Zab Judah interview on Amir Khan fight strategy

merce77

Star
Registered
By Geoffrey Ciani

Regarding his upcoming junior welterweight unification bout against Amir Khan:

“It’s going to be a great match in boxing. I’m prepared well. I’m just excited about the opportunity. Once again I thank my Lord and savior Jesus Christ for this opportunity, and July 23 we’re going to show the world Zab Judah is still the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world.”

On his recent journey back towards the top which culminated in him winning a title last time out against Kaizer Mabuza:

“Oh, like I said, it’s been a dream come true. I’m just keeping the Lord first and letting him dictate my pace. Boxing closed a coffin on Zab Judah, put the nails in, and buried him, but God brought him back to life.”

Regarding the on-line war of words between him and Khan that has been taking place on Twitter:

“Twitter is a great social device. It’s almost like having a huge text message with having everyone’s number without talking to them. You can just text everybody. It’s pretty cool. Like I said, July 23 is going to be a great fight. I’m happy the opportunity presented itself. We weren’t expecting for the Timothy Bradley and Amir Khan fight to fall out, but it did. That’s the good will of the Lord. I’m very happy and very pleased and I’m going to be 100% ready for this opportunity.”

His views on what Amir Khan has accomplished thus far in professional boxing:

“He’s fairly new to the division. He’s fairly new to the situation that he’s going to be in. You know he’s fought pretty decent opposition on his way up, and now I think his toughest task to date comes to hand. I think this fight for him is a little premature, but hey. Who knows? I worked very hard for this opportunity and July 23 I’ll just let my skills do the talking for it.”

On whether he believes Amir Khan has made a mistake in choosing to face him:

“I mean I can’t say it’s a career mistake because the kid is young. When I was 21 years old I lost my first loss, and I was able to come back and win four more world titles. I don’t think that, it’s just that the kid is young and he’s willing to put his career and his skills and ability on the line.”

Regarding any strategies or plans him and head trainer Pernell Whitaker have discussed for the upcoming match with Khan:

“Yeah, we spoke about it a lot. I mean I can’t share that with you guys. (laughs) We know Amir Khan is a young guy. He possesses a lot of speed, and speed is power. So you know, we’re prepared well and if the fight was tomorrow, we would be all ready to go.”

His views on how he was able to maintain his focus and composure in his last fight when Kaizer Mabuza started coming on strong:

“It just showed my condition and my strategy for boxing. It showed no matter what he was able to think he was going to do, I was on point. I was ready for anything he could bring my way. He’s a very strong fighter. I give Mabuza a lot of credit. He came over from Africa and tried to take back home the IBF championship of the world.”

On how he would rate the punch which led to the knockout against Mabuza amongst the best punches he has landed in his career:

“I don’t know. I mean it was a good clean shot. He made a mistake and I capitalized off it. He switched his feet which for me was an amateur move. You don’t do that. I’m a professional. I shifted myself and he walked up to me, and I let the hard straight left hand go. It was beautifully in my favor, and everybody knows once I get a guy hurt I’m a great finisher.”

His views on the battle of strategies that will take place between head trainers Pernell Whitaker and Freddie Roach:

“Well I mean, speaking for myself, you have a Hall of Fame greatest fighter pound-for-pound the best in the world and one of the great trainers. I think that Pernell Whitaker with being the great fighter that he was, he knows how to put together great strategies. The strategy that Pernell Whitaker put together for Amir Khan is unbelievable! It’s going to be hard work at its best.”

On whether there were any truths to rumors that he was being considered as an opponent for Manny Pacquiao before he signed for a third fight with Juan Manuel Marquez:

“Yeah, there was a lot of realistic possibilities that it could have happened. It was just in the negotiation process, we figured why would we go up to 147 when we can stay right here and fight an opponent like Khan. We’re still going up against Freddie Roach, and hey! It’s going to be great. It’s going to be a great night of boxing. We’re prepared for the best Amir Khan that Amir Khan is going to bring to the table. He’s going to bring his A game and Zab Judah’s going to bring an A+ game.”

On whether he still considers himself to be in his prime:

“Oh, of course! Bernard Hopkins is 46 years old and he just won a world title. Mayweather’s 35 and he’s fighting again to defend his title, so all of these guys are older than me, De La Hoya, Calzaghe. When you look at it people say Zab’s old. How is Zab old when the rest of these guys that are in boxing that are the best fighters in the world, they’re all older than me. People are saying Zab as older because I’ve been in the game a long time. I’ve been in the game since I was 18 years old. I won my first world title at 20 years old. So people have been hearing about me, and then after that I won four more world titles. So I’ve always been on the big scene. My first professional fight was the co main event to Pernell Whitaker on HBO. So people have gotten a good chance to see Zab Judah. I guess after hearing a person’s name so long, Zab Judah, Zab Judah, Zab Judah, you figure oh yeah, he’s old. He’s been around. He’s only 33 years old and I’m feeling great.”

On whether he believes Pernell Whitaker has helped rejuvenate his career and improve his mindset:

“Yeah, Pernell has brought the best out of me. He has helped me get refocused on everything that we’re trying to get into. Him bringing along his expertise and him being a six-time world champion is kind of cool, because this fight right here with me winning this world title will be my sixth world title I’ve won. This is going to be a great accomplishment for me, and I’m happy!”

His views on the return of Floyd Mayweather Junior and his upcoming fight against Victor Ortiz:

“It’s going to be a good fight. Floyd is slick and fast, but Victor’s young. A lot of the young guys are fighting us supposedly old guys. That’s going to be an exciting fight, but I think Floyd’s defense and hand speed is going to be a little bit too much for Ortiz.”

His views on the fact Roger Mayweather predicted he would win his upcoming fight against Amir Khan:

“Well Roger Mayweather was also a great fighter. He was a fighter and he was great. He knows the game of boxing and it’s an honor to have another legend such himself to give me that type of credibility. Like I said, we know each other, we know each other’s styles, and out of the whole ’96 team with myself, Mayweather, and I think Antonio Tarver. He fights the week before me against Danny Green. We’re the only three there still going strong and it’s an accomplishment for me to be associating myself with those type of guys like that.”

His opinion on the perception held by many fans that him and Amir Khan both have “weak chins” and whether he believes that will be a deciding factor in their fight:

“Well the name of the game is to hit and not be hit. I don’t play the who can take the strongest punch game. My strategy is to hit and not be hit. To be honest I’ve only been knocked out one time and that was Kostya Tszyu. The whole world had seen the fight. I was caught with one shot, I went down, I got up, and they stopped it. That was what, the year 2000? It was eleven years ago! (laughs) It was a long time ago. Like I said, people always remember the negative stuff that you do in your life. They don’t remember the good things you do. Hey! I’m okay with that. If people think that getting hit is going to be a factor, then hey, I’ll let them think that.”

His views on whether Kostya Tsyzu deserved to be inducted into the Hall of Fame:

“Yeah, why not! He had a good boxing career, he worked hard, and he had done a lot of good things. He was the undisputed champ. That’s like me going to the Hall of Fame and somebody disputing should Zab Judah go into the Hall of Fame. So I don’t think of that whole ground to say yea or nay. I’m happy for him and his family, and I wish them much success.”

His views on the biggest weapon Amir Khan will bring into the ring against him:

“His size. He has good power, he’s young, and he’s going to come in there. For him it’s a point to make a point to people that he’s ‘King’ Khan. Understand there is only one King and his name is Jesus Christ and on July 23 I will show the world.”

His official prediction on his upcoming fight against Amir Khan on July 23:

“I don’t make predictions. Zab Judah will be victorious whether it goes one round or twelve. I’m going to be victorious. I’m very confident, very eager, and very ready to get this on. I’m just happy to be a part of one of the biggest fights of today once again. It’s a great feeling. So no matter what people say about you, Zab Judah and Amir Khan is a big deal in boxing right now today. It means a lot to me to be in this position.”

One comment on this article had me cryin....

Code:
Originally Posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post
the strategy is for Pernell to shave his head and eyebrows and go in there pretending to be Zab

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=490662

merce77

Star
Registered
Zab sounds grown up, but isn't it too late?

He's only in his early thirties, dude has been beat up a couple times though. Idk. He looked great against Mabuza, I know that was against Mabuza, but he still looked very fast and his power at 140 is up there with the best. At least he never let himself bloat up and get out of shape between fights.:dunno:

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
He's only in his early thirties, dude has been beat up a couple times though. Idk. He looked great against Mabuza, I know that was against Mabuza, but he still looked very fast and his power at 140 is up there with the best. At least he never let himself bloat up and get out of shape between fights.:dunno:

Early 30's is the breakdown phase... son. Only incredible fighters stay competitive at that point and it generally isn't the time for redemption especially when there is a pretty good fighter in front of you. :smh: Khan's chin is the only positive I see in this situation for Judah. Of course, this is probably a decent payday for him. Either way, Khan needs to avenge his lost before I'm going to ride with him in any fight. Prescott isn't a beast and there is no reason this shit hasn't happened.

merce77

Star
Registered
Early 30's is the breakdown phase... son. Only incredible fighters stay competitive at that point and it generally isn't the time for redemption especially when there is a pretty good fighter in front of you. :smh: Khan's chin is the only positive I see in this situation for Judah. Of course, this is probably a decent payday for him. Either way, Khan needs to avenge his lost before I'm going to ride with him in any fight. Prescott isn't a beast and there is no reason this shit hasn't happened.

That used to be the case even ten years ago, but more and more elite fighters are staying effective against young opposition even past their mid thirties. Son? I'm 33.:lol:

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
That used to be the case even ten years ago, but more and more elite fighters are staying effective against young opposition even past their mid thirties. Son? I'm 33.:lol:

Son??? Aren't you from NY...? Or at least, I thought you were. I was brainwashed by a lot of early 90's New York slang when I lived there so no disrespect. Probably should have said dunn...:lol::lol::lol:

merce77

Star
Registered
Son??? Aren't you from NY...? Or at least, I thought you were. I was brainwashed by a lot of early 90's New York slang when I lived there so no disrespect. Probably should have said dunn...:lol::lol::lol:

Now we talkin. Whut up dunn-dunn!?!?:dance::lol::lol:

Yeah I'm from the BX and lived in Queens for a few years in the 90's so I speaks the "dunn language" real well:lol:. No disrespect perceived though. I thought for a second you were way older than I thought you were.:lol:

P03t

Rising Star
OG Investor
Yeah. I'll never put money down on that dude.:smh:

Zab hasn't won a big fight in yrs.....:smh:

I don't believe he will beat a better Khan in England....

grew up in Queens fam :cool:

it ain't BK but its aight.....J/K

merce77

Star
Registered
Zab hasn't won a big fight in yrs.....:smh:

I don't believe he will beat a better Khan in England....

grew up in Queens fam :cool:

it ain't BK but its aight.....J/K

I grew up in the BX, up the block from the old Skate Key. I liked Queens though, especially in the mid to late 90's.:yes:

I the late 90's I used to fuck with this lil broad out in East NY by Shepard Ave when that shit was like a war zone. Used to cop weed from the "People Under the Stairs":lol:

P03t

Rising Star
OG Investor
I grew up in the BX, up the block from the old Skate Key. I liked Queens though, especially in the mid to late 90's.:yes:

I the late 90's I used to fuck with this lil broad out in East NY by Shepard Ave when that shit was like a war zone. Used to cop weed from the "People Under the Stairs":lol:

:lol::cool:

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member

Wow. A lot of New Yorkers here. I used to live ON Shepard Ave in the eighties. New Lots was the train station from hell.

merce77

Star
Registered
Wow. A lot of New Yorkers here. I used to live ON Shepard Ave in the eighties. New Lots was the train station from hell.

Ah I can almost smell the stench of stale piss in the air.:lol::puke:

That train ride from Main Street in flushing Queens (7 line)to Shepherd is not a joke. :smh:

300px-Sheperdavindstairjeh.JPG

That exit looks so much nicer now:lol: In the 90's you'd step out of that shit straight into an M.O.P video.:lol:

merce77

Star
Registered

You lived towards the 2,3,4,5 lines then. Yeah, I remember there used to be an ill Puerto Rican food spot out there.:yes: Don't remember the name though. Oh nah, you lived near the L. I haven't been to Brooklyn in YEARS.:smh:

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member
You lived towards the 2,3,4,5 lines then. Yeah, I remember there used to be an ill Puerto Rican food spot out there.:yes: Don't remember the name though. Oh nah, you lived near the L. I haven't been to Brooklyn in YEARS.:smh:

Actually I lived closer to the 2 and 3 stop at New Lots. However, if you walked up to Livonia, you could catch the L. The Junius St stop on the 2, 3 is on the other side of the overpass from the L. Livonia St is still one of the most dangerous stations ever. I went there a few months ago at 11pm and there were three bloods standing in the area by the turnstyles and lucky me I was the only fucker to get off the train. They all had the red mask things over their mouth and I swear this one guy had eyes that looked just like the guy that shot Ice Cube's brother in Boyz in the Hood. I swore I was about to get jumped but one of them politely asked, "Can I get a swipe sir?". I swiped him through using my unlimited card and he said, "Thank you" and went through while the other two stayed on each corner of the room silent. It was all very weird and I just walked out the station untouched. Once I got outside, the exit left me under some train tracks in a totally dark and unlit area. All I'm going to say is, if you want to get someone killed or seriously fucked up, tell them to meet you at the Livonia St station at 11pm or something and don't show up. And I still haven't told you about that overpass that goes from that same Livonia station to Junius St. You walk on that thing and you just know mad bitches got raped there. The shit is just obvious and then, once you get off the overpass, the exit dumps you right in the middle of a bunch of some of the worst most dangerous projects in the whole fuckin city. Shit is crazy. Oh, that Junius St station is the same one that guy that was running away from Ethan Hawke in Brooklyn's Finest tried to go up before being tackled.

merce77

Star
Registered
Actually I lived closer to the 2 and 3 stop at New Lots. However, if you walked up to Livonia, you could catch the L. The Junius St stop on the 2, 3 is on the other side of the overpass from the L. Livonia St is still one of the most dangerous stations ever. I went there a few months ago at 11pm and there were three bloods standing in the area by the turnstyles and lucky me I was the only fucker to get off the train. They all had the red mask things over their mouth and I swear this one guy had eyes that looked just like the guy that shot Ice Cube's brother in Boyz in the Hood. I swore I was about to get jumped but one of them politely asked, "Can I get a swipe sir?". I swiped him through using my unlimited card and he said, "Thank you" and went through while the other two stayed on each corner of the room silent. It was all very weird and I just walked out the station untouched. Once I got outside, the exit left me under some train tracks in a totally dark and unlit area. All I'm going to say is, if you want to get someone killed or seriously fucked up, tell them to meet you at the Livonia St station at 11pm or something and don't show up. And I still haven't told you about that overpass that goes from that same Livonia station to Junius St. You walk on that thing and you just know mad bitches got raped there. The shit is just obvious and then, once you get off the overpass, the exit dumps you right in the middle of a bunch of some of the worst most dangerous projects in the whole fuckin city. Shit is crazy. Oh, that Junius St station is the same one that guy that was running away from Ethan Hawke in Brooklyn's Finest tried to go up before being tackled.

Damn sun.:lol::smh::smh:

I remember the very first time I went to Brooklyn on the train for self I was about 17 and I was meeting up with a cat I knew from high school. He'd moved to Brooklyn but we kept in touch, and were meeting up to play some ball. As soon as I got to his block the ambulance was there carting off a body. After that shit I was like nah sun, "you should come up to the BX, skate key and shit, mad chicks" I didn't go back to Brownsville until I was like 22:lol::lol::lol:

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member

I remember the very first time I went to Brooklyn on the train for self I was about 17 and I was meeting up with a cat I knew from high school. He'd moved to Brooklyn but we kept in touch, and were meeting up to play some ball. As soon as I got to his block the ambulance was there carting off a body. After that shit I was like nah sun, "you should come up to the BX, skate key and shit, mad chicks" I didn't go back to Brownsville until I was like 22:lol::lol::lol:

:lol: Yeah man, that's ENY/Brownsville for you. Actually, those two parts of Brooklyn are some of the last ghetto forts being held down. Even Bed Stuy is heavily gentrified now. I never thought I'd see white girls jogging in short shorts on Fulton St and Franklin Ave. Those chicks are brave and crazy because they jog that way at 11pm in Prospect Park and I know because sometimes I'm out there too. They don't even stay on the main path, they jet into the bushes in the darkness. Anyway, it's all just amazing to me. ENY is one of the last Brooklyn spots around where you can go and still get that scary 80's feeling.

will_right

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Ah I can almost smell the stench of stale piss in the air.:lol::puke:

That train ride from Main Street in flushing Queens (7 line)to Shepherd is not a joke. :smh:

300px-Sheperdavindstairjeh.JPG

That exit looks so much nicer now:lol: In the 90's you'd step out of that shit straight into an M.O.P video.:lol:
:lol:

will_right

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Skate City was better...moe Chicks Better Sound system too. Empire was da SHIT too doe:yes: And then there was UTICA.......whew those were da days:D