MOVIES ~ Any of ya'll seen any good (or shitty) movies in recent weeks/months? Post reviews, feedback, movie news, trailers, recommendations, etc ...

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Saw The Mule a week ago. Pretty good. Couldn't really gauge the audience's reaction though - caught a 6:30pm Sunday showing during the holiday season at a multiplex. Running errands, free tix, etc. Multiplex holds 20 screens, but ours was only about 10% full with everyone spaced really far apart in the seating. Good cast with Pena, Eastwood, Fishburne, and Cooper. Movie doesn't waste much time at the start, and gets into the story fairly quickly ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mule_(2018_film)

The Mule is a 2018 American crime film produced and directed by Clint Eastwood, who also plays the lead role. The screenplay, by Nick Schenk, is based on The New York Times article "The Sinaloa Cartel's 90-Year-Old Drug Mule" by Sam Dolnick, which recounts the true story of Leo Sharp, a World War II veteran in his 80s who became a drug courier for the Sinaloa Cartel.

Along with Eastwood, the film stars Bradley Cooper, Laurence Fishburne, Michael Peña, Dianne Wiest, and Andy García. It is Eastwood's first acting project since 2012's Trouble with the Curve, and his first starring role in a film directed by him since 2008's Gran Torino. Filming began in June 2018, taking place in Atlanta and Augusta, Georgia.

The Mule was released in the United States on December 14, 2018, by Warner Bros. Pictures. It has grossed over $60 million and received mixed reviews from critics, who called it "poignant and charming" and praised Eastwood's performance, but also noted the lack of true dramatic heft.[2]

roots69

Rising Star
Registered
Saw Equalizer 2 and Finding Big Country over the weekend. Enjoyed both ... have always liked the Equalizer & John Wick realm/genre from Washington & Reeves respectively. Finding Big Country is a short-form doc' ... just under 45 mins ... released earlier this fall. Added the link below (and trailer) as it's available in full on Youtube ...

Damn, that big country doc was pretty interesting.. Seeing big country the only thing I could think about was, boy time flies by faster than a person thinks.. Anyway, thanks for the vid..

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Ben is Back

Fresh out of rehab and home for Christmas Ben puts his mother's love to the test

PRAISE: Julia Roberts is incredible as Holly Burns the loving but sleep with one eye open mother of trying his best to stay straight Lucas Hedges as Ben Burns.As one character says to her: Miss Burns you always tell it like it is !!
Courtney B. Vance is great as Neal Burns, Ben and Ivy's stepfather and Holly’s husband.
He wants to believe in Ben but he knows something is off.
His sister Kathryn Newton as Ivy Burns is also uneasy with him being home.
Ben is loving which is displayed nicely when he interacts with his younger brother and sister,but the skeletons of his addiction slowly but surely come out of the closet and when a person becomes deeply addicted the ripple effects and horrors of addiction are hand in hand with the skeletons.
In painful and moving scenes Holly finds out what her son was up to as he was in and out of rehab
There are lines of dialogue that blew me away and unexpected turns in the script were both shocking and humorous.

PROBLEMS:There were a few minor things that didnt ring true for me.

Ben is Back is right up there with the other my child is an addict how can i save him movie of 2018 Beautiful Boy.Well acted and deeply involving one of the best movies of 2018

Scale of 1-10 a 9

Destroyer

A cop on the edge of burning out pursues the person responsible for a deep cover mission she was involved in that went tragically wrong

PRAISE: Nicole Kidman is amazing as as Erin Bell.Sure they did a great job on her weathered by life make up,but Kidman lives in this character with her swagger and zoned out trance.Characters actually say to her:GO LAY DOWN !!
The intensity in her eyes coupled with her relentless pursuit of a character while also trying to reel in her daughter from going down a dark path is mesmerizing.
She will likely receive an Oscar nomination.
Tatiana Maslany was also quite good vanishing into her role.It's always great to see Sebastian Stantake on harder and edgier roles and Bradley Whitford brings all the right smugness to his role
Director Karyn Kusama puts together action sequences that are intense and involving.
There are some good character moments,beautifully scenes are laced with hypnotic visuals.

PROBLEMS: I believe more backstory for a specific character and more screen time for the gang of bank robbers would have given the film more punch.
Some visuals were a bit too dwelling and pointless.

This is a pretty smooth crime drama that kept me entertained throughout its 2 hour plus run time

Scale of 1-10 an 8

VICE

Dick Cheney and politics for Dummies...ha ha ha

PRAISE: The performances are top notch Christian Bale as Dick Cheney turns in another dedicated and immersive performance from the weight gain to the mannerisms everything done to a T !!
Amy Adams was very good as his scolding and no nonsense wife Lynne Cheney
I thought Steve Carell was great as Donald Rumsfeld.
Director Adam McKay simplifies politics as much as he can throughout the film with visuals,humor and other stylish ways.

PROBLEMS:Not enough screen time for Sam Rockwell as George W. Bush.
If you know how everything went down during Cheney's time in the White House there's nothing new to see here and you may get bored.
Not sure why McKay chose to dwell on certain objects,it's as if he hit a pause button for the audience to look at something pointless.

I enjoyed the film especially the performances.It is still interesting to see how Cheney low key redistributed government power and actually got a man he shot in the face to apologize to him and his family for all the bad press he received.

Scale of 1-10 a 7½

Holmes & Watson

So is this comedic take on the legendary characters Sherlock Holmes & Dr. John Watson truly one of the worst movies of 2018...well....

PRAISE: I laughed out loud several times at the sight gags,and one liners.Will Ferrell as Sherlock Holmes and John C. Reilly as Dr. John Watson still have comedic chemistry.
It was fun to see Rebecca Hall in a light comedic role for a change.A running gag was extremely funny.

PROBLEMS:Man did this movie run out of steam fast.I was shocked that some gags went on for so long in such a short movie.This only revealed that the film really didnt have that much of a script or plot.
Im not sure why Ralph Fiennes signed up for this he was only in 3 scenes and had 2 lines !!
There was some really weird voice dubbing throughout the film.

Wait for this to hit cable,it's not horrible but not worth a 12 dollar and up ticket price

Scale of 1-10 a 4

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Damn, that big country doc was pretty interesting.. Seeing big country the only thing I could think about was, boy time flies by faster than a person thinks.. Anyway, thanks for the vid..

Yeah - it was definitely a trip down memory lane. Being in Vancouver in junior high when he was drafted. Enjoyed the doc' too - and how she was able to tell her story about tracking him down in just under 45 mins. It's part of the featured content/doc' work on the Telus cable platform ... part of their On Demand section. They've got all types of short features and docs ranging from under 10 mins to over an hour. That one was one of the featured ones ... played at one of the film fests, etc.

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
VICE

Dick Cheney and politics for Dummies...ha ha ha

PRAISE: The performances are top notch Christian Bale as Dick Cheney turns in another dedicated and immersive performance from the weight gain to the mannerisms everything done to a T !!
Amy Adams was very good as his scolding and no nonsense wife Lynne Cheney
I thought Steve Carell was great as Donald Rumsfeld.
Director Adam McKay simplifies politics as much as he can throughout the film with visuals,humor and other stylish ways.

PROBLEMS:Not enough screen time for Sam Rockwell as George W. Bush.
If you know how everything went down during Cheney's time in the White House there's nothing new to see here and you may get bored.
Not sure why McKay chose to dwell on certain objects,it's as if he hit a pause button for the audience to look at something pointless.

I enjoyed the film especially the performances.It is still interesting to see how Cheney low key redistributed government power and actually got a man he shot in the face to apologize to him and his family for all the bad press he received.

Scale of 1-10 a 7½

Vice was like a documentary, but not a documentary. They made it interesting for a documentary, but it was boring in spots for a movie. It had some funny moments, but I thought it was going to be funnier. It was interesting seeing what he came from. And how his wife was his initial boost that got him started. And to see his background with Rumsfeld and how he manipulated his way in to being powerful in a role that is typically unseen.

I didn't know Tyler Perry was going to be Colin.

It's obvious why Republicans didn't like it.

Flawless

Flawless One
BGOL Investor
Vice was like a documentary, but not a documentary. They made it interesting for a documentary, but it was boring in spots for a movie. It had some funny moments, but I thought it was going to be funnier. It was interesting seeing what he came from. And how his wife was his initial boost that got him started. And to see his background with Rumsfeld and how he manipulated his way in to being powerful in a role that is typically unseen.

I didn't know Tyler Perry was going to be Colin.

It's obvious why Republicans didn't like it.
Wait until they see the new season of Punisher. The bad guy is going to the be a right wing christian fundamentalist.

roots69

Rising Star
Registered
Enjoyed Mission Impossible. It delivered as we’d hoped for. Big budget action flick. Motorcycle and car chases are always fun to watch when done well. The first big fight scene was great too. Wish it would have gone on longer. Well-shot and choreographed. Plenty of nice overhead shots of the shooting locations too (helicopter views, etc) Visually pleasing blockbuster.

Im going to check out Mission Impossible later tonight. Your spot on with your reviews, so that will be my way of bringing in the new year.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Im going to check out Mission Impossible later tonight. Your spot on with your reviews, so that will be my way of bringing in the new year.

Thanks, fam'. Happy new year. Funny story ... gave some movies to my dad & his gf. They like all types of genres - but especially action/thriller. Anyway - already saw Mission Impossible on the big screen back around August, so I knew it was good. Gave it the thumbs up review for them and others. So they watched the first 20 mins and she was like - "Nah, not feeling it ... kind of slow and boring" - I was like - "Damn ... you gotta restart watching it ... stick with it. It's one of the better action movies of the franchise, and certainly of this current year!" - especially that main fight scene. Wish that one went on longer!

:roflmao3::cheers:

roots69

Rising Star
Registered
Thanks, fam'. Happy new year. Funny story ... gave some movies to my dad & his gf. They like all types of genres - but especially action/thriller. Anyway - already saw Mission Impossible on the big screen back around August, so I knew it was good. Gave it the thumbs up review for them and others. So they watched the first 20 mins and she was like - "Nah, not feeling it ... kind of slow and boring" - I was like - "Damn ... you gotta restart watching it ... stick with it. It's one of the better action movies of the franchise, and certainly of this current year!" - especially that main fight scene. Wish that one went on longer!

Ill let you know my thoughts on it, by the morning.. Happy new year to you, also..

roots69

Rising Star
Registered

I watched MI and it was a good movie.. T Cruise plays a good role in all those MI movies.. I luv the action scenes and the clear and crisp view of all the scenery in all those movies.. Good pick, bruh

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
I watched MI and it was a good movie.. T Cruise plays a good role in all those MI movies.. I luv the action scenes and the clear and crisp view of all the scenery in all those movies.. Good pick, bruh

Thanks! Yes - great shooting locales, overhead shots, and Tom Cruise having fun and being fully invested in a series. Which is really telling 20+ years after the first one with a star in their 50s still doing the majority of their own stunts even though they could easily pass the harder stunt work off to a younger stunt double. That foot/ankle injury off the building that delayed filming is a perfect example. Taking helicopter training, etc. Cruise is having fun wilding out. Fun stuff that translates to the viewers and fanbase for MI on the whole.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Saw Eighth Grade. Well-acted by everyone involved, as they actually cast people that were age appropriate (and not like 90210 that would have 20 and 30-somethings playing high schoolers, or in this case middle- and high-schoolers). Great performance from the lead Elsie Fisher. She's nominated in the Best Actress category for tomorrow's Golden Globe Awards. 3 of the best scenes are in the final 20 or so minutes ... the bonfire, chicken nuggets & fries dinner, and speaking her mind in the hallway.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/eighth_grade/reviews/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_accolades_received_by_Eighth_Grade

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eighth_Grade_(film)#Critical_response

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/the-cringey-teen-spirit-of-eighth-grade

Eighth Grade is a 2018 American comedy-drama film written and directed by Bo Burnham. It is his feature film directorial debut. The plot follows the life and struggles of an eighth-grader, played by Elsie Fisher, during her last week of classes before graduating to high school. She struggles with social anxiety but produces video blogs giving life advice.

Burnham was inspired by his own struggles with anxiety when he began writing the screenplay in 2014. He had difficulty finding funding for the project until 2016. Shooting began in Suffern and White Plains, New York, in summer 2017. Fisher was cast after Burnham noticed her on YouTube; she led a cast including Josh Hamilton and Emily Robinson. Themes include heavy use of social media, mental health in Generation Z and sexuality and consent.

The film premiered on January 19, as part of the U.S. Dramatic Competition section of the 2018 Sundance Film Festival. After other festival screenings, it was released theatrically in the United States by A24 on July 13, 2018. Its R rating from the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) inspired criticism, as its decision blocked many eighth-grade viewers from seeing the film in theatres. In response, the distributors arranged free, unrated screenings across the U.S. Eighth Grade completed its North American run grossing $13.5 million on a $2 million budget.

Eighth Grade received acclaim from critics, with praise for Burnham's screenplay and direction and Fisher's performance, and was chosen by both the National Board of Review and American Film Institute as one of the Top 10 Films of 2018. The film received numerous awards and nominations and is nominated for four Independent Spirit Awards, including Best Feature; and a Golden Globe for Best Actress for Fisher.

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
8th Grade was one of my favorite movies from the year

Second Act was ok. I thought it was going to be funnier. The asian girl was funny, but nobody else really was. The plot twist was sort of corny and it could have been a decent movie without being so unbelievable. It's 10 million people in New York. :hmm:

J Lo looks really good for her age. :cool:

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
8th Grade was one of my favorite movies from the year

Second Act was ok. I thought it was going to be funnier. The asian girl was funny, but nobody else really was. The plot twist was sort of corny and it could have been a decent movie without being so unbelievable. It's 10 million people in New York. :hmm:

J Lo looks really good for her age. :cool:

Yeah - Eighth Grade delivered. Easy running time at an hour and a half. A believable lead star portraying the lack of self-esteem / confidence ... the uncertainty at that age ... plenty of cringe moments ... the role of technology & social media in feeling isolated, etc.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Have seen the first 2/3rds of this one so far. It's a good watch and well-acted by everyone involved.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beautiful_Boy_(2018_film)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beautiful_Boy_(2018_film)#Accolades

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/beautiful_boy_2018/reviews/

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1226837/

Beautiful Boy is a 2018 American biographical and drama film directed by Felix Van Groeningen, in his English-language feature debut. The screenplay, written by Luke Davies and Van Groeningen, is based on the memoirs Beautiful Boy: A Father's Journey Through His Son's Addiction by David Sheff and Tweak: Growing Up on Methamphetamines by Nic Sheff. It stars Steve Carell, Timothée Chalamet, Maura Tierney, and Amy Ryan, and deals with the strained relationship between a father and his drug-addicted teenage son.

Beautiful Boy had its world premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival on September 7, 2018, and was theatrically released in the United States on October 12, 2018, by Amazon Studios. The film received generally positive reviews from critics, who praised the performances of Carell and Chalamet.[4] For his work, Chalamet earned nominations at the Golden Globes, Screen Actor Guild, and BAFTA Awards.

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
THE UPSIDE

Through a job an unlikely friendship forms between two men who couldnt be more different.

PRAISE: I applaud Kevin Hart as Dell Scott for not only taking on a more serious role but what he brings to the table shaping a character that i started to root for from the first frames of the film to the end.I wanted him to reddeem himself from his faults that are fleshed out in the film
Bryan Cranston was great as the rich Phillip Lacasse.Portraying a quadriplegic,it's a tough physical performance in which Cranston can only move his head and neck.
The chemistry between Hart and Cranston is terrific.
Nicole Kidman is in and out of the film as Lacasse's loyal secretary,she's such a good actress even her brief moments shine.
There is good humor throughout,with dramatic moments also.
One scene was beyond moving which mainly plays out through the eyes ,unease and glances from the characters.

PROBLEMS: Some over done moments. Some comedic moments were a bit drawn out and took me out of the film.Some scenes felt forced.

This is Kevin Hart's best role IMO .He wasnt obnoxious or over the top.The performances of the key players uplift the film and i was left with something very moving.

A very good movie to start 2019 with

Scale of 1-10 an 8

ESCAPE ROOM

Escape Rooms have become so popular we may be witnessing the birth of a new film series....or just SAW light

PRAISE:
Escape Room starts off well enough,as the players are introduced.The introvert Zoey (Taylor Russell) only time for business Jason (Jay Ellis),and sidelined by vice Ben (Logan Miller).
The aforementioned are focused on the most which was cool and other players are introduced later Amanda (Deborah Ann Woll), an army vet suffering from PTSD; Mike (Tyler Labine), a truck driver; and Danny (Nik Dodani)
The various rooms were fun,each more elaborate and difficult to get out of than the last.
Some suspenseful moments are scattered throughout the first half.

PROBLEMS:
There wasnt enough to completely engage me.I was only partially pulled in.It didnt help that one scene in the beginning revealed a bit to much.
Some of the acting was lukewarm at best.It felt like i was watching a SAW film with far less gore.Some of the SFX looked bland and cheap.The multiple endings were lame and just an explanation of what came before that i have seen in about 5 other films.

Wait for cable for some fun watching it at home with friends or family,not really worth the trip to a theatre.

Scale of 1-10 a 4½

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Saw Wildlife the other day. Minimal Jake G' in the film as he's away from the family for the most part ... well-acted by Carey Mulligan and Ed Oxenbould (who plays her teenage son). He does a good job in the non-speaking portions observing what's going on around him & the dissolution of his family in 1960 - Great Falls, Montana. The viewers/audience see things through his eyes, in a sense. Good effort from first-time director Paul Dano (known for his acting) and also handling co-writing and producing. The movie is a slow build, so it won't be for everybody ... but it was interesting.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/wildlife_2018/reviews/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wildlife_(film)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Dano#Filmography

Wildlife is a 2018 American drama film directed by Paul Dano and co-written by Dano and Zoe Kazan. It is based on the novel of the same name by Richard Ford first published in 1990. The film stars Carey Mulligan, Jake Gyllenhaal, Ed Oxenbould, and Bill Camp; it is Dano's directorial debut. The film was acclaimed by critics, with many praising Mulligan and Gyllenhaal's performances. In December 2018, the film received award for the Best film at the 36th Torino Film Festival.

The film had its premiere at the Sundance Film Festival on January 20, 2018.[3] It was released in the United States on October 19, and in the United Kingdom on November 9, 2018.

Wildlife_film_poster.jpg

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
SERENITY

Mr.McConaughey your new movie is not alright,alright,alright !!!!

PRAISE: The movie starts off well enough.Sometimes up and sometimes down fishermen Baker Dill(Matthew McConaughey) and his off and on again fishing partner
Duke (Djimon Hounsou),take people out on big catch fishing expeditions.There's the sultry Constance (Diane Lane),who Dill hits the sheets with for cash.Then his ex Karen Zariakas (Anne Hathaway)walks back into his life with femme fatale swagger and complications ,and is now married to the rich,smug, and nasty Frank (Jason Clarke).
The cast really gives it their all and there is enough in the first half to hold my interest.
After awhile i said to myself well this is basically like the 20 Lifetime movies i have been forced to watch over the years but hey lets see how they execute this it might be basic but interesting....then the reveals came and i wasnt ready.

PROBLEMS:
The twist was lukewarm to me and it's funny i thought they had given it away in recent TV ads for the movie but boy was i wrong.The execution is long and drawn out.To talky with lame symbolism and weirdly shot scenes.Then i realized how much more was meaningless really everything was and it actually made me laugh.The conclusion was so obnoxious i sat up in my seat,looked at the floor and laughed some more.
In fact when i really think about it the conclusion is kind of creepy.

I know this will end up on a lot of the worst of 2019 lists.I suggest you rent this or watch it when it hits cable and have a few drinks while doing so

Scale of 1-10 a 3½

Dirtylakerie

Rising Star
Platinum Member

Skyline

Beyond skyline

Skyline in my opinion was better. Beyond skyline, was only alright. The sequel was made 7 years later. And it basically cut and paste footage. From skyline to speed up the story line. I guess for people who wasn't familiar with the original movie.

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member

Skyline

Beyond skyline

Skyline in my opinion was better. Beyond skyline, was only alright. The sequel was made 7 years later. And it basically cut and paste footage. From skyline to speed up the story line. I guess for people who wasn't familiar with the original movie.

Hmph...never saw the original.

Flawless

Flawless One
BGOL Investor

been tired of the america is the good guy movies

but i can never miss a good submarine joint

This would have been so much better if they had worked on the pacing

everything was too fast paced to build suspense
and the linchpin of all great sub movies is the suspense

still a decent effort.

6.5/10

This was a good propaganda/recruitment movie, very intense.