Writer's Circle: How would YOU write Marvel's Black Panther movie? UPDATE:What about the sequel?

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Black Panther Working Title Revealed

Fans will have to wait a bit to see Black Panther return to theaters. The iconic superhero will slink back into cinemas in July 2018 when the solo Black Panther film premieres. Filming on the movie is slated to begin next January, and now, we have finally learned what its working title is.

The working title of Black Panther has officially been coined as ‘Motherland.’ Of course, the name clearly alludes to the story of Black Panther and its focus on Wakanda. The fictional country is often referred to as the hero’s motherland, so does this mean the film will similarly hone in on the African nation?

Well, yes - but we already knew that.

The cast and crew behind Black Panther have been open about the film’s focus in interviews. Chadwick Boseman (T’Challa/Black Panther) told Yahoo! Movies the film willdepict the hero’s origins.

“You’re going to learn about Wakanda, its culture, its traditions, the past,” he said. “You can go through all the comic books and know that there’s more Panthers that have existed in the past - that’s origin.”

Director Ryan Coogler also talked about the film and said the standalone will start shortly after the end of Captain America: Civil War. He told /Film that fans will see T’Challa mourn the loss of his father and explore his new powers as Wakanda’s king.

"Our standalone movie will begin shortly after Civil War ends. So we’ll be able to see him mourning and him starting to take command as king of his own nation. Lots of things are going to occur within regards to that. The country will be under threat from inside and out so we’ll learn what Wakanda is, that nation, as the most technologically advanced nation on the planet. Also, as Wakanda’s rise to prominence happens, it will affect the MCU moving forward which is really exciting.”

To do the origin of Black Panther right, there will need to be a heavy focus on Wakanda itself. The nation is very closely associated with Black Panther, and Wakanda’s hi-tech equipment has made the country one of the most advanced in the Marvel Universe. In the comics, Wakanda defends itself against foreigners to breed its intentional isolationist state. However, Black Panther and the Wakandan people begin to gradually connect with the outside world after years of concealment.

Coogler talked about how the film’s creation of Wakanda would align with its comic book roots while still mirroring real-world culture.

“Africa is such a huge nation,” Cole said. “There are so many countries, each of them with different histories, mythologies, and cultures but what we tried to do was hone in on some of the history, some of the cultural influences and then extrapolate out in our technology, extrapolate out in how we see Wakanda and the different parts of the country and the culture of the country as well. So we wanted to root it in reality first and then build out from there, so we’d feel pretty authentic and grounded.”

blackpanthermovie-191922.png

The film will be directed and co-written by Ryan Coogler. The cast features Chadwick Boseman (42) as Black Panther/T'Challa, Danai Gurira (The Walking Dead) as Okoye, Michael B. Jordan (Fantastic Four) as Erik Killmonger, and Lupita Nyong’o (Star Wars: The Force Awakens) as Nakia.

Black Panther hits theaters on July 6th, 2018.

http://comicbook.com/2016/10/18/black-panther-working-title-revealed/

I'm not made at this title.

but it might change in 2 years...

I hate to say it but I think the later date may be good for all involved.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
CR40Sk_WcAAo3oV.jpg
tumblr_o9m42mb58w1uxae82o1_500_large.png

Hey folks, Harry here... Angela Bassett is the BLACK PANTHER's Momma! That's right, Bassett, who once upon a time had a legion of fans screaming for her to play STORM instead of Halle Berry, will now be playing RAMONDA, T'Challa's noble and enigmatic Stepmother. This is pitch perfect casting - and yet another home run for MARVEL, which just nails stuff like this! Can't you imagine her saying this:

13525557_150035965405736_1064962052_n_large.jpg

Angela Bassett is joining Michael B. Jordan, Forest Whitaker, Lupita Nyong'o, Danai Gurira, Daniel Kaluuya, Winston Duke and Florence Kasumba... oh and of course the great Chadwick Boseman, who've we've already seen kick intense ass in CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR! This film will be hitting our theaters on February 16th, 2018! Aren't you excited? Me too!​

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Cosby Show Star Phylicia Rashad Joins Marvel's Black Panther

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/01/10/cosby-show-star-phylicia-rashad-joins-marvels-black-panther/

Sterling K. Brown is flying high right now. He's got a starring role in NBC's highly-regarded drama series This Is Us, received a Golden Globe nomination for his brilliant work as prosecutor Chris Darden in FX's award-winning mini-series The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story, and four days ago landed a role in Marvel's Black Panther. In all that excitement, Brown slipped up in a recent interview, revealing that Phylicia Rashad is also a member of the Black Panther cast.

"I just worked with Chad [Boseman] on a film called Marshall, about Thurgood Marshall. He’s such a talented human being and a deep soul," Brown told The Undefeated. "He’s the perfect personality to fully inhabit T’Challa. So, to rejoin him, and to work with Academy Award winners … to be with Michael B. Jordan after the incredible work he’s done in Creed. Danai Gurira, Phylicia Rashad, Forest Whitaker — like, it’s embarrassing. I’m good at what I do — I don’t try to do any sort of false modesty — but, ‘Wow! I get to be with all of you people!?!’ I think Ryan Coogler is one of the great storytellers that we have working today. The meeting I had with Nate Moore before I even got to chance to audition for Panther, and to see the level of knowledge, and just passion that he has for the whole universe, and for this project in particular … it’s in such good hands. I worked with Joe Robert Cole — he was one of our writers on The People vs. O.J. who co-writes with Ryan Coogler [on Panther]. Like, everyone is so good at what they do."

Shortly after the interview was posted online and the Rashad reveal became news, her name was deleted from Brown's quote; however, a cached version with Rashad's name still exists. Either way, the cat's already out of the bag.

As for Rashad, the Emmy-nominated actress is best known for portraying Clair Huxtable on the long-running NBC sitcom The Cosby Show (1984–1992). The 68-year-old is also an accomplished stage actress. Back in 2004, based on her performance in A Raisin in the Sun, Rashad became the first black actress to win aTony Award for Best Actress in a Play.

Furthermore, Rashad's addition to the cast shouldn't come as much of a surprise as she previously worked with its director, Ryan Coogler, on Creed — the Rocky-spinoff.

blackpanther-cosbyshowstar-224014.png

MORE: Sterling K. Brown Joins Black Panther / Danai Gurira Compares Black Panther Role To The Walking Dead's Michonne / Black Panther Filming Date Revealed / Black Panther Production Details / Marvel's Black Panther Casts Angela Bassett / Black Panther Working Title Revealed / Chadwick Boseman Teases We Might See Other Black Panthers

Black Panther has been an important character in the Marvel universe for 50 years. He is the king of the technologically-advanced nation of Wakanda, and Panther has served as a member of the Avengers in addition to his many solo adventures.

The cast features Chadwick Boseman (Captain America: Civil War) as T’Challa/Black Panther, Michael B. Jordan (Fantastic Four) as Erik Killmonger, Danai Gurira (The Walking Dead) as Okoye, Lupita Nyong’o (Star Wars: The Force Awakens) as Nakia, Angela Bassett (Green Lantern) as Ramonda, T'Challa's mother, and Forest Whitaker (Rogue One: A Star Wars Story) as Zuri. The cast also includes Daniel Kaluuya (Black Mirror) as W’Kabi, Winston Duke (Person of Interest) as M’Baku, Florence Kasumba (Captain America: Civil War) as Ayo, and Letitia Wright (Doctor Who) as Serita.

The film is being directed and co-written by Creed and Fruitvale Station filmmaker, Ryan Coogler, and production is expected to get underway this January.

Black Panther will slash into theaters on February 16, 2018.

ansatsusha_gouki

Land of the Heartless
Platinum Member
New Black Panther Synopsis Released by Marvel Studios

Marvel sent out a press release Thursday afternoon announcing the offiical start of production for Black Panther, which is shooting concurrently with Avengers: Infinity War. The movie, from director Ryan Coogler and starring Chadwick Boseman, also got a brand-new synopsis, revealing a little look behind the story of the film.

Black Panther follows T’Challa who, after the events of Captain America: Civil War, returns home to the isolated, technologically advanced African nation of Wakanda to take his place as King. However, when an old enemy reappears on the radar, T’Challa’s mettle as King and Black Panther is tested when he is drawn into a conflict that puts the entire fate of Wakanda and the world at risk."

The new synopsis tells us, first, some things we already knew: Black Panther returned to Wakanda at the end of Civil War, after all, with a contained Winter Soldier and Captain America in tow. However, him officially taking on the role of King of Wakanda, and the presence of Michael B. Jordan's Kilmonger in the synopsis are both new.

The press release also officially acknowledged Martin Freeman and Andy Serkis in the cast, returning to roles from Civil War and Avengers: Age Of Ultron. The full announced cast list follows:

Chadwick Boseman (“Captain America: Civil War,” “Get on Up”), Michael B. Jordan (“Creed,” “Fruitvale Station”), Academy Award® winner Lupita Nyong’o (“Star Wars: The Force Awakens,” “12 Years a Slave”), Danai Gurira (“The Walking Dead,” upcoming “All Eyez on Me”), Martin Freeman (“Hobbit” trilogy, “Sherlock”), Daniel Kaluuya (upcoming “Get Out,” “Sicario”), with Academy Award® nominee Angela Bassett (“American Horror Story,” “London Has Fallen”), with Academy Award® winner Forest Whitaker (“Rogue One: A Star Wars Story,” Lee Daniels’ “The Butler”), and Andy Serkis (“Avengers: Age of Ultron,” “Star Wars: The Force Awakens”).

Additional cast members include Letitia Wright (“Urban Hymn,” “Glasgow Girls”), Winston Duke (“Person of Interest, “Modern Family”), Florence Kasumba (“Captain America: Civil War,” “Emerald City”), Sterling K. Brown (“Whiskey Tango Foxtrot,” “The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story”) and John Kani (“Captain America: Civil War,” “Coriolanus”).

http://comicbook.com/2017/01/26/new-black-panther-synopsis-released-by-marvel-studios/

meilmarc

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
@MarvelFirst
Everything i've seen from Black Panther is amazing, looking to be similiar in tone to "Winter Soldier", The action will surpass it, no doubt

ansatsusha_gouki

Land of the Heartless
Platinum Member
New Concept Art Shows Off Black Panther's Wakanda and Thor: Ragnarok's Villain Hela

Included on the Doctor Strange digital release are a couple of looks at the upcoming Black Panther and Thor: Ragnarok movies. These looks are in the form of concept art, which almost entirely focuses on the technologically impressive capital of Wakanda and people who want to hurt Thor badly.

Save for one bit of art with T’Challa on top of a car, there are two kinds of Black Panther concept art shared in the “Marvel Studios Phase 3 Exclusive Look” featurette included on the DVD: “T’Challa in costume in the jungle” or “holy shit, look at Wakanda!” Both types are pretty impressive:

The Thor: Ragnarok shots are more dynamic, showing off a possible look for Cate Blanchett’s villain Hela (it looks just enough like Suicide Squad’s Enchantress to give me flashbacks) and Hulk attacking Thor in an arena, wearing that gladiator outfit we saw on display at Comic-Con over the summer.

ynziaedzqqrnyjqqwpgu.jpg

ykao0k7bxtrxfyffwwl7.png

laodwviwwx3ctfyadiaw.jpg

acdv7vr3b2sffjwhkv4b.png

de2f1douyas29xrjbzie.png

hhadwh5mlebt1kjbzhap.png

http://io9.gizmodo.com/new-concept-art-shows-off-black-panthers-wakanda-and-th-1792340554

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
@MarvelFirst
Everything i've seen from Black Panther is amazing, looking to be similiar in tone to "Winter Soldier", The action will surpass it, no doubt

the Russo Brothers are involved so is the director of Guardians of the Galaxy...

I am VERY happy everyone is so invested in this being a GREAT experience.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
New Black Panther Synopsis Released by Marvel Studios

Marvel sent out a press release Thursday afternoon announcing the offiical start of production for Black Panther, which is shooting concurrently with Avengers: Infinity War. The movie, from director Ryan Coogler and starring Chadwick Boseman, also got a brand-new synopsis, revealing a little look behind the story of the film.

Black Panther follows T’Challa who, after the events of Captain America: Civil War, returns home to the isolated, technologically advanced African nation of Wakanda to take his place as King. However, when an old enemy reappears on the radar, T’Challa’s mettle as King and Black Panther is tested when he is drawn into a conflict that puts the entire fate of Wakanda and the world at risk."

The new synopsis tells us, first, some things we already knew: Black Panther returned to Wakanda at the end of Civil War, after all, with a contained Winter Soldier and Captain America in tow. However, him officially taking on the role of King of Wakanda, and the presence of Michael B. Jordan's Kilmonger in the synopsis are both new.

The press release also officially acknowledged Martin Freeman and Andy Serkis in the cast, returning to roles from Civil War and Avengers: Age Of Ultron. The full announced cast list follows:

Chadwick Boseman (“Captain America: Civil War,” “Get on Up”), Michael B. Jordan (“Creed,” “Fruitvale Station”), Academy Award® winner Lupita Nyong’o (“Star Wars: The Force Awakens,” “12 Years a Slave”), Danai Gurira (“The Walking Dead,” upcoming “All Eyez on Me”), Martin Freeman (“Hobbit” trilogy, “Sherlock”), Daniel Kaluuya (upcoming “Get Out,” “Sicario”), with Academy Award® nominee Angela Bassett (“American Horror Story,” “London Has Fallen”), with Academy Award® winner Forest Whitaker (“Rogue One: A Star Wars Story,” Lee Daniels’ “The Butler”), and Andy Serkis (“Avengers: Age of Ultron,” “Star Wars: The Force Awakens”).

Additional cast members include Letitia Wright (“Urban Hymn,” “Glasgow Girls”), Winston Duke (“Person of Interest, “Modern Family”), Florence Kasumba (“Captain America: Civil War,” “Emerald City”), Sterling K. Brown (“Whiskey Tango Foxtrot,” “The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story”) and John Kani (“Captain America: Civil War,” “Coriolanus”).

http://comicbook.com/2017/01/26/new-black-panther-synopsis-released-by-marvel-studios/

:angry:

why is Phylicia Rashad not included in the cast listing?

ansatsusha_gouki

Land of the Heartless
Platinum Member
Black Panther: Angela Bassett's Intense Training Regime Revealed

While fans will have to wait until 2018 to see Black Panther's impressive cast in action, some recently-revealed details show just how much one star is preparing for her role.

Angela Bassett, who will play the title character's mother, Ramonda, has been going through intense workouts for her performance in the film, according to her trainer, Corey Calliet. Calliet spoke to People.com about the processes he and the actress are using to train her for the role, which sounds pretty action-packed.

"It’s a very hard 45 minutes to an hour," Calliet reveals, referring to the workout regimen he has planned for her. "Because you’re going all the time, and I don’t give too many breaks unless you’re about to puke, faint or die. You have bring the pain every day when we train. It’s the only way you’re going to get the results to look amazing on the screen."

According to Calliet, the workout will include rotations of movements such as jump squats, lunges, push-ups, mountain climbers, and high knees. The workout is based around what is becoming known as 'high-intensity interval training.'

"You do each movement for 30 seconds," Calliet explains. "then you take a break, get the heart rate down to get it right back up. The reason why I like doing it so much is because it’s the fastest and the most effective way to burn fat."

In addition to Bassett, Calliet will work with another one of the film's stars, Michael B. Jordan, who he helped train for the award-nominated drama Creed. Because of this, Calliet will be on set pretty regularly, and will help Bassett train throughout the whole process of filming.

"While she’s filming, she’ll be with me every day. We film five days a week and I’m always on set, so if she needs something to happen, I’ll be there guiding her to make sure everything is going well. I’ll be her shadow — I’ll see what she ate, how much water she drank, training her when she gets off. It will be hard on her part, but she will enjoy the results."

While this regimen might sound intimidating, the trainer reassures that it will lead to amazing results from the actress in Black Panther.

"I’m taking what she has and making it 10 times better and giving her the shape that she wants."

Black Panther is filming now for a February 16, 2018 release.

Black Panther follows T’Challa who, after the events of Captain America: Civil War, returns home to the isolated, technologically advanced African nation of Wakanda to take his place as King. However, when an old enemy reappears on the radar, T’Challa’s mettle as King and Black Panther is tested when he is drawn into a conflict that puts the entire fate of Wakanda and the world at risk.

The film stars Chadwick Boseman, Michael B. Jordan, Lupita Nyong’o, Danai Gurira , Martin Freeman, Daniel Kaluuya, Angela Bassett, Forest Whitaker, and Andy Serkis. Additional cast members include Letitia Wright, Winston Duke, Florence Kasumba, Sterling K. Brown, and John Kani.

Ryan Coogler directs from a screenplay he co-wrote with Joe Robert Cole.

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/03/09/marvel-black-panther-angela-bassett-workout/

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Black Panther: Angela Bassett's Intense Training Regime Revealed

While fans will have to wait until 2018 to see Black Panther's impressive cast in action, some recently-revealed details show just how much one star is preparing for her role.

Angela Bassett, who will play the title character's mother, Ramonda, has been going through intense workouts for her performance in the film, according to her trainer, Corey Calliet. Calliet spoke to People.com about the processes he and the actress are using to train her for the role, which sounds pretty action-packed.

"It’s a very hard 45 minutes to an hour," Calliet reveals, referring to the workout regimen he has planned for her. "Because you’re going all the time, and I don’t give too many breaks unless you’re about to puke, faint or die. You have bring the pain every day when we train. It’s the only way you’re going to get the results to look amazing on the screen."

According to Calliet, the workout will include rotations of movements such as jump squats, lunges, push-ups, mountain climbers, and high knees. The workout is based around what is becoming known as 'high-intensity interval training.'

"You do each movement for 30 seconds," Calliet explains. "then you take a break, get the heart rate down to get it right back up. The reason why I like doing it so much is because it’s the fastest and the most effective way to burn fat."

In addition to Bassett, Calliet will work with another one of the film's stars, Michael B. Jordan, who he helped train for the award-nominated drama Creed. Because of this, Calliet will be on set pretty regularly, and will help Bassett train throughout the whole process of filming.

"While she’s filming, she’ll be with me every day. We film five days a week and I’m always on set, so if she needs something to happen, I’ll be there guiding her to make sure everything is going well. I’ll be her shadow — I’ll see what she ate, how much water she drank, training her when she gets off. It will be hard on her part, but she will enjoy the results."

While this regimen might sound intimidating, the trainer reassures that it will lead to amazing results from the actress in Black Panther.

"I’m taking what she has and making it 10 times better and giving her the shape that she wants."

Black Panther is filming now for a February 16, 2018 release.

Black Panther follows T’Challa who, after the events of Captain America: Civil War, returns home to the isolated, technologically advanced African nation of Wakanda to take his place as King. However, when an old enemy reappears on the radar, T’Challa’s mettle as King and Black Panther is tested when he is drawn into a conflict that puts the entire fate of Wakanda and the world at risk.

The film stars Chadwick Boseman, Michael B. Jordan, Lupita Nyong’o, Danai Gurira , Martin Freeman, Daniel Kaluuya, Angela Bassett, Forest Whitaker, and Andy Serkis. Additional cast members include Letitia Wright, Winston Duke, Florence Kasumba, Sterling K. Brown, and John Kani.

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/03/09/marvel-black-panther-angela-bassett-workout/

tumblr_lq5mxuFBzR1qm6s2g.gif

ansatsusha_gouki

Land of the Heartless
Platinum Member
Black Panther: Letitia Wright Confirmed as Shuri

The details about Marvel's upcoming Black Panther are gradually beginning to be revealed. The film's first official set photo was unveiled today, and now some new details about the film have been revealed during Disney's presentation at CinemaCon.

Among other things, the presentation unveiled the full main cast from the film - and one particular member caught our eye. We now know that Doctor Who actress Letitia Wright - who had previously been cast in a mystery role - will in fact be playing Shuri.

For the uninitiated, Shuri is a member of the Wakandan royal family, and the younger sister of T'Challa (Chadwick Boseman). Shuri debuted in 2005's Black Panther Vol. 4 #2 as a supporting character, but later went on to adopt the Black Panther mantle in her brother's absence.

It's safe to assume that Shuri becoming the Black Panther will not be shown in the upcoming solo film, but fans can expect to see the character kick some major butt in her first big-screen outing.

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/03/29/black-panther-letitia-wright-shuri/

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
That 'New Black Panther Movie Costume' You've Been Seeing Everywhere Is Actually Just an Action Figure

gaq0imalw6wk0hxl2mfz.png

Image Credit: John Aslarona

You might have seen claims around the internet today that Chadwick Boseman would be getting a slightly updated new costume in the Black Panther solo film. However, the images floating around are not from a Marvel Movie—they’re the subtle, but fun, work of a toy customizer.

News of a “new Black Panther suit” has spent the past few hours popping up on Twitter. This is thanks to the breathless bevy of entertainment news accounts passing around the same images of a highly detailed version of the Civil War Black Panther suit, claiming they were new press images of an updated design for the upcoming movie. It’s pretty much the same suit, except this time, the metallic pieces are rendered in gold, evoking classic Black Panther designs from the comics.

Yes, it looks pretty damn cool—it’d be a great update to the current movie suit. But sadly, these are not images from the set of Black Panther. They’re the work of graphic designer John Aslarona, who shared the images on his Instagram account last night.

That’s right—these are actually photos of a subtle repaint of Hot Toys’ own 1/6 scale Civil War Black Panther figure, just with the silver parts done over in a very effective gold. Maybe it’s a testament to the quality of Hot Toys that these pictures from Aslarona have managed to get posted around the web like they’re an actual official movie suit, but also it serves as a good reminder: don’t trust everything you see online at first glance.

Black Panther—presumably with the same suit we’ve seen in Civil War already—is due to hit theaters in February 2018.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/that-new-black-panther-movie-costume-youve-been-seeing-1794231544