Kendrick Perkins on LBJ legacy - "A couple of more titles and that's it."

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Teammates of LeBron James say he's close to dethroning Michael Jordan as the best to ever play

-4628a50dd88ff25c.jpg

CLEVELAND, Ohio – After willing his team to a 3-0 series lead in the Eastern Conference Finals at The Q on Sunday night with an exhilarating performance, a long soak in the cold tub followed.

When LeBron James finally entered the locker room, he made quite the entrance in bumping "Fire and Desire" by Teena Marie and Rick James on his Beats sound system.

The title of that R&B classic is what it took to lead his team to the victory. It took fire and desire for James to withstand a 0-for-10 start, the worst opening of his career. It took fire and desire to withstand the leg cramps, the ankle sprain and the stiffening back.

It took his 12th career postseason triple-double of 37 points, 18 rebounds and 13 assists to place the Atlanta Hawks on the brink of embarking on an extended vacation. He became the first player in playoff history to produce a stat line of at least 37 points, 18 boards and 13 dimes.

His greatness, his dominance can no longer be brushed to the side. There are those who believe his time has almost come.

Michael Jordan's long-coveted slot as the supreme basketball player in the history of the game is in serious jeopardy of being dropped down a peg.

"A couple of more titles and that's it."
"The only thing that he's missing is a couple more championships and then it's a wrap," Kendrick Perkins told Northeast Ohio Media Group. "Right now we have arguably the best player to ever play the game. I'm just saying man. I'm not taking anything away from Jordan, but all (James is) missing is titles. A couple of more titles and that's it."

Perkins has played with some of the greats in Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen, Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook. He grew up watching Jordan play.

His Airness claimed six NBA titles in six NBA Finals appearances. James has secured two Larry O'Brien trophies in five opportunities.

At the rate the Cavaliers are going with their drive and resolve, a 51-year professional championship drought is on the verge of collapsing. Five wins separate the Cavaliers from finally exhaling.

In the meantime, the Hawks have another brutal appointment on Tuesday with the havoc, destruction and sheer brute force known as LeBron James, perhaps the best player to step foot on a hardwood floor.

"That's one hell of a debate. Honestly, in my opinion, if it's not Jordan then it's him," J.R. Smith told NEOMG. "It used to be no question. It was a landslide. It was Jordan. Now, you have to consider my boy."

So cool and so calmly, James knocked down a corner three in overtime by eluding Paul Millsap with a pump-fake before launching his trey that put the Cavaliers up one and up for good with 36 seconds remaining.

Tristan Thompson, who has been playing like a mad man, wrestled down the offensive board from a missed James jumper and got the ball right back to him for that dagger of a three, earning the most vital assist of his career thus far.

"I saw in his mind that he wanted to go back up for that shot and I yelled his name probably as loud as I could yell it because I wanted another opportunity," James said.

A gritty Hawks team clawed and scratched their way to making it a game. Already without Kyle Korver, Atlanta had Al Horford -- who was brilliant in the first half -- ejected for imitating Macho Man Randy Savage with a flying elbow drop that nearly connected on the side of Matthew Dellavedova's head.

Atlanta was depleted, and still managed to put up a fight.

That's where fire and desire came into play. Cleveland was confronted by an opponent determined to steal a game at The Q and make the series interesting. James wouldn't have any of that. Soon enough, the team followed his lead.

James said "you never have control of the series until you end it." This team is focused.

"Yes sir, this is a championship team," Anderson Varejao said to NEOMG. "I'm proud of everybody. Guys are doing an unbelievable job. Everybody is ready every time their names are called. We're responding well to all the injuries we had throughout the whole season and I really believe that we have a good chance to finish it on Tuesday."

Speaking of finish, James drove to the basket and finished a vicious one-handed slam over Kent Bazemore and Mike Muscala in the third quarter. The Hawks weren't expecting that burst.

James ran himself into exhaustion. Immediately after the game he fell to the floor, trying to catch his breath. That's what it took on this night.

Smith was so immersed in the vibe of the evening that he briefly joined the media where James and Dellavedova were taking questions at the podium. He requested the microphone, but was respectfully turned down. It was classic moment that never happened.

James, the greatest of all time? We'll find out soon enough. Fire and Desire? It was an appropriate postgame soundtrack. The journey continues.

"Just think about it, truthfully, if he wanted to, he could win the MVP every year," Perkins said. "Think about that. He averaged 25 [points], 6 [rebounds] and 7 [assists]. That's absurd, and people are like 'he had a down year.' That's crazy talk. When it's all said and done, he'll probably be the best the game has seen."

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
The older folks who love Jordan isn't going to like this thread.

Shit... Probably a few of our own would like this thread...doubt age will have anything to do with it...escpeically if your not a fan of dude

D'Evils

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Re: Kendrick Perkins on LBJ legacy - "A couple of more titles and that's it."

Nope, 2 out of 5. Ain't gonna cut it.

ron_mexico

Rising Star
Registered
In order to be in the Jordan convo he would need some more rings. But as of now...He's better than Kobe and he doesn't need 5 rings to prove that.

No way Kobe could make this playoff run with this cavs team, No way...I even have my doubts about Jordan.

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
My favorite player is Oscar Robertson. LeBron is definitely cool with me.

Yup fa sho...I'll say this Westbrook 2015 season kinda had me pissed with LBJ to some degree...

I feel dude could really dominate the glass, escpeically since he don't play defense like previous years... I do understand TT, Mov and Kevin is there also...

Just think averaging 25, 10, 6 would be crazy...

tical

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
In order to be in the Jordan convo he would need some more rings. But as of now...He's better than Kobe and he doesn't need 5 rings to prove that.

No way Kobe could make this playoff run with this cavs team, No way...I even have my doubts about Jordan.

:rolleyes:

DADDY4HOES

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Jordan won his titles while competing against Utah ( Malone/Stockton ), Houston ( Akeem ), Portland ( Drexler ), Lakers ( Scott, Worthy ), Phoenix (Barkley ), Sonics ( Kemp ) and remember Jordan never lost a finals. LeBron has lost 3 and got exposed by San Antonio.

ron_mexico

Rising Star
Registered
Jordan won his titles while competing against Utah ( Malone/Stockton ), Houston ( Akeem ), Portland ( Drexler ), Lakers ( Scott, Worthy ), Phoenix (Barkley ), Sonics ( Kemp ) and remember Jordan never lost a finals. LeBron has lost 3 and got exposed by San Antonio.

2 of those 3 finals loses are legit arguments against his legacy. His first finals loss I can't hold against him. That Cavs team that got swept by the spurs had no business making it to the finals.

Brother Blues

Deceased - Nov. 4, 2015
BGOL Legend
If he carries this team past GS,like he did last night...:smh:

I'll give it to him...over Jo,Ja,Jor,Jordan:eek:

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Rising Star
Registered
The biggest difference is, MJ won titles with a basic core, especially Top 50 player Pippen, LeBron has went to 5 finals with different teams, and has played on arguably worse teams than any team Jordan played on during his 'legacy' years...

The 6-0 vs 2-5 debate definitely is in Jordan's favor, but in terms of on court play, and resources, the discussion is now 'arguably' instead of a forgone conclusion for Jordan.

LeBron's story is still being written, Jordan's is complete, so to completely write LeBron off in this context when there are still more chapters to be written in his book is not really an intelligent position to take... :hmm:

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
The biggest difference is, MJ won titles with a basic core, especially Top 50 player Pippen, LeBron has went to 5 finals with different teams, and has played on arguably worse teams than any team Jordan played on during his 'legacy' years...

The 6-0 vs 2-5 debate definitely is in Jordan's favor, but in terms of on court play, and resources, the discussion is now 'arguably' instead of a forgone conclusion for Jordan.

LeBron's story is still being written, Jordan's is complete, so to completely write LeBron off in this context when there are still more chapters to be written in his book is not really an intelligent position to take... :hmm:

lol

lebron has gone with 2 teams.

1 team that had no business being there and got swept

and the other is a core of 3 of the top 5 players in the nba

let's not act like he's had massive changes of scenery every single year and somehow made 5 trips

4 of them were with chris bosh and wade.

lebron will be #2 all time to play this game in the court of public opinion and #1 to some

2-5 in titles does hurt him a lot. we can throw out the 1st one and still say 2-4 which is just ok as opposed to 6-6

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Rising Star
Registered
Question, when it's all said and done, if he retires undefeated, who for their careers was the better fighter, Floyd or Joe Calzaghe? Floyd or Rocky Marchiano? Floyd or Richardo Lopez?

HotNixon36

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The difference between Jordan and Lebron is, Jordan never pulled a "no show" performance in the playoffs, win, lose, or draw. Also, Jordan faced teams with Hall of Famers in each round of the playoffs, most of the time.

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Rising Star
Registered
The difference between Jordan and Lebron is, Jordan never pulled a "no show" performance in the playoffs, win, lose, or draw. Also, Jordan faced teams with Hall of Famers in each round of the playoffs, most of the time.

This really has absolutely no relevance in this discussion because most of the players LeBron has played against are still active or not eligible for the HOF voting yet, and there were a few games where Jordan laid eggs and was bailed out by his teammates so... :hmm:

ron_mexico

Rising Star
Registered

I hold those no shows against Boston and Dallas against Lebron more than anything. Even more than his finals loses to the Spurs. That's why it would be hard for me to put him above Jordan...but on the other hand LBJ is best example of a star who makes his team mates better. I think he embodies that more than anyone I've ever seen.

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
Question, when it's all said and done, if he retires undefeated, who for their careers was the better fighter, Floyd or Joe Calzaghe? Floyd or Rocky Marchiano? Floyd or Richardo Lopez?

Floyd

but this is why it should never be all time in any sport

i think Lebron is the greatest of this generation.

I think Jordan was the greatest of his generation

Wilt of his...etc

Floyd is the greatest of this generation bar none.

durham

Rising Star
Platinum Member
not even close. Bron is not even the best at his position. That would be Larry Bird imo.

Lebron has looked terrible in far too many big games/playoff games/finals and he is playing in a no defense pro offense era.

Jordan went 6 for 6 and was dominant in ALL OF THEM. look at the per game averages, the high level defense. its not even close.

imo he has to get to six, and win WITHOUT D.Wade first before its even a consideration. and sorry Cleveland with that owner, no way this team can sustain that level of success for the next 4-10 years for him to get four more rings

Golden State is on the clock for the next Spurs like dynasty, especially if they can keep Green.

just enjoy his game, why do sports fans always have to try and compare/contrast players while they are still playing

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Rising Star
Registered
Floyd

Wilt of his...etc

And this is honestly one of the most intelligent statements I've read on this GOAT subject. From Jordans exploits, to Wilts dominance, to Magics showtime, all are subjective based on the climate, competitions and league at the time. Players should be judged in eras, but to weigh one over the other is based solely non-factual info. And I am one of the BIGGEST Jordan disciples living! :D

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
The East is weak sauce. However, if the Cavs manage to beat GS after having lost Love and with Kyrie barely making it through, it's going to make a huge statement.

But kind of like how Wade had nothing left last year against the Spurs, I think Lebron is about to meet up in the finals against the superior team that's playing extremely well...and lose. Maybe GS will choke up having never been there before..

If they win, I think it might rank as one of the greatest feats in NBA History. This is not a great squad, this shit it working because Lebron can fill in on both sides of the floor for both Kyrie and Love.. that shit's CRAZY.

shaddyvillethug

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Do YALL remember jordan in the 4th in the playoffs?

Better yet

YALL remember Kobe in the playoffs?????????!!?!?!?!?

Lebron james dumars

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
The East is weak sauce. However, if the Cavs manage to beat GS after having lost Love and with Kyrie barely making it through, it's going to make a huge statement.

But kind of like how Wade had nothing left last year against the Spurs, I think Lebron is about to meet up in the finals against the superior team that's playing extremely well...and lose. Maybe GS will choke up having never been there before..

If they win, I think it might rank as one of the greatest feats in NBA History. This is not a great squad, this shit it working because Lebron can fill in on both sides of the floor for both Kyrie and Love.. that shit's CRAZY.

:yes:

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
Floyd

Wilt of his...etc

I lean towards this now. I just like to say the greatest of their generation in sports now..

SWATL5000

Potential Star
BGOL Investor
Not even close ... Especially with Flagrant rules ... Cavs will go down in Flames against GSW:angry:

HotNixon36

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This really has absolutely no relevance in this discussion because most of the players LeBron has played against are still active or not eligible for the HOF voting yet, and there were a few games where Jordan laid eggs and was bailed out by his teammates so... :hmm:

So you are comparing these clowns Lebron has faced to opponents Jordan had to face in the 80's and 90's every single round?

Also, people forget, Jordan sat out 2 years in his prime, and came back and 3 peated. There is no reason in my mind to believe he would not have won 8 straight rings if he had never taken a break. Rings are not exclusive, NBA Champ MVP's are exclusive. If he wins 7 Champ MVP's, then I will put him over Jordan and Kareem,maybe....