• Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)

Votes: 12 8.2%

• Total voters

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Which is the best (or your favorite) classic hip-hop album of the 90's

ATribeCalledQuestTheLowEndtheory.jpg

The Low End Theory is the second album by American hip hop group A Tribe Called Quest. Released on September 24, 1991 through Jive Records, the album produced three singles: "Check the Rhime," "Jazz (We've Got)," and "Scenario."
The Low End Theory helped shape alternative hip hop in the 1990s. It established the musical, cultural, and historical link between hip hop and jazz. The album was considered an instant classic with a 5 mics rating in The Source. Rolling Stone ranked the album at number 154 in "The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time", stating that "people connected the dots between hip-hop and jazz -- both were revolutionary forms of black music based in improvisation and flow -- but A Tribe Called Quest's second album drew the entire picture."
In Time magazine's "ALL-TIME 100" albums, Josh Tyrangiel called the record an exception to jazz rap often being "wishful thinking on the part of critics". "The Low End Theory was voted at number thirty-two in The Village Voice's 1991 Pazz & Jop critics poll. AllMusic writer John Bush, who declared it "the most consistent and flowing hip-hop album ever recorded", summed up the record as "an unqualified success, the perfect marriage of intelligent, flowing raps to nuanced, groove-centered productions." On February 1, 1995, the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) certified the album platinum.

220px-Dr.DreTheChronic.jpg

The Chronic is the debut studio album by American hip hop recording artist Dr. Dre. It was released on December 15, 1992, by his own record label Death Row Records and distributed by Priority Records. Upon its release, The Chronic received generally positive reviews from music critics and earned considerable commercial success. The album peaked at number three on the Billboard 200 and had been certified triple platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America with sales of 5.7 million copies in the United States, which led to Dr. Dre becoming one of the top ten best-selling American performing artists of 1993.Dr. Dre's production has been noted for popularizing the G-funk subgenre within gangsta rap. The Chronic has been widely regarded as one of the most important and influential albums of the 1990s and regarded by many fans and peers to be one of the most well-produced hip hop albums of all time.

220px-Wu-TangClanEntertheWu-Tangalbumcover.jpg

Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) is the debut studio album by the American hip hop group Wu-Tang Clan, released November 9, 1993, on Loud Records and distributed through RCA Records.
The distinctive sound of Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) created a blueprint for hardcore hip hop during the 1990s and helped return New York City hip hop to national prominence. Its sound also became greatly influential in modern hip hop production, while the group members' explicit, humorous, and free-associative lyrics have served as a template for many subsequent hip hop records. Serving as a landmark record in the era of hip hop known as the East Coast Renaissance, its influence helped lead the way for several other East Coast hip hop artists, including Nas, The Notorious B.I.G., Mobb Deep, and Jay-Z.

Despite its raw, underground sound, the album had surprising chart success, peaking at number 41 on the US Billboard 200 chart. By 1995, it was certified platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America, and has sold over two million copies in the United States.[1] Initially receiving positive reviews from most music critics, Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) is widely regarded as one of the most significant albums of the 1990s, as well as one of the greatest hip hop albums ever. In 2003, it was ranked number 386 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time.

220px-SnoopDoggyDoggDoggystyle.jpg

Doggystyle is the debut studio album from American West Coast hip hop artist Snoop Dogg, then known as Snoop Doggy Dogg, released by Death Row Records on November 23, 1993.
Doggystyle has earned recognition from many music critics as one of the most significant albums of the 1990s, as well as one of the most important hip hop albums ever released. Much like The Chronic, the distinctive sounds of Doggystyle helped introduce the hip hop style of G-funk to a mainstream audience, bringing forward West Coast hip hop as a dominant force in the early 1990s. As of 2008, the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) has certified Doggystyle quadruple platinum in sales, and it serves as Snoop Dogg's highest-selling album.

Doggystyle debuted at number one on the Billboard 200 chart, and sold 806,858 copies in its first week alone, which was the record for a debuting artist and the fastest-selling hip hop album ever until Eminem's The Marshall Mathers LP in 2000. Doggystyle is included in The Source magazine's list of the 100 Best Rap Albums, as well as Rolling Stone magazine's list of Essential Recordings of the 90s. About.com placed the album in number 19 of the greatest hip hop/rap albums of all time.

220px-NasIllmatic.jpg

Illmatic is the debut studio album by American rapper Nas, released on April 19, 1994, by Columbia Records.
The album debuted at #12 on the U.S. Billboard 200 chart, selling 59,000 copies in its first week. However, its initial sales fell below expectations and its five singles failed to achieve significant chart success. Despite the album's low initial sales, Illmatic received rave reviews from most music critics, who praised its production and Nas' lyricism. On January 17, 1996, the album was certified Gold by the Recording Industry Association of America, and on December 11, 2001 it earned a Platinum certification after shipping one million copies in the United States.

Since its initial reception, Illmatic has been recognized by writers and music critics as a landmark album in East Coast hip hop. Its influence on subsequent hip hop artists has been attributed to the album's production and Nas' lyricism. It also contributed to the revival of the New York City rap scene, introducing a number of stylistic trends to the region. The album remains one of the most widely celebrated albums in hip hop history, appearing on numerous best album lists by critics and publications.

220px-Ready_To_Die.jpg

Ready to Die is the debut studio album by American rapperThe Notorious B.I.G.; it was released on September 13, 1994, by Bad Boy Records.Ready to Die was released to critical acclaim and became a commercial success, achieving gold certification. In 1995, after the release, the album became a certified double platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America(RIAA),[1] and the album has reached a certified quadruple platinum with sales. It was significant for revitalizing the east coast hip hop scene, amid West Coast hip hop's commercial dominance.The album's second single, "Big Poppa", was nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Rap Solo Performance at the 1996 Grammy Awards. Ready to Die has been regarded by many music critics as one of the greatest hip-hop albums of all time. In 2003, it was ranked number 133 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time, making it the third highest hip hop album on the list after It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back and Raising Hell. In 2006, Time included it on their list of the 100 greatest albums of all time.

220px-Raekwon_only.jpg

Only Built 4 Cuban Linx... is the solo debut album of American rapper and Wu-Tang Clan member Raekwon, released on August 1, 1995, by Loud Records and RCA Records.[1] The album was loosely composed to play like a film with Raekwon as the "star," fellow Wu-Tang member Ghostface Killah as the "guest-star," and producer RZA as the "director."
Upon its release, Only Built 4 Cuban Linx... debuted at number four on the Billboard 200 chart, and number two on theTop R&B/Hip-Hop Albums chart, while selling 130,000 copies in its opening week.[3] The album was certified gold by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) on October 2, 1995,[4] and according to Nielsen Soundscan, it has sold 1.1 million copies in the United States alone.[5] Although it failed to acquire the same initial sales success as previous Wu-Tang solo albums, Cuban Linx achieved greater critical praise, with many complimenting its cinematic lyricism and production.

Only Built 4 Cuban Linx... has received acclaim from music critics and writers over the years, with many lauding it as one of the greatest hip hop albums of all time. In 2012, Rolling Stone magazine placed it at number 480 on their 500 Greatest Albums of All Time list.

220px-Fugees_score.jpg

The Score is the second and final studio album by the hip hop trio Fugees, released worldwide February 13, 1996 onColumbia Records. Upon its release, The Score was a commercial success, peaking at the number one spot on both the Billboard 200, and the Top R&B/Hip Hop Albums chart (it was a number-one album on the latter in 1996 on the year-end chart). The singles "Killing Me Softly", "Fu-Gee-La", and "Ready or Not" also achieved notable chart success, and helped the group achieve worldwide recognition. On October 3, 1997, The Score was certified six times platinum in sales by theRecording Industry Association of America (RIAA). In addition to receiving mostly favorable reviews upon its release, the album has garnered a considerable amount of acclaim over the years, with many music critics and publications noting it as one of the greatest albums of the 1990s, as well as one of the greatest hip hop albums of all time. In 1998, the album was included in The Source's 100 best rap albums list, and in 2003, it was ranked number 477 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time.

220px-Alleyezonme.jpg

All Eyez on Me is the fourth studio album by American rapper 2Pac, released on February 13, 1996 under Death Row Records and distributed by Interscope Records.

The album is frequently recognized as one of the crowning achievements of 1990s rap music.The album featured the Billboard Hot 100 number one singles "How Do U Want It" and "California Love". Chart-wise, All Eyez on Me was the second album from 2Pac to hit number-one on both the Billboard 200 and the Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums charts. The album won the 1997 Soul Train R&B/Soul or Rap Album of the Year Award.Shakur also won the Award for Favorite Rap/Hip-Hop Artist at the 24th Annual American Music Awards and is also commonly referred to as one of the greatest hip hop/rap albums of all time. The album was certified Diamond by theRIAA on July 23, 2014.

Best Classic Hip-Hop Album Of The 80's?

http://www.bgol.us/forum/index.php?threads/best-classic-hip-hop-album-of-the-80s.883222/

Last edited:

TimRock

Don't let me be misunderstood
BGOL Investor
Tough choice. I went with Raekwon, I still listen to it till this day. Doggystyle and Ready to Die are legendary. I'd add Onyx first album too.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
very very tough

Its easier for me knock some off.

I would knock off Dre and Pac (not easy)

You know what?

forget all that ATCQ is #1

Nas is the PERFECT album with only ONE song that maybe kinda sorta isn't a CLASSIC.

I aint never taking off Biggie

Damn Purple Tape? Wu Tang perfection. I just can't

SNOOP!!!!!

And you already know how I feel about Fugees...

But it has to be Tribe just because it is the correct answer.

Better question?

will we EVER have a collection of classic music AGAIN in a 10 year span?

If you check the CURRENT rap/hip hop billboard top 9 artists...do they even have ONE classic?

Dragonfly Jones

Home practicing on my arts
Registered
All good choices but if it's only one album I could choose and listen to again it would be Snoops. That was the album my friends and I talked about the most. We still quote that Harold Melvin without the bluenotes that shit never go platinum.

JJWALKER

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
My list would of had some different artist on here (Ironman, Liquid Swords, Jay-Z, others...), but the OP's list is good regardless.

My ranking just from this list above

1) Illmatic
2) Cuban Linx (Close 2nd)
3) 36 Chambers
4)Ready to Die
5) Low end Theory
6)The Chronic
7) Doggystyle
8)All Eyes on me
9) The Score

I wasn't the biggest westcoast fan growing up. I enjoy it more now than I did in the 90's

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Never... And i'm not even talking about just hip-hip. Every genre of music had solid music. Hip-hop, R&B, Soul, House, Rock, Alternative... Incredible decade of music.

Someone needs to write a book...imagine a serious of audio books debating that?

WhenTheGoingGetsTtuff

Rising Star
Registered
I've never understood the appeal of west coast stuff. To me that was the beginning of the crap music we have today. I was a Tupac fan the first 2 albums. Then it went west coast and then it was....garbage.

grownazzblakman

Rising Star
Platinum Member
C'mon buh, you are missing quite a few Classic (90’s) Hip Hop Albums from your list. :yes:

In no particular order… :rolleyes:

1990 Public Enemy - Fear of a Black Planet

Fear_of_a_Black_Planet.jpg

1999 Most Def - Black on Both Sides

MosDefBlackonBothSides.jpg

1998 Big Pun - Capital Punishment

Capital_Punishment_1998.jpg

1998 Lauren Hill - The Miseducation of Lauren Hill

LaurynHillTheMiseducationofLaurynHillalbumcover.jpg

1996 The Roots - Illadelph Halflife

Illadelph.jpg

1993 Souls of Mischief - ’93 til Infinity

JIVE41514LP.jpg

1998 Mos Def & Talib Kweli are Black Star

MosDef%26TalibKweliBlackStar.jpg

1995 Mobb Depp - The Infamous

homepage_large.217a88ce.jpg

1995 Bone Thugs-N-Harmony - E. 1999 Eternal

E_1999_Eternal_cover.jpg

1999 Pharoahe Monch - Internal Affairs

51Ad2ww83QL._SY355_.jpg

1993 Cypress Hill - Black Sunday

Cypress_Hill-Black_Sunday.jpg

1995 Pharcyde – Labcabincalifornia

56b0d5fd2a9254f5f6ccf9c3f6f7711598ab90e1

1996 Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt

Reasonable_Doubt_New.jpg

1996 OutKast - ATLiens

Outkast-atliens.jpg

1992 Redman - Whut? Thee Album

Whuttheealbum.jpg

Raeeb7

Rising Star
Registered
Ima New York \East coast drug dealer rap dude for my music don't judge me, but the Chronic changed the game. My momma liked the Chronic that was the only rap album she ever let play in her car. The fuck skit and all. Anything else she was like hells no. Personally I liked other shit more but Dre had my momma hooked :smh: so Ima ride wit him.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
C'mon buh, you are missing quite a few Classic (90’s) Hip Hop Albums from your list. :yes:

In no particular order… :rolleyes:

1990 Public Enemy - Fear of a Black Planet

Fear_of_a_Black_Planet.jpg

1999 Most Def - Black on Both Sides

MosDefBlackonBothSides.jpg

1998 Big Pun - Capital Punishment

Capital_Punishment_1998.jpg

1998 Lauren Hill - The Miseducation of Lauren Hill

LaurynHillTheMiseducationofLaurynHillalbumcover.jpg

1996 The Roots - Illadelph Halflife

Illadelph.jpg

1993 Souls of Mischief - ’93 til Infinity

JIVE41514LP.jpg

1998 Mos Def & Talib Kweli are Black Star

MosDef%26TalibKweliBlackStar.jpg

1995 Mobb Depp - The Infamous

homepage_large.217a88ce.jpg

1995 Bone Thugs-N-Harmony - E. 1999 Eternal

E_1999_Eternal_cover.jpg

1999 Pharoahe Monch - Internal Affairs

51Ad2ww83QL._SY355_.jpg

1993 Cypress Hill - Black Sunday

Cypress_Hill-Black_Sunday.jpg

1995 Pharcyde – Labcabincalifornia

56b0d5fd2a9254f5f6ccf9c3f6f7711598ab90e1

1996 Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt

Reasonable_Doubt_New.jpg

1996 OutKast - ATLiens

Outkast-atliens.jpg

1992 Redman - Whut? Thee Album

Whuttheealbum.jpg

:bravo::bravo::bravo::bravo::bravo::bravo:

ak_rep

Rising Star
Registered
Amerikkka's Most . . . on the West Side.

36 Chambers . . . on the East Side.

ATLiens and The Diary . . . down South.

One Day It'll All Make Sense . . . North Side.

TruDat

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Amerikkka's Most . . . on the West Side.

36 Chambers . . . on the East Side.

ATLiens and The Diary . . . down South.

One Day It'll All Make Sense . . . North Side.

I have no problem with these choices.

For me, it's best to ask which were the 10 best hip hop albums in the 90's
because most of selected choices in the poll are bangers.

Shit include Rza - "Liquids Swords"
and my answer would be ALL THE ABOVE.

I would take the Fugees - The Score off the list though.

ak_rep

Rising Star
Registered
I have no problem with these choices.

For me, it's best to ask which were the 10 best hip hop albums in the 90's
because most of selected choices in the poll are bangers.

Shit include Rza - "Liquids Swords"
and my answer would be ALL THE ABOVE.

I would take the Fugees - The Score off the list though.

Yeah, LS is brilliant. Took me awhile because it sounded so different. Had the single ""Liquid Swords", before the album.

Was like Wu Tang fucked up this time, chuckling. Trying to be too different.:lol:

That beat came on 'thun, thun, thun, thun, thun, thun.' No heavy kick drum.:smh: Kept playing it and became on my favorite songs. Like a super hero's theme music.

That album really matured me as a listener. Very murky and calculated.

I could go on and on about albums. I don't want to speak for everyone and say The Best of the 90s. Just my personal best/ favorites.

That Moment of Truth album is incredible. The Infamous. Soul Food. The Score is one of my favorite albums. Can't go wrong. It's crazy.

therealjondoe

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
So far no one has voted for them. And chances are it will stay that way. Outside of the singles, what was classic about it? Selling millions off of a cover tune don't make an album classic either.
I can play that album straight thru no skips.
I'd rather listen to that than Illmatic and The Low End Theory.
Sacrilege I know

PDQ21

Rising Star
Platinum Member
When Doggystyle dropped it was in a class by itself

Only momentum in hip hop history could compare was when It's Dark And Hell Is Hot and Get Rich Or Die Trying dropped

I'm talking from the street to the Pop charts those 3 albums was Huge for rap period so Doggystyle easily wins this poll

My favorite album of the 90s was Makaveli The 7 Day Theory, no album in history is touching it IMO

36 Chambers n Reasonable Doubt is Top 5

PDQ21

Rising Star
Platinum Member
So far no one has voted for them. And chances are it will stay that way. Outside of the singles, what was classic about it? Selling millions off of a cover tune don't make an album classic either.
This

I'd put Miseducation of Lauryn Hill n Wyclef The Carnival over this shit

Just like Me Against The World n Makaveli over All Eyes On Me

kareem chin

Star
BGOL Investor
When Doggystyle dropped it was in a class by itself

Only momentum in hip hop history could compare was when It's Dark And Hell Is Hot and Get Rich Or Die Trying dropped

I'm talking from the street to the Pop charts those 3 albums was Huge for rap period so Doggystyle easily wins this poll

My favorite album of the 90s was Makaveli The 7 Day Theory, no album in history is touching it IMO

36 Chambers n Reasonable Doubt is Top 5

tumblr_nch119KO2B1se3w1bo1_400.gif