasnt at a loss there.
Good shit man...

havelcok

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Breaking: Ted Cruz just jumped on a plane with his family headed to Cancun.....

i shit u not.

the guy is an idiot
i understand sending his family out
all of us would do so if we were able to

but it would have been such an easy win
if he had stayed behind to do what Beto is doing

dude doesnt even have to do much

go out
shake a few hands, hand out a few packages
take a few pics then back to his nice wrm mansion

how could he shit the bed this badly?

cause Texans will still elect him over a democrat

kdogg3270

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
the guy is an idiot
i understand sending his family out
all of us would do so if we were able to

but it would have been such an easy win
if he had stayed behind to do what Beto is doing

dude doesnt even have to do much

go out
shake a few hands, hand out a few packages
take a few pics then back to his nice wrm mansion

how could he shit the bed this badly?

cause Texans will still elect him over a democrat
yeah that is a very bad look. apparently he doesn't give a fuck.

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member

Yep. New Yorkers would be talking cash shit about North Carolina for shutting down for an inch of snow. That video is the exact reason why. We have so many rural roads and wide open highways, it would be a disaster to allow people to even attempt to go out in that mess, especially if the snow storm catches people in rush hour traffic like it did Atlanta a few years ago.

Raleigh back in 2014

13390408-1483728900-640x360.jpg

Atlanta in 2014 snowmegeddon

5a9d4579-5453-44f8-a843-1d37b453e397_1140x641.jpg

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
Yep. New Yorkers would be talking cash shit about North Carolina for shutting down for an inch of snow. That video is the exact reason why. We have so many rural roads and wide open highways, it would be a disaster to allow people to even attempt to go out in that mess, especially if the snow storm catches people in rush hour traffic like it did Atlanta a few years ago.

Raleigh back in 2014

Guilty before I moved to Raleigh in late 2014. Now I know better

darth frosty

Dark Lord of the Sith
BGOL Investor
150576297_10159328477997445_4161350116410617606_o.jpg

"This Dominos in San Antonio. Working during this crisis. They had a weekend worth of food and it was gone within 4 hours. This team helped those that needed help. These are the essential workers that need recognition. They were the only pizza place open. Every pizza place was closed but dominos stayed open to help those in need." :) July DeLuna)

Darrkman

Hollis, Queens = Center of the Universe
BGOL Investor
Ridiculous :smh:

Texans have to hold their officials accountable. I was just thinking over night, that Texas doesn’t normally deal with a state wide weather events. Most of the time, hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, wildfires, and droughts effects specific areas.

The polar vortex reaching as south as it did effected the entire state with brutal cold temps on top of the snow and ice nearly 90% of the state received. This may not happen again for many years or it could happen again next year. Regardless, Texans have to hold their officials accountable.

They had something similar happen back in 2011 and still didn't do anything.

But yeah.....FREEDOM!!!!

Darrkman

Hollis, Queens = Center of the Universe
BGOL Investor

Raleigh back in 2014

Sister in law in Atlanta lives 1/2 hour drive from her job. When that snow storm hit it took her 5 HOURS to drive home.

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Raleigh back in 2014

And we had power, heat, lights in Snowmageddon. People down here were hurting and yet were the laughingstock of the nation.

I don't want people to laugh at Texas' pain, just wondering why that is.

djpolo

Rising Star
Platinum Member
It took me 4 hours to melt 55 gallons of snow. At 1st it seemed like it didn't wanna fucking melt. In the mic it took more than 25 min to melt. I have to be able to flush a toilet I eat too much damn fiber :lol: And MFs thought I was crazy when I bought 60 pounds of fish and 25 pounds of quinoa, 25 pounds of beans. I made some concrete weights I bought a desk bike and a desk elliptical.

darth frosty

Dark Lord of the Sith
BGOL Investor

2021-f-150-7-2kw-onboard-generator-texas-power-outage-1-jpg.8529

2021-f-150-7-2kw-onboard-generator-texas-power-outage-2-jpg.8530

2021-f-150-7-2kw-onboard-generator-texas-power-outage-3-jpg.8531

2021-f-150-7-2kw-onboard-generator-coffee-maker-1-jpg.8532

2021-f-150-7-2kw-onboard-generator-powering-appliances-jpg.8533

Texas man uses new 2021 Ford F-150 to heat home, power appliances during blackout

Texans trapped without electricity for days in their homes have suffered without heat or lights or the ability to run refrigerators or stoves despite freezing temperatures.

But Randy Jones, 66, a retired refinery worker from the town of Katy outside Houston and the owner of a 2021 Ford F-150 Hybrid truck with Pro Power onboard, generated envy on social media after posting images of how he's using his pickup to power his home and help neighbors during the blackout affecting millions in the Lone Star State.

"We were out from Sunday through Wednesday evening," he said early Thursday. "It's been miserably cold and frustrating to have loss of power for that many days."

The experience felt like a bad movie, something Jones said he couldn't really describe in words that would be printable in a family newspaper.

"You're living your life normally and all of a sudden you're thrust into the dark. I think it got around 9 degrees. It's been in mid-20s and low 30s. You don't expect that in south Texas. You don't expect to lose power when have nuclear, natural gas, wind and solar power," he said. "The truck gave us light at night, TV access to catch the news and weather. It helped give us a little bit of heat and a good pot of coffee."

He just bought his new F-150 the first week of February, replacing his 2015 F-150, which replaced his 2010 F-150.

"We have hurricanes down here more than freezes. We went through two hurricanes just a few months ago," Jones said. "I bought the truck specifically because of the generator for my own safety. I'm happy I bought it. Some of my neighbors are too, because they could charge their cell phones and iPads off my power supply."

His wife was away, visiting their son in Louisiana. They had power.

"It's just so unusual in this day and time to have a power outage for four days," Jones said. "You can't ever rule anything out. You always have to be prepared."

Jones took pictures and posted them on the f150gen14.com forum, saying, "2021 F-150 PowerBoost's 7.2kw Onboard Generator Saves the Day (3 days!) During Texas Power Outage.

He wrote earlier this week:

"A little south Texas 10-20 degree cold front took out the power for 3 days so I had a chance to try out the generator on my truck. I haven’t put in a switch to my house power panel yet so I just used a few extension cords. Ran power to some lights, coffee pot, 75” Tv, toaster oven, space heater and refrigerator. I ran it for about 10-12 hours per day to keep the freezer food frozen. I guess that’s not much load because it only used a few gallons of gas over that time. I am more than pleased on what it did for me.

Easy to use, just turn it on and forget it. I had to reset the 2 breakers in the truck bed to start since they were tripped by the salesman when he gave me the initial tour. Took the keys with me and locked my door. It started and stopped the engine occasionally. Cell service was out also so I didn’t get a chance to try the Ford Pass App. Much quieter than the neighbors generator and I didn’t have to refill it in the cold every 8 hours. No filling stations open so he was in the dark after his two 5 gallon cans ran out.

Ease of use: Check
Plenty of power for my needs: Check
Quiet service: Check
Glad I have: Check
Jones doesn't have a Twitter account but his images and experience were picked up and quickly shared by news consumers and fans of the F-150.

Ford CEO Jim Farley retweeted the image of the working truck and said, "The situation in the SW US is so difficult. Wish everyone in Texas had a new F150 with PowerBoost onboard generator...."

Dan Basile, 38, a cybersecurity analyst from Bryan, Texas, said Thursday he doesn't even have license plates on his new 2021 F-150 he purchased in January that he has used to heat his home during rolling blackouts in recent days.

He posted on the F-150 forum in response to Jones, "I have been doing the same thing! I figured I would use the 7.2 every now and then, but this sold it for me. Luckily the blower on the furnace only uses 400w. Been running for days with no issues. I only wish I could turn the screen on the dash off."

While his power was restored late Wednesday, Basile said he wasn't confident about how long it might last.

"I'm worried about aftereffects when we start finding broken pipes — there's no telling," he said.

Other forum comments from F-150 owners included:

• "I am doing the same thing in Texas. My power boost is running fridge lights cable modem router tv ... my power recliner coffee pot. It has been running constantly for 72 hours. It has used 1/4 tank of gas. Also am using extension cords as I haven’t wired my house yet. The Ford pass works great. This truck is amazing."
  • '"I find it easier to run power to it for a few hours a day. (going on day 4 now) It keeps everything frozen in the freezer and cool in the refrigerator section. With no power the temperature goes up and things defrost. No waste and no clean up.
  • "It might be a bit of a gimmick until you need it. While I didn't have a direct need for the 7.2KW option, I went for it. Glad it helped you out in a bad situation."
With the hybrid, the 2021 Ford F-150 comes standard with 2.4 KW that runs for 85 hours with a full tank of gas. Buyers often upgrade for $750 to a 7.2 KW system, which generates more power, and can run 32 hours at full load.

The gas-powered version has optional Pro Power with 2 KWfor $995.

The gas-powered 2021 F-150 starts at $28,940, including destination fees. The PowerBoost Hybrid is only available as a SuperCrew and starts at $43,485.

All F-150 pickups are built in Dearborn and Claycomo, Missouri.

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
And we had power, heat, lights in Snowmageddon. People down here were hurting and yet were the laughingstock of the nation.

I don't want people to laugh at Texas' pain, just wondering why that is.

people are just weird that way. No parts of the nation deals with weather the same way. NYC will likely never have to deal with Hurricane Harvey type situations the way Houston did. In contrast, Houston will likely not have to deal with 2 feet of snow like NYC has seen.

It’s just another example of people generalizing their experience on others that are not even from the same environment.

darth frosty

Dark Lord of the Sith
BGOL Investor
This is gonna get so much worse.

Thread

THREAD:

Let me explain why this Texas situation is so bad, so much worse than many people think and why the flooding-will-ruin-homes-thing makes this catastrophic...
When a home floods, normally you call the "flooded home" guys, they bring massive fans, pull out wet carpet, tear out wet drywall, and in about 2 to 4 days, your house is dry. You can then repair it and move on with your life.
If you can't do that because, say, the "Flooded home" guys are all busy, or there are not enough drying fans, or you don't have resources to do it... and if you live in a warm climate, within 3 days everywhere that is wet will turn to mold.
Then adjacent moist areas will turn to mold. If it is wet enough, the home may require gutting. Or the home may require being totally torn down. Or, if Apartment building, demolished.
The question on the table is: How many homes/apartment buildings/ businesses are now soaked with water?

We can calculate how many of those will be ruined for no way to dry them fast enough.

Consider tens of thousands of ruined homes. Or a hundred thousand.
Or more. Bizs, apartments, homes, all ruined, with no one to fix them. Sitting rotting, smelling.

Even if YOU had a generator, turned off water, saved your home, your entire neighborhood could be devastated destroying the value of your home.

This is Catastrophic disaster.
The question is: How many homes are now flooded?

That would give us a better idea of the problem. But right now, we just do not know that answer.
If we act quickly to move 1000s of people & fans there, we could save many homes.

This is a time-sensitive situation.

Just as I warned in Feb 2020 that every HOUR we did not mask and distance, 1000s or tens of 1000s would die & no one listened,

this, too,very time-sensitive.
Every home we can save, that's a half a million dollars.

Every Apartment building we can save.... millions.

We have precisely 6 days (3 more days of cold, 3 days until mold wins).
• • •

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
people are just weird that way. No parts of the nation deals with weather the same way. NYC will likely never have to deal with Hurricane Harvey type situations the way Houston did. In contrast, Houston will likely not have to deal with 2 feet of snow like NYC has seen.

It’s just another example of people generalizing their experience on others that are not even from the same environment.
Nyc just had another 3 inches of snow today.. more than 2 ft of snow within the month.. had to pretty much wear boots almost everyday.. damn snow and slush

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
THREAD:

Let me explain why this Texas situation is so bad, so much worse than many people think and why the flooding-will-ruin-homes-thing makes this catastrophic...
When a home floods, normally you call the "flooded home" guys, they bring massive fans, pull out wet carpet, tear out wet drywall, and in about 2 to 4 days, your house is dry. You can then repair it and move on with your life.
If you can't do that because, say, the "Flooded home" guys are all busy, or there are not enough drying fans, or you don't have resources to do it... and if you live in a warm climate, within 3 days everywhere that is wet will turn to mold.
Then adjacent moist areas will turn to mold. If it is wet enough, the home may require gutting. Or the home may require being totally torn down. Or, if Apartment building, demolished.
The question on the table is: How many homes/apartment buildings/ businesses are now soaked with water?

We can calculate how many of those will be ruined for no way to dry them fast enough.

Consider tens of thousands of ruined homes. Or a hundred thousand.
Or more. Bizs, apartments, homes, all ruined, with no one to fix them. Sitting rotting, smelling.

Even if YOU had a generator, turned off water, saved your home, your entire neighborhood could be devastated destroying the value of your home.

This is Catastrophic disaster.
The question is: How many homes are now flooded?

That would give us a better idea of the problem. But right now, we just do not know that answer.
If we act quickly to move 1000s of people & fans there, we could save many homes.

This is a time-sensitive situation.

Just as I warned in Feb 2020 that every HOUR we did not mask and distance, 1000s or tens of 1000s would die & no one listened,

this, too,very time-sensitive.
Every home we can save, that's a half a million dollars.

Every Apartment building we can save.... millions.

We have precisely 6 days (3 more days of cold, 3 days until mold wins).
• • •
Hey like I said something says this won’t be the last of this type of weather.. Texas gonna need a major upgrade all around.. cause with weather being irregular there’s a chance that this can happen again way faster than they will predict.. the sequel is coming the question is when.. so definitely worry about the current situation but think bigger for future situations

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Nyc just had another 3 inches of snow today.. more than 2 ft of snow within the month.. had to pretty much wear boots almost everyday.. damn snow and slush

And that would be crazy to someone from LA or Miami. Lol.

I’m definitely in between all of that. We dealing with ice, and some winter seasons we may see a foot of snow the entire winter. This season my city has seen about 2 inches of snow total and two bad ice storms.